- Text Size +

 

Druid II

Chapter 9


“Who is this man?” Weatherley asked. This was an unexpected turn of events.

“He’s someone I used to work with at the quoin. He enjoyed taunting me. I hated his fucking guts.”

“Is that right? And he hated yours undoubtedly.”

“Exactly.”

“What would he be doing at Desmarais’ hotel?”

“Good question,” Brian said thinking about all the possible scenarios that might cause this man to be at Thierry’s hotel … and on the same night that Brian was there and Thierry was murdered.

“He’s a hustler?”

“Anyone who works at the quoin does not think of themselves as a hustler. He’s a high class pro.”

“Be that as it may, I want his name. How do we find him?”

“His name is Rob Roy at the quoin.” Weatherley raised an eyebrow at the choice of name. “His real name is Angus … Angus MacDougall, I think.”

“Scottish.”

“Oh yeah! Never lets you forget it either.”

“Is he still at the quoin?”

“I would imagine he would be. He couldn’t wait to take over from me as top dog.”

“Didn’t that guest at your home say he was the owner of the quoin?” Weatherley asked.

“Yes, Quinn.”

“Is he back at this quoin?”

“Yes. I could call him,” Brian volunteered.

“Do it,” Weatherley commanded. This wasn’t exactly police procedure, but he had a gut feeling.

Brian pulled out his cell phone and hit Quinn’s number. “Quinn? I have something important to ask you,” Brian said.  He had no time for niceties.  He got right to the point.

“Sure, what is it? How did the party go after we left?” Quinn asked.

“Never mind the fucking party. I need to know about Angus.”

“What about Angus?” Quinn asked. “I never thought I’d hear you inquiring after Angus’ health.”

“I don’t give a fuck about his health,” Brian retorted. “If he had the black plague, that would be too good for him.”

“So, what do you need to know about him?”

“Is he at the quoin?”

“No, he fucking isn’t!” Quinn responded with anger in his voice. “He had a couple days off, but the asshole never came back. His clients are all over me. I’m going to rip him a new one when he does return.”

Brian put his hand over the mouthpiece of the phone. “He’s disappeared,” Brian whispered rather triumphantly to Weatherley. “Thanks, Quinn,” Brian added. “I think Detective Weatherley wants to talk to you.” Brian handed the phone to the detective.

Drawing in a deep breath, Brian sat back and listened to Weatherley’s side of the conversation, as he asked about Angus’ habits and where he came from in Scotland. For the first time since the police had come to his door, Brian felt hopeful that this might all be over soon.



*****



“Brian!” Justin cried when the front door opened. Brian closed the door behind him and found his arms full of his beautiful blond. “Brian,” Justin whispered again. His voice was husky with love and worry. “I was so scared.”

“That makes two of us,” Brian said looking into Justin’s blue eyes.

“Are you okay?”

“Pretty good,” Brian said smugly.

“What happened?”

“It’s kind of a long story.”

“And we all want to hear it,” Pats said coming out of the library where they all had been waiting for Brian’s return.

“You’re still here?” Brian asked.

“We couldn’t leave until we knew what happened.”

“I‘m glad you’re here.”

“Me too, Uncle Bri,” Little Mick said as he toddled out to his uncle. Brian scooped him up and kissed his cheek. Brian looked at the entrance to the library where Big Mick was standing.  A couple of people were conspicuous by their absence.

“Your mother left, didn’t she?” Brian said sadly to Justin.

“I most certainly did not,” Jennifer Taylor stated coming out of the dining room. “I was in the kitchen getting some snacks.”

Brian smiled. His worst fear had been that when the police took him to the station Jennifer and Molly would fly back to the States … and take Justin with them. Apparently none of that had happened.

“I … I’m pleased you’re still here,” Brian conceded.

“Where else would I be?” The tiny smile that lifted the corners of Jennifer’s pretty mouth meant the world to Brian.

“I could use a drink,” Brian said, “and then I’ll tell you all about my excellent adventures with the gendarmes.”

“Justin, does he always talk like that?” Molly asked, earning laughs from all present, except Little Mick who looked quite content to just stay in Brian’s arms.

“Yeah, sometimes he’s very full of himself,” Justin joked.

“And sometimes you’re very full of me,” Brian whispered leaning down so his mouth was wickedly close to Justin’s ear, while they all headed for the library and the aforementioned drink.

Justin felt his dick jump at the warmth of Brian’s breath on his ear, and the double entendre wasn’t wasted either. “Behave yourself,” Justin said softly. “You’re already in enough trouble.”

“I’m thinking my trouble is almost over,” Brian said.

When everyone had a drink in their hand and snacks on their plate, Brian began his tale of what happened at the police station. Everyone listened intently until Brian got to the name of the current suspect in Thierry Desmarais’ murder.

“That ass always was after your position at the quoin,” Pats declared. She had heard many complaints about Angus’ supercilious attitude when Brian was trying to figure out whether he would leave the quoin or not.

“And you know this how?” Mick asked with a strange look on his face.

“Brian told me that many times when he visited our home,” she clarified.

“He’s a rather nasty piece of work,” Brian informed them. “There was almost no humanity in him.”

“Sounds like an awful man,” Jennifer said.

“I guess he proved that once and for all if the description of Thierry’s death is any indication,” Brian observed.

“Dare we ask what he did to the poor man?” Pats asked.

“Let’s just say it wasn’t pretty,” Brian replied, well aware that there were children in the room. “The police call it a crime of passion.”

“So, they don’t think you murdered this man?” Pats asked.

“Guess I’m not passionate enough for such a crime,” Brian said sticking his tongue in his cheek.

“You’re plenty passionate enough for me,” Justin declared.

Brian smiled at his lover. It was good to be home.

“Are the police hunting for Angus now?” Mick asked.

Brian nodded. “He didn’t return to the quoin, so the police think he might have headed for Scotland. They’re in touch with the police there.”

“I hope they catch him soon,” Jennifer said.

“Me too,” Molly added.

“I wonder why he killed the man,” Mick speculated.

“Angus always was a hothead. I wouldn’t be surprised if Thierry said something about me that set him off.”

“Why would Thierry say something about you?” Justin asked.

“Because I was in Thierry’s room just before he was murdered,” Brian admitted.

“You didn’t go to Triskele from the club,” Justin said in a near whisper. His face registered the hurt he was feeling at that revelation.

Brian looked away. “Thierry called me at Primavera. He wanted to meet with me at his hotel. He said it could be the difference between getting his account and not getting it,” Brian explained.

“And you didn’t feel you could tell me that,” Justin accused.

“I didn’t want to upset you. I know how you felt about old … clients.”

“Yeah, and I guess this proves I was right.”

Brian had no answer for that, so he remained silent.

“You think Thierry might have told Angus you were there before him?” Pats asked.

Brian nodded. “Thierry was angry that we … couldn’t be together. I could see him taunting Angus with the fact that I had first refusal.”

“You think that would set Angus off?” Justin asked surprised at that revelation on Brian’s part. “And you did refuse, right?” Justin felt compelled to ask.

Brian nodded then he said, “If Thierry said something about Angus not measuring up … if you know what I mean.” Brian looked at the adults and nodded to the children not wanting to expand on that statement. “That would have sent Angus round the bend.”

“He was that competitive with you?” Pats asked.

“Definitely. He couldn’t wait for me to be out of the quoin, so he could claim top spot. He wouldn’t allow anything … or anyone to interfere with that position. He wanted to be number one,” Brian explained.

Mrs. Hopkins appeared at the door of the library. “I’ve made a light supper for you. I hope you’ll enjoy it. And it’s nice to have you home, Mr. Kinney.”

“Thank you, Mrs. Hopkins,” Brian replied. “I’m sure the supper will be delicious. And it’s very good to be home.” He looked at Justin for forgiveness for not telling him about his midnight trip to Thierry’s hotel room. Justin merely nodded that he understood.

With a nod of her head the housekeeper disappeared.

“We better go enjoy the food while it’s hot … or cold … or whatever it is,” Justin said.

They all made their way back to the dining room.

“We’ll have a wee bite to eat, but then we must be getting home,” Pats said as she filled her plate from the buffet that Mrs. Hopkins had laid out on the sideboard.

“Do you have to go?” Brian asked. He was getting used to having her around.

“Mick has work tomorrow. We need to be on our way.”

“Okay,” Brian said reluctantly. “I’ll miss having you about.”

“Underfoot, you mean,” Pats laughed as Little Mick was clinging to Brian’s leg.

“I could get used to it,” Brian replied with genuine affection as he lifted Little Mick into his arms and fed him a piece of chicken.

Pats smiled affectionately at Brian. “I’ll miss you too.”

“Do you have to go back to the police station or are you free and clear?” Jennifer asked.

“His name has been cleared,” Pats said emphatically.

“It’s not cleared yet,” Brian replied. “They have to catch Angus. Hopefully he’ll confess.”

“From what you’ve told me about this Angus, I can’t see him confessing to anything,” Pats stated.

Brian frowned at that thought. She was probably right. The police would have to prove that Angus was in Thierry’s room. All they knew at the moment was that Angus was at the hotel shortly after Brian was there. Brian felt some of his confidence and high hopes slip back a notch or two.



*****



“I’m really glad Mick and Pats were able to stay until you got home,” Justin said as they closed the door behind Brian’s old friend and almost sister.

“I guess they were worried.”

“More than worried. We all were.”

“Even your mother and sister?” Brian asked. Jennifer and Molly had decided to turn in early since jet lag was still affecting them.

“Mom is very supportive of you, and she was worried. I think she was scared they might not let you come home.”

“It certainly wasn’t a barrel of laughs at the police station,” Brian admitted. “I wasn’t at all sure they weren’t going to lock me up. But then Detective Weatherley started to see things my way after…”

“After what?”

“After I told him the truth.”

“Why did you lie about going to see Thierry?” Justin asked as Brian poured them each a brandy and they sat down in front of the fireplace.

“I knew you’d be upset if I said I was going to see Thierry.”

“Then why go?”

“He said it meant the contract with his company if I came,” Brian explained. He realized his words sounded pretty hollow.

“We don’t need his contract,” Justin said shaking his head slowly.

“I know, but it would have been a nice chunk of extra change for us.”

“Money has never been your first priority, Brian,” Justin reminded him. “We’re doing okay.”

“We are, but I would like Triskele to be great. This would have been our first international contract.”

“Yeah, it would, but now…”

“We go after some other company,” Brian stated finishing Justin’s sentence.

Justin looked thoughtful for a moment. “A part of you wanted to meet with Thierry, didn’t it?”

Brian sucked his lips in and looked like he might refuse to answer. Then he changed his mind and decided to tell Justin the truth. “I first met Thierry when I was contemplating life after the quoin. It looked pretty dismal. Of course that was before I met you.” Justin smiled at that admission. “He went to bat for me, trying to get Quinn to let me stay. And Thierry was an old friend of Brendan’s. I thought I should meet with him when he called.”

“And you wanted to see him again,” Justin repeated.

Brian stared into the pale blue eyes. “I wanted to see him,” Brian finally admitted. “I guess I wanted to know if he still found me attractive, if he still wanted me the way he had that night.”

“Brian…”

“Don’t say it,” Brian ordered raising his hand to stop Justin from speaking further. “I know you love me, and I know I’m attractive…”

“And successful and sexy and…”

“Arrogant,” Brian supplied. “But I made my living from selling my body for many years. It’s hard to think of myself as something other than that. I just wanted…”

“To prove that the past was still possible,” Justin supplied. Brian nodded. “I have a strange, and uncomfortable, feeling that you’ll always be able to have any man that you want,” Justin explained.

“And that’s a bad thing, how…?” Brian asked tongue in cheek.

“You know I have at least one jealous bone in my body.”

“More than one, I’d guess,” Brian said with a chuckle.

“Come to bed,” Justin ordered standing up. “I want you to prove to me how much you love me, and that I have absolutely nothing to worry about where jealousy is concerned.”

Brian smiled as he took Justin’s hand. “You don’t have anything to worry about, you know,” Brian whispered as they went up the stairs.

“I require proof,” Justin said with a grin.

“Scoundrel,” Brian laughed. He pulled on Justin’s hand as they ran to their bedroom.

Brian yanked Justin inside, closing the door without slamming it. They didn’t want to wake Jennifer or Molly. Brian turned the lock just to be on the safe side. With that taken care of, he grabbed Justin and pinned him against the door.

“I’ve been wanting to do this ever since they let me go,” Brian said his breath hot against Justin’s ear. His tongue flicked out probing into the orifice, making Justin gasp as Brian licked the sensitive edges of his ear.

“Brian,” Justin whispered.

Brian’s lips crushed Justin’s forcing his head back against the door as Brian’s pressure forced Justin’s mouth open. The hot, wet tongue felt like fire as it probed and explored. The kiss went on and on, leaving them both gasping when Brian finally ended it.

With expert fingers Brian quickly disrobed his younger lover, rubbing his hands over the exposed skin. Brian relished the soft yet firm body that his lover possessed. He skimmed his hands along Justin’s torso, before his tongue began to lick and delve into every sensitive spot that Brian knew drove Justin wild. Justin thrashed against the door where Brian kept him pinned. He grabbed at Brian’s hair as Brian leaned down to capture a nipple in his warm mouth. He sucked and pulled nipping at the sensitive tip. Justin cried out, but held the back of Brian’s head wanting more of the same.

Brian’s hands snaked around the back of Justin. He lifted the young man pressing him against his own long, lean body. His lips captured Justin’s once again, and then, held like that, Brian carried his lover to their bed. He pulled down Justin’s trousers, whipping off his shoes as he did so. With one finger against Justin’s chest he pushed him back onto the bed. As Justin fell against the soft sheets, his eyes never left Brian’s. Brian’s hands were already busy getting rid of his own clothes, until naked he lay atop the slender body that he had learned to love so much.

“I’m going to fuck you so hard…” Brian threatened.

“Do it!” Justin commanded. He could feel Brian’s hard member pressing against him.

Brian quickly rolled on a condom and grabbed the lube from the bedside table. He pressed into the tight, hot hole relishing every inch that Justin took of him. Soon they were joined as one. Justin lay still looking into hazel eyes that were filled with heat and tenderness and want and … love.

“I love you so much,” Justin whispered. “I was so scared when the police took you away.”

“I’ll always come back to you,” Brian promised, as his body started to move in and out of Justin’s. The speed and intensity varied as they coupled, but the love shone through it all.

Upon completion Brian rolled away and stripped off his condom. Justin snuggled against him and let out a contented sigh.

“I couldn’t live without you,” Justin said against Brian’s chest. “You’ve ruined any other life for me.”

“Then we better stick together, because I don’t think I could exist without you,” Brian admitted.

“I hope they can establish that Angus is the murderer,” Justin said with a yawn. “I want all that to be over with.”

“That makes two of us,” Brian added as they drifted off to sleep.