- Text Size +

 

Snow and Shadow
Chapter 4



The next day the trio spent the morning at the closest ski resort.  They rented equipment for each of them, and the guys took lessons when Gus did.  There were lots of falls and laughter and a few successful runs down the hills.  Nobody broke anything or did serious damage to any body parts.

By the early part of the afternoon they were all getting tired.  They decided that discretion was the better part of valor, and that turning in their rental equipment made more sense than risking life and limb by pushing for one too many runs.

They sat in the restaurant at the resort for awhile, had a late lunch and a couple of drinks.  Gus really approved of their chocolate milk.  They were all hungry from their workout on the slopes. Soon it was time to go home, back to the chalet.

Gus was getting worried that Shadow had been alone too long at the chalet.  They had closed the kitten up in the front entrance to the chalet where it was warm, but restricted access to the rest of the house.  They didn’t want her getting into any trouble while they were gone.

As they pulled up to the chalet, Gus was out of his booster seat and at the front door before either Justin or Brian were able to undo their seatbelts.

“Easy, Sonny Boy,” Brian said as Gus was dancing with anticipation of seeing the kitten once again.  Justin unlocked the door as quickly as he could.

Brian almost wished that the kitten had disappeared back into the snow, much like it had arrived.  He knew it was going to be very hard to tear Gus away from her when it was time to leave.  He heard Gus call the kitten’s name, and for a split second he thought his wish had come true.  Then they heard a tiny meow.

“There you are,” Gus said.  He scooped Shadow up from the pile of Gus’ dirty clothes they had laid down on the floor for her.

Brian felt himself let out a breath of relief.  He was getting attached to that damn cat too.
“Time for a nap, Sonny Boy,” Brian said.

“I’m not tired, Daddy,” Gus protested.

“Well, I am,” Brian said decisively.

“Can Shadow come with me?” Gus asked.

“I thought that would be how it would shake down,” Brian agreed.
Gus and Shadow tromped up the stairs to the loft.  Brian and Justin headed for their bedroom.

“Did you want to … you know?” Justin asked with a grin and a waggle of his eyebrows.

“No,” was Brian’s curt reply.

“Is something wrong?”

“Not a thing,” Brian said as he flopped back onto the bed.

“Talk to me, Brian.”

“I … I hurt everywhere,” Brian admitted after a long pause.  “Every muscle is screaming at me.  Between the shoveling and the skiing [comma] I’m a mess.”

“Take off your clothes and I’ll give you a massage,” Justin said.

“You don’t have to.  I’ll be all right.”

“Do as you’re told.  I’m going to take care of my man.”  Justin disappeared into the bathroom.

While Justin was doing whatever in the bathroom, Brian sat up and started removing his clothes.  By the time he was naked Justin had returned with a bottle of something he had found.

“I saw this when we arrived.  It’s a scented oil,” Justin explained.  “Should do the trick.”

“Then, maybe I’ll be able to do the trick,” Brian mumbled as he lay down on his stomach and shoved the pillow under his chin.

Justin chuckled.  He had long since graduated from the designation of trick or stalker or fuckee.  He knew he was much more than any of those things to Brian, even though Brian didn’t often call him boyfriend or partner or lover.  He was all those things.  When they decided not to marry, things had been a little strained between them, but now that he was back in Pittsburgh, Justin knew that was where he wanted to be.  It was where Brian wanted him to be too.

Justin squirted some oil on Brian’s back.  He climbed onto the bed and straddled Brian’s hips.  He started a slow methodical massage of all the muscles in Brian’s shoulders and back.  After a bit he heard Brian let out a long sigh.

“Feeling better?” he asked.

“You have very talented … fingers.”
“Among other things,” Justin chuckled.

“Do you think Gus is going to be devastated when we have to leave Shadow here?” Brian asked after a pause.

“He’s not going to be happy,” Justin admitted.

“I wish there was something we could do.”

“I could check online and see what the regulations are about taking cats across the border,” Justin suggested.

“Even if we can, Gus’ mothers will have a fucking fit.”

“True.”

“So what are we going to do?”

Justin smiled to himself.  He liked being included in the decision making, especially when it involved Gus.  “Let me check what the regulations are first, and then we’ll deal with the moms if we have to.”

“’Kay,” Brian said sleepily, sounding a lot like Gus.

“Take a nap, big guy.  I’ll go check on the computer.”

Brian’s soft wheeze told Justin that he was already asleep.


*****


“Gus, are you going to be able to leave Shadow here when we go home tomorrow?” Brian asked as they sat around the table for dinner at the chalet.

Gus stared at his father.  He didn’t know how to answer that question.  He knew what he was supposed to say, but he couldn’t bring himself to say it.  “I don’t know, Daddy.  I love Shadow.”

“I know you do,” Brian said gently.  “What will your mothers say if we take him back with us?”

“Back?  Shadow can come with us?” Gus asked hopefully.

“I checked online, Gus,” Justin explained.  “There doesn’t seem to be much of a problem taking Shadow across the border since I doubt he’s three months old.”

“Really?” Gus asked his face alight with relief.
“But your mothers probably will have a fit if we bring a cat home with us,” Brian warned his son.

“They said I could get a pet,” Gus said.

“Are you sure about that?  When did they say you could?” Brian asked skeptically.

“I told them I wanted a dog, and they said I could get one soon.”

“But this is a cat.”

“I know, but it’s a pet,” Gus said.  “I want Shadow.”

“You’re telling the truth?” Brian asked sounding somewhat skeptical.

“It’s the truth, Daddy.  I don’t lie,” Gus said innocently.

Justin heard so much of Brian in Gus’ words.  Considering how much they had been apart, it was a wonder Gus would take on his father’s characteristics.  It was also a testament to the power and influence of Brian Kinney.  “Should we call Lindsay and Mel?” Justin asked Brian.

Brian thought for a minute.  “I think it would be lovely to surprise them, don’t you?” he asked with a grin.

“You are evil,” Justin chuckled.

“Yes I am.”

“And enjoying every minute of it,” Justin chuckled.

“Can we play some more games?” Gus asked as he finished cleaning his plate.

“I think that could be arranged,” Brian agreed.  “Do you want to go snowboarding tomorrow morning before we leave?” Brian asked.  “We missed a whole day because of the snowstorm.”

“Yes!” was the emphatic answer from both Gus and Justin.

“Then let’s get a couple games of Parcheesi in, and then we’ll hit the sack so we can get up early.”

Justin and Gus nodded enthusiastically.


*****


When Gus and Shadow were sound asleep, Brian decided they should call the owner of the kitten and make sure it was all right that they take her with them the next day.

Justin made the call, and quickly arranged everything.  Paul said he would bring them some more kitten food for the trip home.  They decided they would meet with him at the chalet around eleven the next morning, after snowboarding.  With that all settled, Brian decided it was time to take Justin to bed.

“Are you sure you’re up for this?” Justin asked as they undressed.  “I thought you were stiff.”

“I am,” Brian said looking down.

Justin chuckled.  “Stupid question!  You’re always up.”

“Your massage and that little nap fixed me right up.”

“No shit,” Justin laughed.

“No shit,” Brian echoed as he wrapped his arms around Justin and swung him off the floor.

“You so love me,” Justin said feeling his heart soar.  He loved a playful Brian.  “This has been the best vacation.”

“Even though it started with a snowstorm?”

“That got you to read Winnie the Pooh with all those maaarvelous voices.”

Brian made a face.  “That story does not leave Vermont.”

“Goes without saying,” Justin agreed with a knowing nod.  He knew when to keep his mouth shut.  As much as Brian’s friends would enjoy hearing about big, bad Brian reading Winnie the Pooh, the whole story meant too much to Justin for him to ruin it by telling those who would undoubtedly make fun of it.

Brian tumbled his lover back onto the bed.  He spread himself along Justin’s length.  “It has been a good vacation, hasn’t it?”

Justin nodded looking into Brian’s beautiful and expressive eyes.  He believed he could see joy there.  Joy at being with his son, at being with Justin and doing things they all enjoyed.

“I love you,” Justin whispered.

“I love you right back,” Brian said meaning every word, and finding it easier to say than he ever thought possible.

Justin grinned before pulling Brian’s head down for a hot and passionate kiss.  Justin’s tongue probed every part of Brian’s mouth, tasting all the familiar spots. Finally, breathless, Justin ended the kiss.

“I’m going to fuck you so hard,” Brian said with lust in his eyes.

“No you’re not,” Justin replied.

“What?”

“I said, you’re not.”

“But…”

“You’re going to make slow, passionate love to me for hours.  We’re both going to be so fucking hard we’ll be ready to explode.  But you’re not going to come until I tell you I’m ready.”

“Is that right?”

Justin nodded with a knowing smirk on his face.  Brian proceeded to fulfill everything that Justin had described.


*****


The next morning, they were up early and on the slopes.  They didn’t take more lessons this time, just enjoyed sliding down the easier hills on their rented snowboards.  Gus had quickly picked up the sport and wanted to know when they could go again.  Both men smiled at the boy’s enthusiasm, and mentally started calculating when they could get away again.

They returned to the chalet and quickly packed their clothes, then loaded the suitcases into the car.  Paul arrived with cat food and a letter from the local vet who had checked out the kittens when they were born.  It proved that Shadow was under three months old.  That would simplify things at the border.

They left just after eleven for the long trip back to Toronto.  Gus took some of his dirty clothes and made a little bed for Shadow next to him in the back seat.  The weather was good, cold but no snow.  They made good time to the border and crossed without incident.  The paper Paul had brought them seemed to facilitate taking the kitten across.

Gus had been holding his breath fearful that the policemen at the border, as he chose to think of them, wouldn't let Shadow go home with him.
He was very happy when they were through security.

“Shadow’s really happy that’s over with, Daddy,” Gus said as they drove away.

“I’m happy it’s over with too,” Brian replied.

“Make that three,” Justin said heaving a sigh.

“Now all we have to do is face the cwazy wesbians.”

“Who’s that, Daddy?” Gus asked curious about the strange words his father had uttered.

“Um, nobody, Gus.  Never mind.”

Justin stifled a laugh and they drove on in silence.

They made good time and pulled into the outskirts of Toronto just after seven in the evening.  It was already dark but again no snow.  Brian advised Gus to tuck Shadow into his backpack with the clothes the kitten had been lying on.  That way they could reveal the newest member of the family when they were ready.

They pulled up in front of the house.  Before they could unload Gus’ luggage his mothers ran out of the house and smothered the little boy with kisses.

“We missed you so much, lambskin,” Lindsay said with tears in her eyes.

“I’m glad your father was able to bring you back in one piece,” Melanie stated with a glare for Brian.

Brian chose to ignore Melanie’s jibe.  He pulled Gus’ suitcase out of the back of the SUV.  It was quite heavy with all Gus’ books now in there so that Shadow could reside in the backpack for the time being.  Lindsay and Mel walked their son up to the house and entered, with Brian carrying the suitcase and Justin following.  Brian set the suitcase down inside the front door.

“So what did you do while you were away, sweetheart?” Lindsay asked her son.

“We went snowboarding and Daddy read me stories and we played Parcheesi and Snakes and Ladders and we shoveled snow and threw snow at each other and we had lots of food and I slept in a loft and I found a kitten and here she is…”  Gus stopped talking long enough to pull Shadow out of his backpack.  The kitten immediately licked his face.

Lindsay’s mouth dropped open, as did Melanie’s.

“Good night, Sonny Boy,” Brian called as he headed for the car as fast as his feet would carry him.  Justin was close on his heels.

As he started the car, Brian heard, “Kinney!  Get your ass back here.”


*****


As they waited for their flight to Pittsburgh some time later, Brian’s cell phone rang.  With a grimace he answered it.  It was Lindsay.

“I won’t take much of your time.  I just wanted to let you know that Gus had a great time.  He can’t stop talking about all the wonderful things you did together.  Thank you for making him so happy.  And Shadow is adorable.  Mel has almost forgiven you.  Talk to you soon.”

Lindsay cut the connection and Justin looked questioningly at Brian.

“I think Shadow has a new home,” Brian said with that patented Kinney smirk.

All Justin could do was grin as he remembered all the wonderful memories they had created in Vermont.

The End.
Thyme is the author of 54 other stories.