- Text Size +

JUSTIN 

 

 

Gus was coming with us today because Roberts requested that we bring him so he could speak to him before our session. Daphne told us that Gus would be asked to talk, but this way he wouldn’t have to do it in front of all of us. She and Frank were in with Gus while we sat waiting. Frank and Lindsay arrived on time, guess she got a clue.

 

 

I can't understand why this keeps going on, it's obvious being with Lindsay is not in Gus’s best interest, but we still have to go through the entire process. Daphne told us that it was to make sure Lindsay couldn’t come back and say the judge didn’t follow proper procedure. What she did yesterday should have been enough. Yet her lawyer can’t seem to see he's been fighting a losing battle from the beginning, or like Lindsay, doesn’t care what happens to Gus. 

 

 

I met David Cameron, who is going to testify today. It makes me wonder if people go blind when they meet Michael. It would explain how he manages to get a date with anyone smarter than a rock. If the way Michael and Lindsay act didn’t clue them in that they were just there to fill a void in their lives, then they deserve what they got, getting involved with the two of them. Looking around, its there in bold neon lights. Neither of them are doing anything but trying to get Brian to look at them.     

 

 

Brian stood talking to Ted and Ryder. Michael kept moving around as if waiting for Brian to look at him. Brian never looked at him or acted as if anyone was filling the space Michael was in. Deb was right, in Michael's eyes this was the worst thing Brian could do. Lindsay’s eyes followed every move Brian made. When that doesn’t work they gravitate to each other as if some invisible string should pull him to them. In a way it's like all of us disappear and only they and Brian are in the room. It makes me uncomfortable that their obsession blinds them to reality.

 

 

“It was always like that.” David tells me, sitting down next to me.

 

 

“Then what made you want a relationship with Michael?” I ask him.    

 

 

“I was arrogant enough to believe I could win Michael away from the God of his dreams. He couldn’t see what Brian really was.” He tells me. 

 

 

“What was that?” I ask him. 

 

 

“Someone who would never give him the relationship he always wanted. Brian made it easy for other men to step into Michael’s life, because of his indifference to Michael's feelings.” He tells me. 

 

 

“But Michael can't see that you or Ben were offering him more.” I tell him. 

 

 

“It's why I sent him home, I wasn't willing to complete with the ghost of Brian Kinney. I learned to look for someone who doesn’t talk obsessively about another man on the first date.” He tells me.  

 

 

“I would have clued in on the first date.” I tell him.

 

 

“I honestly thought he'd see what I was offering was more than being Brian's shadow. Like I said, arrogance can make you believe the impossible will become reality. It’s something Michael has yet to learn, if he ever will.” He tells me. 

 

 

“He'd have to admit that reality will never be the fantasy. Look at Lindsay, she watches Brian the way Michael does.” I tell him. 

 

 

“It makes sense now that she was behind me getting Michael away from Brian. She wanted him for her alone. She and Mel were always telling me to let it go when Michael chased Brian.” He tells me.

 

 

“She can’t seem to grasp the concept that Brian isn’t going to suddenly become straight for her. I mean, nothing either of them are doing makes sense if they want Brian to still want them around.” I tell him.

 

 

“Your thinking and theirs isn’t the same. They see Brian as the prize that if they keep fighting for, they could win, it doesn’t matter how dirty they fight. You see that it’s useless to fight a losing battle. It’s why you're winning and they aren’t. This custody battle should have been over when it started, yet she still thinks there’s some way to win this.” He tells me.

 

 

“How the hell were you ever in a relationship with Michael?” I ask him.

 

 

“Being lonely is a stupid way to get a date.” He tells me, getting up and going to his boyfriend.

 

 

I sat there and thought about Mel staying with Lindsay. Was it that she didn’t want to be alone, so she stayed even when it was apparent that Lindsay wanted something Mel couldn’t give her. I realize that David’s right, it’s arrogance to believe that you can make someone feel things they don’t.

 

I looked back toward the door Gus was behind and hate that it’s a place he had to be. He's been doing well, and I worry how he's going to feel having to talk about it again. Dr Webber told us that Gus having a secure environment at home will make this easier than when he did it the first time. It still didn't make Brian or me happy that Gus was in the building at all.

 

 

GUS

 

 

Aunt Daphne told me just to answer the judge's questions and if I didn't understand something to tell her so they could explain it to me. Mom's lawyer was in here too, but Aunt Daphne told me it's so he hears what I want too. How hard is to understand, I want to live with my dads?

 

 

“Good morning, you must be Gus. I'm Judge Roberts and I wanted to talk about what's being decided in my court. Have you been told why we are here?” He asks me. 

 

 

“My mom doesn't like that I live with my dads.” I tell him. 

 

 

“My job is to decide where you live. I requested to speak to you about the letter you sent me. Can you tell me why you want to live with your dads and have asked not to see your mother?” He asks me. “I need a little clarification on who each person is when you refer to each person, since there are four parents.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Dad is how he refers to Brian Kinney, Daddy is Justin Kinney, Mama would be Melanie Marcus, and Mom is Lindsay Peterson.” Aunt Daphne tells him. 

 

 

“Can you refer to each one that way so we understand who you're talking about when you speak?” He asks me. 

 

 

“If you need me to.” I tell him. 

 

 

“It makes it so we don't have to stop you. Explain to me what it's like to live with your parents.” He tells me. 

 

 

“When I lived with my moms it could be fine one minute, then they would fight and I would have to keep Jenny from getting upset, Jenny’s my sister.” I tell him. “I had to teach Jenny what to do because the noise scared her. It made it hard when I went to visit my dads.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Why?” He asks me. 

 

 

“Jenny was left alone, and I worried if anyone would take care of her. My moms were too busy to remember we were around, but when I was home I could make sure Jenny was okay.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Gus, one of the things that was brought up was why your Dad and Daddy didn’t know you needed help. Is there a reason you never told them?” He asks me. 

 

 

“I knew they would want me to live with them. Jenny needed me, so I made everyone think everything was okay.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Is there a reason you feel you can live with your dads now?” He asks me. 

 

 

“Ryder told me that I could put my sword down, that it's his turn to protect the princess. He told me that it was time for me to be her brother. Dad made it so I can see that she's happy, it helps me not worry about her so much.” I tell him. 

 

 

“How did he do that?” He asks me. 

 

 

“They built a house for Jenny, near my house. I can see her all the time, so I know she’s happy.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Ryder Boyd and Melanie Marcus, bought property near Brian Kinney. It's close enough that all the kids can run between the houses to play.” Aunt Daphne explains.

 

 

“Gus, is there a reason you don't want to see your mom?” He asks me. 

 

 

“She only wants my Dad, not me.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Gus, your mother wants you.” Frank tells me. 

 

 

“I have to be home schooled because the other kids heard what Mom did. If she thought about me, she wouldn't have made up lies about my dad. I wouldn’t have had to listen to kids call her a child molester.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Gus, thank you for talking to us. It makes my decision easier.” He tells me.

 

 

I started to worry, but Aunt Daphne was smiling so I must have said the right things. I walk out to see mom looking at me. I run to Dad, because he's carrying my sword for me.

 

 

BRIAN

 

 

Roberts comes out and calls us to order. I had Deb take Gus out of here, because I don’t want him to hear anything. Daphne calls David to the stand but I think Deb managed to convince everyone Michael’s a jealous idiot.

 

 

“Dr. Cameron, tell the court how you saw Michael Novotny and Lindsay Peterson’s interactions with Brian Kinney.” Daphne tells him.

 

 

“It was like watching two wives fighting over a husband who didn’t want them.” He tells her.

 

 

“Can you elaborate?” She asks.

 

 

“If Brian wanted something they dropped everything to run to him. In their eyes Brian was the ultimate prize, it didn’t matter that he never saw either of them as more than a friend.” He tells us.

 

 

“Do you see this case as a continuation of that behavior?” She ask him.

 

 

“The only difference is it seems like revenge for not giving them what they want. Lindsay, when I  knew her, constantly encouraged my relationship with Michael, I believe it was to get him off the field, and leave it clear for her.” He tells her.

 

 

“What would that do for her, since Brian is and always has been openly gay?” She asks him.

 

 

“I don’t think she believes he is.” He tells her.

 

 

“Why do you say that?” Daphne asks him.

 

 

“If she did would she try to trap him in the way a woman would try to trap a man in the past? If a woman wanted a husband she made it impossible for him to leave her. Lindsay picked Brian to have Gus and now wanted to make him think the child she was carrying is his. I could be speculating, but all the signs are there.” He tells her.

 

 

“Why were you willing to testify for Mr. Kinney?” She asks him.

 

 

“He never asked for what Michael and Lindsay are doing, and I don’t blame him for the problems Michael and I had. Brian wasn’t standing in my way, Michael’s love and obsession for Brian was.” He tells her.

 

 

“No further questions, Your Honor.” Daphne tells him.

 

 

“Cross, Mr Walls.”

 

 

“No Your Honor.” Frank tells him, looking defeated.

 

 

“Any further witnesses Mrs. Lange?” He ask Daphne.

 

 

“No Your Honor the defense rests.” She tells him.

 

 

“We’ll have a short recess and I will be back to render my verdict.” He tells us.

 

 

I look at Frank and I can see he realizes that it’s over. Why it took until today for it to finally be over I can’t really understand, but if this is what it took than it was worth it for Gus.

 

 

We wait until the Judge calls for order to hear what was to be the outcome from the moment this all started.

 

 

“In reviewing this case, I wanted to make sure that my decision was based on what was best for Gus Marcus-Peterson. In most cases we like to give a child the chance to have all the parents involved, because it gives them a more rounded upbringing. Ms Peterson, bringing a child into the world means that you give up your needs to protect your child from all harm. What you’ve proved is that your needs come before your child’s. In all your actions in this court, you proved that you wanted Gus to be a pathway to his father. Mr Kinney, your son sees your home as a place he feels loved and safe and can grow up without worry. So my decision is that Mr. Kinney will have primary custody of Gus Marcus-Peterson, until such time that Ms Peterson can prove she is able to give Gus the security he feels with his fathers. I have also ordered an evaluation of Ms Peterson in order to insure she isn’t a danger to her son, before any visitations will be allowed with Gus Marcus-Peterson. Case dismissed.” Roberts tells us.

 

 

“HOW COULD YOU LET THEM DO THIS TO ME?” Lindsay screams at Frank hysterically.

 

 

“You did this on your own Lindsay. I tried to warn you not to even let it go this far. You had visitation and you couldn’t let that be enough.” He tells her, packing his things.

 

 

“You thought you could win against the great Daphne Lange. I should have dropped you then.” She tells him, with Michael trying to pull her out of the room.

 

 

“You really think you could have found anyone who could have won this case with you doing the damage to it you did?” He asks her, walking out of the courtroom. 

 

 

“Brian, you can’t think Gus being away from me is a good thing.” She tells me.

 

 

“Justin, you ready to go home?” I ask him.

 

 

“Hey, can we just go to Hawaii? I think a warm climate is better than the frosty freeze here.” Ryder tells us smiling at Lindsay.

 

 

“Why not, Emmett can help get everything together. We just have to show up.” Justin tells me.

 

 

“BRIAN TALK TO ME.” Lindsay begs.

 

 

I kiss Justin and hold my hand out to grab his, and we walk by her as if she’s a ghost, roaming the halls of my life along with Michael. This is the future, walking into the hall to get our son and go home.