- Text Size +

 

Druid II

Chapter 5


“You ready?” Justin asked.

“As ready as I’m likely to get,” Brian replied as he looked at his reflection in the mirror. Then he chuckled remembering they had had the same conversation that morning before leaving for the airport.

“I hope Mom and Molly are up for this party.”

Brian made a face. “I wouldn’t mind if they slept right through it.”

Justin chuckled. “You’re really petrified that my mother will find out the dirt on you.”

“There’s no dirt. It was my life … such as it is.”

“And I love you anyway, and because of it, and who you have become, and who…”

“Shut up,” Brian said as he pulled Justin into a passionate kiss.

“Stop,” Justin moaned. “Stop, please. Or we’ll be late for our own party.”

“It’s always good to make an entrance,” Brian informed him as he nibbled at that spot on Justin’s neck just below his ear, the spot that drove Justin wild.

“Brian, please.”

“Oh, fuck! Let’s go down and charm the pants off our guests,” Brian said smoothing his sweater and trousers.

“I think we’d all do well to keep our pants on for this party,” Justin warned him, trying to get control of himself.

They could hear the front doorbell ring at that moment.

“Looks like the first of our guests has arrived,” Brian said. “Let’s go, my little minx.”

“Minx?” Justin asked in horror. “You fucking better not call me that in front of my mother.”

Brian stuck his tongue in his cheek and looked like he might say anything at any time to anyone just to cause trouble.

“Brian,” Justin said ominously, but Brian Kinney had left the room.

“Pats!” Brian said as he came down the stairs. Mrs. Hopkins had let their first guests in. Brian couldn’t stop the smile that spread across his face. His almost sister always had that effect on him.

“If it isn’t my profligate brother,” Pats teased with a lilting laugh. Her arms went around Brian pulling him close and holding on. “I’ve missed you,” she whispered against his shoulder.

“Me too,” Brian admitted.

“Uncle Bri, Uncle Bri!” a little voice called. Little Mick struggled to get out of his father’s arms. As soon as Mick set him down, the little boy ran to his uncle, his arms up in the air to be picked up.

“Hey, little man,” Brian cooed against the baby’s face as he held the little body against him. “You’ve grown tons. And you didn’t call me Unc Bi. When did that happen?”

“I’m a big boy now,” little Mick declared. It had been several months since Brian had seen his ‘nephew’.

Brian chuckled, and then felt Justin’s hand on his shoulder as his partner had followed him down the stairs. “Do you remember Justin?” Brian asked Little Mick.

“Uncle Jus,” little Mick said reaching out for Justin to take him.

Justin gladly took the baby while Brian gave Pats another hug and shook hands with Big Mick, trying not to grimace when his sore knuckles were squeezed. The large, gentle man seemed really pleased to be in the home that Brian and Justin had inherited. He looked around, impressed with what he saw.

“Looks like you two are doing just foine,” Mick commented.

“I like to think we are,” Brian agreed.

“I hear the mother-in-law is here,” Mick added.

“Yeah, I guess you could call her that.”

“But she might not like it?”

Brian shook his head. He wanted Jennifer Taylor to like him, but that seemed like a near impossibility, given his past and the fact that he had kept Justin in Ireland so far away from her.

“Are ye going to be giving me a welcome?” a voice asked from behind Brian.

“Maggie!” Brian said turning and giving her a big hug. “I’d never overlook you.”

“That’s what you tell all the girls … and guys,” she added with a mischievous grin.

“Only you, darlin’.”

“Ye be the biggest liar,” Maggie laughed, but Brian knew she didn’t really mean it.

“Never,” Brian protested.

“What’s this about a mother-in-law?”

“Justin’s mother and sister are here for a visit,” Brian said carefully. “Jennifer is a cousin of Pats’ – you know, one of those third cousin five times removed things.”

“Ah, close relatives here in Ireland,” Maggie chuckled. “So when do we get to meet her?”

“She and Molly are resting after their trip. They should be down soon.”

“Or maybe they’ll sleep right through the party,” Maggie said.

“I should be so lucky,” Brian muttered causing a raised eyebrow from Maggie who noted with the wisdom of her many years working with Brian at the quoin that the man did not seem thrilled about Jennifer Taylor attending his party. “I’m sure Justin will wake them if they don’t come down soon.”

“I’d love to meet them,” Maggie said genuinely, but her eyes studied Brian’s face looking for what was troubling him. It was deep inside, she noted to herself. She couldn’t begin to figure out what was wrong, but something definitely was.

“I thought you might enjoy some hors d’oeuvres in the library,” Mrs. Hopkins said as she reappeared bearing a tray of canapés. Brian quickly introduced their housekeeper to the new guests. They all followed her to the library where Justin offered to bartend.

“Very impressive,” Big Mick said as he scanned the walls of books. “Have ye read them all?”

“Not bloody likely,” Pats said. “My darling Brian is setting up his company and finding out what it’s like to be in a relationship. I doubt he has time for reading.”

“Too true,” Brian agreed with a fond look at his ‘sister’.

“But in the future…” Pats said giving Brian a look.

“I will be working to improve myself,” Brian said right on cue.

“He doesn’t need any improving,” Justin informed them with a happy smile.

“Everyone needs improving,” Brian said philosophically. “We don’t want to stagnate.”

“Never stagnate,” Maggie said with a giggle as she took a sip of her beer. “Is this foreign beer?” she asked.

“I’m afraid it is,” Brian told her. “We don’t have you here to pull pints for us, so we’ve taken to some of the foreign brands.”

“Scandalous,” Maggie said, but it didn’t stop her from taking another mouthful.

“I guess it’s not so bad,” Brian said with a smile as he watched her. Justin handed him a scotch. He raised his glass to his partner just as Jennifer Taylor walked through the doors of the library.

“Hello everyone,” she said with a broad smile. “I’m sorry we overslept. I’m Jennifer, Justin’s mother, and this is Molly, Justin’s sister.” Jennifer pulled Molly from behind her where Molly had tried to be invisible.

“Jennifer, I’m Pats, your long lost cousin,” Pats said stepping forward and hugging Jennifer.

“It’s so good to finally meet you,” Jennifer said. “Thank you for allowing Justin to come to Ireland and live with you.”

Pats smiled. “You’re most welcome.” Somehow she felt she should be apologizing for allowing Justin to stay with her, and as a result to find Brian and change his whole life. Pats could sense that Jennifer Taylor didn’t exactly approve of what Justin’s life had become. “This is my husband Mick,” she added introducing her spouse. “And this little piglet is Little Mick, our son.”

“I’m not a piglet,” Little Mick replied indignantly. That didn’t stop him from stuffing another cheese and shrimp cracker in his mouth.

“Take it easy with those, buddy boy,” Big Mick cautioned as he scooped his son up into his arms. “Say hello to the lady.”

“Hello,” Little Mick said obediently.

“He’s just adorable, Pats,” Jennifer gushed.

“Thanks, we kinda like him.”

“Would you like a glass of wine, Mom?” Justin asked.

“Oh yes, that would be lovely,” Jennifer said. Meeting a roomful of new people was rather stressful. Wine would take the edge off and help her relax.

“What would you like, Molly?” Justin asked as he handed his mother a glass of red wine.

“Wine,” she said.

Brian chuckled at her answer, earning him a big smile from Molly. “I think perhaps an orange soda might be more suitable,” Brian suggested.

“I’d rather have wine,” Molly insisted, “but soda will do.”

“Good choice,” Brian replied handing her the glass of soda that Justin had poured.

“Orange,” Little Mick said reaching for the glass as it passed by.

“Is it okay?” Justin asked Pats.

“Sure, but pour him a little one. He doesn’t need all that sugar.”

“Sugar’s great,” Molly said with a mischievous smile. She seemed to have relaxed since her reluctant entrance.

“Jennifer, you haven’t met my old friend Maggie,” Brian said.

Maggie had been sitting on a leather chair watching the interchanges that were taking place. “Who’re you calling old, young man?” she demanded.

“Never you, sweetness,” Brian retorted earning a guffaw from Maggie.

“You always were the charmer,” she said.

“How do you know Brian?” Jennifer asked as she moved closer to Maggie.

“You think I’m too old for him?” Maggie questioned, her blue eyes twinkling with mischief.

“I…”

“Maggie,” Brian warned in an ominous voice.

“Okay, okay,” Maggie gave in. “I’ve known Brian for almost fifteen years,” she began. “I used to clean for him. Now my husband and I run a pub in Cork.”

“Oh, you worked for Brian’s family?”

Everyone, except Jennifer and Molly, seemed to be holding their breath as they waited for Maggie’s answer.

“You could say that,” Maggie replied and left it at that.

Jennifer was clearly curious as to why the cleaning lady had been invited to this party. She was forming her next question when the doorbell rang.

“That must be Quinn,” Brian said moving towards the doors of the library as Mrs. Hopkins ushered in a good looking middle aged man. “Glad you could make it,” Brian said giving Quinn a hug. Brian began the introductions, calling Quinn an old and valued friend. “And this is Justin’s mother, Jennifer Taylor,” Brian said as they came to Jennifer who was sitting on the sofa.

“A pleasure ta meet ya, lovely lady,” Quinn said bowing his head and smiling.

Brian smirked. Apparently Justin’s mother was still very much alive if the blush on her face meant anything.

“Hello, Mr. O’Donnell,” Jennifer said with that Taylor smile. “I see you’re quite the sweet talker.”

“Only to beautiful women,” Quinn replied with a big smile.

“I’ll get you a Guinness,” Brian said knowing Quinn’s preference in drinks.

“Thanks,” Quinn said. “And how can you possibly be the mother of that ancient wreck over there?” he asked glancing over at Justin.

“He’s still a teenager,” Jennifer laughed.

“Seems like a much older soul to me.”

“Yes,” Jennifer said slowly, “he always has been.”

“Are you enjoying your stay in Ireland?” Quinn asked Jennifer, as Brian handed him a glass of Guinness.

“I’ve only been here for a few hours, and I slept through most of that,” Jennifer laughed.

“You arrived today?”

“Yes, this morning – flew all night.”

“I see,” Quinn said. “I hope this little get together isn’t too much for you.”

“Molly and I had some time to rest this afternoon, so I think we’re fine.”

“That’s good.

“How do you know Brian?” Jennifer asked. She sipped her wine while she waited for Quinn to answer.

“I met Brian when he was just a boy.”

“Oh? You knew his family.”

“I knew of his family.”

“That sounds rather mysterious.”

“Dinner is served,” Mrs. Hopkins said from the doorway.

That announcement effectively cut off Quinn’s answer. He offered Jennifer his arm as the guests all made their way to the formal dining room.

Mrs. Hopkins had really decked the place out in all its finery. She had used the best linen and china. The table sparkled with crystal glasses and silver serving dishes. Even Brian and Justin felt their breath catch in their throats. They knew Brendan had had good taste but the table, the whole room, looked quite exquisite.

It seemed like everyone else thought so too, as they all told Mrs. Hopkins how lovely everything looked.

The housekeeper beamed with pride before telling them to please find their seats. She had used place cards set in little silver holders to indicate where each guest should sit. Brian and Justin occupied the two ends of the long table.

“I’m afraid Little Mick will break something,” Pats said with a worried look on her face, as she sat her son in the booster seat beside her.

“I have some plastic dishes for the wee lad,” Mrs. Hopkins informed her. “He won’t be any problem at all.”

With that, dinner commenced. Mrs. Hopkins served her delicious soup first. She had even filled one of Little Mick’s sippy cups with warm soup. The little boy sucked happily on the soup along with all the adults.

The rest of the dinner was very well received too. Everyone enjoyed the wine that Brian kept flowing freely. The food was excellent and all the guests shared stories and jokes. It was a very successful evening as far as the hosts were concerned. No one mentioned Brian’s former profession.

Brian watched the interaction between his friends. They had made Jennifer and Molly feel welcome and comfortable. For that he was very grateful. He watched Quinn’s attentions to Justin’s mother. If he didn’t know better, he would think Quinn was smitten with the woman. Not that Jennifer Taylor wasn’t an attractive woman, she was – very attractive. But Quinn had never shown any interest in a woman in all the time Brian had known him. He hadn’t shown much interest in men either, as far as Brian knew. His love life, if there was such a thing, had always been very private. Brian had merely assumed Quinn was gay, since he ran a quoin.

So far no one had mentioned what Brian used to do as his job before he got into advertising. He was hoping that might continue to be the case. As Mrs. Hopkins cleared the main course, she leaned down to whisper to Brian.

“May I suggest that you have coffee, tea and dessert in the library,” she said.

“That sounds like a fine idea,” Brian agreed. “And you’ve done a … wonderful job with everything tonight. I couldn’t have asked for it to be any better.”

“It was my pleasure,” she said with a smile as she picked up his plate and removed it from the table.

Brian stood. “If everyone has a wee drop left in their glass,” he said, “I would like to propose a toast to Mrs. Hopkins for this fine meal that she has provided us this evening.”

Amid choruses of “Hear! Hear!” everyone toasted the woman who blushed with pleasure at the recognition given her.

“That same lady has suggested that we take ourselves over to the library where she promises us some excellent tea and coffee and a fine dessert,” Brian explained.

“Sounds great,” Mick said. “I need some exercise after all I’ve ate.” He stood up.

“The walk from here to the library hardly qualifies as exercise,” Pats told him in no uncertain terms. The other guests laughed.

“It’s better than nothing,” Mick joked. “If I had dessert here, and it was half as good as the rest of this meal, you’d need a crane to get me off my chair.”

Laughing and joking they all made their way to the library. Mrs. Hopkins gave them a little time to digest while she made the coffee and laid out the desserts on the tea cart. When everything was ready she rolled the cart into the library.

Justin helped serve the desserts while Mrs. Hopkins poured tea or coffee as each guest preferred. Soon they were all seated enjoying the chocolate cake that was the dessert of the evening. Little Mick had chocolate all over his face, and was extremely happy by the looks of him. All the other guests seemed to be just as pleased and relaxed.

Justin walked over to Brian with a piece of cake. Brian shook his head.

“We could share,” Justin suggested.

“Maybe one bite,” Brian conceded. He let Justin feed him a forkful of the chocolate cake. “It really is very good.”

“It’s delicious,” Justin corrected. “And this evening has gone better than I ever could have dreamed.”

Brian nodded in agreement. It had been a good party.  They smiled as they looked around at their friends enjoying themselves. Life was good.

At that moment the friendly chatter was interrupted by the doorbell ringing. Brian frowned wondering who it could be, but he walked into the front hall waving Mrs. Hopkins back to the kitchen, where she had gone once she had poured the tea and coffee. He knew she would be busy cleaning up. Just then Pats went up the stairs with a sleepy Little Mick resting against her shoulder. She gave Brian a little smile as he opened the front door.

“Mr. Brian Kinney?” a middle aged man asked. He was accompanied by a younger man who stood behind him.

“That would be me,” Brian replied.

“I’m Detective James Weatherley, Dublin police force. I’m here to ask you some questions regarding the murder of Thierry Desmarais.”