- Text Size +


 

All the Rage

Chapter 1

JKCDC Diary

9/23/2013

Dear Diary;

Oh, that sounds way too gay but Bill suggested I keep this thing. He thinks it will be good to keep a running record of my 'clients' and a record of my feelings. Bill thinks I may have some trouble sorting out my feelings about being so close to where it all started, so close to the streets. I think he's right. Already the word's out. I've been meeting with some kids out on the street. They feel weird coming in here. But that's okay. Frank's been asking about how it was for me. It hurts bringing all that shit up. Shit, I wrote shit. Is that okay to write? What the hell, it's my diary I can write whatever I feel like. Damn, this is scary. I see myself in the mirror and I don't look like any social worker that I've ever met. They're usually old women with a bun in their hair. I don't think I'd look good with a bun. HA.

Can I really do this? Can I really make a difference? Brian seems to think so, so does Bill. And fuck! Justin gave me his Cherokee. I guess they all believe in me.

Terry's been cool. He can't believe how great the bathhouse looks. John had the place retiled. Hauled away all that nasty smelly tile. Eiwww, gross. I don't want to think about all the cum that spilled over them. Yuck. John made this nice office for me; it's kind of temporary. It's not finished yet. Said he's going to make me a nice big office. I wish I could open the window, just a little. I got used to all that fresh country air. I'm not used to being cooped up. But he said he was going to replace all the windows cause if we opened them they may not shut.

It's quiet in here. I guess the workmen are having lunch. I'm getting hungry.

*****

"You've got mail!"

To: xhustlermsw@jkcdc.org

From: studman@kinnetik.com

Hey Kid!

You hungry? Got time for lunch? Let's give Debbie a thrill.

B

LOL That Brian. He's always looking out for me. If he wants to spring for lunch, I'm not going to insult him by turning him down.

To: studman@kinnetik.com

From: xhustlermsw@jkcdc.org

Yeah, big guy, I'm starving. Meet you out in front of your office in 10.

H

*****

I guess I'm having lunch.

Later, Diary

*****

Anderson Construction Work Log 9/23/13

Windows, need new windows, heavy duty with sturdy locks.

Alarm system.

Paint. I wonder if Justin would consider adding his expertise to the decor.

Note to self, call Justin.

The theater, I can't wait to get my hands on the theater. Man, that place is going to be beautiful. Gordon tells me the haz-mat crew is almost finished. And I got a response from PIFA. They're going to send me a class full of kids and professors that specialize in restoration. I haven't been this excited in working on a project since we renovated Brian's cottage.

Carpeting, insulation. With all the fu..., massages going on at the bathhouse, I have to make sure the place is soundproof.

Bowling alley. I wonder why Brian is so insistent that the bowling alley is fully restored and with the arcade and snack bar. I don't think there'll be much call for bowling down here but what Brian wants he usually gets.

Note to self, ask Brian about the bowling alley.

"Hey Johnny!"

"Yeah, Gordy."

"Don't you ever stop working? It's lunchtime, man. Time to refuel!"

"Coming!"

Lunch.

*****

Brian and Hunter slid into a booth at the diner. Debbie wasn't working so they gave their order to someone named Jane who seemed to have the personality of pebble.

"She won't be here long," Brian observed.

"Why do you say that?" Hunter asked.

"They'll eat her alive."

"Not if Debbie trains her properly," Hunter asserted. Most of Debbie's work was training these days. She hardly worked a full shift anymore, since she was getting up there in age. Only don't tell Debbie that.

"Who's Debbie training?" Emmett asked sliding into the booth beside Brian. Ted sat down next to Hunter.

"The new waitress. She seems a little less than she should be."

"Remember that Loretta Pye woman that Deb trained?" Emmett asked. "She learned quick; maybe this one will too."

"Yeah, if Deb shows her the old baseball bat trick," Ted chuckled.

"Those were the good old days," Emmett said with a faraway look in his eyes.

"I don't dwell in the past," Brian asserted. "Neither does Hunter."

Hunter smiled. It was interesting having Brian Kinney speak for him, and Brian was almost right. Hunter didn't like to dwell in the past, except that lately working with the young hustlers seemed to be taking him back to his past more and more.

Everyone placed their orders before the talk continued.

"So, how are things at Jason Kemp?" Emmett asked.

"We're actually making some progress," Hunter said proudly. "I was going to tell Brian that Frank, the kid who started the whole thing, has been using my computer and is seriously looking at some distance education courses so that he can finish high school."

"You take those over the computer?" Ted asked.

"Yeah, he's really quite good on the computer. Maybe we can get him into some career related to computers once he gets a high school diploma."

"Your first success story," Emmett beamed and Brian smiled a little shyly. This was very good news indeed.

"Don't get too carried away," Hunter warned. "He's just looking at the courses. He hasn't signed up for anything yet."

"But if he does, then others will probably follow suit," Brian said hopefully.

"True," Hunter admitted. "I wish we had more computers so that others had access more easily."

"You know," Ted said thoughtfully. "I was thinking the other day that it's about time we upgraded all the computers at Kinnetik. They've used up their depreciation value. If we donated them to the drop-in center and took a tax write off, we could almost pay for the new ones."

"And the centre would get computers just over two years old," Brian added.

"That would be great," Hunter said.

"Enough about business," Emmett said. "What fun things have you all been doing?"

"Nothing much," Ted responded.

"I know, sweetie. I was directing that question at those among us who actually have a life."

"Hey, I have a life and a partner," Ted defended himself.

"Yeah, you, Allen and the kettle drums," Hunter smirked.

"I just thought of something," Emmett said looking into each face. "This is almost like old times."

"What do you mean?" Ted asked as Brian continued to play with his fork. Some things never changed.

"Remember way back when," Emmett said. "We'd be here in the diner for lunch, you, me, Brian and … Michael."

"Now it's Michael's son," Hunter laughed as their meals arrived.

Ted and Emmett both looked at Brian. "What?" he said as he took a bite out of his sandwich.

"How are things between you and Michael these days?" Emmett ventured.

Brian shrugged and took another bite of his sandwich. Ted shook his head at Emmett. Hunter watched the interplay and wondered if he should talk to Michael about his relationship with Brian.

"Don't even think about it," Brian admonished glaring at Hunter.

"How did you know?" Hunter asked with a grin.

"You're a social worker. What else would you do?"

They ate in companionable silence for a while.

"Well, I should get back and spur Frank on to greater heights," Hunter said as Ted let him out of the booth.

"It's really great that things are starting to take shape at the center," Emmett said.

"If you want a tour, Hunter would be happy to show you around," Brian replied.

"Are you going to have a grand opening?"

"I don't know how grand it will be, but we'll have some kind of opening soon. John is having the time of his life working on the old building."

"Brian," Emmett asked looking into Brian's eyes. "Is there anything I can do about the Michael situation?"

"Not unless you can finally make him grow up," Brian retorted shoving Emmett with his hip so that he could get out of the booth.

"Why did you have to bring that up again?" Ted asked as they watched Brian walk out of the diner after paying his bill.

"I just wanted to help."

"He'll be like a bear with a sore paw for the rest of the day."

"Sorry," Emmett said getting up. "Go hide behind your computer or something. Don't let him see you."

"Better yet," Ted said with a grin. "I'll go order new computers."

"You're the only one I know that that would make happy," Emmett sighed and followed Ted out of the diner.

*****

To: studman@kinnetik.com

From: xhustlermsw@jkcdc.org

Hey Big Guy;

Thanks for lunch.

H

To: xhustlermsw@jkcdc.org

From: studman@kinnetik.com

No problem, got to keep an eye on my investments.

B

To: studman@kinnetik.com

From: xhustlermsw@jkcdc.org

Yeah, right. I'm on to you!

H

*****

JKCDC Diary

9/23/2013

Same day, after lunch.

Brian bought me lunch today. It was nice to be treated like an adult. And even Ted and Emmett treat me like an adult. They're proud of me. It's a good feeling. I just hope I can live up to their expectations. Shit, I hope I can live up to mine.

Frank's back and he brought a 'friend;' gotta go.

*****

To: bmorrison@lawassoc.net

From: numbercruncher@kinnetik.com

Bobby;

I got an interesting donation today from the GLC. Apparently they caught wind of the center. I think this is a first, a not for profit org. donating to another not for profit org.

I'm not sure if I'm going to tell Brian. He hates the GLC. On the other hand...lol

Ted

To: numbercruncher@kinnetik.com

From: bmorrison@lawassoc.net

Ted;

For your own self preservation, I think you better tell Brian. He may not like it but if he finds out without you telling him first, there maybe hell to pay.

Take the donation, Ted. It's a testament to the good work that the JKCDC will do for the community. The GLC is recognizing that.

Bobby

To: bmorrison@lawassoc.net

From: numbercruncher@kinnetik.com

Bobby;

Will do!

Ted

*****

Anderson Construction Work Log 9/23/13

Gordon and I discussed how to proceed with the restoration. I consider this project more as restoration rather than construction. Not only are we restoring fine old buildings but if all goes as planned, we will be restoring a neighborhood back to its former glory.

Normally, we'd do one building at a time. But since time is a factor, the Rage movie is set to premier next Spring, we've decided on three separate work crews. Two crews will be supervised by Gordon. Those will be the crews working on the bathhouse/clinic and the bowling alley. I'm being selfish but I want to work on the theater myself. If I had the power, I'd be the only one to touch those stuccoed walls and the ornate gilt ceiling but I don't have that luxury. The artisans from PIFA will be here tomorrow. I have the original plans for the building and I can't wait to explore every nook and cranny.

I feel like a kid at Christmas or the first time I set foot in a hardware store. I better control myself. Brian may find out that I'm having way too much fun and he may charge me for doing the work. LOL Ted would love that.

Back to work.

*****

To: hotassartist@yahell.com

From: studman@kinnetik.com

Hey!

I'm heading home soon, want me to bring you or the Squirt anything? And the office misses Bree. I think they like her more than me. I wonder why.

B

To: studman@kinnetik.com

From: hotassartist@yahell.com

Hey;

Yeah, we need milk and maybe something chocolate for dessert. I'm in the mood for something decadent. I forgot to go to the store, got caught up in a painting. And before you ask, Briana and Patrick had a play date. Rachel came by and took both kids for today. Bree should be home by the time you get here.

And I know why.

J

To: hotassartist@yahell.com

From: studman@kinnetik.com

Mmm, chocolate and decadent, the possibilities are endless. See you soon.

And you'll have to let me in on the secret.

B