- Text Size +
Story Notes:

 

 

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

 

 

"Brian? Is the Jeep loaded up?"

"Yes."

"All the bags?"

"Yes, Justin."

"You have the tickets?"

"Yes, dear."

"Sure?"

"In my pocket."

"Just checking. Bri?"

"Got that too."

"Oh, okay. Is the..."

"All secured."

"Okay, I guess we're ready to go."

"Yes, we are."

"Brian!"

"Shush, you'll wake the Squirt. Now, will you calm your ass down or do I have to fuck you into oblivion?"

"Sorry, it's just..."

"I know, Sunshine. Our very first vacation..."

"Working vacation. You have clients to see and I have a show."

"I stand corrected. Working vacation with the Squirt and you're excited. Well, so am I.

So let's get this show on the road."

"Brian, why do you insist on calling her that? One little indiscretion and our daughter is forever tagged with the nickname, Squirt."

"Well, if the nickname fits, Sunshine. And that little indiscretion as you put it, cost me my favorite Gucci shirt."

"If you had taken off your favorite Gucci shirt before you changed her diaper, it wouldn't have gotten messed up."

"We're not having this discussion again."

"Fine. Bri, are you sure this is a good idea? I mean bringing the baby."

"Justin, she's five months old and you've been hovering over her from the minute she was born. You really want to leave her home?"

"No, I don't and don't talk to me about hovering. Claire and Debbie both have volunteered to babysit on a regular basis. But NOOO! Mr. I'd Rather Go To My Meetings With A Baby Strapped to My Chest. You remind me of a kangaroo."

"Not going there, Mr. I Can Paint With A Baby On My Back. And how long did it take to get the paint out of Bree's hair?"

"Fuck you."

"Later, at the hotel. Justin, I am concerned about the flight. Babies don't do well on planes."

"I know. But her doctor said if we bring her bottles and pacifier to suck on, it should help her with the pressure changes. And you've been practicing with her and the ear plugs so I think she'll be okay. Are you sure it's a good idea to bring her to your meetings?"

"Justin, all I have to do is stand there, sell my pitch and look pretty. I can do that with or without Miss Squirt strapped to my chest or riding on my hip. And I'd rather have her with me. I've done it at Kinnetik and at Part Deux. She already has the rep of being the youngest ad exec in history."

"I'm sure her designer label sleepers help."

"Don't knock our designer labels, Mr. I Should Have Stock In Cargo Pants. I've won many accounts with my impeccable good taste in clothes. Un-like someone in this Jeep."

"I'm an artist. I don't need any labels on my back. I can paint naked if I want to."

"Mmm. Now there's a very lovely image."

"Down, big guy; concentrate on the road. Speaking about roads. Are we driving all the way to the airport?"

"No. Just to the loft. I'll park the Jeep in the garage. I have a limo arranged so we don't have to deal with long term parking."

"Good idea. Bri, I am excited. This is my first one man show in LA. I hope they like my paintings."

"They did before when you were showcased with other young artists. You'll wow them again. I'm very proud of you, you know."

"I know, and I'm very proud of you too."

"Me? I haven't done anything."

"Yes, you have. You've done everything to make me feel happy and safe. You've made it possible for me to concentrate on my art and not worry about anything else. I appreciate that. You didn't think I noticed, well, I did; still do. I've noticed it every day since we've been together and it just makes me love you more and more each day."

"Enough, Justin, because there's not enough hours in the day for me to tell you what you've done for me."

"Okay. Let's just say we are two very lucky men and we are the perfect couple."

"Perfect family, now."

"Perfect."

With perfect timing, Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor chose that moment to awaken and make her presence known in the back seat of the Jeep. Justin twisted around to check on his daughter and squeeze her foot. Briana opened her sleepy blue eyes and smiled her own sunshine smile at her father. Brian saw her in the rear view mirror and couldn't help but smile himself. Their decision to have a baby was a carefully planned one. Brian insisted that Justin be the biological father. Brian wanted a blond blue-eyed baby, just like his Sunshine. They went through a ton of surrogates until they found one that looked a lot like Molly and Jennifer. They both hoped that genetics would be in their favor. As it turned out, Briana, who was born on April 10, 2012, wound up with deep violet blue eyes and strawberry blond hair. Brian and Justin couldn't have been more ecstatic.

And now they were on their way to Pittsburgh and then on to Los Angeles. Brian, for a set of meetings with several clients and with a local young, up and coming ad agency that expressed a desire to partner with Kinnetik. And Justin, for his first solo LA show.

Sidney Bloom was already in California as well as Justin's paintings. Justin wanted to get to LA early before the show opened to arrange his paintings in groups. Justin was so inspired by the arrival of Spring and his Spring baby that he went into overdrive. Painting the local flora and fauna with zeal. He even did a grouping inspired by his family. Brian's 'Stud Amongst the Palms' was included as well as 'Stud with Baby.'

Brian chose to work as much as he could from home so that he could look after Briana from the time she was born. When Briana was about a month old, Justin had come home from doing errands to find Brian and their daughter fast asleep in the middle of their huge brass bed on the sun porch. Briana was securely wrapped in her father's arms, snoozing away on Brian's chest. At forty-two, Brian remained forever young and beautiful, his peaceful sleeping expression was only enhanced by their sleeping daughter. Justin quickly got out his sketch pad to capture the moment.

John had finished the renovations to the porch and to the attic, the previous year. The whole back of the house was now attached to the enlarged sun porch. The master bedroom had a sliding door to access the porch and the attic which was accessible by a spiral staircase had a small balcony overlooking the porch. The brass bed was now on the side of the porch partially hidden by the potted palms. There was more wicker furniture to give the large open area symmetry. Justin's studio remained where it was but now he no longer had to break it down every time they entertained. The original wicker was arranged just beyond the studio area. In the middle was a long formal dining table, big enough to seat their entire extended family and above a huge crystal chandelier. Brian's office was now transformed into the nursery, and the attic, Brian's new office and guest room. Their growing family warranted a growing house.

"Justin, wake up, we're landing."

"Landing? Didn't we just take off?"

"Yeah, like five hours ago."

"Bree?"

"She's fine. Been sleeping right along with her Daddy."

"You've been holding her all this time? You must be exhausted. I'll take her."

"Why don't you stretch first? When we're at the gate you can take her while I get the bags."

"Brian, you're doing too much. We'll both get the bags. The Squirt will be fine in her carrier on my chest. I love you, you big mush."

"Love you too, Sunshine. Let's get off this plane and to our hotel so I can show just how much."

*****

The following day after their arrival in LA, Justin went to the gallery to arrange his paintings as he wanted them displayed. Brian and Bree went to meet Kinnetik's potential new partner.

"Mr. Kinney, I'm Joseph Reilly. I'm so glad to finally meet you in person."

"Same here and it's Brian, by the way."

"And who is this?"

"Allow me to introduce you to Miss Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor, my executive assistant."

"I must say, Brian, I've never met such an attractive executive assistant who appears to be so happy chomping on a frog-shaped pacifier. I may have to invest in some of those."

"Believe me, it's a life saver. Now, tell me why Kinnetik should become your partner."

*****

"Brian, how did your meeting go with Mr. Reilly?"

"Very well. Kinnetik may have a new partner."

"I'm happy for you."

"You don't sound happy."

"I'm just not sure how this will work. You've always retained control over your ads and the type of clients you sought out. Will you still be able to retain that control?"

"It's not about control, Justin. It's about freedom. Expansion."

"I understand the expansion part but I don't understand the freedom."

"Think of Reilly's agency like Kinnetik Part Deux and when I first started out on my own. He's cultivated a lot of good steady clients. But every time he's tried for that big national campaign someone like Kinnetik or Vance swoops in and it's gone in a flash. His ideas are good but they don't always have that edge Kinnetik's known for. With Kinnetik's association, Reilly will have the time to create an ad without fear that another agency will spirit it away. Reilly will get that luxury, the freedom to take his time with the preliminary mock up because the client will wait for Kinnetik."

"But what do you get out of it?"

"I can't be on both coasts at the same time. And with the Squirt, I don't want to be flying back and forth. Reilly's single, young, good looking, and highly motivated. He can do what I can't."

"Brian, you can still go anywhere you want to. You know that."

"I know Justin. But that's just it, I don't want to. I want to be home for the Squirt and for you. I missed so much with Gus. I won't make that same mistake again."

The lovers kissed as Justin began to show his appreciation for the decision that Brian was making.

"Brian." All of a sudden Justin's kisses came to an abrupt halt, Justin carefully studying the hazel eyes that were just about glazing over with lust.

"Yes."

"Just how good looking is Reilly?"

"Very," Brian said, hiding the smirk. "But not as good looking as you, Sunshine."

"Right answer, Kinney."

"That's Kinney-Taylor, if you please. Besides he's straight."

"You sure?"

"Yeah, fairly sure."

"You work the old Kinney charm on him?"

"No, and besides I think my executive assistant would have protested."

"Executive assistant? What executive assistant?"

"Miss Squirt. She was on my hip throughout my tour of Reilly's offices."

"Oh, that executive assistant. And did she approve of Reilly's set up?"

"Seems like she did. But then she got bored and fell asleep in her stroller. She was very good. Thank the gods she has your temperament."

"If she had yours, we'd be in real trouble. I don't think I could handle two of you."

"Watch it there, Sunshine. So, when's your big shindig?"

"Tomorrow night at nine. You'll be there, won't you? I'm kinda nervous."

"Wouldn't miss it. But why are you nervous? You've done this dozens of times, in a lot of galleries and in New York. Why would it be any different here?"

"I'm not sure. Maybe because Sidney heard through the grapevine that Brett and some of his cohorts may show up. After the Rage debacle, I'm sort of embarrassed to come back here." Brian met Justin's weary and disappointed eyes with his own indignant ones.

"Justin Taylor-Kinney!" Brian growled. "You have nothing to be embarrassed about. And guess what. If Brett and his buddies have enough brain matter between them, they'll realize that they shot themselves in their collective asses. You are ten times more talented and famous than all of them put together. And ten times smarter and ten times more beautiful and..."

"Stop! I get it." Justin laughed as he flung himself into Brian's arms, kissing him senseless. "I love you, you know."

"I know. Now, I think it's time for some very important business."

"What?"

"I think the Squirt needs changing and we all need dinner. We should make it an early night, tonight. You're going to be one very busy Sunshine, tomorrow. And I want a little cuddle time with someone who doesn't pooh into a diaper."

"Brian, you do say the sweetest things."

"I know!"

*****

Around seven the next evening, Brian watched with strained patience, Justin nervously pacing around their hotel room. They were due at the gallery around eight, the gala opening set for nine. They had plenty of time while they waited for the babysitter to arrive. Brian had decided that a crowded noisy art gallery was no place for their daughter so he had arranged for a sitter to come to their room at seven-thirty. Justin was as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Brian watched his spouse pace, rearrange and count the prepared bottles. Straighten up their already pristine room, tuck the baby in, then loosen the blanket. Justin lined up the diapers, wipes, powder and ointments. Then he recopied the list of emergency phone numbers which included Justin's cell, Brian's cell, Sidney's cell, the phone number for the gallery, hotel manager, and the hotel's emergency doctor. Brian sighed loudly, shook his head then made a grab for his fidgeting young lover.

Justin, secured in Brian's arms was then kissed to within an inch of his life. Brian felt Justin respond and relax. Justin gazed up at his husband and coyly smiled. He realized what Brian was doing. Justin turned his head at the quiet knock on their door then quickly met Brian's gaze.

"Go on. Open it," Brian said softly. Justin went immediately to the door.

"I'm so glad you're...Claire!?" Justin said with astonishment as he pulled Claire Anderson-McNally into a twink's version of a bear hug.

"Hello..." Claire's greeting was muffled by Justin's hug.

"What are you doing here?"

"Someone asked me to babysit a certain young lady and I very happily agreed."

"You came three thousand miles to babysit?" Justin alternated his gaze between Claire and Brian. Claire smiled, Brian shrugged.

"Brian, how could you?"

"Now, don't go getting all upset at Brian. I had to practically twist his arm to allow me to do this. We all knew about this trip and either myself or Debbie was all set to go. Brian made all the arrangements. Debbie wound up with a slight head cold so asked if I could come. Steve is busy with the Fall harvest and closing down the Farm for the season. I had no reason not to come out and every good reason why I should. Plus, it will give me a chance to look up some distant relatives of mine. So this was a good decision for everyone. Now if you're through with your queen out, I'll check on my little angel, then you can scoot."

Claire winked at Brian then went to see the sleeping Briana.

"Why Brian?"

"You know why. I did check out the hotel's babysitting service and while they were all very qualified I knew that neither one of us would be able to relax and have a good time tonight if the Squirt was in the care of a complete stranger. So I exercised my other options."

Justin smiled warmly at his most considerate and generous husband. "Thank you." He whispered, "Thank you so much. God, Brian, I love you. I don't care how this evening turns out. What you did can never be matched." Justin buried his face into Brian's chest and snuffled.

"No allergies and especially no allergies on my new Gucci shirt. I have to look good to impress your public. Now, let's say goodbye to Claire and kiss the Squirt goodnight." Justin nodded and they went inside Briana's room to say goodnight.

*****

As Brian and Justin approached the gallery doors Justin was nervously bouncing on his toes. In spite of his earlier declaration to Brian, Justin really wanted this night to go well. Rage never got the chance to be completed let alone open. Justin hoped this 'opening' would be a success.

"Justin, breathe, just breathe. Look at Sidney. He's strutting like a peacock. Do you think he would be this excited if he thought the show would flop? I don't think so. Lindsay told me that she cried when she saw your paintings; she was so moved by them. You have nothing to worry about."

Justin nervously nodded as Brian gave him a little push in the right direction. The symbolism was not wasted on Justin who straightened his shoulders, stood up tall and pranced his way toward Sidney. Brian chuckled as he watched the blond head bounce away.

"Brian? Brian Kinney, the man behind Rage. Or should that be the man behind the kid behind Rage."

"Hello, Brett. What brings you here? You decided to see what a real artist can accomplish?"

"Wasn't my fault the backers pulled the plug."

"Your backers were assholes. And that kid, as you call him, has more talent in his little finger than your whole production company. You blew it, Brett. Justin is becoming a household name, here and in Europe. Even if you wanted to try again, your backers wouldn't be able to afford him." Brian leered at Brett then turned to walk away.

"Brian, wait! Do you think Justin would be interested in resurrecting the project again? He still does the comic with Michael. I know that for a fact. I have every issue. Who's his agent? Get me an appointment. I'll get the backers and Justin will have complete artistic control."

"And Michael? Rage is just as much his as Justin's."

"Of course. Tell me his lawyer's name and I'll have him contacted too. I'm serious Brian. Times have really changed. It's time for Rage."

Brian gave Brett his patented smirk then handed Brett Sidney's card as well as Melanie's.

"I'm not promising anything, Brett. I have no influence regarding Justin's choice of project. I will, however, encourage him to be open to your proposal."

"That's all I ask."

Brian nodded then went to find his artist.