- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

"Dad! You made it!" Gus, who was growing like a weed and really his father's son, was already as tall as Justin. He gave Brian a fierce hug. Then he quickly took a look around, not seeing his baby sister or Justin. Gus raised that famous Kinney eyebrow. Brian smirked.

"The Squirt's home with Justin. I figured this climbing stuff was more for the men in the family but don't let your moms know I said that. I think we should wait until Bree's out of diapers before she starts rock climbing." Father and son shared a laugh. "So do I risk breaking my neck before or after the birthday cake?"

"Oh Dad," Gus said with mock exasperation. "You're such a drama queen. Before the cake. If you make it up and down without breaking your neck, you get cake as a reward."

"Greaaat. So I either die proving my manhood or of a heart attack later from the fat content of the cake. Are those my only options?"

"Yup."

"Okay then. Let's get this show on the road, Sonny Boy."

Brian and Gus got geared up and harnessed. They carefully listened to the instructions and then chose side by side 'rock faces' to climb. Lindsay watched with pride as her two favorite men in the whole world started their climb to the top. Both Brian and Gus were all arms and legs, looking awkward at times, but that gave them the ability to pick the right footings. They made it to the top, rang the bells and then started the climb down. Gus was so happy that Brian actually climbed with him and Brian was proud of his son's athletic prowess. Lindsay met them at the bottom and gave them each a congratulatory hug.

"You both looked so good climbing up there," Lindsay exclaimed.

"Oh sure we did," Brian grumbled as he stretched out his screaming legs. "I will sue you if I can't perform my husbandly duties after this."

"Yuck, Dad! Come on, time for cake. I want you to meet my friends." Gus tugged on his father's arm.

"Gus, is this a good idea?" Brian was a little unsure just how much Gus' friend knew about his family.

"Don't worry, Pop. They're cool, really," Gus assured his father. Brian looked at Lindsay and she nodded with a smile. Brian trusted that Lindsay and Gus wouldn't intentionally throw him to the wolves.

"Lead on, Sonny Boy."

After the party, Brian followed Lindsay and Gus back home so that he could give Gus his present. Brian wasn't sure if the super duper new computer would cut it or if the Munchers would give him flak about it but Brian thought he'd go for broke.

"Gus, I got you something. It's out in the Jeep. I could use your help bringing it all in the house." Gus followed Brian back out to the Jeep and helped Brian carry in the boxes that held his new computer. Lindsay and Mel looked on as box after box was brought in and up to Gus' room. Brian held his breath waiting for approval from his son and the inevitable argument from Mel.

"Dad! This is so sweet! Mom, look, it has that program that I've been talking about already pre-installed. And look, the components are so small, it'll fit great. Thank you, Dad. Thank you so much. I really can use this." Gus was showing Melanie all the programs and the manual as Lindsay pulled Brian out into the hall.

"You going to accuse me of buying Gus' love?" Brian asked softly, his prepared statement at the ready to defend himself.

"No, Brian. I'll admit, it's a little extravagant but he needs it and he'll get good use out of it. Mel and I were thinking of getting one for him but..."

"Lindsay, if you need more..."

"No, Brian. I know we never asked you for a specific sum and you've always been so generous. We're fine. More than fine. Melanie's practice has really expanded and Sidney is a wonderful employer. Justin called me while you were in California. He kind of hinted that you wanted to give Gus a computer. Mel and I are okay with the simple stuff but we both knew that you'd know what Gus would like and what's appropriate for him. We decided not to give you any argument about it."

"Linds, I'm trying. I know I missed so much with him. I want him to know me, what I do for a living. Not the other shit that everyone assumes I still do. I really want to be his father."

"I know. And now that he's growing, he needs a father. He needs you. Mel and I won't stand in your way."

"You mean that?" Brian choked out the words. He couldn't believe that Melanie would willingly give up her control.

"I mean it. He's so much like you. So sensitive and he tends to keep stuff in, just like you. But he also sees how you are with Justin and Briana. He sees how strong you are and how loving. He's beginning to understand that you can be the strong tough man and be loving and sensitive. That it's okay for a man to cry."

"Shit." Brian almost sobbed; he so needed to hear this from the one woman he loved the most. Lindsay and Brian hugged, sharing their love for their son. Melanie chose that moment to come out of Gus' room for a brief respite from Gus' enthusiasm.

"Kinney, I think it's time you stopped pawing my wife and went to help your son set that thing up. He's asking me about cables and ports and other shit that I have no idea what he's talking about." Brian could not detect any real anger in Melanie's voice. He nodded and then went back into his son's room.

"Okay, Sonny Boy, let's get this puppy up and running."

"Sure thing, Pop." Lindsay and Mel smiled at the exchange and went down to make coffee, leaving the men to their work. A few hours later, Brian said goodbye to Gus. Gus waved at his dad with his head still buried in the computer's manual and typing commands on the keyboard. Brian shook his head; youthful exuberance. There was nothing like it. He was just about at the head of the stairs when Gus came flying out of his room and into Brian's arms.

"Thank you, Dad. I really, really love it. And I'll see you online." Brian returned Gus' hug, kissed his son's head then shoved the boy back toward his room. "Bye, Pop."

"Bye, Sonny Boy." Brian joined the ladies in the kitchen.

"Finally escaped, huh?" Lindsay remarked as Brian gratefully accepted a mug of coffee.

"Oh yeah. Thank the gods it's Saturday; he won't sleep tonight."

"Oh yeah, thanks a heap," Melanie groused as she offered Brian a cookie. Brian looked suspiciously at the cookie. "No, arsenic, I swear. JR and Lindsay made them." Brian safely took a bite.

"Um, I'd like to ask you both something, to see how you'd feel about it." Brian had Lindsay and Melanie's full attention. "I'd like to know if Gus could stay at the cottage one weekend a month. I'd pick him up after school on Friday then bring him to school on Monday. And maybe when he has a day off from school he could spend some time with me at Kinnetik. I'd really like him to see what I do. Who knows, he may choose to go into advertising or graphic design one day." Brian held his breath.

Mel was the first to answer. "No taking him out to do tricks," Melanie said with almost a straight face.

"Melanie!" Lindsay and Brian cried out at the same time. Melanie cracked up and got a smack on the arm from Lindsay.

"From what I see, Gus won't need any help from me. He'll have all the tricks he could ever want. I can see it now. The son of the stud of Liberty on the prowl," Brian said with his customary snark.

"Brian!" Lindsay and Melanie shouted.

"What?" Brian took another bite of his cookie.

*****

"How'd it go?" Justin greeted his spouse as Brian came in the door.

"Great, it really went very well. Gus and I climbed to the top, without breaking our necks or any other body parts. I seemed to have impressed his friends. He loves his computer and the Munchers didn't kill me. I'd say it was a perfect day."

"Then I think you deserve a reward," Justin informed his husband with a waggle of his eyebrows.

"And what about Miss Squirt?"

"Safely tucked away in her crib. She was a perfect angel for her daddy," Justin said proudly.

"I wouldn't have expected anything else. I'll go take a peek at her and take a shower, then I'll be ready for my reward." Brian kissed Justin, giving him a taste of what was to come. Justin locked up the cottage then went to their bedroom to wait for Brian.

*****

"I don't know, Sidney," Justin said into the phone.

"Well, Mr. Keller is being very insistent," Sidney replied.

"I really don't care what Mr. Keller does."

"It could be an interesting addition to your resume. People are always interested in the Rage drawings when you have a show. Some of them have brought big bucks."

"You know I don't need the money."

"I know, but Mr. Keller keeps telling me how the Rage movie is unfinished business."

"I guess you could call it that."

"Think about it," Sidney said before he ended the call.

"I don't have much choice apparently," Justin muttered as he set down the phone.

"Brett still after you?" Brian chuckled. He was finishing his dry toast and drinking his second coffee of the morning. Bree sat perched on his lap watching her fathers. She had had her morning bottle and burp and all was right with the world.

"He just keeps pestering Sidney. Thank God he doesn't have my number here."

"Afraid to talk to him?"

"Brian!" Justin frowned. He fully understood how Brian liked to call people on their shit, but he had got out of the habit of having Brian do that to him.

"You know you want to do the movie, if for no other reason than to show Hollywood that they were fucking wrong."

"Yeah, I'd like that," Justin admitted.

"Then do it."

"But…"

"What are you afraid of … that you'll get sucked back into the Hollywood glamour and lifestyle?"

"Something like that," Justin replied.

"I don't think that will happen. You have too many things here to keep you grounded." Brian glanced at Bree and Justin followed his line of sight.

"I know I do, and that's why I don't want to go out there. You don't know how seductive it was, all the parties and the adulation and the gorgeous men."

Brian raised an eyebrow at the last word. "I can understand that, but you're a lot older and wiser and more grounded than you were back then."

Justin smiled at his husband. "I hope so, but I still don't like the idea of being plunged back into that scene."

"Justin, this is an opportunity to finish something important that you started."

"Are you trying to push me off the cliff just like in the bad old days?"

"Me? Would I ever do that?" Brian asked with mock horror on his face.

"It's been known to happen."

"Justin, if you want to do this, then there are options of how you can work on the movie. You simply get those written into the contract and then you can live your life here while working on the movie from home."

"I'll still have to go there sometimes."

"I realize that, and I'll look after Squirt when you have to go out there."

"But I'll miss her so much … and you too."

"That'll be the perfect scenario then. It means you'll come back to us. Right, Bree?" Brian leaned down and kissed his daughter's forehead. Bree gurgled and then scrunched up her face. "Uh oh," Brian said. "It's the good stuff. I'll go change her."

"Let me," Justin said. He knew how much Brian really detested poopy diapers, but the man had learned to cope. "I need to think."

"And you do your best thinking while changing disgusting diapers," Brian chuckled.

"Shut up," Justin giggled as he took Bree. "Come on, sweetheart, we'll go fix you up and leave daddy here to drink his coffee all by himself."

Brian watched them walk away. He wondered if he had helped Justin make the decision he was sure his husband wanted to make. He knew Justin had a bad taste in his mouth about what had happened on his first trip to Hollywood, but he also knew that Justin wanted the Rage movie to happen. It would be some kind of validation for him and Michael and for the gay lifestyle and for kids who might need a gay superhero to see them through their formative years.

Brian was still musing about Justin and Rage when his cell phone began to vibrate.

"Hey Mikey," Brian recognized the number.

"What's the matter with Justin?" Mikey returned.

"We're fine, Mikey, so nice of you to ask. And how are you and the professor?" Brian snarked.

"Brian! Cut it out. I want to know why Justin's being so stubborn."

"Stubborn about what, Mikey?" Brian loved to torture Michael.

"You know what I mean, you fucker. Rage! Why hasn't Justin signed Brett's contract? He sent mine to Mel and she said it was a great deal. I can fly in whenever I want. We have full creative control and we get paid big bucks no matter what happens. Why hasn't Justin jumped at this? I can't do it without him."

"Michael, did it ever occur to you that Justin may not want to do Rage. That he was hurt back then, that he felt used and thrown away when it all went south. He's being cautious and I for one think he's doing the right thing by taking his time. It's not like he needs the money."

"Brian, I know he doesn't need the money but I do." Brian heard the anguish in Michael's voice.

"Mikey, what's wrong? Are you okay? Is Ben all right? I can help, you know that. You never have to ask."

"Brian! Bri, we're fine. We're much better since you sent us on that vacation. I got my priorities straight. I was thinking of buying another store and I really want to pay off the mortgage on the house. Even if half of what Brett said comes through, it'll help. It's not all about me, Bri. I want to be able to provide for JR and help out Hunter. Do you understand?"

"Yeah, I do, Mikey. I understand more than you know." Brian felt himself being watched. He turned to see Justin leaning against the wall. "Mikey, I gotta go. I'll call you later, I promise."

"Okay, bye Bri. I love you, you know."

"Yeah, Mikey, love you too." Brian cut the connection and met Justin's gaze. "How much did you hear?" Brian asked his spouse.

"Enough. He and Ben okay?"

"Yeah, Mikey's ass is pointed in the right direction this time."

"That's not a visual I care to have in my head, Brian."

"Sorry about that. It seems that Brett sent a contract to Mel and Mel gave it her lesbian lawyer seal of approval. You're the hold out. It's up to you now. You've got Rage by the balls, Sunshine. It's up to you whether he flies on screen or stays on the page."

Brian gave Justin a hug and a kiss on the head then left him to think. Dirty diapers, notwithstanding. After a few moments, Justin pulled out his phone.

"Sidney? Yeah, it's me. You have that contract that Brett sent you? I know, dumb question. Fax me a copy and a copy to Bobby. Sidney! I promise to give it serious consideration; I just need to get my facts straight. Thank you. I'll call you in a couple of days. Believe me, Brett Keller will wait. Bye, Sidney and thanks."

Justin made one more call.

"Bobby? It's me, Justin."

"Hiya, Justin. How's my favorite blond brother-in-law?"

"Fine and I'm your only blond brother-in-law."

"Well, that's a relief. I don't think I can handle more than one."

"Thanks, I think. Listen, Bobby, the reason why I called is that Sidney is going to fax you a contract. I'd like you to look it over. Can we all get together and discuss it? I really need your input."

"Justin, of course I'll look it over. I'm your lawyer. What does Brian say about it?"

Bobby knew in any other situation that question could sound condescending but he also knew that Justin relied heavily on Brian's opinion when it came to contracts. Sometimes Bobby thought they really didn't need him at all.

"Brian hasn't seen it yet. Neither have I. My copy should be coming through soon."

"Yeah, mine's coming through now. Hey, what are you guys doing for dinner tonight? Patrick misses his cousin. We can come over later."

"You just want me to cook."

"Your kitchen's bigger then ours. Besides, I'm trying to convince John to build us a sun porch."

"You'll need a brass bed to go in it."

"Uh huh," Bobby laughed.

"You tops are all the same. Have only one thing on your mind."

"Uh huh!"

"Okay, okay. Bring salad, I'll cook."

"Later, Justin."

"Later, Bobby." Justin snapped his phone shut then went up to the office. Brian was looking over the latest mock-ups for an ad that Reilly was working on. Briana was happily bouncing in her swing. The contract was sitting in the fax machine.

"Hey, Sunshine. How goes the thinking? Your gerbil worn out yet?"

"Not yet. You look at it?"

"Look at what?"

"You know what I'm talking about."

"No, I haven't. It's your contract. I'm here if you need me."

"I know. I called Bobby. I invited them to dinner tonight."

"He just wants you to cook."

"Yeah. But he's bringing the salad. Brian, if I do this, I want you with me. I heard what you said about being grounded and all. And you're right, I am. I'm stronger now and not so stupid like I was the first time. But you are Rage. Every time I draw him, every time he defeats the bad guy, it's you I'm drawing. It's you defeating the bad guy. Just like with Stockwell. I made the mistake of going without you. You should have been there. You would have protected me. Rage would have protected JT."

"Justin, you don't need my protection. You can do this on your own."

"I know I can. But that's not the point. I don't want to. We do this together or not at all."

Brian studied the determined look on Justin's face. He knew it was true. Justin didn't need him for Rage. But Brian had to admit, the thought of Justin flying off to Hollywood alone scared the shit out of him.

Brian got up from his desk and crossed the room to where Justin was standing. He pulled the younger man into him, hearing the contract crushing between them. Brian kissed the top of the blond head and then whispered, "Whither thou goest, Sunshine."