- Text Size +

JEN 

 

 

“Why are we joining a country club?” Deb asks me. 

 

 

“To make friends and influence people.” I tell her. 

 

 

“She means to make Lindsay sorry for messing with the boys.” Matt tells Deb.

 

 

“I figured it was something like that.” Deb tells him, smiling. 

 

 

“I think the Petersons would love to mingle with us.” I tell them.

 

 

“Is that why you signed in under Lloyd?” Matt asks me. 

 

 

“It's my name, plus it will get their attention. I'm finished letting Craig mess with Justin.” I tell them.

 

 

We were led to the outside dining area, and I look for Lindsay’s parents. Mel told us they come for tennis everyday. I brought Deb because I love her way of cutting through bullshit. 

 

 

“Why the hell would anyone pay five dollars for water?” Deb asks the waiter.

 

 

“We get all our water from fresh, spring fed lakes.” He tells her. 

 

 

“A gallon of spring water is a buck at the grocery store, so maybe you could hike your ass there and get me one.” Deb tells him. 

 

 

“Deb, clubs like these think we should pay for the privilege of sitting here.” Matt tells her.

 

 

“I'll give you water for free at the diner.” She tells him. 

 

 

“We can go there after we finish here. I was going to ask you if you see them, but Craig is here.” I tell her pointing them out. 

 

 

“He really thinks he can get away with this doesn't he?” Matt asks me. 

 

 

“We should invite them to have lunch with us. I tipped the tennis instructor to make sure Lindsay’s parents know I'm here.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I don’t get it, you're rich, they’re rich, why would they care?” Deb asks me. 

 

 

“It's about knowing the right people in this world. Jen and my wife never cared, but other people do.” He tells Deb. 

 

 

“Jen is Jen to me. So they think meeting you would give them a leg up or something?” She asks me. 

 

 

“Deb, being the right kind of rich is everything. My family is old money, so everyone kisses my ass.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I guess you're right, because here comes Mama.” Deb tells me. 

 

 

“Hello, I was told a new member joined and came to welcome you to the club.” Nancy tells us.

 

 

“That's so sweet of you, I was telling my brother-in-law everyone seems so friendly. I'm Jennifer Lloyd and this is Matt Boyd and my dearest friend Debra. Your welcome to join us, we'd love to hear about the club.” I tell her, smiling as Deb snorts. 

 

 

“It's a wonderful club, but very selective.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Debra and I are still deciding if this is the right place for us.” I tell her. 

“Are you moving to the area?” She asks us. 

 

 

“My son recently moved here and I want to be close to him. In fact he's planning a show at a nearby gallery.” I tell her. 

 

 

“That's right, your JJ Taylor's mother. We are so excited to have an artist of his caliber showing here. I was telling my husband that we hope to be invited to attend.” She hints to me.

 

 

“I'll have to ask my son if he has any tickets for you.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Hopefully you can make it four, my daughter recently got engaged and I'm sure it would be a wonderful way to show off the new couple.” She tells us. 

 

 

“That’s exciting for you, has she recently come out?” I ask her.

 

 

“She's getting out of a situation of which we didn’t approve, but her new fiance is the kind of man we can be proud of.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Jen, don’t look now, but that idiot you divorced is here with a young girl.” Deb tells me. 

 

 

”What in the world is Craig doing here? I'm surprised they let him in since it's so selective.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I guess people who try to steal from their children are okay here.” Deb tells me. 

 

 

“What do you mean?” Nancy asks us, frowning.

 

 

“I really hate talking about him, but at least you will know to keep your family away from him. He married me to gain standing, and I fell for it. I later found out he tried to access my children's trusts, because I divorced him. We tried to keep it quiet, but he obviously didn't believe me when my lawyer told him we would prosecute him if he made any contact with my son or daughter. He actually had the gall to try to get custody of my grandchildren, but then he's probably looking for a way to get money again. That poor girl's family will end up paying through the nose to get rid of him. Of course, he’s facing charges for contacting my son, so hopefully that will save them from embarrassment. Imagine the way reporters are going to come out of the woodwork, nothing can be kept a secret then. That poor young lady will have her life splashed all over the papers, for falling in love with with him.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Too bad for her, but then it's not just her, but the whole family that will be written about.” Matt adds.

 

 

“Oh my, it was a pleasure to meet you, but I just remembered an appointment I must keep.” Nancy tells us, looking at her watch.

 

 

I watch as she runs to her husband and starts talking quietly to him. They both look at Craig and Lindsay on the court. Ron walks to Lindsay and pulls her away from Craig, most likely to find out if she knows about him. I smile and wave when Lindsay looks in my direction. Yes you bitch, I'm right here waiting. I turn back to Deb who waves too. 

 

 

“I guess she's dumb enough to think she can take you on. She's headed for us.” Deb tells me. 

 

 

“Your son's headed for her.” I tell Deb, as Michael runs past us.

 

 

“I have no doubt he's here to help.” Deb tells me joking.

 

 

MICHAEL 

 

 

I swear you would think it’s the White House the way they don’t just let you in here. I had to pretend I was leaving then sneak in. Lindsay better be ready to explain why she’s changing plans. I see her walking towards the outdoor restaurant and decide she can wait to talk to the snobs because she isn’t avoiding me.

 

 

“Lindsay, what the hell is going on?” I yell at her.

 

 

“Not now Michael, I need to deal with them.” She tells me pointing at Ma and Jen.

 

 

“What are you doing here Ma?” I ask her.

 

 

“Jen and I were looking for a club to hang out in. Only we decided if they are letting you, Lindsay, and Craig in, it’s just not a place we feel is selective enough.” She yells back at me.

 

 

“Lindsay why are you telling people you're engaged, aren’t you and Mel still married?” Ma yells to her.

 

 

“Ma stay out of it.” I yell at her.

 

 

“Oh goody, I didn’t miss it.” The asshole, Ryder comes, and sits with Ma.

 

 

“I texted you so you wouldn’t.” Ma tells him kissing his cheek.

 

 

“You're being nice to him. He’s stealing my husband.” I yell at her.

 

 

“Michael shut the hell up, people can hear you.” Lindsay tells me.

 

 

“I want to know why I wasn’t told about this engagement with Justin’s father. Remember me, the one who was supposed to be with Brian?” I tell her.

 

 

“Michael, I’m trying to make sure we all get what we want.” She tells me quietly.

 

 

“Hey undecided, what is it you're after? I’ve spent a lot of time trying to figure this out and I’m coming up with nothing. Which is really strange, because usually I can come up so many things. I theorized that you think having a gay man’s kid makes him less gay. But like, didn’t Brian shoot in a cup and hand it to you? Which means that he didn’t want to go near anything that resembled female parts. Still doesn’t explain you trying to rape him for money, but then, like I said, you don’t make a lot of sense to me. Could you give us a vowel or something to explain it?” Ryder tells her.

 

 

“Could you mind your own business?” I yell at him.

 

 

“I could, but you I get, you're still after the dick that wouldn’t touch you Michael. Her, not so much.” Ryder tells Ben.

 

 

“I think she wants the same thing, which makes it funny that they’re working together.” Ben tells Ryder.

 

 

“Still, Brian is like gay, so Michael had a better chance than Lindsay, and since Michael doesn’t stand a chance in hell, then Lindsay’s lost her mind if she thinks she’s going to get anything out of this.” Ryder tells the table.

 

 

“I don’t get how she thinks she has anything over Justin. I mean Justin is a famous artist, comes from a well known family, and is a wonderful father to his kids. What could Lindsay offer?” Matt asks them.

 

 

“Look, why don’t you guys let me talk to Lindsay, and tell Justin…” I start to say, when Lindsay pushes me out of the way.

 

 

“What the hell Lindsay?” I yell at her.

 

 

“Fuck off Michael, you're useless and I never really planned to help you do anything but get the hell out of Brian’s life.” She tells me.

 

 

“What are you talking about? I promised to make sure Brian supported you.” I tell her.

 

 

“I think you need to hear some facts. You are so beneath Brian that it’s laughable. He never wanted you and never will. And lastly, I decided to do what would help me, not you.” She tells me.

 

 

“See, told you she wasn’t keeping you in the game.” Ryder tells me.

 

 

LINDSAY

 

 

I needed to get rid of Michael before he caused my parents to come unglued. My father was already pissed because of what my mother was apparently told by the bitches at the table. I was going to let them know they haven’t won. Why can’t Michael realize that this is not the place to yell like a moron. I told him the truth, that I never planned to do anything for him. 

 

 

“Why are you doing this to me?” Michael asks me.

 

 

“I don’t share, and you’re in my way.” I tell him.

 

 

“You think he would want you?” Michael sneers at me. 

 

 

“No, but I need him to take care of something for me, and I’m sure he will when I tell him what I’ve done.” She tells Michael.

 

 

“Now we are getting somewhere.” Ryder yells at me.

 

 

“It’s over Lindsay, take the loss and move on. I’ll destroy you before I let you hurt my sons.” Jen tells me.

 

 

“It’s not me you need to worry about. I just wanted what belongs to me.” I tell them smiling.

 

 

“Lindsay what is this about?” Mother asks quietly, coming up behind me. Shit, I don’t need her withdrawing her support.

 

 

“I didn’t do anything but find out he’s been lying to me. Mother, I made a mistake.” I tell her, tearing up.

 

 

“Your father is having Craig removed and we’ll tell everyone that you and Craig felt you weren’t ready.” She tells me.

 

 

“Thank you mother. I’m so glad you understand. I just want to go.” I tell her.

 

 

“I’ll send a car to the back, go and I’ll have these people removed.” She tells me. 

 

 

I smile as they all leave. I look at Michael being led out and laugh at the idea that he believes he would have ever gotten Brian to love him, but then he’s always been blind to what we all saw. I hope Brian enjoys the embarrassment of having Justin for a husband. Maybe he’ll finally see that he shouldn’t do anything unless I tell him to. 

 

 

“Yo Lindsay, just so you know, I just joined the game and I like to make sure the mud sticks in a way you will never forget.” Ryder tells me smiling.

 

 

“Brian shouldn’t have put someone in my place.” I tell him.

 

 

“Which is what, the lesbian who only wanted a brain? I think I figured it out, you're still mad that Mummy and Daddy never gave you attention. What, you liked that you were finally popular because you spit out a kid? Honey, lots of people do that, it doesn’t make you special. Is it that Justin managed to succeed at everything you failed?” Ryder asks me, following me as I try to get away from him.

 

 

“I hope you like what happens to bad little girls, because I’m going to make you fucking miserable.” He tells me turning me to face him.

 

 

“I’m already miserable.” I tell him.

 

 

“Why can’t you see you’ve lost and let Brian go?” Ben asks as he comes up.

 

 

“I want him to see what it feels like to lose everything he loves.” I tell Ben.

 

 

“You lost everything without any help.” Ben tells me.

 

 

“Fuck you, Zen Ben.” I tell him.

 

 

“Nope, you make me want to cut off my dick because it’s near you.” Ben tells me.

 

 

“No Ben, don’t, I need that.” Ryder jokes.

 

 

“Tell Brian I’ll see him in hell before I let him and Justin be happy.” I tell them and finally get away from them.

 

 

I don’t want Brian, I want what I had before he turned his back on me. I know that Justin was the reason Brian no longer saw me anymore. I want everyone to see ME again and be sorry they left me in the dark. Craig thinks he can get Justin to pay him off, I just loved making Justin deal with the asshole.