- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Brian has left to take the train to Chicago and Justin stays behind to work on a commission piece for his client, Becky.  At the last minute, the good woman gives Justin just the news he needs to brighten his day.  But will he make it in time?    

Justin stared at the empty door frame of the loft, watching the elevator descending to the ground floor carrying his lover away from him. With a deep sigh, he turned inward closing the heavy double doors quietly behind him. He stood for several minutes drinking in the sight of the wide open spaces of their first real home that both men had picked out and financed together as a couple. Each separate space was tastefully decorated with high quality furniture, much of it from the loft in Pittsburgh after it was sold to help finance Brian's new business opening in the City. But somehow the comfort and beauty of the rooms that normally pleased his artistic sensibilities so wonderfully just didn't do anything for him this time. It was kind of silly really. After all, it wasn't like Brian was going to be gone forever or even for a long time, but Justin began missing him immediately.

Ever since the two men had reunited in New York right after that first Christmas apart, they had literally been inseparable. All of Justin's amazing success in such a short time in the City and Brian's equally impressive success with both his ad agency and the dance club didn't begin to compare with the genuine happiness they felt from being able to successfully work out joint living arrangements. There had been a few brief 24 hour separations due to business since then, but this time was different. Christmas held a special meaning for both men. It was at Christmas 2005, when they were unable to see each other at all, that they both knew for sure they couldn't go on being so far apart.

Justin had been scheduled to fly out of NYC to be with the family...and Brian, of course...on Christmas Eve that year when a freak snowstorm shut down all transportation. By the time it let up and Justin was finally able to fly the holidays were all but over. Justin ended up getting to spend only one night with Brian the day after New Years. The ironic thing was that it was the business savvy hard-on-his-luck (once upon a time) Teddy that had the brilliant idea of Brian keeping both of his businesses in Pittsburgh; going with Ted & Cynthia as general managers of Kinnetic 1 and Debbie & Emmett as co-managers of the club. He had been telling Brian for some time that he had enough business contacts to open a branch office in the high-powered world of New York City. Brian finally had an incentive to make the move, which he did with great enthusiasm.

Within weeks Brian and Justin had found the perfect loft for them both. It was within a few miles of Brian's upscale office space housed comfortably on an upper floor of an old but distinguished building overlooking Central Park. The loft was on a top floor with a winding staircase leading to the roof which had a roomy shed with a built in skylight. The roof had only one access that the men paid through the nose to keep exclusive for their use. It was a perfect space for Justin to set up his art studio. Justin headed up the stairs now knowing that being with his paints and brushes was the one way to shake the feeling of loneliness that had overcome him.

The first thing he spotted when he walked in was the sketch of Antonio Grimaldi that was set up beside an empty canvas. One of his favorite customers, Rebecca Grimaldi, had commissioned Justin to make a large painting of her husband for a Christmas gift. Not only did she pay extremely well, but he was very fond of the couple. They had just celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary and Becky (she didn't like formalities and insisted Justin call her that) had purchased a landscape done by the talented young man in his first year in the city. She had bought 3 more pieces since then, each at hefty prices. The family came from old money made in Californian and Italian vineyards for generations.

As Justin reflected on his good fortune in meeting the Grimaldi's, he opened his paints, set each color out and took up his brush. A couple of hours later Justin's stomach growled and he remembered how thirsty he was too. Time always got away from him when he began painting. It was like he was in another world. There were even times that he was unaware of Brian coming up behind him when he became so absorbed in his work, something Brian got a kick out of and took full advantage of with sneak attacks on Justin's neck and groin from behind.

Justin took a last look at the easel. It was going to take nearly a week to finish the portrait. He knew he could finish the piece in much faster time but the fucking asshole Hobbs had robbed him of his ability to paint for long hours at a time. Two hours was usually stretching it and then he had to give his hand a long break. He had to face it; there was no way he could finish the portrait and meet Brian in Chicago. He might as well forget it and resign himself to a few lonely nights.

Justin cleaned up the studio and closed the door behind him. He moved back down the stairs and headed for the kitchen to get a drink and see what would be on the menu for his solitary dinner tonight. He looked up at the sunburst clock on the wall and realized that Brian had probably already boarded his train...that is if it wasn't running late. He felt a moment of sympathy for poor Brian. He knew that he didn't relish the idea of a slow moving train trip. He was built for speed. But who knows, Justin thought, maybe he'll find something to divert his attention. After all, he usually managed to find 'something' to keep himself occupied. The man was a genius at that.

Justin began opening the fridge door when the shrill sound of the phone's answering machine distracted him. "Hey Sunshine. Miss me?" Came the purring tones of his lover over the wires.

"Yep, the boys were wondering if you'd come home and make it a foursome!" Justin teased back at him as he picked up the receiver.

"Can't make it kiddo. But send 'em my way when you're done with them." Brian laughed.

"Will do, if I don't exhaust them that is. So where are you calling from?"

"The fucking station, of course. The train can't pull out till the connecting trains arrive. They said another hour or so. Have I mentioned I don't want to take the fucking train?!" Brian grumbled.

"Oh, a few times," Justin answered sympathetically. "Just make sure you get back to me safely and as quick as you can. Take a super sonic jet back if you have to!"

"Will do. I'd better get back to the old man. At least he got me a first class room all to myself. Not that I wouldn't mind sharing it with the right person!" Brian sighed heavily. "Well, keep the home fires burning, my artistic genius. See you later."

"Later." Justin hung up regretfully and turned back to the fridge. He had lost some of his appetite but what the hell. He had to keep up his strength for when Brian returned. Before he even reached the door handle, the phone rang again.

"Justin? Hon, I hate to do this to you but I need to see you. Can we come by for a few minutes?" It was Becky Grimaldi.

Justin grabbed up the phone and answered. "I'm here Becky. What's up? You sound worried."

"Antonio and I are within a few blocks of your place, my dear. I'll be right up. Don't worry. I just need to give you a heads up."

"Okay, I'll buzz you in as soon as you get here." With that, Justin hung up and started worrying. He had never heard anything buy joy and laughter in Becky's voice before. She had to be the most positive person he had ever met. Even Debbie wasn't as optimistic as Becky. He prayed that nothing was really wrong. He was truly fond of the couple. Five minutes later he heard the front door ringer and buzzed her in.

Becky was an aristocratic looking woman, tall and slender, with clear blue eyes that belied her advanced years. They were full of youth and fun. She looked remarkably like Justin with her peaches and cream skin, still unwrinkled by time, and white blonde hair piled elegantly on her head. She was the perfect counterpoint to her husband's dark Mediterranean good looks and dancing dark brown eyes. She was also a woman who didn't waste time. She came straight to the point.

"Justin, my dear, I can't tell you how sorry I am, but there is no way we can stay in New York for the holidays. We just got word from Tony's sister that his father had a heart attack and is fading fast. The man is almost 95 so it's to be expected, but Tony insists we head back to Italy right now to be with him, and of course I concur. I have no idea how long it will take, but it will be at least a month or more. Whether he survives or not there are still the family estates to keep up and Tony wants to be there to help. I'm sure you understand, dear. You can go ahead and finish the portrait and I'll just get it when we get back."

Justin's heart began skipping beats. "I can always finish it and mail it to you in Italy, if you'd like?" he asked hesitantly.

"Oh no, dear. Then we'd just have to lug it back. Better to wait until we return. I'm going to go ahead and give you the second half of your payment for the inconvenience and keeping it stored here. Would that be satisfactory?" Becky inquired.

"It's not necessary," Justin answered. His mind was already on something else.

Becky pulled out her checkbook from her sizable purse and handed over a check already made out. "I insist, Justin." The two exchanged a few more pleasantries, Justin wished her a safe journey, and she headed out the door in a hurry to get back to her waiting Husband. Justin stood in the doorway for the second time today lost in thought. The only thought running through his mind this time was, "Can I make it in time? Oh please, let me make it in time!"

To be continued.......