- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

I only managed a little fluff and fun in this chapter. I really do think that this story has an actual plot - I'm sure I'll get to it eventually. For now, enjoy! TAG

 

 

 

Chapter 28 - New Year, New Life?

 

Brian and Justin tumbled out of the shower together a while later, but not until after the water had already become ice cold. They didn’t have any solid plans for the day and didn’t really have any desire to venture further from their bed than necessary. Justin was all for moving directly from the shower back to the bed right away. Brian, though, thought a short interlude filled with coffee and maybe something to eat might be nice - and then they would hop back into bed. As soon as Justin heard ‘something to eat’ he was all for the change of plans.

 

Brian left Justin brushing his teeth and strutted out to the kitchen to start the coffee. Luckily, whoever had stocked his loft with groceries had indeed remembered to get fresh ground coffee. However, Brian couldn’t seem to find the carafe for the coffee maker anywhere. After rummaging through the cabinets for several minutes to no avail, he decided, on a whim, to check in the dishwasher - it really was the only other place he could think of where the damn thing might be hiding.

 

There, in the top rack, Brian did actually find the missing carafe. To his chagrin, he also found one of Justin’s ugly, dirty old sneakers that had apparently made the trip with them all the way from New York to Pittsburgh. Brian wasn’t sure if he should yell - the thought of those mucky shoes anywhere near the container that usually held his sacred morning beverage almost made him gag - or laugh at the boy’s ongoing ingenuity. If he hadn’t been up most of the night celebrating with Justin or had already had his morning coffee, Brian might have been able to decide which to do. But this morning he didn’t have the energy. He simply extracted the icky shoe, tossed it on the floor and proceeded to rewash the carafe by hand.  

 

 

Fifteen minutes later, with two mugs of coffee in one hand and the dreaded traveling sneaker in the other, he found his troublesome blond back in the big bed, grinning up at him mischievously. He chucked the shoe at Justin’s head without comment. Justin deflected the projectile shoe and smiled even more. Brian found he couldn’t delve up even an ounce of anger in the face of that glorious smile no matter what the kid had done. With a shrug and a chuckle, he gave up, handed Justin one of the coffees and climbed back into the invitingly warm bed.

 

“You do realize that I’m going to make you rewash all the dishes in the washer - by hand - now that you’ve contaminated them all with those shoes of yours,” Brian warned after a few sips of coffee had revived them both.

 

“I don’t have any idea what you’re talking about, Mr. Kinney. What shoes?” Justin replied, playing the dumb blond.

 

“You know what shoes, you twat. Now, are you going to tell me where the other one is so I can head off any other possible germ transmissions before we both end up with Beriberi or something,” Brian insisted, obviously still very angry at his silly blond, as was evidenced by the kisses he interspersed all over Justin’s face and neck and shoulders as he interrogated the young man.

 

“Nope. I’m not telling. You’ll find it eventually. And, by the way, Beriberi isn’t caused by germs. It’s caused by a nutritional deficiency when you don’t get enough B vitamins, so my shoes have nothing to do with it.”

 

“Another Public Service Announcement? Isn’t it too early in the morning for that, Sunshine?” Brian teased, taking the cup of hot coffee out of Justin’s hands and setting it aside before pursuing his inquiry into the whereabouts of the remaining shoe.

 

The kissing became much more insistent at that point and was backed up with tickling, pinching and just a bit of groping, all in the name of finding the missing shoe, of course. Justin was wriggling and laughing and trying to squirm out of Brian’s reach - but not trying too hard. The whole proceeding devolved rapidly into a giggling, playful make out session and the shoes were almost completely forgotten before too long. They might have disappeared under the covers for another round of New Year’s Celebrations at that point if it hadn’t been for a certain furry grey beast, who was feeling rather left out of the fun, jumping up onto the bed at that point.

 

Winston the cat had settled into his temporary home here at the loft very quickly. He’d had a great time exploring all afternoon the day before. This place was great, as far as Winston was concerned. He especially loved the drawer full of toys he’d found last night. He hadn’t really thought of the New Person as much of a cat lover, really, but now that he knew the person had all sorts of fun cat toys, he figured he might change his opinion. So, when Winston heard his people laughing and playing together in the big bed, he decided to join them, and he dragged along one of the new toys he thought they could all play with.

 

 

Winston strutted across the piles of blankets and sat his furry little ass on Brian’s pillow. Then, with a loud “Moww” he announced his arrival, the plastic ring on the string of ben wa beads falling out of his mouth in the process.

 

Brian looked at the cat. He looked at the anal beads that the cat had brought him. He looked down at Justin and then back at the cat again. “Your fuzzball is a little kinky, Sunshine,” Brian laughed nervously. “I’m not sure even I’m up for whatever it is he’s got planned with those. I really don’t do beastiality, Sunshine.”

 

“Gross, Brian,” Justin cringed at the mere suggestion and struggled out from under his companion, the mood pretty much ruined by the fuzzy intruder. “This is NOT a cat toy, Winston,” Justin said as he picked up the beads with one hand and shooed the cat away with the other. Winston batted with his claws at the hand trying to take away his toy, but got the message pretty easily that his Person wasn’t feeling playful, and the unhappy cat eventually stalked off in a snit.

 

 

“So, where the hell did he find this,” Justin asked Brian, handing back the toy to its still-chuckling owner. “I suggest that if you don’t want to share your toys, Brian, you better keep them shut away better.”

 

“How was I to know your furball was into kink?” Brian took back the toy and laughed some more as Justin indignantly grabbed his coffee cup and flounced off to the kitchen for more sustenance. “If you’re not coming back to bed so we can put this to its proper use, Sunshine, how about we head out and get some breakfast?” Brian yelled after the retreating blond while putting the beads back in their drawer and shutting the whole thing up tight so that Winston wouldn’t be able to do any more research into Brian’s sex toys.

 

Justin was about to shout back his agreement with the idea of pursuing breakfast, when he was interrupted by someone hammering insistently on the big metal loft door. Luckily for the naked man, the remnants of the clothing he and Brian had been wearing when they got back from Babylon last night were strewn across the floor and he grabbed up the first pair of boxers that he saw. As he was pulling them on, he realized a little too late that they were Brian’s not his. The clamor at the door was getting more demanding, though, so Justin didn’t stop to quibble about who’s pants he was wearing before trotting over to end the racket.

 

Flicking the lock open, Justin pulled the door back just enough to see the inauspicious countenance of Mr. Michael Novotny. He contemplated slamming the door shut again immediately, but before he could do anything, Michael had wedged his hand around the edge of the door and was pulling it open. Justin wasn’t really in the mood to confront Brian’s erstwhile friend again, especially this early in the morning, so he just stepped back, hands held up in surrender, and let the little man storm through the doorway and into the loft.

 

“Brian, it’s for you, I think,” Justin hollered as he closed the door and went back to getting himself more coffee.

 

“Well, I’m definitely not here to see you, Boy Wonder,” Michael spat dismissively as he stomped past Justin without even looking at the younger man. “Brian, we need to talk,” Michael stated, heading towards the bedroom despite not being invited in let alone being invited to invade the sanctity of Brian’s favorite room.

 

Brian cut Michael off, sauntering nakedly out of the bathroom and pushing Michael backwards down the stairs into the main room. “Michael, what an EXPECTED and rather unpleasant surprise. Didn’t you get enough time to rant at me yesterday?” Brian shouldered past his old friend dismissively and took the fresh mug of coffee Justin was already holding out to him. “That’s a nice look on you, Sunshine,” Brian commented as he noted that Justin was dressed in HIS boxer shorts. “I always knew you wanted into my pants, though.”

 

Justin’s only reply was to swat Brian’s delectably bare hind end as he walked past on his way back up to the bedroom to get dressed. Brian watched the swaying blond ass as it ambled away, smiling at the sight, before sitting on a stool at the kitchen island with his coffee and turning his attention back to Michael. Brian wasn’t at all surprised to note that Michael’s attention had been momentarily distracted by Justin’s retreating ass as well.

 

“So, did you come over here this morning just to ogle my boyfriend’s ass or was there another purpose behind your barging in,” Brian asked snarkily, dragging Michael’s wandering attention back to himself.

 

“What the fuck? Are you serious about that ‘boyfriend’ thing, Brian? I figured you would have given up on that joke by now. I’m surprised the trick is still here, even, but whatever . . .”  

 

“Michael, if you just came over to harp on about that shit, then I think this visit is already over,” Brian stated emphatically. “My personal life - who I fuck, who I date and all that entails - isn’t any of your fucking business. If you actually want to talk about something you do have a say about, then fine. Talk. But, otherwise, you can see yourself out and don’t forget to lock up when you leave.”

 

Brian started to get up. He was already sick of dealing with a whiney Michael and it was only January 1st. At this rate, it was going to be a very long and whiney new year. He’d rather start it off with another great fuck with Justin than another argument with Michael.

 

“Brian. Brian, please, come back. I really need to talk to you. It’s about the girls,” Michael pleaded, using his best hurt puppydog eyes in order to get the maximum sympathy from his friend.

 

“Fine, Michael. I’ll listen, but no more ragging on Justin. Sit,” Brian pointed to the couch and reluctantly followed his old friend, still not bothering to worry about finding any clothing.

 

As the two men sat, one on each end of the white leather couch, Justin came back out of the bedroom and made himself comfortable by nestling his now clothed but still perfect ass on Brian’s lap. The happy brunet wrapped his arms around the blond’s slender waist before turning his attention back to the antsy, annoyed little man waiting to talk to him. Michael looked disgustedly at the blond interloper but didn’t dare say anything more. Taking a deep breath and trying to avoid looking at Justin while talking past him to a semi-distracted Brian, Michael opened his mouth and . . .

 

“Owwww!” Michael howled as a pointy clawed, hissing and growling Winston landed in his lap.

 

Michael leapt to his feet, dislodging the irate cat but not without suffering a few small tears to his slacks. The panicky little man backed away from the still snarling beast, while the grey furry creature stalked after him, all the hair on the cat’s back standing on end, his tail fluffed up to three times it usual size and all his teeth showing. When Michael could retreat no further, he huddled pathetically into the corner, and looked pleadingly over to where Brian and Justin were laughing their asses off at the hilarious scene.

 

“I see you’ve met our cat, Winston, Mikey,” Brian intoned with a chuckle. “He really doesn’t seem to like you much, does he?”

 

“Get that THING away from me, Brian. Fuck! I’m bleeding - it clawed me. Brian. Brian! BRIAN!” Michael was now screaming, which only frightened the cat and made him more aggressive, while the other men rolled on the couch, barely able to breathe through the spiraling waves of laughter that hit harder with every one of Michael’s anguished yowls. “Brian, help me! Please! Get it away from me!”

 

“IT is a tiny little cat that probably only weighs about a pound, Michael. Do you really need me to save you from the scary pussy?” Brian couldn’t help teasing Mikey just a bit more while his friend cowered in the corner.

 

“Winston,” Justin said, finally taking pity on the poor frightened man and picking up the cat with one hand. “You shouldn’t scare the guests like that, or they’ll leave and won’t come back to visit again.”

 

“We should be so lucky,” Brian whispered, petting the cat briefly as Justin carried his furry little protector away.

 

“You think this is funny, do you?” Michael raged once he’d been saved from the angry pussy cat, completely indignant and offended by Brian’s continued laughter at him. “Fuck you, Brian. You know what, just forget it. I don’t really care what you think anymore. You can just go back to your cushy life in New York with your stupid little twinkie boyfriend and your fucking cat and everything else. I’m outta here!”

 

Michael stomped off again, this time heading out the door instead of in. Brian followed behind, locking the door as soon as his old friend left. Justin, still holding a naughty Winston, came quietly up behind him and rested his head against Brian’s shoulder.

 

“Sorry about that. Winston is pretty protective of me sometimes. He obviously sensed that Michael didn’t like me and . . . well, got all protective,” Justin started to explain.

 

“Don’t apologize, Sunshine,” Brian interrupted. “I really didn’t want to talk to Mikey today, anyway. Besides, that’s probably the shortest and most painless conversation I’ve had with the man in the last ten years. You did good, Furball,” Brian tweaked the cat’s ear affectionately before moving off towards the bedroom to finally get himself dressed for the day.

 

<><><><><><><>

 

Brian and Justin didn’t make it out of the loft until almost two in the afternoon. They might not have even ventured out that early, except that they got a call from the girls. Gus was demanding to see his Daddy and his Jus’n. Unfortunately, by the time they made it to the house to pick up Gus, it was starting to snow and their plans for going to the park were sunk. Being the good father that he was though, Brian was determined not to let that stop him.

 

After extensive discussion, with much pleading on Gus’ behalf, Brian was eventually talked into taking them all to see the latest animated children’s movie, Planet Purple People Eaters. And, as if it weren’t bad enough that Brian was being forced to view an animated children’s movie with such an insipid name, Lindsay informed him that the only place the movie was playing was at the local mall. As much as Brian enjoyed being his new, improved self, he wasn’t sure he was ready to face the idea of Brian Kinney taking his boyfriend and his son to see a children’s movie at the mall. The entire concept was pretty horrifying. Even thinking about it made his skin crawl. If it weren’t for Gus’s cute little face, which was mutely begging right alongside Justin’s cute little face, Brian might have had a chance to back out of it all. Maybe.

 

Which is how Brian Kinney, former Stud of Liberty Avenue, the King of Babylon's backroom, the Lustiest Lothario of Liberty Avenue, the best of the Bedroom Ballbusters, Whiskey Whore, and the man who NEVER did relationships, found himself waiting in line at the concession stand at a suburban mall movie theater, holding a stuffed purple koala bear Justin had talked him into buying as a souvenir of the movie while Gus was trying to get him to buy every kind of candy that was offered. Oh, how the mighty had fallen! Brian’s only hope was that nobody would see him. Of course, that slim hope was immediately dashed when the cry of “Justin? Justin!” rang out from somewhere not too far away inside the main theater lobby.

 

Brian felt Justin immediately tense up beside him. The younger man didn’t turn around right away, even when the voice calling his name repeated its call again and again, getting closer with every second. Gus was the one who actually took the initiative to find out who was yelling at his friend.

 

“Jus’n there’s a girl calling your name,” Gus informed everyone. “She has red hair. She’s coming over here, too. Why’s that girl calling your name?”

 

Putting the best face on it that he could, Justin smiled down at Gus and then turned to meet the four-and-a-half-foot tall, red-headed, pony-tail bedecked, threat. “Hey, Molly!”

 

“Justin! It is you,” Molly launched herself into her big brother’s arms for a hug while she continued to pelt him with questions. “Mom said you weren’t coming to visit this Christmas, but here you are. Why haven’t you come to see me? Who’s that man and that little boy? Are you going to see a movie? Which one? We could sit together, maybe.”

 

Justin was preparing to burrow into this pile of questions when two additional familiar faces arrived on the scene and he was rendered speechless. Walking up to the spot where Brian, Justin and Gus were standing with Molly, was a well-dressed, middle-aged, blond couple. And, if Justin had been tense before, just at the sound of Molly’s voice, he was practically petrified now that he saw these two newcomers.

 

“Justin,” the elegant blonde woman said, smiling a bit nervously but reaching out nonetheless to hug the surprised young artist. “I didn’t know you were in town. You told me that you were going to be too busy to visit during the holidays this year, dear.”

 

“I . . . I didn’t . . .”

 

“Our trip was sort of last minute,” Brian stepped in and answered for his tongue-tied companion. “Hi, I’m Brian and this is my son, Gus.”

 

Brian held his hand out, ready to shake hands with the two newcomers, but ended up just standing there with his hand awkwardly swinging in the air when his only greeting was an anxious smile from the woman and a nasty sneer from the man. After a few moments, he let his empty hand drop down where it lit upon Gus’ shoulder. Brian unconsciously pulled his son closer to him.

 

“Molly, let’s go,” the forbidding man ordered, turning his back on everyone else and walking away.

 

“But, Dad . . . what about the movie?” Molly protested, her feet staying planted right where she’d been standing, a full-blown pout on her pixyish face and her arms crossed stubbornly. “You said you would take me to see Planet Purple. You promised! He promised, didn’t he, Mom?”

 

“I’m not going to argue with you, Molly. We’re leaving,” Craig demanded, turning back only long enough to yell his command across the width of the movie theater lobby, then turning and marching away as if he expected his family to follow.

 

Jennifer Taylor simply stood there quivilling and chewing nervously at her bottom lip - obviously a Taylor family trait, since Justin was doing the exact same thing - looking back and forth between the obstinate little girl and the angrily departing man. “Molly, I think . . . maybe we’ll have to do the movie another time . . . Don’t worry, dear, I’ll make sure I set up another time for your father to take you. Maybe next weekend when you’re scheduled to stay at his house?”

 

“I wanted to see it today, Mom. Dad promised me we’d go see it on New Year's Day. That’s why I didn’t go with my friend, Shari, and see it last week - because Dad promised he’d take me today. Now he’s backing out. Again! Why does he always do this to me? I hate him!” Molly persisted petulantly.

 

“I’m sorry, dear. I know your father promised, but . . ." Jennifer really couldn’t come up with any good explanation why her ex-husband was acting like such an ass - at least not one she could give to her nine year old.

 

“Mrs. Taylor,” Brian bravely stepped into the fray again. “Justin and I were already taking Gus to see that particular movie. If you’d like, Molly is welcome to join us. We could bring her back home afterwards.”

 

“Um . . . that’s very nice of you to offer, but . . . well, Craig wouldn’t . . . uh . . .” Jennifer didn’t know how to get out of this politely.

 

“Fuck, Craig, mother,” Justin finally found his voice. “Molly wants to see the movie and we’re already here. You want to come see the movie with us, Mollusk?”

 

“Yeah! Thanks, Jester! Please, Mom. Please!” Molly wheedled, knowing from the guilty look on her mother’s face that she’d already won.

 

“I don’t know, Molly. Your father . . ." Jennifer looked back at the doorway through which Craig Taylor had disappeared, just a hint of disgust showing on her otherwise composed features. “Oh . . . whatever! Yes, Molly, of course you can go with your brother. Sorry about that, Justin . . . I didn’t mean . . ."

 

“Would you like to join us as well, Mrs. Taylor,” Brian offered magnanimously, admitting to himself that the situation was already as bad as it could get - since he was now going to a kiddy movie with his boyfriend, his son, and his boyfriend’s little sister, would it really make any difference if he also invited along the mother-in-law?

 

And that’s how Brian Kinney - loner, lothario, egotistic, narcissistic asshole extraordinaire, ended up taking his ‘family’ to the movies on New Years Day.

 

<><><><><><><><>

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

 

FYI: This is a picture of what Beriberi does. Happy biology factoid for the day! TAG

 

 

Big thanks go out to Jane and Kathrin who helped me research sex toys that were small enough for Winston to carry around. We DO have some lively chat sessions while I'm writing. It's very educational . . . Hehehe. TAG