- Text Size +

 

Druid II

Chapter 10


Brian clicked his computer, saving and then minimizing the screen he had been working on. He leaned back in his big executive chair at Triskele. It was three days since he had been taken to the police station for questioning. He just wanted this whole nightmare to be over. He knew the police were looking for Angus, but he had heard nothing. If they didn’t find Angus soon, his own ass might be back on the chopping block.

Justin was off today, taking his mother and sister to see the Book of Kells. Someday he must go with Justin to see that ancient manuscript. It had to be impressive after all he had heard about it – something about illuminations and fine craftsmanship. He wondered how a copy of the Four Gospels from the Bible from so long ago could still attract so much attention. Justin loved the artwork. And age did mean something. Brian couldn’t help but hope that the visitors to the Book would say a little prayer there for the capture of one, Angus MacDougall.

His phone buzzed and he picked it up.

“Mr. Kinney,” came the receptionist’s voice over the phone, “there’s a call from a Jordan Palgrave. He says it’s important.”

Brian thought for a moment. Why did that name sound familiar? Then it hit him. “Put Mr. Palgrave through,” Brian said quickly. He sat up straight in his chair.

While he waited for the transfer of the call, Brian ran through his attempts to get in touch with said Jordan Palgrave. He had already left about five messages for the man. Brian had been trying to get his foot in the door at one of the biggest department stores in Europe. Jordan Palgrave was the communications VP at Silverstone Department Stores. Brian had heard some rumors that Silverstone wasn’t very happy with their current revenues and the general trend away from department stores. Since there was no hope of a new account from Thierry Desmarais, Brian had decided that it was worth some of his time to pursue Silverstone. Jordan Palgrave calling him was an unexpected, but welcome, turn of events.

“Mr. Kinney?” a male voice said.

“Yes, Mr. Palgrave, I’ve been trying to get in touch with you.”

“I know.”

Palgrave’s words hung in the air. Brian wasn’t sure what the man meant by that statement. He had a sudden sinking feeling that Mr. Palgrave didn’t like the phone calls that Brian had made. Maybe this call was to tell him not to harass the man further. “I’m glad you returned my call,” Brian replied as smoothly as he could. Never let them see or hear your worry. He hoped his pause hadn’t been so long as to tip off the executive about his concerns.

“Why were you calling me?” Palgrave asked.

“I think you already know, or you wouldn’t be talking to me now,” Brian responded. Two could play this game.

There was a pause for longer than the prescribed couple of seconds. “I hear you’re pretty good at advertising.”

“That would be correct.”

Palgrave chuckled. “I like a man with confidence.”

“So do I. I’m hoping we might develop a … working arrangement. You know, two confident men…” Brian let his words sit there.

“You’ve heard the rumors that Silverstone’s profits are down,” Palgrave admitted.

“Correct.”

“Why would I want to spend more on advertising in that case?”

“When revenues are dropping, a good ad campaign can reverse that trend.”

“Is that right?”

“I have some ideas I think you might be interested in.”

Palgrave must have been considering that statement as there was another long pause. Brian waited. “Bring those ideas to my office tomorrow morning at ten, and we’ll see what that might lead to,” Palgrave finally said.

“See you then,” Brian replied with a big smile. He set the phone back in the cradle.

Brian again leaned back in his chair, this time feeling much better about himself. A new contract of the magnitude of the Silverstone Department stores would put Triskele on the map, and it would mean financial security for Justin and him.

Brian flexed his sore hand, the one he had used to punch that little twerp at Primavera. It was healing, all scabbed over. He knew it would feel much better when Angus MacDougall was caught.

That was how Justin found him a little while later when he arrived with his mother and sister at the advertising office.

“You look very smug, Mr. Kinney,” Justin said as he approached the desk. He walked around behind it giving Brian a kiss on the lips.

“My, this is much more formal than I thought it would be,” Jennifer said looking at the fine mahogany furniture and leather chairs.

“That’s because we didn’t pick it out,” Brian replied. “All this belonged to Brendan, the man who owned the townhouse.” Jennifer nodded. She obviously saw the similarity between the décor of both places.

“We’d like something more modern,” Justin informed her, “but we can’t afford to change anything right now.”

“The furniture is lovely,” Jennifer said running her hand over the back of one of the leather chairs. “So soft.”

“You think we should keep it?” Justin asked.

“It certainly looks very professional,” Jennifer replied. She appeared to be enjoying the look of their office.

“We may make some changes in the future,” Brian said, knowing they wanted to present a more modern and with-it image, when new clients came to their offices. “But it’s good to know that it meets with your approval.”

Jennifer smiled at her almost son-in-law. Justin seemed pleased at how well they were getting along.

“What do you think, Miss Molly?” Brian asked.

“It’s nice,” Molly said slowly, “but it’s kind of old fashioned.”

Brian sucked in his lips and looked pleased with himself. Those were his sentiments exactly.

The phone took that moment to buzz.

“Yes?” Brian said as he picked it up. “Show them in.”

“What is it?” Justin asked. He had seen the look of concern pass over Brian’s face.

“The police are back,” Brian stated flatly. He could only wonder which way this would go.

Detective Weatherley and his partner entered the office. They looked at all the assembled people.

“I think this would best be done in private,” the detective said.

Brian felt his stomach lurch at those words. It sounded like bad news was coming. “Justin is my partner. I want him here.”

“Ladies?” the detective asked looking from Jennifer to Molly for an indication that they were ready to leave the office.

“I’m staying with my son … and his partner,” Jennifer said defiantly.

“Me too,” Molly added with her own set to her jaw.

“Very well,” Detective Weatherley conceded.

“Just tell us what’s happened,” Brian stated. He wanted this over with one way or the other. He felt Justin’s hand slide into his. The gentle squeeze from his partner lent much needed support to Brian, and he hardly felt his sore knuckles at all.

“We’ve caught Angus MacDougall,” Weatherley began.

“Did he confess?” Justin asked quickly, hoping against hope that the man had. He held his breath as he waited for the answer.

Weatherley shook his head. “No, he told the Edinburgh police that he didn’t know Thierry Desmarais, and that he had never been in that hotel suite.”

Brian felt his heart skip a beat. Angus was going to get away with this. “But we know he was at the hotel on the night that Thierry died,” Brian said. He didn’t feel very much hope that that would mean much. Everything was going south.

“Yes, we know that he was in the hotel, but we needed to prove that he was in Thierry’s suite.”

“And you can’t do that,” Brian said with a sigh.

For the first time Weatherley smiled. “Yes, we can,” he said.

Brian’s emotions soared. Could this possibly be true, or was it some kind of setup to trap him? “How?” Brian asked.

Weatherley let a little smile curl the corners of his mouth. “We found some red hairs in the bed clothes in Thierry Desmarais’ suite,” he said. “They belong to Angus MacDougall.”

“Fuck!” Brian reacted. He didn’t know what other word to use. That meant that Angus had been in the room, in the bed, with Thierry.

“What did this Angus say to that?” Jennifer asked triumphantly. She knew this meant that her son’s partner was going to be cleared. She was happy and relieved for Justin … and for Brian. She had begun to enjoy Brian’s company, especially after their chat in the library.

“He fell apart,” Weatherley stated. “He had to admit that he was in the hotel room. He said that he had sex with Desmarais, but the man was not particularly happy about the experience.”

“Not happy?” Brian asked with a smirk. Served that fucking Angus right.

“No, Desmarais apparently made some crack about how someone who had been forced to leave the quoin really knew how to please his customers, someone named Druid.” Weatherley looked at Brian who merely smirked. “After that they got into a bit of a shouting match. Desmarais ordered Angus out without paying him. That’s when a struggle over Desmarais’ wallet led to Angus punching the man and forcing him down onto the bed. According to Angus, he was only trying to shut Desmarais up when he started shouting for help. He said he inadvertently strangled him.”

“How do you inadvertently strangle someone?” Brian asked.

Weatherley shook his head. “I think that won’t be much of a defense.”

“It better not be,” Justin threw in.

“Anyway,” Weatherley said, “I thought you would like to know that we have our man, and the crime is solved.”

“Thanks, thank you,” Brian said stepping forward to shake the detective’s hand. “I appreciate you coming here to let us know.”

Weatherley nodded as he shook Brian’s hand. Then he turned and with a nod to the ladies, he left the office. His faithful and silent sidekick followed obediently.

“It’s all over,” Justin said launching himself into Brian’s arms. “You’re free and clear.”

“I was beginning to think I might never hear those words,” Brian admitted as he kissed Justin on the lips.

“I knew it all the time,” Molly averred. “You wouldn’t hurt anyone.”

“Thank you for that vote of confidence, Miss Molly,” Brian said with a smile at the girl. “I wouldn’t have been able to get through this without support from … all of you.”

“I’m so happy our support wasn’t misplaced,” Jennifer said with a warm smile.

“Are you done for the day?” Justin asked Brian. “I think we need to go out for a great dinner and a bottle of champagne to celebrate.”

“I knew I kept you around for a reason,” Brian said. “You have the best ideas.”

“You bet your ass I do.”

With arms around each other Brian and Justin headed for the car, followed by Jennifer and Molly who were basking in the happiness of the two men.



*****



“This is where most of my classes are held,” Justin said as he ushered his mother, Molly and Brian into the work area at the art school.

“I can’t wait to see this painting,” Jennifer said.

“I think it’s finally finished,” Justin said.

“Hi, Justin,” a voice said from across the space. Maria stepped out from behind her easel.

“I didn’t know you were here,” Justin said with a big smile for his friend. “Come over here and meet my mom, my sister and Brian.”

Maria came across the room and shook hands with them all while Justin made sure they all knew a little bit about Maria.

“So you’re the infamous Brian,” Maria said shyly when Brian shook her hand.

“That would be me.” Brian gave her his best smile, the one that melted everyone male or female, well everyone except Jennifer Taylor in the beginning.

“You’re almost as good looking in person as Justin paints you in his pictures,” Maria added then blushed at her boldness.

“I like to think I live up to Justin’s vision of me.” Brian didn’t smirk when he said that. Surprising even himself, he found that he meant every word.

“Maria, can we see your painting?” Justin asked.

“Um … I guess so.”

“Maria is so talented,” Justin gushed as they crossed the room to view Maria’s painting of Down the Drain. She explained her concept and how she was kind of pleased with the way it had turned out.

Jennifer was very impressed. Molly gushed as she spotted the little flowers, people and scenes hidden in the blotches of paint as they were about to go down the drain. Brian studied the painting carefully.

“That is very clever … unique. Well done, young lady,” he said.

“Thanks,” Maria said with a warm smile. “He’s definitely a keeper,” she whispered to Justin.

“I agree,” Justin replied. “Anybody interested in my painting?”

“Of course, honey,” Jennifer said. “That’s why we came.”

The group moved over to Justin’s slot where he extracted his finished painting and set it up on an easel. “I call it Examining the Empty Spaces,” Justin informed them. They had already been told about the premise of the paintings while they were looking at Maria’s.

“Justin’s work is so good,” Maria said looking at Justin with admiration.

“Yours is pretty good too,” Brian reminded her. “But I think Justin’s is better because I’m in the painting,” Brian stated smugly.

“You are so conceited,” Justin said swatting his lover.

“That is so good, Jester,” Molly said as she studied each of the sections of the painting. “Cool!”

“Thanks, Mollusk,” Justin beamed.

“I think it’s quite wonderful,” Jennifer stated giving her son a hug. “You are so talented, both of you.”

“Thanks, Mrs. Taylor,” Maria said.

“We better get going,” Justin said. “We’re going to dinner.”

“Would you like to join us?” Brian offered.

“Oh, I couldn’t,” Maria replied. “I’m not dressed.”

“We’re not going anywhere too fancy, but you might want to lose the paint covered smock.”

“Yeah, come with us, Maria,” Justin asked.

“Well…”

“Please?” Molly added. “I love your painting.”

“Okay,” Maria agreed as she put her painting away, as did Justin. She took off her smock and grabbed her bag.

They headed out to have a convivial dinner and enjoy the camaraderie.



*****



It had been a few days since Molly and Jennifer had flown back to the States.

Brian and Justin were lying in their bed on a lazy Sunday morning. They had just had a rather vigorous wake up call that had greatly satisfied both of them. Now they were recuperating and trying to decide if the need for food was worth the effort of getting up.

“I miss Mom and Molly,” Justin said after a long pause.

“I kind of miss them too,” Brian admitted with his crooked little smile.

“You and Mom really hit it off,” Justin observed, “after that time you spent with her in the library. What did you tell her that turned her around?”

“That’s one of my many secrets,” Brian said smugly.

“You’re not supposed to have secrets from your partner.”

“I thought you were my lover.”

“And it’s okay to have secrets from your lover?” Justin asked indignantly.

Brian nodded and waited for the reaction. Justin pounced on him, kissing him mercilessly.

“Okay, okay,” Brian agreed, “no secrets from lovers or partners.”

“I think you better change that to the singular,” Justin warned as he lay atop Brian.

“No secrets from my lover and partner,” Brian said contritely.

“Much better,” Justin agreed with one of his sunshine smiles. “So, what did you tell her … after you got her drunk?”

Brian chuckled. “That was a stroke of genius, wasn’t it?” Justin gave him a gentle swat. “Well,” Brian said slowly, “I knew she was a mother…”

“Yes, and…?”

“I played the poor little boy card.”

“You didn’t!”

“For you I would do anything,” Brian declared.

Justin’s eyes were wide as he studied Brian’s face. He knew how traumatic and terrible the story of Brian’s youth was, especially for Brian. It had taken a lot for Brian to tell him. He couldn’t imagine how hard it would be for Brian to tell his mother about how Quinn found him on the streets, and how his early adolescent years had been spent.

“You did that for me!”

“I had to win her over somehow,” Brian said making a face. “I … didn’t much like the idea of you going back to the States with her.”

“I’ll never leave you.”

“She was pretty convincing about how she would get you to do just that,” Brian explained.

“So you played your trump card.”

“Such as it is.”

“And she turned to the dark side as a result,” Justin quipped.

“Not exactly.”

“There’s more?”

“She still threatened to take you back to the States with her, even though I knew she had softened a little bit … after my tale of woe.”

“So what did you do?”

“I told her that if you went back to the States, I was coming with you.”

“You didn’t!” Justin reacted, a big grin spreading across his beautiful face.

“I did,” Brian replied firmly. “I told her I’d sell up here and move to Pittsburgh. You’re my partner and she couldn’t get rid of me that easily.”

“I love you so much,” Justin gushed. His smile was beyond radiant.

“I love you right back,” Brian stated. “I couldn’t stand the thought that you might leave.”

“You don’t ever have to worry about that,” Justin told him emphatically.

“Yeah, but if I was sent to jail as a murderer, who would run Triskele?” Brian asked his tongue in his cheek.

“I could run it till you got out.”

“Could you now?”

“I knew you were innocent. It was all going to work out.”

“I wish I had half your optimism.”

“You can have half of everything I am and everything I have,” Justin declared.

A genuine smile slowly spread across Brian’s face. “You know, I don’t think I’m ready for food just yet. There’s another kind of sustenance I need.”

“Can you get it right here in bed?” Justin asked with a wicked grin.

“Definitely, if I have the cooperation of my lover and partner from whom I have no secrets.”

“You are getting so lucky, Mr. Kinney,” Justin said with a huge grin. He slid down Brian’s body to find the instrument of pleasure hiding under the sheets. It was going to be a glorious morning. It was going to be a glorious life … together



The End.
Thyme is the author of 54 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked Druid II also liked 272 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Druid Series. The previous story in the series is Druid.