- Text Size +

JUSTIN 

 

 

I don't get why Ted and Brian think I can help Emmett, but they seem to think he would have an easier time talking to me. Emmett offered to help make dinner while Brian played with the kids. Ben kept staring at me like he was looking for something.

 

 

“How did you meet Brian?” Emmett asks me. 

 

 

“I was sketching in Central Park, looked up and saw him. He was wandering around and I wanted to draw him. So I asked him to stand still.” I tell him. 

 

 

“What made you stop him?” Ben asks me. 

 

 

“He had a story I wanted to tell.” I tell him. 

 

 

“You're an artist?” Emmett asks me. 

 

 

“I just like to draw.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Don’t be modest. Justin’s famous in New York.” Brian tells him pulling me in for a kiss.

 

 

“People just like my work.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I'm surprised Lindsay isn't kissing your ass, she acts like she knows art better than anyone.” Emmett tells me. 

 

 

“I doubt she made the connection to my art. I go by my grandfather's first name and my sperm donor's last name.” I tell him.

 

 

“Which is?” Ben asks me. 

 

 

“JJ Taylor, we named our son after my grandfather.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I'm not really an art fan, so I've never heard of you.” Emmett tells me. 

 

 

“I have, your art is beautiful.” Ben tells me. 

 

 

“Did you paint the stuff on the walls?” Emmett asks me. 

 

 

“Some of them, others are from my grandfather's collection.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Ben, want to help me get stuff out of the garage?” Brian asks him. 

 

 

“We want to help too.” JJ comes running in with Gus and Julia.

 

 

“Dad, I'll help.” Gus tells him. 

 

 

“I can help too.” Julia begs Brian.

 

 

“You help me princess, we'll carry the important things.” Brian tells her. 

 

 

“Which means we get to do the fun stuff.” Gus whispers to JJ.

 

 

I smile as they run to beat Brian and Ben to the garage.

 

 

“Brian is so relaxed with you.” Emmett tells me. 

 

 

“We do that for each other. It's nice to be with someone who wants the same thing.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I thought the same thing when I met Calvin.” He tells me. 

 

 

“What changed?” I ask him. 

 

 

“It was little things at first. He would give me this look when I wore something he didn’t like, and I changed clothes. Then he would wince when I flamed but would compliment me when I didn’t. He never said anything, just showed me by his actions when he didn’t like it.” He tells me. 

 

 

“As time went on you learned to curb who you were for him.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Yeah, I thought it was a small price to pay. He offered me a relationship, which is what I've always wanted.” He tells me. 

 

 

“What does he give up for you?” I ask him. 

 

 

“I can't think of anything he gave up.” Emmett tells me after thinking about the question. 

 

 

“Yet you did.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Did you give up anything for Brian?” He asks me. 

 

 

“No, we gave to each other. Our only argument was over combining finances. Brian worried about my money.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Brian’s well off, why would he worry?” Emmett tells me. 

 

 

“I think he just didn't want me to think he was interested in me because I inherited a fortune.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I could see him having a problem with that, he’s used to being the one taking care of people.” He tells me. 

 

 

“He used to tell me that he might help people financially, but you helped them emotionally.” I tell him. 

 

 

“He said that?” Emmett asks me smiling. 

 

 

“Ted and Blake were always telling me that I would love you, because you love unconditionally.” I tell him. 

 

 

“They are two of the best friends I've ever had. No matter what, they are there.” He tells me. 

 

 

“They think the same about you. Emmett, Brian told me that he's successful because he can find a way to sell you an idea and make you believe you want it. It sounds like this Calvin guy would do great in Brian’s business. He sold you on the idea that you weren't good enough and somehow you believed it.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I started thinking it's like conditioning, you know, like when that guy got dogs to salivate by ringing a bell.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Yes, but you aren't an animal.” I tell him. 

 

 

“It’s a form of abuse.” Ben tells him walking in.

 

 

“What do you mean?” Emmett asks him.

 

 

“He wasn't physically abusing you, he was mentally doing it. And he was doing it slowly, which makes it harder for you to see. He wanted you to be who he wanted, not who you are.” Ben tells him. 

 

 

“Like Michael and Lindsay with Brian.” Emmett tells him. 

 

 

“The difference is you wanted to please Calvin, so you stopped being you. Brian controlled his abusers by finding his own life.” Ben tells him. 

 

 

“That's why I came here, to figure out if being with Calvin is worth giving up being me.” He tells us. 

 

 

“No one should make you change who you are.” Ben tells him. 

 

 

“Didn’t you change a little to be with Michael?” Emmett asks him. 

 

 

“I think I overlooked things that I wouldn't normally overlook.” Ben tells him. 

 

 

“Like what?” Emmett asks him. 

 

 

“That Michael has a selfish side and can get really nasty when he doesn't like something.” Ben tells Emmett while looking at me.

 

 

“He can get over it, because I'm not going anywhere.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Just be careful with Michael and Lindsay, neither one of them is handling Brian and you being together well.” Ben tells me. 

 

 

 “I couldn’t believe Mel being upset because Jenny wanted to come here. I even tried to talk to her about it but she wouldn't budge.” Emmett tells me. 

 

 

“We can't do anything about Jenny, but if they upset Gus they're going to find out what it's like to have their lives under a microscope.” I tell them. 

 

 

“I was really proud of Gus, he kept turning their arguments back on them.” Emmett tells me. 

 

 

“He's Brian’s son, what did you expect?” Ben asks us.

 

 

LINDSAY 

 

 

“Mel go talk to her.” I tell her listen to Jenny cry.

 

 

“She'll get over it. She thinks that we'll give in the way you do for Gus.” She tells me as she’s reading her briefs.

 

 

“Why don’t we use it to see where Brian lives.” I tell her. 

 

 

“So I can hear about how BRIAN provides better for Justin?” She snipes.

 

 

“This isn’t about that, I just don’t think it's right that we don't know where he lives.” I tell her. 

 

 

“It just kills you that your precious Peter won't let you into the new wonderland doesn't it?” She sneers.

 

 

“It kills you that you weren't invited doesn’t it?” I sneer. 

 

 

“I DON’T NEED ASSHOLES IN MY LIFE TO MAKE IT COMPLETE.” She yells. 

 

 

“That’s great because in every group someone has to be an ASSHOLE, guess you do it so well you don’t want competition.” I tell her.

 

 

“YOU'RE THE ONE WHO CAN'T SEEM TO REMEMBER BRIAN’S A FAGGOT. YOU THINK BECAUSE HE FUCKED YOU ONCE YOUR PUSSY IS FUCKING GOLD.” She tells me. 

 

 

“At least people want me, all they see is a raving bitch every time you walk in a room.” I tell her. 

 

 

“They're seeing what you made me.” She sneers. 

 

 

“I didn’t make you that way, you did it all on your own. Even your friends don't support you. Ted can't even be bothered to talk to you because you never stop bitching about how being a woman is the reason your career hit the fucking wall. You want to know what it really is? It's that you think your way is the fucking right way, fuck anyone else.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I'm trying to help people who were too stupid to help themselves. They married men because they were too weak to see that men are fucking useless. If they listened to me we would win. At least my job benefits people, unlike yours, where you sit around staring at people's work knowing that you could never be one of them. Does it bother you that like your mother, your only talent is calling for takeout.” She sneers. 

 

 

“At least my father made enough money that she could.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Fuck you, I'm going to get the hell out of here before I say something that will really hurt you.” She tells me, walking to the front door.

 

 

“Say it, because you know your alway right.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Sure, maybe it will open your eyes. Ever wonder why the men you fucked never came back? It’s because laying on your back like a cold fish makes their dicks soft.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Well for a lesbian you don't seem to know what a woman needs to be satisfied. Why not call Brian and ask him how many orgasms I had in one night, it sure was more than the ones I fake with you.” I tell her back as she slams out the door.

 

 

Shit, this wasn't what I wanted her to do. Why can't she see that we need to make them comfortable with having us around. I doubt Justin would see it coming if he thought we were friends. All we have to do is find something to force him and Brian to give us what we want. Fuck Mel, Jenny is going to make some friends for us.

 

 

With that thought in mind I go up to Jenny’s room to tell her the good news. I knock on her door.

 

 

“Jenny, honey let Mommy take you to Gus.” I say through the door. 

 

 

When she didn't answer I knocked again and opened the door.  I looked around and didn't see her.

 

 

“Jenny, come out and we can go to Gus’s father's house.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Jenny, where are you?” I yell and am greeted to silence.

 

 

Where the hell is she? I search the house and can't find her anywhere. I called Mel to see if she somehow got Jenny out without me hearing.

 

 

“I need five minutes without hearing from you, is that so fucking hard.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Do you have Jenny?” I ask her calmly.

 

 

“I'm going to a bar, why would I have her?” She tells me. 

 

 

“Because if you don't than where is she?” I ask her. 

 

 

“In her fucking room being a be drama queen.” She tells me. 

 

 

“She isn't here. I've looked everywhere. Get your ass back here and look for her.” I tell her. 

 

 

BRIAN 

 

 

As much as I want Emmett to see he doesn't need the asshole he's dating, it's not my thing to sugar coat it the way Justin can. Me, I just tell you drop the dead weight. It's why my life with Justin works, he doesn't play games. It's why I'm dragging boards to the backyard because it's what makes my children happy. JJ and Julia got bored and ran inside to see Justin. Which will hopefully make it easier for Gus to talk to me. Gus seems to want me to believe he's not upset. I figured we’d keep working until he tells me what's wrong. His cell rings and he looks at confused. 

 

 

“Hello?” He asks when he answers.

 

 

“Are you okay?” Gus asks dropping his board.

 

 

“You can't just leave.” He tells the person on the phone. 

 

 

“Where are you?” He asks. 

 

 

“Look up and tell me what a sign says.” He says.

 

 

“Hold on.” He says looking at me.

 

 

“Just tell me.” I tell him when he chews his lip.

 

 

“Jenny left the house when Mom and Mama started yelling.  She thought she could find Grandma’s, but she's lost.” He tells me. 

 

 

I take the phone from him. “Gus tell Justin to call Grandpa and let him know Jenny needs him.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Jenny, this is Brian. Can you tell me where you are?” I ask her.

 

 

“I got lost.” She sniffles.

 

 

“I know, but are you near your house?” I ask her.  

 

 

“Maybe, but Gus always takes me everywhere so I don't pay attention to where we go.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Do you see a sign anywhere?” I ask her as Justin and Gus come running outside.

 

 

“Carl asked if you know where she is?” Justin asks me. 

 

 

“The sign says ‘no outlet’.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Is there another sign?” I ask her. 

 

 

“No.” She tells me crying.

 

 

“Can you go back the way you came and see if you can find one?” I ask her. 

 

 

“I'm scared it's getting really dark.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Ask her how long she walked, Carl thinks it will help them get an idea where to look.” Justin tells me. 

 

 

“Jenny how long have you been gone?” I ask her. 

 

 

“I left when they yelled.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Was it a few minutes ago or longer.” I ask her. 

 

 

“It was after Gus left, or longer. I'm not sure. I see a car should I let them see me.” She asks me. 

 

 

“Only if you know them, honey it might not be safe.” I tell her. 

 

 

“The car parked in one of the driveways.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Someone pulled up to a driveway.” I tell Justin who tells Carl.

 

 

“He said see if she can see the license plate and numbers on the mailbox.   

 

 

“Mr Brian, I think they see me. The man is coming towards me.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Stay on the phone so I know what's going on.” I tell her. 

 

 

I hear a guy asking if she's lost. Jenny tells him that I'm on the phone. The guy asked for the phone and I tell Jenny to give it to him. 

 

 

“Hello, is there some reason this kid is by herself?” The guy asks me.

 

 

“I'm trying to find out, she's my son's sister and is supposed to be with her mother. “ I tell him. 

 

 

“It's not really a great neighborhood for her to be in this time of night.” He tells me. 

 

 

“If you'll tell us where you are her grandfather will come get her. He's a detective in Pittsburgh.” I tell him. 

 

 

“My address is 34 Maplewood Lane. My wife and I can keep her in the house until he comes. ” He tells me. 

 

 

I tell Justin the address and can hear Carl yell, wanting to know how she got there. Justin told him to ask Mel and Lindsay and hangs up.

 

 

“Mr Brian is it okay to go with him?” She asks me. 

 

 

“Yes, just stay on the phone until Grandpa gets there.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Can I talk to Gus?” She asks me. 

 

 

I hand the phone to Gus and watch my son speak calmly to her. I look at Justin who knows I have to take Gus to see her.

 

 

“Brian he needs to see she's alright. Then tell Mel and Lindsay they better have a good reason they weren’t watching her.” He tells me pissed.