- Text Size +

JUSTIN 

 

We were just about to go pick up Gus when Ted called to tell us Emmett wanted to come for the weekend.

 

“Tell him to meet us at Lindsay’s house.” I tell him. 

 

“How about we let him pick up Gus and I give him directions to your house. That way you guys don't have to deal with the girls.” Ted tells me. 

 

“You don’t think this will cause them to bitch that Brian should have picked him up?” I ask him. 

 

“I think if they piss Emmett off, my Queen will come out.” Ted tells me. 

 

“Did he tell you why he wanted to come here. I don't mind, but he didn’t seem like he liked me much.” I tell him. 

 

“I'm hoping you'll get to meet the Emmett who loves everyone.” He tells me. 

 

“I’ll tell Brian to call so they know to expect Emmett. Then tell Emmett I’ll stay behind while Brian gets stuff for the fort he wants to build. I’m just glad Drew will be here, Brian seems to think the boys need a castle not a fort.” I tell Ted, smirking at Brian, who flips me off.

 

“Blake and I will be there tomorrow.” Ted tells me.

 

“Can you pick up Deb for me? I have to get Drew tomorrow morning and then get him settled.” I tell Ted.

 

“Not a problem, but make Emmett talk tonight. Hopefully he’ll be ready to drop the asshole.” Ted tells me.

 

“Tell me how you really feel about him.” I joke.

 

“He’s not worth the time it takes to think of all the things I want to call him.” Ted tells me and hangs up.

 

“Emmett’s coming to spend the weekend. Ted said he’d get Emmett to pick up Gus but you better call to make sure they don’t turn this into you not taking care of him.” I tell him.

 

Brian picks up his phone and dials.

 

“Mel, have Gus ready, Emmett is picking him up.” Brian hangs up before they can say anything.

 

“You need to get nails, in all these plans you forgot the thing that holds it together.” I tell him looking at his idea of a fort.

 

“I’ll be back.” He tells me, trying to look like he didn’t forget.

 

EMMETT

 

I tried to put on clothes that I like, but it’s like I hear Calvin telling me not to do it. I end up just throwing on jeans and a sweater, small steps. My phone keep ringing but I’m not going to let Calvin try to talk me out of going. Ted called and asked if I could pick up Gus and take him with me.

 

“Emmett, the girls might try to get you to tell them where you're going. I’m asking you not to tell them.” Ted tells me.

 

“What’s going on that they’re bitching about Gus spending time with Brian?” I ask him.

 

“It’s about Justin, not Brian. They aren’t happy that Brian kept his marriage a secret for four years. I think Lindsay almost had a stroke when Julia and JJ came to Brian’s office.” Ted tells me.

 

“Who are Julia and JJ?” I ask him.

 

“This is what you get for not seeing me. Brian and Justin have two kids of their own, JJ and Julia. Brian wanted Justin and him to have kids.” He tells me.

 

“Bet that had Lindsay’s Wasp buzzing and ready to sting.” I tell him.

 

“I miss you, take this weekend and do what brings my Emmett home.” Ted tells me.

 

“I’m trying, but I lost myself somewhere.” I tell him.

 

“I hear it coming out slowly. Being proud of the man you are is all I want for you. Blake told me that if you wear anything that makes you look like me he’s going to cut it up.” Ted tells me as Blake takes the phone.

 

“Emmett, I said that if you aren’t going to show us what a Queen dresses like I was going to bleach your clothes.” Blake jokes.

 

“It’s like I’ve been conditioned to think it’s wrong.” I tell him.

 

“Then talk to Justin, he really listens.” Blake tells me.

 

“I never thought I would see the day Brian got married.” I tell him.

 

“He met someone worth marrying, it’s why I married Ted.” Blake tells me.

 

“Thank you for not giving up on me, even when I acted like an ass.” I tell him.

 

“You’re worth so much more than you know. Emmett, I always respected the way you stood up to me when I was still messed up. The fact that you seem to think that you needed to change to be loved scared me enough that I wanted to kidnap you.” Blake tells me.

 

“I hope Justin and I get along.” I tell him.

 

“Emmett he willingly played Queen to get through to you. I think you’ll find he’s easy to get to know.” Blake tells me.

 

“I’ll get Gus and see you guys tomorrow.” I tell him and hang-up, grabbing my keys and locking the door to my… someone else’s home.

 

BEN

 

I was grading papers while Michael paced around the living room. Deb told me about Brian and his husband and that I needed to get my husband under control. I told her that it was time for Michael to learn that Brian didn’t belong to him. I can’t keep babying an adult. I wanted to get up and run when Michael turned to me.

 

“When we got together, I wanted everyone to know. To me it shows how proud I am that you were in my life.” Michael tells me.

 

“Everyone’s different, Brian’s always kept his private life private. I don’t think it’s that he wasn’t proud of his husband, just that he wanted to be able to spend time with him without interference.” I tell him, because I know that Brian wouldn’t have had a minute of peace if he had brought his husband to meet the whole family.

 

“The Brian I know would have wanted Lindsay and I to approve.” He tells me.

 

“Is there some reason you think he needs your approval, and don’t say because he’s your bestfriend.” I tell him to make him think of a better reason.

 

“Are you trying to tell me that I didn’t have a right to know what's going on in Brian’s life?” He asks me glaring. 

 

“I'm telling you that he has the right to not tell you. It has nothing to do with anyone but him and his husband. You don’t share everything in our lives with Brian.” I tell him. 

 

“Of course I do, it's what be…” I interrupt him.

 

“Do not use your friendship as an excuse for being a shit about Brian’s choices.” I tell him. 

 

“What if this guy is conning Brian? Shouldn’t people who care about Brian try to warn him?” He asks me. 

 

“Brian’s smart enough to know if someone is conning him. Your mother told me that Justin doesn’t want anything but Brian. That should be all that matters.” I tell him. 

 

“I can’t believe she kept it from me.” He tells me.

 

“Michael, part of the reason is what you're doing now.” I tell him as the doorbell rings.

 

Michael walked to the door still talking under his breath. I think Brian did the right thing not telling Michael and Lindsay. Neither of them care if he's happy, just that he is who they want him to be. I look up in time to see Calvin coming in and just sit back at the table because I hate this guy.

 

“Where's Emmett?” Michael asks him.

 

“Acting like an asshole. Apparently he would rather spend time with Ted and Brian. It didn't seem to matter what I want.” Calvin complains. 

 

“Call him and tell him we can hang out.” Michael tells him.

 

“He wants to get to know Brian’s husband. I think Ted is trying to interfere with our relationship again.” Calvin tells Michael. 

 

“What’s wrong with Emmett wanting to spend time with his friends?” I ask because this is bullshit.

 

“Every time he gets around Ted and Blake it causes problems for us. Ted seems to think Emmett needs to be flamboyant instead of normal.” Calvin tells me. 

 

“I don’t understand why it matters.” I tell him. 

 

“This is Ted trying to get involved in something that isn't his business.” Michael tells me. 

 

“Interesting that you say that.” I tell him. 

 

“What do you mean?” Michael asks me. 

 

“I think you need to apply what you've just said to your argument about Brian. If Ted, Emmett’s best friend, doesn't have any business in Emmett’s life, than you shouldn't be bitching about Brian’s.” I tell him. 

 

“It’s not the same thing.” Michael tells me. 

 

“Keep telling yourself that if it makes you happy. I'm going to finish grading papers at my office. I don't want to sit here and listen to you two complain together.” I tell him as I shove my papers in my bag. 

 

“Why are you pissed?” Michael asks me. 

 

“I'm tired of listening to you and Calvin turn Emmett into someone I don't know. If you can't love Emmett for who he is then get out of his life.” I tell them both as I walk out the door.

 

I tried to stay out of it, but watching Emmett become someone else is fucked up. I can't even say I'm surprised Michael helped encourage it. This shit about Brian is just another example of why I wonder who I married.             

 

EMMETT 

 

I saw Ben walking down the sidewalk and stopped to see if he needed a ride. He looked like he was pissed. 

 

“You want a lift somewhere?” I ask him rolling down the window.

 

“Can you take me somewhere that I don't have to listen to Michael bitch?” He asks sarcastically.

 

“I'm hiding out at Brian’s house.” I tell him. 

 

“That’s why Calvin's bitching.” He tells me. 

 

“Michael’s mad at Brian, I guess.” I tell him. 

 

“Of course, how dare Brian get a life Michael doesn't know about.” He tells me, getting in the car. 

 

“I have to pick up Gus, but we can take you wherever you want to go.” I tell him.

 

“Anywhere but my house.” He tells me.

 

“I can call and see if they don’t mind you coming over too. It’s the only place I can think of that Michael and Calvin can’t find.” I tell him.

 

“I don’t want to intrude.” He tells me.

 

“I’m doing it because I need to think about whether having someone is more important than being myself.” I tell him.

 

“It’s not. If Michael doesn’t stop acting like he and Lindsay have to approve everything Brian does, I don’t know if I want to stay in this marriage.” He tells me.

 

I call Brian to see if it’s okay to bring Ben with me.

 

“Hey, do you have any idea what kind of nails I should get to build a fort?” Brian asks me.

 

“Hello, the kind that hold boards together.” I tell him.

 

“Duh, but they have like a couple hundred kinds. I’ll just ask the girl staring at me. Did you need something?” Brian asks me.

 

“Ben wants to escape Michael, would it be okay if I bring him with me?” I ask him.

 

“As long as you don’t bring Michael, sure. Tell Ben my house is a whine free zone.” Brian tells me.

 

“We’ll see you soon, do you want us to meet you where you are?” I ask him.

 

“No, go to the house. Justin’s waiting for you, but don’t mention that I asked about the nails.” He tells me hanging up.

 

“Brian said if you want you can come. We can always get you back when you want.” I tell him.

 

“Might as well meet the reason I’m running away from home.” He tells me.

 

We get to Lindsay and Mel’s and hear them yelling. Ben and I hurry to the door because I can hear Gus telling them he’s leaving and taking Jenny if they don’t stop. What the hell is going on here?

 

“Gus, you aren’t going anywhere until we say you can.” Mel yells at him.

 

“I’m going to see my dads.” He tells her.

 

“DAD not dads, that person your father married is not your Dad.” Lindsay tells him.

 

“Then I guess Mel isn’t my mom either, since she’s only married to you.” Gus tells her.

 

“Keep talking like that and you won’t go anywhere.” Mel tells him as Gus opens the door.

 

“Gus, I don’t want to be here.” Jenny whispers.

 

“Jenny get back here.” Mel comes charging towards the door. She stopped when she saw Ben and I standing there.

 

“Gus, get your things.” Ben tells him.

 

“Not a word till the kids are upstairs.” I warn them both.

 

When Gus and Jenny get upstairs Ben turns to the girls.

 

“Why are you two fighting with the kids?” Ben asks them.

 

“Gus suddenly thinks that he doesn’t have to listen to us. It’s because Brian and his child bride spoil him. Gus doesn’t deserve to get rewarded for acting up.” Lindsay tells us.

 

“You want to start that fight with Brian?” I ask her.

 

“I want my son to realize that he doesn’t get away with disrespecting us.” Mel tells us.

 

“What did he do?” I ask them.

 

“He wanted to take Jenny to Brian’s house.” Mel tells us rolling her eyes.

 

“Why is that a problem?” Ben asks her.

 

“I don’t want Jenny around Brian.” Mel tells him.

 

“Jenny needs friends and you two don’t care.” Gus tells them.

 

“Gus go back to your room. I think you can spend this weekend home.” Mel tells him.

 

“You aren’t keeping me from my DADS.” He yells at them.

 

“I don’t want to stay here without Gus.” Jenny tells us.

 

“See what happens when Brian takes Gus? Gus acts like a spoiled brat and encourages Jenny.” Mel tells us.

 

“All I see is Gus wanting his sister to spend time with his other siblings.” Ben tells her as Lindsay scowls at the mention of the other kids.

 

“It’s none of your business.” Mel tells him.

 

“How about I call Brian and see what he thinks.” I tell her.

 

“Fuck, just take him.” Mel tells me.

 

“I want to go with Gus.” Jenny pouts.

 

“They didn’t invite you.” Lindsay tells her.

 

“Dad and Daddy wouldn’t care.” Gus tells them.

 

“Gus, you will not call that man Daddy, do you understand.” Mel tells him.

 

“Sure Mel, I’ll make sure to call everyone by their names.” Gus tells her.

 

“You deal with him.” Mel tells Lindsay and walks into the kitchen.

 

“Mom, I’m taking Jenny with me, or calling Grandpa Carl and telling him you guys are upsetting Jenny.” Gus tells her.

 

“Gus, you need to remember that your father has other kids and probably wouldn’t want Jenny around.” Lindsay tells him.

 

“Yes they would.” Gus tells her.

 

“Lindsay, let her come with us.” I tell her.

 

“Mel, doesn’t want her to go.” Lindsay tells us.

 

I walk in the kitchen to see Mel staring at a cup of coffee.

 

“Why are you keeping Jenny from meeting other kids?” I ask her.

 

“I’m keeping my daughter from becoming a spoiled brat.” She tells me.

 

“So Gus wanting his sister to have fun is being spoiled? Are you fucking kidding me?” I ask her.

 

“Brian is not going to be around my kid.” She tells me.

 

“Then deal with her being upset because she doesn’t get to do something with Gus.” I tell her.

 

“Mel, I’m taking Jenny whether you want me to or not.” Ben tells her.

 

“Then I’ll call someone to arrest you.” She tells him.

 

“Emmett let’s go, I didn’t get away from Michael to deal with Michael Jr.” Ben tells me.

 

We go back and tell Gus we need to go. Gus hugs Jenny and whispers to her. Jenny runs to her room crying and I want to slap the girls for this. We get in the car and head to Brian’s house. When we get there Gus runs out of the car and straight into Justin’s arms.

 

“What happened?” Justin ask Gus who has his head buried in Justin’s chest.

 

“They wouldn’t let Jenny come.” He tells Justin.

 

“We can’t do anything about it now, but I promise to think of something.” Justin tells Gus.

 

“I just wanted her to meet JJ and Julia.” He tells him.

 

“Why don’t you go in and see them.” Justin tells him.

 

“They were trying to say I couldn’t come.” He tells Justin as he runs in the house.

 

“This was so much easier when everyone didn’t know about me.” Justin tells us.

 

“Justin this is Ben, Michael’s husband.” I introduce them.

 

“Nice to meet you, welcome to our house.” Justin tells us, leading us in.

 

“Aren’t you going to Queen out for me?” I ask him.

 

“No, but if we get drunk I will.” Justin tells me smiling.

 

“Thanks for letting us invade your house.” Ben tells him.

 

“Help me stop Brian from building a fort that seems to have three bedrooms and a bathroom and I’ll be thanking you.” He tells us.

 

“You do realize you married Brian Kinney?” I ask him.

 

“Yeah, but I didn’t think he would have an architect design a fort.” Justin tells us.

 

“Get used to it, my children get the best.” Brian tells Justin, coming in behind us.

 

“I could hire someone to build it, that way it would be done before they outgrow it.” Justin tells him. 

 

“It’s not that big.” Brian tells him.

 

“Tell that to someone who hasn’t see the plans.” Justin tell him.

 

“Well Drew can bring a team if we need it.” Brian tells him.

 

“Please, other than knock people over, Drew doesn’t get his hands dirty.” Justin tells Brian.

 

“Tackle. Justin.” Brian tells him.

 

“What’s the difference?” Justin asks him winking at me.

 

“I let him explain it.” Brian tells Justin, pulling the blond to him.

 

“He’ll just use terms that make football sound gay.” Justin smiles up to Brian.

 

“Only because he wants you to actually pay attention.” Brian tells him pecking his lips.

 

“Look at them, they don’t even realize we’re here.” I whisper to Ben.

 

“It makes our relationships look shallow.” Ben whispers back.

 

“I think it just makes me realize I want more.” I tell him.

 

“Me too.” Ben tells me.