- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

Justin arrived at the studio early the next morning. He hoped that Paul Thomas would call. He wanted to know what Paul thought about the script. Justin was also hoping that he could speak with Paul alone, without Brett being there. Brett seemed to resent the control that Justin had and fought him on practically every point. It was beginning to wear Justin down. If it wasn't for Brian being right there to smooth things, Justin might have given up a long time ago. And that wouldn't have been the solution. Justin took his contract seriously and he knew a lot of people were counting on him, including Michael. So he forced himself to be patient and open to Brett's suggestions. Justin was just getting out of his car when another car pulled in a few spaces away.

"Mr. Taylor, good morning. I was hoping I'd run into you."

"Mr. Thomas? Hi, and it's Justin. Mr. Taylor is my father and we won't go there. Besides, it's really Taylor-Kinney." Justin took a chance to see how Paul reacted to gay marriages.

"As in Kinney is your partner's name?"

"Yes, does that bother you?"

"No, not really, I never gave it much thought before. And it's Paul, by the way."

"What do you think about the script?" Justin asked hopefully.

"It's a lot like every other superhero script that I've read, the one big difference notwithstanding." Paul Thomas didn't seem all that impressed and Justin feared he might lose his Rage.

"You don't sound very enthusiastic about it."

"Like I said, I want to choose my next project carefully."

"I can relate to that. I wasn't sure I wanted to try this again."

"Again? What do you mean?" Paul leaned against his car as Justin told him about the first time Rage was going to be done, minus the fucking Conner James part, of course. He paced up and down in the parking lot trying to portray his visions to Paul.

"Have you ever read the comic?" Justin continued.

"No. And it's not because it's a gay comic, I was never into comics, even as a kid. Strange, huh? I mean since I played, well you know," Paul smirked and shrugged his shoulders.

"Yeah," Justin giggled. "I know. Look, I really hate being here so early and I left before my daughter woke up..."

"You have a daughter?"

"Yes, Briana. Why don't you follow me back to my place? I have the first issue of Rage and maybe it'll explain things better. And then you can meet the man behind Rage."

"There really is such a person?"

"Oh yeah, Rage is real. Big time. Come on, we'll have breakfast. I promise your virtue is safe with us. Briana makes a good chaperone and her nanny is there too."

"Nanny?"

"Not really, long story. It'll make sense later." Justin smiled his special smile that no one, gay or straight could refuse. Paul laughed; he recognized innocent flirtation when he saw it. He nodded, got back in his car and then followed Justin back to the condo.

When they arrived, Rage, er, Brian was in full ad exec mode. Angry, ad exec mode. He was wearing a black wife beater, his favorite jeans with the top button open, his feet were bare and he was pacing with his wireless ear phone in place. Now and then he stepped in front of his laptop, clicked a few keys then started cursing again. Claire came out of Bree's room with the baby and Justin quietly made their introductions. Still standing by the front door, Justin was trying to figure out what was happening.

"What's going on?" Justin asked Claire in almost a whisper.

"I'm not sure. We were all having breakfast, he was feeding the baby and checking his emails then all of a sudden he turned bright red and looked like his head was going to explode. I recognized the signs. John gets that same look. So I took the baby. She needed to be changed anyway. He made a series of phone calls and he's been cursing and pacing ever since."

"Fuck! This is not the time for a queen out. I was hoping Brian would meet Paul to discuss Rage."

"Well, if Paul wanted to meet the real Rage," Claire gestured at Brian. "There he is! Bree and I will be in her room. We'll wait until Mount Kinney finishes his eruption. Justin, maybe you can do something, work your magic. It was nice to meet you Paul. Welcome to my world." Claire smiled then took the wide-eyed Bree back to her room.

Justin made a little wave at his daughter then ushered Paul into the kitchen. While Brian was still pacing and cursing, Justin poured Paul some coffee and handed him the first issue of Rage.

"Stay here. You'll be safe. He really is a very nice guy when you get to know him," Justin said with an embarrassed shrug then cautiously proceeded into the living room.

"I'm sure he is," Paul murmured, taking a sip of the excellent coffee as he started reading Rage.

"Brian?" Justin slowly approached Brian's desk. Brian acknowledged Justin's presence and visibly started to relax.

"Bobby, you tell that no good conniving, fucking little weasel that I will sue his sorry ass if he ever tries to pull shit like that again. I could buy his sorry excuse for an ad agency if I wanted to, but Cynthia would probably have my balls, ball. You know what the fuck I mean. Tell Drew thanks for the heads up. Yeah, I'll call him too. Thanks Bobby. Justin's here. Yeah, yeah, he's batting the baby blues at me already. Love you too. Kiss that brother of mine and Patrick for me. We'll be home for Christmas. Later, Bobby." Brian cut the connection, removed the ear piece and sat back down.

"Sorry you had to see that, Sunshine. And I have to apologize to Claire and the Squirt. I think I scared the hell out of them."

"It's not the first time we've seen your temper. Want to tell me what happened?"

"Vance happened. Perspective had that new client all lined up and Vance snuck in through the backdoor. Fortunately the guy was a friend of a friend of Drew. He called Reilly with the heads up. Reilly pounced, Vance lost. I'm really getting tired of running into him. He's getting on my nerves."

"Would you buy him out?"

"No. Cynthia doesn't think it would be a good idea. Besides, she says that there's no one left working there that's any good. No, it's best to let sleeping dogs lie. Except when they get in my way. Why are you home? Not that I'm not glad to see you." Brian swept Justin into his arms and onto his lap.

"We have a guest," Justin said looking at Brian through his lashes.

"A guest?"

"Yes, Paul Thomas."

"Isn't he the guy you want to play Rage?"

"Yeah."

"Shit. Did I just blow the deal for you?"

"Not sure."

"Fuck, I'm sorry Justin."

"Come on; let's see if your special coffee blend saved our asses." Justin got up off of Brian's lap and led his contrite spouse to the kitchen.

"Paul, I'd like you to meet Brian Kinney. The real Rage."

Paul stood up and extended his hand. Justin made a small gasp. They were about the same height, same build and coloring. The eye color was off but there was the same intensity. Justin began to bounce and his hand was subconsciously looking for a sketch pad.

Brian chuckled, his angry mood vanished. Paul cocked his head.

"He's got that 'where's my sketch pad' look in his eye. And that's Brian Kinney-Taylor. So Paul, you got the balls to be me?" Paul nearly spilled his coffee.

Claire came out of Bree's room. "Is the shouting all over?" She asked looking at Brian.

"For now. Sorry about that. I just don't like..."

"No need to explain to me. John was the same way when he was bidding on contracts and someone attempted to underbid him. Especially if he found out they were using substandard material." Claire turned to Paul to explain. "John is my son; he's an architect and Brian's half brother. But if you saw them together you'd think they were twins."

"Yes, but my dear brother is older than me," Brian said proudly.

"Hmm, as you constantly enjoy teasing him about," Claire admonished and Brian sucked in his lips. "Justin's very excited as well as Michael. They really want you to play Rage," Claire exclaimed.

"Justin has told me but I'm not sure why. I'm not gay, never played gay. Isn't it the point to have a gay actor play a gay superhero?"

"No, it's not," Justin chimed in as he poured more coffee for everyone. "Rage, uses his powers for good. To defend anyone who is being hurt, oppressed, discriminated against. And he happens to be gay. There are lots of TV shows where gays are playing straights and straights are playing gay. It happens all the time. You'll just do it in your Rage costume." Justin giggled. His laugh being infectious, they all laughed.

Then Paul got serious and looked down at the comic. The resemblance between Brian and Rage was obvious.

"JT. It's you, isn't it?" Justin nodded. "The bashing, was that real too?" Justin nodded again and Brian drew closer and placed his arm around Justin. Paul looked at them both. Strength, conviction, a certain honesty about them, and love. You could see, feel the love.

"I'd be honored to play Rage."

Justin's smile was at full wattage as he shook Paul's hand. Brian's handshake was cut short by a tiny whimper coming from Bree's room. He excused himself to go to Bree.

"Was that your daughter? I didn't hear her," Paul stated with astonishment.

"I know. Brian uses his Ragian hearing when it comes to our daughter." They all laughed again as Brian approached with his daughter in his arms.

"Miss Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor, I'd like you to meet Rage!"

*****

The rest of the month flew by quickly. With Paul Thomas as Rage, signed, sealed and delivered, it was easy to find Zephyr and JT. Claire went home and Debbie flew out. Gus made his visit and was able to go to the studio with Justin for a quick look around. Since it was the holiday, no one was working. The Christmas holiday was fast approaching and Justin was looking forward to spending it in his own home. He missed the cottage. And his studio. He completed all the story boards and even Brett had to agree that Paul Thomas made the perfect Rage.

This time they agreed to keep the story simple but combine the first two issues of Rage so there would be enough material for a full length movie. Interspersed with live acting was animation. True animation, not CGI stuff. This was a comic and Justin wanted to retain that comic book feel. Brett had to admit, it was an original concept. More than a cartoon, with a message that anyone, gay or straight could relate to. Action and a hinted undercurrent of a love story. Neither Justin or Brett wanted the movie to have an NC-17 rating. The sexual undertones were there but it wasn't as in your face as the comic. Justin felt he could go home with confidence that the true meaning of Rage would not be sullied or altered.

*****

"Claire, it's Hunter."

"Hi, Hunter. Are you calling to tell us when you'll be home for Christmas?"

"Um…"

"What does that mean?"

"Um… Nick and I would kind of like some time alone."

"You've been living together at Penn for months. Didn't that provide some alone time?"

Hunter could hear that Claire was pissed with him. He better explain and quick. "It did, but we've had so much work. Sometimes when Nick is doing a long shift, I don't see him for days. He sleeps at the hospital. We just want some time to ourselves."

"And that's hard with the whole 'family' getting together."

"Yeah."

"What did you have in mind?"

"We thought we might drive up to Vermont and go skiing."

"I didn't know you skied."

"I don't," Hunter laughed.

"But there are lots of lodges with warm fires and private rooms?" Claire chuckled.

"Exactly."

"If that's what you want to do, then go for it."

"You mean it?"

"Hunter, this is your life we're talking about. You can live it however you choose."

"But you think I should put in an appearance with the family?" Hunter asked although he already knew the answer. Claire was probably right. He was being selfish, but he really wanted some quality time with Nick. The older generation just didn't understand how much pressure there was at a university, especially if you wanted to do well.

"Do you know the meaning of the word compromise?" Claire asked with a chuckle.

"Are you saying I should do both … Vermont and family?"

"You just earned a gold star."

"Thanks, I think," Hunter laughed. "Should I come for Christmas or New Year's?"

"You decide," Claire said patiently. She knew what would be best, but Hunter would have to make that decision for himself. She was pretty sure that he would choose wisely.

"I guess it's most important to be there for Christmas. I know Nick's parents are expecting him. We haven't told them about this yet."

"I see," Claire said waiting for Hunter to finish his train of thought.

"I think we should come to the farm for Christmas. Nick will be able to see his parents, and everyone will be happy."

"That's a wonderful choice, Hunter. I knew you'd figure it out. A couple of days after Christmas you boys can head for Vermont and spend New Year's there. I'm sure you'll have a great time together."

"I think that could work."

"That way you have the best of both worlds."

"Thanks, Claire, I knew you could help."

"No problem," Claire smiled.

"You're the best."

Hunter cut the connection and turned to Nick who had been listening to Hunter's side of the conversation. Nick didn't look too happy.

"So we're going to Bridgeton and not Vermont."

"Half of that statement is correct."

"Which half? Didn't you tell Claire we'd be there for Christmas?"

"Yes."

"So?"

"Do you know the meaning of the word compromise?" Hunter smirked in his best Brian Kinney facsimile.

"Of course I do," Nick bristled. "What the hell are you talking about? I have to get back to the hospital in an hour. Can we cut to the chase?"

"Okay, okay," Hunter said holding up his hand. He knew how tired Nick was these days. "I think we should go to the farm for Christmas, and right after we leave for a week in Vermont where we can be alone and fuck to our heart's content. That way everybody's happy."

"My parents really wanted me home for Christmas," Nick said thoughtfully. Maybe this was the best plan. "But I was looking forward to fucking you for two weeks straight."

"Well, this way you can do Christmas with the folks and still fuck my ass off all day every day for a full week."

"Is that a promise?" Nick asked with a grin. "And all night too?"

"Scout's honor," Hunter promised holding up some fingers.

Nick laughed. "Some scout you are! You don't even know what fingers to use."

"I can think of a better use for fingers," Hunter smiled seductively.

"You can, can you?"

"Absolutely, and didn't you say something about having an hour before you had to be back?"

"Actually it's about fifty minutes now."

Hunter grinned. "Plenty of time."

And it was.

*****

Brian and Justin unlocked the door to the cottage. Bree was safe in Brian's arms having slept soundly in her car seat all the way home. Justin had done all the driving from the loft where they picked up the Jeep. They had debated staying in Pittsburgh since it was already early evening when they arrived. But noting that Bree slept peacefully they decided to just keep going. They both wanted to be home in the cottage where their lives could return to normal.

Brian took the sleeping baby to the nursery while Justin hauled in their luggage. He left everything by the front door knowing they would get to it eventually. He walked into the living room and proceeded to start a fire. Just as he was getting it started Brian came back from putting Bree down.

"Great idea. I love a fire in December," Brian said as he watched the kindling catch and the fire start to get going full blast.

"Me too. It's one of the reasons I wanted to come home."

"Who would ever think that I'd be glad to leave sunny California for the winters of Pittsburgh?"

"But you are glad, aren't you?" Justin asked.

"Hollywood is an acquired taste, and not one that I really care to acquire anymore. I love it here with you and Squirt."

"We're really lucky to have so many options."

"Lucky," Brian said thoughtfully.

"Are you hungry?"

"I could eat."

"But we have next to no food. We should have stopped to pick some things up."

"I didn't want to stop. I just wanted to get here."

Justin smiled. He had wanted exactly the same thing. "We have enough formula for Bree, and I think I have a frozen pizza in the freezer. Could you stomach that?"

"You know, I could," Brian grinned.

Some time later after they had eaten some pizza and were curled up in front of the fire, Brian pulled his husband close.

"I'm glad I can do most of the work on Rage from here," Justin said.

"I think this picture is going to be great," Brian declared.

"You do?" Justin smiled up at him.

"You found the perfect Rage."

"Why, because he looks so much like you?"

"Actually he doesn't really look like me, but he has that Rage quality. You made a good choice."

Justin basked in the glow of Brian's praise. "What do you say to a little lovemaking in front of our own fire in our own home?"

"I say that's a marvelous idea, Sunshine." He leaned down to kiss Justin's sweet lips. Just then a resounding wail stopped them dead in their tracks. "You grab the formula and I'll get Squirt, and don't forget where we were."

Justin smiled as Brian hurried off before the wailing got too loud. He knew he wouldn't forget where they were. He could hardly wait. It was good to be home.