- Text Size +

BRIAN 

 

Justin picked up JJ and Julia from school and I went to get Gus. I was just glad Lindsay wasn’t waiting to interrogate me at the school, surprised but glad. On the way home I told Gus that Mel was probably telling Michael and Lindsay about Justin.

 

“What about JJ and Julia?” He asks me. 

 

“I don’t know if she heard that part.” I tell him. 

 

“She better not hurt them.” Gus tells me.

 

“Gus I doubt they are going to hurt JJ and Julia.” I tell him. 

 

“Just Daddy then. Why can't you and him have a life?” He asks me. 

 

“Gus don't take this on yourself. I shouldn't have kept this a secret for this long.” I don't want him worrying. 

 

“Dad, you did it to protect all of us.” He tells me. 

 

“I did it because I wanted us to have a family life, without everyone trying to be involved.” I tell him. 

 

“How come Mama showed up at your office?” He asks me. 

 

“She wanted to know about something I changed without telling her.” I tell him. 

 

“They're having money problems again.” He tells me. 

 

“They told you?” I ask him, pissed they were involving him in that.

 

“No, they just get loud, so you can't not hear it. Mom went out and bought a bunch of new clothes for herself and maxed out her credit cards again.”  He tells me. 

 

“Gus, let them worry about that.” I tell him. 

 

“Mama told her if they can't find a way to pay the bills they were going to have to sell the house.” He tells me chewing on his lip. 

 

“You know that Justin and I wouldn’t let that happen.” I tell him. 

 

“I want to live with you guys, but I don't want Jenny left alone with them.” He tells me. 

 

“Let me talk to Deb. Between us we can figure this out.” I tell him. 

 

“Does this mean Jenny can meet JJ and Julia. She really needs friends Dad.” Gus tells me. 

 

“That's Mama and Mom's decision.” I tell him. 

 

Gus worries too much for a thirteen year old. Living in two worlds had to be hard for him, especially since he couldn't talk about the one that included his brother and sister, Justin, and me. Unfortunately the world's are about to collide, and Gus will get stuck in the middle with Lindsay.

 

JUSTIN 

 

I called my cousin on the way home because he would listen to me without offering any advice, and well, he would smash heads together if I asked. 

 

“Is there some reason you think they are going to make this into a big deal?” Drew asks me.

 

“Ted and Brian are worried about it, which makes me worry.” I tell him.

“Do you want me to come?” He asks me. 

 

“I would feel better if you could buffer the kids from this, but I don’t want to make you feel as if Brian wouldn’t protect us too.” I tell him. 

 

“It never hurts to have help. I'm off for the season, might as well come see your new house.” He tells me. 

 

“You can finally meet Brian instead of just talking on the phone.” I tell him. 

 

“You're the one who was worried about my reputation, but the team supported me when I came out.” He tells me. 

 

“It wasn't that, it was that Brian’s business kicks up when football is on hiatus.” I tell him. 

 

“Someday we are going to talk about football terminology, but I understand we were just busy. Look I'll arrange a flight and see you in a day or two.” He tells me. 

 

“You need a vacation anyway.” I joke.

 

“You know, sitting on the beach in Italy is just too hard.” He tells me laughing as he hangs up.

 

I guess I need to let Brian know Drew is coming. I wanted them to meet, but Drew was right, we were all so busy that phone calls were all that was available. Maybe Brian and I can convince him to stay here instead of bumming around. I started laughing at Drew dressed in cutoffs and a muscle shirt while carrying a Gucci backpack. 

 

“Where's Dada?” Julia asks. 

 

“He went to pick up Gus.” I tell her. 

 

“Gussy coming, Gussy coming.” She cheered. They both love their big brother.

 

“Is he staying?” JJ asks.

 

“It's his day with us, so yes.” I tell a smiling JJ.

 

I was glad they were happy because right now it felt like a hurricane was headed for us and I wanted to keep things as normal as possible until we couldn’t. Maybe we were making this a worst case scenario because anything would be better than what Brian and Ted fear. All I know is, this is my life and I won't let anyone mess with my family.

 

MEL

 

I waited for Lindsay to get home, she is about to find out that her Peter keeps secrets from her. It finally felt like I had control in my world. I might not be able to stop Brian from seeing Gus, but I could let dear Wendy know that she lost Peter to a kid. I swear, I don't get what causes them to flock to Brian. I should have told Lindsay no when she wanted Brian for a father to our child, but she convinced me he wouldn't be involved and I fell for it.

 

I hear her grumbling as she comes in.

 

“Where’s Jenny?” I ask her.

 

“I left her with Dusty because I didn't want her to have to watch me return shit.” She tells me. 

 

“We can't afford you spending like your mom.” I tell her.

 

“We could if you'd start taking on people who could pay more.” She tells me. 

 

“I'm trying to protect gay mothers from losing their children.” I tell her. 

 

“Well protect ones that can pay better.” She tells me. 

 

“They hire high profile lawyers, not small firms.” I tell her. 

 

“What's the use in being a lawyer if you can't make any money at it? At least Brian used his degree to make it big.” She tells me.

 

“You didn’t marry Brian, you married me. Which means understanding that I use my degree to help people, not sell shit.” I tell her. 

 

“If you had used your degree the right way then I wouldn’t have to shop discount. Our son has better clothes than we do.” She complains.

 

“Maybe you should go ask your precious Brian to support your spending habits, but then he apparently married his own trophy husband, so I guess you're stuck living on a budget. I doubt this kid will want him supporting you AND Gus.” I tell her smirking. 

 

“Mel, that's not even funny.” She tells me. 

 

“I thought it was hilarious when I met the kid he's been married to for four years.” I tell her, waiting for her to explode.

 

“He wouldn’t have married someone without telling me. You probably met some trick.” She tells me. 

 

“He called the kid his husband.” I tell her. 

 

“He was probably trying to fuck with you. Where were you that you even saw Brian?” She asks me. 

 

“I went to his office to find out why Gus’s policy was canceled.” I tell her. 

 

“What did he say?” She asks me. 

 

“That he changed it a year ago, probably because he wanted to give the hubby everything.” I taunt her.

 

“Stop saying that, he would say anything to piss you off.” She tells me, starting to get pissed off at the thought of her Peter finally settling down. 

 

“Brian might, but Ted told me they've been together for five years, which explains all those trips he kept taking. I bet our little Gus knows all about it.” I tell her. 

 

Lindsay stopped trying to deny Brian would lie to her and turned and ran out of the house. I can almost see her running to Michael. I whistled as I thought of those two trying to convince themselves Brian wouldn’t do anything unless they wanted him too.

 

 “Fuck you Brian, enjoy the storm I just unleashed on you.” I giggled as I said it to an empty house. 

 

LINDSAY 

 

I didn’t know where to go, I needed to find out if Brian really married someone, but Ted and Blake would slam the door in my face. I drove into town trying to think who would know. Brian better not have confided in Michael and not me. If anyone had a right to know it’s me, I had his child. I called Michael and asked if he had time to talk. He told me to meet him at the diner.

 

“What's got you in a tissy?” He asks as I sit down.

 

“Have you talk to Brian lately?” I ask him. 

 

“He hasn't been around much.” He tells me, pouting.

 

“What's keeping him so busy?” I ask him. 

 

“I think he's taking Ted’s side. All I did was tell the truth, Blake almost killed Ted. They seem to think my relationship and Emmett’s are a joke.” He tells me. 

 

“Michael, did Brian mention to you about being involved with anyone?” I ask him. 

 

“Lindsay, he tricks, nothing more.” He tells me. 

 

“Apparently he married someone.” I tell him.

 

“Is that a joke?” He asks me.

 

“It better be, but Mel told me she met some kid who Brian told her he married.” I tell him, desperate for Michael to tell me it's a lie.

 

“He was probably fucking with her, you know he hates her.” Michael assures himself.

 

“So Ted was in on it too?” I ask him. 

 

“Ted told her?” He asks me. 

 

“That's what Mel said.” I tell him. 

 

“Maybe he’s helping Brian string Mel along.” Michael suggests.

 

“Ted told her they've been together for five years. Think about all those trips he took. He was gone for two weeks a month, what was he doing?” I ask him. 

 

“He was living his life. Which has nothing to do with either of you.” Deb tells us, standing next to the booth.

 

“He wouldn’t leave us out.” Michael tells her smugly.

 

“He would if he didn't want you upsetting Justin. I'm warning you both now, leave him alone, he's happy and doesn’t need you two ruining it.” Deb tells us and turns go back to work.

 

“We're his friends, he should have included us.” Michael tells her. 

 

“Why, so you could try to run Justin off? He included people who would be happy for him.” She tells us. 

 

“How could you keep this from me?” Michael asks her, realizing that she knew all along.

 

“Easily, I wanted Brian have anything that took the wary look from his eyes, and Justin did that. I didn’t tell either of you that my son found love because you would have been trying to stop it.” She tells us. 

 

“Of course we would, this kid he married is only after his money.” I tell her. 

 

“All Justin wants is to love Brian, plus he doesn't need Brian’s money.  Can you say that? Now either order or let a paying customer sit there.” She tells us, walking away. 

 

“Brian owes us an explanation and I plan to get it.” Michael whispers to me. 

 

“We'll both get one.” I tell him. 

 

“Then we'll deal with the kid.” Michael tells me. 

 

“Hopefully we can get Brian out of this ‘marriage’ without him losing half of everything.” I tell him. 

 

“Brian can pay him off, then you and I need to remind Brian that we are his friends, not Ted.” Michael tells me. 

 

DEB

 

I called to warn Brian that Lindsay and Michael knew. Apparently Mel found out and couldn't wait to cause trouble. I think it's time for Mel and I to talk. It's ridiculous that they can all have lives, but Brian can’t. I won't sit back and let them hurt my sons and grandchildren. I waited for Michael and Lindsay to leave before I took off to see Mel. I doubt Lindsay or Michael will remember the people they married in their quest.

 

“Why are you here?” Mel asks me. 

 

“I would say to see Jenny but since you’re determined to mess with Brian, I'm here to deal with you.” I tell her. 

 

“All I did was let Lindsay know the great news.” She smirks. 

 

“No, you lit the cannon and are waiting for the explosion.” I tell her. 

 

“So you're here to what, make me feel bad?” She tells me rolling her eyes.

 

“Wrong again, I'm here to tell you if you think you've won anything today, you haven't. Unlike you I know you're cannon is going to backfire and leave you all broken and bloody. You aren’t just dealing with Brian.” I tell her. 

 

“I'm not worried about some kid.” She tells me. 

 

“I wouldn’t be either, but the MAN Brian married should worry you. He doesn’t like anyone upsetting Brian. And he will do ANYTHING to protect what they have.” I tell her. 

 

“I doubt he could do anything.” She smirks. 

 

“Just don't say you weren’t warned. Since everything's out in the open why don’t you look up Justin Taylor, the artist. It’s always good to know who you’ve pissed off.” I wait for them to learn Justin and Brian are going to do everything to protect their lives.