- Text Size +

GUS 

 

 

I walked into the room with Aunt Daphne, expecting someone as old as Uncle Matt, but there was this woman who looked as young as Aunt Daphne. Instead of sitting in Dad's chair she was sitting on the floor. 

 

 

“I like to relax while we talk, because I think it helps not to sit in chairs like I'm examining you. My name is Dr Webber and you’re Gus. So how about it, ready to answer my questions?” She asks me, smiling. 

 

 

“Do I get to ask questions?” I ask her. 

 

 

“Anything you want, this is your time too.” She tells me. 

 

 

“What if I don't know how to tell you what I'm thinking?” I ask her. 

 

 

“Then tell me about what your thinking and we'll figure it out.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Like drawing.” I mumble.

 

 

“What?” She asks me. 

 

 

“Daddy always tells me do it like he draws, put everything down until you find what you're looking for.” I tell her. 

 

 

“He's right, sometimes you have to find a way to express your thoughts and feelings, so when you keep going, you will see or say what you meant.” She tells me, and I kind of like her for saying Daddy's right.

 

 

“I'm worried about everything all the time.” I tell her, because it's what bothers me the most.

 

 

“Do you want Aunt Daphne here or would you like to talk alone? We can go over my questions when you're ready.” She asks me, looking concerned.

 

 

“I want to get this over with, but I want my Dads too.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Why? Do you think they need to hear this?” She asks me. 

 

 

“No, but they keep me from worrying.” I tell her. 

 

 

“How do they do that?” She asks me, and I don't mind talking about them.

 

 

“They listen and alway try to help me. They never say mean stuff to each other and they never scare JJ and Julia so I have to do anything to take care of them. I mean, little kids don't understand that adults scream and fight. I like that JJ and Julia never had to worry where they were going to live, because my dads make sure they know their house is a good, safe home. Ryder told me that home is in your head and heart, and JJ and Julia have that, but me and Jenny never know what's going to happen. I mean, when my moms fight, my mom and I move out and I end up living wherever my mom gets Dad to pay for, then they decide they love each other for a while, and I have to get used to being in the house with them together again. Sometimes they get along, but it never lasts, and when Jenny came, it got harder.” I stop because I realized I said too much.

 

 

“Gus, how did it get harder?” She asks me gently.

 

 

“I don’t know.” I tell her. 

 

 

“It's okay to tell me and if you want we can get your dads.” She tells me. 

 

 

“I want Daddy, he helps me talk.” I tell her. 

 

 

Aunt Daphne walks out and brings Daddy with her. I run and hug him, because he told me he'd help when I needed him.

 

 

“Gus, if you don't want to do this we can go.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I want to, it's just that I need to say things that aren't good.” I tell him. 

 

 

“This is to help you, and if saying them bothers you then we can wait until you're ready.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I thought this was about the case?” I ask him. 

 

 

“It is, but I also think you need some help with all the things you worry about. Dr Webber is here to help you even without the case.” He tells me. 

 

 

“You always do that, and I have Dad too, why do I need her?” I ask him.

 

 

“So you don't have to worry about what you say upsetting me and Dad. You hold back so much because you don't want to worry anyone. Think of her as a sounding board, she’ll listen, but nothing you say would upset her the way you think it would upset us.” He tells me. 

 

 

“She's not going to use it to make everyone worry?” I ask him, because that means I can say what I never say.

 

 

“Yes, but she will help you tell us if she feels it's something you need help with.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I can do this.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I know you can, you're too strong not to.” He hugs me.

 

 

“Do you want me to stay?” He asks me. 

 

 

“Not now, but you and Dad will come if I change my mind, right?” I ask him. 

 

 

“Always. Just tell her you want us and we will be here for you.” He tells me. 

 

 

I waited for Daddy to leave because I understand why she's really here, because I can talk and not worry.

 

 

“It became harder because my Dad couldn’t make them do anything because he wasn't Jenny’s father. He could take me but I had to leave Jenny behind, not knowing if they would remember to feed her or change her or play with her. I mean, they must have, because she didn't have rashes and wasn't starving when I got home. It's just, she was a baby and couldn't take care of herself when they started yelling. It worried me until I could teach her to call me, then I could tell her the best places to hide to dull the noise, or we could go to the park if it was the weekend and they fought during the day. I should have taught her to look where we go, because she got lost trying to find Grandma’s house. It's been easier since we are staying with my dads, because Ryder and my dads are there and help her.” I tell her. 

 

 

“You don’t see your moms as being able to help?” She asks me. 

 

 

“Mama is trying, but until she can promise me she's going to take care of Jenny, than no, I don't think so.” I tell her, picking up a baseball she had on the floor and rolling it back and forth. 

 

 

“What about your mom?” She asks me. 

 

 

“She... “ I stop and roll the ball more. “She told me that Jenny wasn't our problem.” I tell her rolling the ball back and forth.

 

 

“Did she say why?” She asks me. 

 

 

“Because Mama chose someone she didn't like to be Jenny’s father.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Instead of your dad?” She asks me and I nod.

 

 

“How did that make you feel?” She asks me. 

 

 

“Jenny's my sister, and she’s smart and really good, I love her, why can't Mom? Mom thinks that if Dad had been Jenny’s father than Mom would get the attention he gave her when I was born. She hates Daddy because he's everything she wanted to be.” I tell her. 

 

 

“What's he like?” She asks me. 

 

 

I looked up at her to see if she really wanted to know and she seemed to.

 

 

“He loves me and I know he loves Jenny, because he brought her a Knight to protect her. He makes my Dad smile and laugh, which I like. He's Daddy.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Gus if you got to choose where to live, knowing Jenny was safe where would you want to live?” She asks me.

 

 

“With my dads, but I still want Jenny around.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Can your dad come in, because I think you need to hear something that's been decided?” She asks me. 

 

 

All I can think is that they want to move back to New York and I can't go because it's too far. 

 

 

“Gus, it's a good thing.” She tells me, so I nod.

 

 

She goes to get him and I can't help but worry, I'm a worrier.

 

 

“Gus, look at me.” Dad tells me, lifting my chin. “Ryder, Daddy, and I found a way you could let Jenny be your sister again.” He tells me. 

 

 

“How? Because I'm trying, I promise. “ I tell him. 

 

 

“Remember the house on the other side of the woods?” He asks me. 

 

 

“Where you want to put a pool?” I ask him. 

 

 

“Yes. Ryder is going to buy it and build a house for Jenny and Mel to live with him there. So you'll be able to see she's okay.” He tells me. 

 

 

“But Ryder likes boys not girls, and well, Mama’s a girl.” I tell him. 

 

 

“They are sharing the house, not getting into a relationship.” He tells me, smirking because he knows I know that.

 

 

“Hey, what about the pool?” I ask, because I wanted that.

 

 

“Yes son, the pool is still being put in.” He tells me sighing dramatically. 

 

 

“I have what I need, but Gus, maybe you and I could keep talking?” She asks me.

 

 

“About anything, or just the stuff?” I ask her. 

 

 

“Whatever you need to talk about, and just need a sounding board for.” She tells me. 

 

 

“It's okay if I do that?” I ask Dad.

 

 

“If you need that then we do it for you.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I'd like that, because she listens like you do.” I tell him. 

 

 

I walk out with my Dad and feel like it's easier to breathe for the first time. Jenny isn’t going back to that house. Ryder will be giving her a good home with a strong foundation, so I can let him take care of her and I can be me again.    

 

 

JUSTIN 

 

 

Ryder took Gus and Bryant with him so we could hear what Dr Webber thinks. I watch Gus and he smiled a real smile which helps us stop worrying for him.

 

 

“First, let me say that young man is going to be a wonderful adult one day, but he's trying to be that now. I'm going to strongly recommend he's supervised if he spends time with his mothers, because he will naturally take the adult role with Jenny.” She tells us. 

 

 

“What about JJ and Julia?” I ask her. 

 

 

“He doesn’t feel like they need that from him, it's most likely why you and Brian haven't seen this sooner. He most likely worried about Jenny but hid it because you offered a place he could be a kid. So, like a kid, he played and had fun, and put aside his worry until he was going home.” She tells us. 

 

 

“Once home he put on his adult hat.” Matt tells us. 

 

 

“Why didn’t he tell me?” Brian asks her. 

 

 

“If he did, what would your response have been?” She asks him. 

 

 

“Angry, worried, and I would have sued to move him with us.” He tells her. 

 

 

“Away from the baby who needed him. It's why he didn't tell you. He couldn’t leave her because he was her protector and he knew the things that worked when his mothers were fighting. Brian, you told me your background, so think about what you would have done if you had a baby sister in that house.” She tells him. 

 

 

“Exactly what he was doing, and worked to get us out of it.” He tells her. 

 

 

“I think if all this hadn’t come to light he would have done that too, he's got a strong desire to protect anyone he sees as helpless. The only problem with that is he's limited in what he can do right now. I think with time we can all help him see that it's okay to protect people, but that he has resources to help him do it.” She tells us. 

 

 

“How do you feel he'd do in court if they make him testify?” Daphne asks her.

 

 

“He would be honest but I also feel it could hurt him to have to say the things out loud in front of a room full of people he cares about. It would be better to let him talk alone to the judge as long as we make sure he understands it's to help him and Jenny.” She tells us. 

 

 

“I'll make sure of that.” Daphne tells us. 

 

 

“When you get home, show him that everything is okay. He needs you to do that because if you don't, he might not talk so openly next time.” She tells us. 

 

 

“We will, but I don’t want Lindsay near him for now.” Brian tells her. 

 

 

“I'm going to talk to a judge and get an emergency order based on his mental well being.” Daphne tells us. 

 

 

“I'll be there to help her, so go home and give him reassurance that he's doing the right thing.” She tells us. 

 

 

Mel, Brian, and I walk out with Matt and Mom to go home. I look at Mel who was wiping tears out of her eyes and know I have to give her my support if we want Gus to grow up without seeing us as not being able to get along.

 

 

“I will never be your best friend, but we can work on friendly acquaintances.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Maybe friends, when you see I'm not the witch you think I am.” She offers.

 

 

“Let's work on the first part, because Gus and Jenny need that.” I tell her.