- Text Size +

BRIAN 

 

 

Ryder started putting boards around the walls to straighten them. Gus seemed to want to watch everything he did to fix our mistakes. I'm sitting here trying to figure my son out. 

 

 

“See, if you have something to hold things in place then you don't tear it down but instead you give it a way to stand.” Ryder tells Gus.

 

 

“What if it's so messed up you can't fix it?” Gus asks him. 

 

 

“Everything is fixable, you just need to decide if it's worth your time.” He tells Gus.

 

 

“What if it isn't?” I ask him. 

 

 

“Then you make it into something worth your time.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I told them they forgot the bones.” Jenny tells him. 

 

 

“Yep, bones are important, they give everything shape. How'd you think of that?” Ryder asks her.

 

 

“It just makes sense to me.” She tells him like he's the most interesting person in the world.

 

 

“Most people don't make that connection.” He tells her, smiling.

 

 

“Jenny’s really smart.” Gus tells us.

 

 

“Only because you help me.” She tells him. 

 

 

“You would get it even if I didn't.” Gus tells her. 

 

 

“You guys want lunch?” Emmett asks us. 

 

 

“Did Daddy make my sandwich?” Julia asks him.

 

 

“Yes, he said to tell you no pickles.” Emmett tells her.

 

 

“I would have eaten your pickles.” JJ complains.

 

 

“I don’t like it touching my bread.” She tells him, scrunching up her nose. 

 

 

“Jenny, it's time to eat.” Gus tells her. 

 

 

“Okay, but I'll be back.” Jenny tells Ryder. 

 

 

“I'll be here.” Ryder tells her.

 

 

Ryder stays behind with me as Justin comes outside.

 

 

“Drew and Emmett are going to stay with the kids.” Justin tells me. 

 

 

“What's on your mind?”Ryder asks him.

 

 

“Gus.” Justin tells me. 

 

 

“Yeah, that worries me too.” Ryder tells us. 

 

 

“You see it?” I ask him. 

 

 

“Hard not to when he gets all parental.” Ryder tells us. 

 

 

“Brian and I need to figure out how to help him. He won't leave her.” Justin tells him. 

 

 

“How bad is home?” He asks us. 

 

 

“Gus tries to downplay what's happening.” Justin tells him. 

 

 

“Then it's bad, because I did the same.” I tell him. 

 

 

“You can’t get him to agree to leave Jenny, right?” Ryder asks us. 

 

 

“He wants her to be okay and thinks if he leaves she won't be. Last night proved that to us.” Justin tells him. 

 

 

“What happened?” Ryder asks. 

 

 

“She left the house by herself while her mothers argued. According to their grandfather she made it five miles before she realized she was lost. Gus gave her a way to call him, by giving her his old phone and buying airtime with his allowance. We were at least able to stay in touch with her the whole time. When she got here she stayed glued to Gus.” I tell him. 

 

 

“So basically you have a great son, but he's taking on the role of parent and not brother.” Ryder tells us. 

 

 

“It's just now that everyone knows Brian married me, they are spending even less time on the kids and more trying to break us up.” Justin tells him. 

 

 

“This Michael guy doesn't give a shit about her either, or was she just saying that?” Ryder asks us.              

 

 

“If it scored him points with me he'd be all over it.” I tell him. 

 

 

“With you?” He asks me. 

 

 

“I think if it would get him Brian, he'd be climbing over the moms dead bodies to show how great a dad he could be. Of course, he might be losing Ben so that could slow him down.” Justin tells us.

 

 

“Wish I had some advice but this is a hard situation. Gus kind of loses no matter what you do. How are you going to get him to stop trying to be her dad?” Ryder asks us. 

 

 

“I think he finally sees that he can't do it all.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Did he tell you that, because that's a response most teenage kids aren't capable of.” Drew tells us walking up to us with plates.

 

 

“He struggling with his wants and Jenny’s needs.” Justin tells us.

 

 

“Drew, we need Aunt Jen here so we can help deal with the crap shoot for parents Jenny has, because Gus will be okay with you guys.” Ryder tells us. 

 

 

“She called while I was inside. All it took was hearing you were near kids to have her coming tomorrow. Justin, Daph called and said she's coming with Aunt Jen and Molly. That could be my fault because I overheard Gus and told Daphne what's going on. She's letting her husband bring the kids next weekend.” Drew tells us. 

 

 

“Shit, I wanted to give Mel a chance before Daphne gets involved.” Justin tells me. 

 

 

“What could change in two days that hasn't changed in thirteen years for Gus?” Drew asks him. 

 

 

“That my son is letting me be the strong one.” I tell them. 

 

 

“Then let's cuddle and think of a plan.” Justin tells me. 

 

 

“It's huddle, Justin. Man you're hopeless.” Ryder tells Justin. 

 

 

“Um, you huddle, I want Brian to cuddle.” Justin tells him sticking out his tongue.

 

 

“You meant huddle didn’t you?” I whisper in his ear.

 

 

“Yeah, but tell and...” Justin whispers back.

 

 

I know when to shut up.

 

 

TED 

 

 

Blake was excited to get to spend time with Justin and Emmett. He told me they are real friends and I'm happier when I'm with them.

 

 

“Blake, no more Michael, Mel, or Lindsay.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I'm not asking that of you.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I'm doing it for us. I won't be around people who don't respect you.” I tell him.

 

 

“I can deal with it but I hate you coming home pissed after talking to them.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I want us to be happy, so I agree with Brian and Justin, time to let go of anyone who doesn't agree.” I tell him. 

 

 

Blake runs to grab his jacket, so we can get to Brian house. I open the door to Michael crying. 

 

 

“Michael whatever it is, talk to someone else.” I tell him before he can say anything. 

 

 

“He left me, all because of Brian and his fucking boy toy.” Michael tells me.

 

 

“Ben?” Blake asks coming to the door. 

 

 

“Of course Ben, who else?” Michael snipes.

 

 

“I just wanted to make sure before I congratulated him on dumping the baggage.” Blake tells him. 

 

 

“Ted are you going to let him talk to me like that?” Michael asks me. 

 

 

“Blake can talk any way he wants to, he’s an adult.” I tell Michael. 

 

 

“Look Blake, I know we aren't friends but I need someone to talk to. Can't you put aside our differences and not put Ted in the middle. I need him.” Michael tells Blake.

 

 

“Sure, I'll head over to where we're going, just meet me when you finish.” Blake tells me. 

 

 

“Michael hold on.” I tell him slamming the door. “Blake, what the hell?” I ask him. 

 

 

“I think until you explain to him that you're not going to be his go-to guy, he'll keep showing up and driving us crazy. So give him fifteen minutes then shove his ass out the door.” Blake tells me. 

 

 

“Why can't I just do it now?” I whine.

 

 

“Don’t ever do that again, it's scary.” Blake tells me smiling.

 

 

“This is the last time.” I tell him. 

 

 

“You have to tell Mel and Lindsay too. Then we get on with our lives.” He tells me. 

 

 

“You know we could just stay in here and I'll show you how hot I think you commanding me is.” I tell him. 

 

 

“You know it's strange, I hear Brian, but see you.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Good or bad?” I ask him. 

 

 

“Hot as hell. Now deal with Mikey and come to Brian’s. I'll get Deb.” He tells me opening the door and walking by Michael. 

 

 

“It's about time, I need you to help me convince Ben he doesn't want to leave me.” Michael tells me.

 

 

“I have fifteen minutes, so why did he leave?” I ask him, resigned to listening to more whining. 

 

 

“He has a problem with my relationship with Brian.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Since you don't have a relationship with Brian how could that be the problem?” I ask him. 

 

 

“He thinks I should only love him.” He tells me puzzled by that.

 

 

“He's right, end of discussion.” I tell him shoving him towards the door.

 

 

“I don’t want to be alone.” He tells me turning towards me. 

 

 

“You wouldn’t be alone if you got your priorities in order.” I try to turn him back to the door.

 

 

“Maybe I picked the wrong guy.” He tells me then moves in on me like he was going to kiss me.

 

 

“ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME??!!” Blake yells from the door.

 

 

“Ted, you wanted me, why not give it a chance?” Michael tells me, ignoring my extremely angry husband. Just kill me, it has to be better than a pissed off Blake. 

 

 

“Because he’s smart enough to know you’re a useless piece of shit. “ Blake glares at Michael, which is better than at me.

 

 

“Can’t stand a little competition for Ted?” Michael taunts him. When did I become Brian?

 

 

“It would only be a competition if I thought you had a snowball's chance in hell with Ted.” Blake tells him grabbing him by the ear and dragging him out of the apartment. 

 

 

I follow them out and lock my door smiling. Blake is really hot when he’s taking care of me. 

 

 

“ALL PRIVILEGES FOR YOU TO TALK TO OR GROPE MY HUSBAND ARE REVOKED. YOU THINK HE WANTS YOUR WHINY ASS? NOT IF HIS DICK WAS ON FIRE AND ONLY YOUR SALIVA COULD SAVE HIM, THAT'S HOW LITTLE CHANCE YOU HAVE.” Blake tells him shoving him to his car.

 

 

“Ted…” Michael starts and then stops when Blake heads toward him. I watch Michael jump in his car and lock the door. He smirks at Blake standing outside.

 

 

Blake turns toward our car and opens the trunk, shit, not a crowbar. I see Michael’s smirk fade as Blake pulls it out. Michael starts his car and takes off before Blake reaches him. I walk to my avenging angel to find him laughing.

 

 

“Did you see his face?” Blake asks me laughing. 

 

 

“I was too busy looking at yours.” I tell him, making sure this kiss was the stuff of legends. 

 

 

MEL

 

 

I went to the park because I wasn’t ready to go home. It's not like it's much of one anyway. I refuse to believe Justin, there is no way I traumatized Jenny. She's just shy and lets things get to her. 

 

 

“Mel, what are you doing here today, are the kids with you?” Dusty asks, looking for Jenny and Gus. 

 

 

“Just thinking. The kids are at Brian’s house.” I tell her. 

 

 

“So you are finally letting Jenny make friends with Gus’s other siblings?” She asks me. 

 

 

“How do you know he has other siblings?” I ask her. 

 

 

“He talks about them when you leave him and Jenny at my house. He's been worried about how withdrawn Jenny gets.” She tells me.

 

 

“Jenny’s fine, she's just shy.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Mel, she should be making friends, not using Gus as a crutch to avoid people.” She tells me. 

 

 

“What are you talking about?” I ask her. 

 

 

“Mel, look around at the girls her age. Notice they are playing with other girls?” She asks me. 

 

 

“Yeah, but what does that have to do with Jenny?” I ask her. 

 

 

“Jenny would be glued to Gus. She lets him talk for her and Gus can’t do anything without her. He needs to be able to have fun without worrying about Jenny’s needs.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Gus encourages her to do that.” I tell her trying to make it true.

 

 

“Mel, my twelve year old son runs to play with anyone but the girls. I think Gus gives up his time to protect Jenny.” She tells me concerned. 

 

 

“Why did she have to love a Kinney?” I mumble. 

 

 

“She loves her brother, your other child.” She tells me, shaking her head and walks away to play with her kids.          

 

 

I leave before I have to really face what she's saying. Walking into my house I'm greeted with silence, no kids screaming happily because they love it here. I walk in the kitchen to see a note in Lindsay handwriting and crumple it, because it's likely she's trying to find a way into Peter’s world again. Deb was right, cannons are backfiring and I'm one of the people caught in the destruction. How do I stop everything before my children don't attend my funeral?