- Text Size +

 

JUSTIN

 

I wake up to Brian giggling, I shit you not, giggling. “Hello Princess, where’s my King.” I ask him.

“Your King got to see what one of your cousins did.” He tells me smiling.

“Please tell me he didn't tree Michael?” I ask him.

“No, but he paid a bear to help Michael with his daddy issues.” He tells me.

“Okay, it's time to set boundaries for Ryder.” I tell him.

Brian was about to answer when we hear cussing at our window. What the hell is Mel doing climbing up the side of our house? Brian grabs his sweats and goes to the window to see how she’s on the second floor at our window.

“Can you open this fucking window?” She yells.

“What the fuck are you doing at our house, and you brought a ladder?” Brian asks her.

“No one would let me in, so open the window and cover your junk, because this dike is coming in.” She tells us.

“We could push the ladder off the wall.” I suggest, laying back down in bed.

“Mel, give me a reason not to let Justin throw you into the rose bushes.” Brian tells her.

“Fuck, you have to make me say it don't you?” She tells him looking in.

“Yeah, because having you in my bedroom is never in my plans.” Brian tells her.

“Fine. You're right I'm a fucking selfish bitch who shouldn't be a mother.” She tells him.

“Is it wrong to agree?” He asks me. I shrug.

“Look, I'm here because my son and daughter need a healthy relationship. I need Peter to help me.” She whispers as Brian opens the window and hauls her in.

“If I'm Peter, who the fuck are you?” Brian asks her.

“I'm abandoning Hook’s ship.” She tells me as Ryder runs in.

“Man, you shove her out, not let her in, but I just thought of what to do.” He tells us running to the bathroom.

“Ryder no sniffing.” I yell.

“I only do that when you're not around.” He yells back.

“No Ryder, I like the flooring.” Brian tells him, when Ryder comes out with a bucket of water.

“But, like it worked in OZ.” He tells us.

“I'll tell my mom.” I tell him.

“Come on, we need to see if witches melt.” Ryder tells me.

“Out.” I point to the door.  

“You're no fun.” Ryder tells me and lays on the bed.

“So why should I trust anything you say.” Brian asks her.

“I’m here because I started all this trying to keep from having to come to you because Lindsay AND I fucked up the kids. I was spending all my time trying to give Lindsay anything that would stop her from comparing me to you because I always came out feeling inadequate. Which is my fault because I shouldn't need validation to know my worth. Instead of thinking of the kids I tried to turn this into a war. A war I lost the minute I opened my mouth and screamed my frustrations loudly enough to scare my daughter into running. You might think I wasn’t listening at Deb's but I heard what… our son is being forced to do because of me.” Mel tells me.

“Mel how do we solve this? Because Gus is weighing himself down with the burden and he doesn't see any way to fix it.” Brian tells her.

“Yeah, little dude thinks he's a father, which I read happens but since Gus didn’t get the fun he's just stuck with heavy lifting to that marvelous little girl.” Ryder asks her.

“Who are you?” Mel asks him.

“I'm Ryder, the man who had the privilege of spending time with Jenny. Do you know beneath all the shyness is a very scared little girl who wants to believe fairy tales exist. “ Ryder tells her.

“Look, all this sounds really great if it was a fairytale, but the reality is, my son and your daughter are all I care about. I find it hard to believe you somehow finally found a heart.” Brian tells her.

“I knew that, so I went to ask for help from one person you still trust.” She tells me.

“Who?” I ask her.

“Ben. He really made me open my eyes about where the blame lies, and it isn’t with you. He also told me that everything wrong between him and Michael is on them not you, because you bowed out of the whole thing a long time ago.” She tells us.

“Is Ben alright?” I ask her.

“He’s in the car, because he said that he wasn’t helping me unravel my mess but would stand with me because of Jenny and Gus.” She tells me.

“You should see Ben, he’s like premium eye candy.” I whisper to Ryder.

“But he’s with whiney man.” Ryder whispers back.

“I’m only saying this because you need to appreciate the man that is Ben. Chin Rat.” I whisper back.

“Point taken.” Ryder whispers back.

“Mel, stay for breakfast, talk to Brian and convince him you're telling the truth.” I tell her to Brian scowling at me.

“Really?” Ryder asks incredulously.

“I think it’s time she faces the damage that is already done. Don’t expect either of the kids to be thrilled you're here, but give them the chance to see you are trying.” I tell her.

“It’s more than you deserve from Justin or me.” Brian tells her.

“I don’t want to make the kids uncomfortable.” She tells us.

“I’ll be there to guard my princess. So you fuck with Brian or Justin, you deal with Justin’s family, and trust me the whole family is on their way including my Uncle who isn’t happy when Aunt Jen is pissed.” Ryder tells her.

“Uncle Matt’s coming?” Justin says excitedly.

“Shit, he still isn’t happy we didn’t have a wedding.” Brian sighs.

“He got over it, but said that his grandchildren better be smiley happy people when he gets here.” Ryder tells me.

“Is there some reason your Uncle is coming?” Mel asks us.

“Yes, because Justin is his favorite.” Ryder tells her, to Brian groaning.

“It won’t be bad, he’ll bring presents.” I tell Brian.

“Like what, divorce papers because of the shit I brought into our lives?” Brian asks him.

“No, but he bought you a car.” Ryder tells Brian.

“Why?” Brian asks him.

“Because you make the favorite happy.” Ryder grumbles.

“If you hadn’t kept pranking him, he’d like you too.” Justin tells him.

“It’s not like I gave him to a Daddy Bear.” He tells us.

“Ryder my boy, I can’t figure out why no one likes you.” Brian says smirking.

“Is that a compliment or what?” Ryder asks me.

“Could be either with him.” Mel tells him.

We hear the kids running to the room. Brian throws me shorts so the kids won’t get surprised when they run in. “Dude you’ve been naked the whole time, that’s kind of gross.” Ryder tells me but stays on the bed to catch JJ when he climbs on and launches himself at me while I’m pulling up the shorts.

“I want breakfast Daddy.” JJ tells me.

“Dad, it’s too early but JJ made me come.” Julia walks to Brian and lays her head on his shoulder when he picks her up.

“Princess, we can go lay back down if you want.” Brian tells her kissing her head.

“No, I snuggly with you.” She tells him kissing his chin.

“Daddy who’s that?” JJ asks pointing at Mel.

“Why is she here?” Gus asks us from the door.

“Gus my man, come join the man cuddle, since your Daddy can’t remember the word huddle.” Ryder tells him. Gus comes straight to the bed and hops on the end looking at Mel with a raised eyebrow. “The force is strong in this one.” Ryder tells us and grabs Gus to tickle him.

I watch Gus trying to stay mad but Ryder wants to play. I look at Mel and see her staring at Gus being carefree and hope she’s serious about this. Because Gus’s home is here and he isn’t going back to them. So she needs to make it so Jenny can feel safe with her.