- Text Size +

 

All the Rage

Chapter 11

Holiday season 2013 came and went. Since each family did their own thing for Thanksgiving, it was decided that Brian and Justin would have the pleasure of hosting Christmas. And with everyone's help and cooperation, the Christmas celebration went off without a hitch. That's not including Briana who somehow quietly climbed out of her crib and finding the Christmas presents neatly wrapped under the tree, she managed to rip through several packages, all tagged for her daddy Justin. Fortunately Brian found her in time before Justin found his gifts. With strict instructions from Brian to Justin to keep their daughter occupied for thirty minutes, Brian quickly re-wrapped the presents and thereby saved Christmas, well, his little portion of it. Brian loved watching Justin open his gifts. Justin's ageless face would glow with joy and delight.

Shortly after New Year's, the construction on the theater and bowling alley continued in earnest. The bowling alley was a cake walk compared to the theater which was very detailed and at time tedious work. But John's attention to detail was paying off. The stage had been replaced as well as all of the old wiring. Everything was being restored and what couldn't be restored, was replaced by a replica that duplicated the original. Even the old dressing rooms had been restored. The last fixtures to be reinstalled would be the theater chairs, elegantly reupholstered with plush red velvet, and the crystal chandelier.

Justin and his fellow artists were literally slaving and sweating over the frescoes that lined the upper walls of the theater. To save time, Justin had sketched the scenes that were revealed where the stucco was removed. For the areas that were damaged beyond recognition, Justin used his artistic imagination to fill in the missing scenes. The frescoes were done in a style reminiscent of Greco-Roman paintings. Each artist had his or her section of wall to paint using Justin's sketches as a template. The subtle differences in personal artistic style went un-noticed by the untrained eye and each artist was encouraged by John to find a way of incorporating their signature into their section. Rather than using his name, Justin used his cowry shell and sunburst symbol.

Lacy, when she wasn't covering a day shift at the diner, continued to act as gofer for Justin and the other artists. Taking their cue from Justin and recognizing a budding artist in their midst, the PIFA crew was very patient with Lacy. One of the professors encouraged Lacy to finish high school so she would be able to submit a portfolio to PIFA. Lacy finally admitted to Karen that she had run away from her home to get away from an abusive boyfriend. Karen was able to get Lacy to reveal her full name and birth date but little else. Karen hoped that the positive feedback Lacy was receiving from Justin, his fellow artists, Debbie and even from Brian, would convince Lacy to finish high school and apply to PIFA or anywhere else she desired. Karen seemed to be making some headway with her, and Hunter was very grateful. Even though Lacy continued to hide under boy's clothing, Hunter was painfully aware that Lacy was a girl. He and Karen spent many hours trying to understand why Lacy hustled as if she was a he. Whatever her reasons, Lacy was safe and off the street. She appeared to be on the right path.

As good as things were going at the clinic and with the construction, Brian was having a devil of a time with the Rage PR. Brett finally had given Brian the date for the premiere, April 5th, which suited Brian just fine. It wouldn't interfere with Briana's second birthday party. But aside from that, Brett was fighting Brian regarding an idea for a contest that Michael was running in the comic. Twelve lucky winners would get to go to the premiere. However Brett wanted the Hollywood premiere to be very posh and star filled. Brian felt that it should be focused toward the readers, and the population that made Rage a success. Brian decided that if Brett didn't want the winners to go to LA, Brian would have them all come to Pittsburgh, the home of Rage. Brian worked out a deal with Liberty Air, and with a local four star hotel. To hell with Brett and to hell with LA. Rage was born on the streets of Pittsburgh and it would be the streets of Pittsburgh celebrating. Brian fucking Kinney would see to that.

One afternoon, mid-January, Brett Keller and his posse of yes-men sauntered into Kinnetik. Brett was momentarily rendered speechless at the juxtaposition of Kinnetik's seedy looking exterior with the ultramodern and expensive interior. Even the chipped plaster on the support columns had a certain charm. The decor of Brett's offices paled by comparison and Brett was envious. Kinnetik screamed out Brian Kinney while Brett's offices only whispered. Brett was not happy.

"Brett Keller to see Brian Kinney," Brett announced to anyone who cared to listen as he walked into the main office. Brian was taking a short break, peeking in on Bree as she was playing in the daycare. One of Brian's guilty pleasures was watching his beautiful daughter. Brian, the blissfully happy daddy, leaned over and kissed Briana's golden head. She giggled in delight. Brian Kinney, master of Kinnetik, exited the day care area and went back toward his office.

"Brian Kinney! You're a difficult man to track down," Brett exclaimed with a false smile and shook Brian's hand.

"Brett Keller, as I live and breathe. What brings you to the Pitts and everyone knows where to find Brian Kinney," Brian sneered back.

"Thought I'd personally oversee the Rage PR. You know, look over what you've got, maybe I can lend a hand." Brett leaned into Brian's personal space and ran his hand suggestively down Brian's back. Brian's eyes narrowed into a Rageian death glare, Brett backed up a bit then cleared his throat. "Seriously, Brian, the faxed copies and emails don't do the posters justice. And since you seem to avoid sunny LA, LA decided to come here, to dreary Pittsburgh. Honestly Brian, how can you prefer Pittsburgh to California? What keeps you here?"

Before Brian could answer, Justin walked into the office with Briana toddling behind.

"Hi Bri!"

"Dada!"

Both of Brian's beautiful blonds smiled their most sunniest of smiles at Brian.

"That's what keeps me here, Brett." Brian swooped down and swept Bree into his arms then reached out for Justin's hand. Justin was there at Brian's side faster than you could say Kinnetik. "Brett, you can keep your LA sun, I've got my sunshine right here."

Brian kissed his daughter then Justin. Ignoring his office full of people for a minute, Brian wanted to know what Justin was doing at Kinnetik.

"I wanted to see if you were free for lunch and to look at the latest Rage boards," Justin confided.

"I'm not so sure about lunch but I was about to show Brett and his goons the boards. You're welcome to stay," Brian informed Justin.

"How about I send out for lunch while you get the boards set up?" Justin suggested.

"Wait, I have a better idea. That asshole thinks that LA is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I wonder how long it would take Emmett to do lunch."

"I don't know but it's worth a shot. I'll call Emmett."

"I'll get Cynthia to set up the boardroom." Brian leaned over to kiss his spouse. "I love you, you know," Brian whispered into Justin's ear.

"I know," Justin whispered back then took Bree back to the outer office to make his calls.

"Brett, old man, why don't you and your assistants make yourselves comfortable while I send out for lunch then we can look over the boards. Consider it a working lunch," Brian snarked just a tad. He wasn't convinced that Brett actually knew what work was.

Within the hour, Emmett, breezed into Brian's inner sanctum.

"Hi, hi, hi!" Emmett said while regally waving his hands around. "Ooo, sweetie, don't you look as gorgeous and as hot as ever," Emmett winked at Brian as he gushed. "And who is this?" Emmett asked, giving Brett and his cohorts the once over.

"Emmett, this is Brett Keller, the man who is bringing Rage to life on the big screen," Brian stated with flare. "Brett, this is Emmett, my personal caterer." Brian growled low into Emmett's ear, "Tell me you brought over something to wow the pants off this asshole."

"Don't worry, honey, your Auntie Em has it covered," Emmett whispered back.

"You had better, or you're one dead Auntie Em," Brian snarled.

"Brett! So nice to meet you. I've heard such wonderful things about you," Emmett schmoozed loudly. Just then, Cynthia entered the office.

"Brian, lunch is set up in the boardroom as well as the boards, anytime you're ready," Cynthia, ever the professional, informed Brian.

"Thank you, Cynthia. Brett, gentlemen, please come this way." Brian led Brett and posse to the boardroom.

Emmett had set up a veritable feast of sandwiches on the boardroom table. Brett and his posse sauntered in giving the place the once over. Brett did his best to find fault with the place but had to admit that Brian had style.

They took seats around the table and Emmett began to hand out the plates he arranged. He had made large sandwiches on focaccia, pita and exotic whole grain breads. These had been cut into small pieces about the size of two mouthfuls each. Each plate contained a selection of four sandwiches filled with everything from chicken and goat cheese to the best egg salad any of them had ever tasted. There were so many oohs and aahs and yummies that they all forgot about the Rage PR boards until they had sampled each of their sandwiches. Emmett placed the large trays of sandwiches in the center of the conference table so that the men could choose more of the sandwich they liked best. Everyone was so enjoying the unexpected flavors that they hardly noticed that Emmett had set glasses of elderflower flavored water in front of each of them.

"What is this?" Brett asked taking a drink.

"Elderflower," Emmett grinned.

"It's … refreshing … and different," Brett admitted.

"My clients always seem to enjoy it," Emmett smiled.

"Brian, how did you find this man? I'd like him to cater for me in Hollywood," Brett laughed.

Brian snorted. "The commute might kill him, but I don't doubt he could handle it."

Emmett beamed under the praise. He knew he was good, but Hollywood?

"So Brett," Justin interrupted the Emmett lovefest. "What do you think of the boards?"

Brett looked around the room noting the "All the Rage", "Do You Feel the Rage?", and "Let the Rage Capture You" on top of drawings of Rage in various poses and actions. "I don't think the public is going to make the connection. The comic book fans will, but nobody else will get it."

Brian sighed. "That's the fucking point! It's aimed at the people who know about Rage but interesting enough to get those who don't understand it to ask 'Who's Rage?'. That's what we want to start, curiosity, questions, interest. Then we go from there." Brian didn't know how to explain it any better than that.

"I don't know," Brett said with a frown. His entourage looked equally bored.

"Brett," Justin said watching Brian's blood pressure start to escalate. "This is the preliminary campaign. As the opening approaches, we start the contest to win a trip to the opening. Brian has made sure that the premiere in Pittsburgh will get national coverage. Paul Thomas has agreed to aid in all the promotion. It's going to be great."

"How can you be so sure?" Brett scoffed.

"Because we fucking research these things!" Brian bellowed. "Cynthia, would you care to show Mr. Keller the demographics and the focus study that was just completed?" Brian stood and stalked out of the room.

Justin watched him leave and knew he would go to Bree. She would calm him down.

"Is he ticked?" Brett grinned. His posse smirked too.

"Gentlemen, if you would care for some sweets," Emmett said replacing the sandwich trays with a huge tray of fruit and tiny tarts and cookies and truffles. It looked almost too good to eat. The posse started to dig in.

Emmett gave Justin the high sign to join him at the back of the room. "Should you go after Brian?" he asked.

"He'll be in the daycare playing with Bree. He'll come back when he's ready."

"I thought he was going to toss the whole lot of them out on their ear," Emmett chuckled.

"He would have ordinarily, but he doesn't want to fuck up the movie for me."

"Right, well, at least they liked the food," Emmett said as he readied a carafe of coffee for them.

"It was great. I don't know how you did it on such short notice."

"I'm a good, little boy scout, always prepared."

"Can't thank you enough. And they were really impressed," Justin said meaning every word.

"Oh, oh," Emmett said as Brian came back into the room. He had debated bringing Bree with him, but had decided that if things were going to get nasty, she would be better somewhere else.

Justin looked at Brian who nodded and sat down at the conference table. "I hope you enjoyed your lunch," he said slowly.

They all nodded. "I still want to steal Emmett away from you," Brett joked.

"I can't be bought or stolen," Emmett said as he placed the coffee in front of them all.

"Brett," Brian began. He was going to tell this idiot that he was the advertising expert and they were going to do this his way.

"No need to say anymore, Brian. I've looked at your research and it indicates you're right. You are Rage after all," he laughed trying to make everything okay. The research certainly seemed to back up Brian's approach.

Brian scowled. He had been ready to take on Brett Keller and now, apparently, he wasn't going to get that chance. "I'm glad you've come to your senses."

"I may not like your approach, but if it works, we all win."

Brian couldn't argue with that. "Then I better get back to work." He stood and walked out of the boardroom.

"I hope it wasn't something I said," Brett laughed as did his minions.

"You have no idea just how lucky you are," Justin added and went after Brian.

"So, Emmett what do you say about relocating to Hollywood?" Brett teased.

"If you want to pay me to relocate and find me a long list of clients, I would be happy to come. I could use a vacation."

Brett laughed and shook his head as he and his entourage stood and made their way out of Kinnetik. Emmett started to clean up.

Justin headed for the daycare knowing that would probably be where Brian had gone. He found Brian sitting in the rocking chair holding a sleepy Bree in his arms. He looked up when Justin came in. "Are they gone?" he said softly as he rocked his daughter.

"I'm hoping they will be by the time we come back." Justin knelt beside his husband and their daughter running his fingers gently through Briana's blond locks. They stayed that way for a few minutes until Bree drifted off. Brian stood up and laid her down on one of the little cots. He kissed her cheek as did Justin and the two men walked back to the main office.

Emmett was almost done his clean-up. Brian noted that Brett and his gang had disappeared.

"You didn't head out to Hollywood with Brett?" Justin asked with a laugh.

"He couldn't afford me," Emmett said with a big grin.

"I owe you one, Emm. I wanted them to drool over lunch and you pulled it off," Brian said.

"It's the least I could do in return for all the business you send my way."

Brian nodded. "So Brett couldn't convince you to go?"

"I wouldn't go anywhere with that guy. I know an asshole when I see one."

Brian snorted. "You've had lots of practice identifying assholes," Brian said in his best self-deprecating voice.

"There are assholes and then there are assholes," Emmett stated with a chuckle.

"And which category do I fall into?" Brian smirked.

"Only the best, sweetie, only the best." Emmett and his boxes and trays departed Kinnetik.