- Text Size +

 

All the Rage

Chapter 12

"John, you wanted to see me?" John had called Brian at Kinnetik and asked to meet him at the bowling alley. It was just about mid February, the bowling alley renovations were cruising right along. Hunter already had a list of 'lost boys' who would do well there. Brian and Ted were interviewing candidates for manager. Brian's dream was getting closer and closer to reality.

"Come on, let's go inside. It's freezing out here," John exclaimed as he opened the main doors to let them both in.

John and Brian slowly entered the newly transformed bowling alley. John watched as the hardened expression on his brother's face softened and took on the look of a little boy at Christmas time. Brian was floored. He turned quickly to gaze at John.

"Go on, you can walk around, no hard hat required," John chuckled as Brian took off like a shot to explore the whole building. Brian was especially pleased with the arcade. There were a dozen of the refurbished pinball machines as well as a dozen more modern computerized games. Kids young and old would have fun there.

The alley's polished floors shone under the lights and the clatter of pins crashing echoed throughout the building as each lane was tested. Brian was happier than a bear in a room full of bottom boys.

Later on at the diner, the brothers shared a quiet corner to have lunch.

"Brian, why?"

"Why what?"

"Why all the interest in an old bowling alley? The clinic, I can understand and I applaud your courage for suggesting the center, and for following through so thoroughly. The theater, that's a bonus for me, Justin, the neighborhood and I hope, for Rage. But it's just an old bowling alley."

Brian became very quiet as he pushed his food around his plate. John recognized the signs of his brother deep in thought and debate with himself.

"Jack," Brian said softly.

"What about him?" John gently prodded. He knew how much it still hurt Brian to speak of their father.

"Sometimes he'd take me bowling. Most times he'd wind up so drunk that I never knew how we got home in one piece but we did. It just reminds me of a bowling alley we once went to. It was a happy memory," Brian sighed and then pushed around a bit more of his lunch.

John got up from his seat, scooted around the table to sit next to his brother. He then slipped his arm around Brian's shoulder.

"Thank you for sharing that with me," John whispered into the brunet hair around his brother's ear. "My mother tends to remember Jack as a young dashing lover; you remember the man he became. I know he was cruel but somewhere in him was the father I wanted."

Brian understood. Jack may have been the most horrible father a child could ever have but at least Brian had one. John never did.

The brothers sat in their booth, quietly reflecting, each silently vowing to be the best fathers possible for their children.

*****

"Brian?" Justin said softly, trying to broach a touchy subject with his spouse as they lay wrapped around each other in their big four-poster.

"Hmm?" Brian answered casually. He had a sneaking suspicion what was floating around the blond brain of Justin Taylor-Kinney.

"You know what Friday is?"

"I believe it's the fourteenth."

"Uh huh and do you know what that means?"

"Um, it'll be seven weeks and one day until the Rage movie premieres? And eight weeks minus one day until our daughter's second birthday?"

"No, you big asshole! It's Valentine's Day and I want to go out for dinner and go to Babylon," Justin demanded.

"Oh do you now, and what do you suggest we do with the Squirt?"

"My mother has already volunteered to baby-sit Bree on Friday and keep her for the night. We can stay at the loft Friday and then go home Saturday with Bree."

"Have it all worked out in that little brain of yours, eh Sunshine?"

"Yes, I do. And I won't take no for an answer. We've all been working very hard and we deserve a break, so don't argue with me."

"Wouldn't dream of it, Justin. But don't you think I'm too old to be shaking my sorry ass on the dance floor?"

"No, I don't. Brian; you're as beautiful as the day I first saw you. The face of a god and his name is Brian Kinney," Justin sighed at the memory.

"That's Brian Kinney-Taylor. And if you think I won't make a fool of myself then we'll go to Babylon. You'll still be the most beautiful man there," Brian murmured as he gave Justin a little squeeze.

"Brian, make love to me." Justin pleaded as he wriggled himself so that Brian was on top of him.

"My bossy bottom," Brian whispered as he reached for the lube to prepare Justin then slide his way home into Justin's heat. They rocked together until completion then sated, slipped into sleep still locked together in their embrace.

*****

Friday morning there was a big scramble in the Taylor-Kinney home. Brian and Justin had packed a bag with their best club clothes so that they could look dazzling when they made their entrance into Babylon that night. Neither of them wanted to feel old or out of place. Justin had made heart shaped cookies covered in pink icing for the kids in the daycare at Kinnetik. He had also made enough for all the employees at Kinnetik as well. He figured they would get enough mileage out of Brian giving out heart shaped cookies to last for several weeks.

Bree knew something was up, but she wasn't sure what. Brian insisted on dressing her in the new pink dress he had found for the occasion. It had little ruffles on the collar and a row of red hearts along the bodice. She looked as delicious as Justin's cookies.

Brian carried her into the kitchen where Justin was boxing up his cookies.

"Happy Vantine's Day, Daddy," she cooed to Justin just as Brian had taught her.

Justin turned around with one of his radiant smiles. He knew where that had come from even if Brian still professed to hate the commercial holiday. "Thank you, sweetheart, and Happy Valentine's Day to you too." Justin leaned in and kissed his daughter as Brian brought her closer. He then reached up and cupped Brian's chin kissing him as well. "Thank you," he whispered.

Brian shrugged but couldn't help but smile. "Ready to go?"

"Have you got Bree's bag?"

"By the front door."

"Our bag."

"Right beside Bree's."

"Cookies are ready."

"Check," Brian chuckled. "Then let's get this show on the road."

"Remember the good old days when we could walk out of the loft with just the clothes on our backs, set the alarm and never have to think about all this stuff."

"Were those the good old days?" Brian asked. "I kind of thought these were."

Justin grinned. "You old romantic. I love you so damn much!"

"Backatcha."

"Let's go," Justin said giving Brian a quick smooch as he went by.

They loaded the car, Justin doing most of the carrying and stowing while Brian got Bree situated in her car seat. With the cottage locked and everything turned off, including one last trip to make sure the stove was off, they headed for Pittsburgh.

"You'll make sure each person gets a cookie," Justin told Brian.

"What?" Brian asked with a frown. "I thought you were coming in to hand them out."

"No, I have to get to the theater. We're starting the last fresco today, and we're already late. They need me to help them get started."

"Fuck!"

"Brian," Justin admonished, looking over the seat back to see if Bree was paying attention. She seemed engrossed in telling her stuffed rabbit something very important.

"You know I hate Valentine's Day," Brian groused.

Justin snorted. "Yeah, that's why you taught Bree to say Happy Valentine's Day."

"Happy Vantine's Day," Bree giggled having heard her name.

"See."

"What makes you think I taught her that?" Brian asked. "She probably picked it up from all the Valentine's Day ads or from the kids at daycare."

"Sure," Justin said sarcastically. He knew Brian had taught their daughter so that he didn't have to say it himself, but he didn't want to argue about it. "Anyway, give the kids at daycare their cookies for the morning snack and you could … put the rest in the break room with a sign if you don't want to give them to your employees personally."

"Okay," Brian said almost too quickly.

Justin frowned. He knew Brian too well not to be surprised by that quick response. He'd have to check later to see what Brian did with the cookies. He hoped they wouldn't end up in the dumpster out back of Kinnetik.

Brian dropped Justin off at the theater and headed to Kinnetik with Bree. He carried the box of cookies and his daughter into the daycare. The daycare lady, Alice, helped Brian take out the box of cookies designated for those in the daycare. Brian kissed Briana and then took the rest of the cookies into his office. He found a piece of white foamcore and some markers and got to work.

Some time later Brianna came into his office holding onto the hand of Alice's helper, Mary. "She wanted to give you a kiss and ask you to come hand out the cookies to her classmates," Mary smiled.

'Shit!' Brian thought. He had hoped that Alice would do that for him. "All right," he said wearily standing up and scooping up his beautiful little girl. "Let's get this over with."

They walked down the hall to the daycare where the class was sitting in a circle on the floor. Alice patted the chair beside her and Briana went to sit beside her friend, Joe. Brian walked to the front and sat down beside Alice. She handed him his box of cookies.

"Do we all know what today is?" she asked.

"Vantine's Day," they all chirped.

Brian smiled. They all said it just like Bree.

"That's correct," Alice said. "Briana's dad has brought us all a treat for Valentine's Day."

There was a round of cheers as Brian opened the box. "These were actually made by Briana's other daddy," Brian explained, "but he asked me to bring them in for you. More cheers broke out as Brian looked into the box. He noted that each cookie had a name on it. Trust Justin to know everybody's name and use it on fucking cookies.

"Joe," Brian said and saw the little boy next to Bree stand up and come towards him, albeit a little hesitantly. "Here you go, Joe," Brian said. The boy took the cookie and held his arms out for a hug. Brian had to smile knowing that signal so well. He gave the boy a warm hug and Joe hurried back to sit beside Bree. He broke off a little piece of his cookie and offered it to Bree who smiled and took it, popping it in her mouth. Bree seemed to have her first beau.

Brian continued calling names and giving hugs until the box was almost empty. Bree got hers last except for Alice and Mary who also received a cookie with their names on it too. Brian had to give them a hug as well. When he stood up to leave the whole group chorused, "Thank you, Mr. Kinney."

"You're very welcome," Brian replied with a smile. That hadn't been so bad.

"Thank you, dada," Bree said running up to him for a hug before he left.

"You're welcome, Squirt," Brian said giving her a raspberry on her cheek. She giggled happily.

Back at his office Brian was about to get another surprise. He had placed the box of cookies in the break room and thankfully they didn't have anybody's name on them. Brian shuddered when he thought about having to hand them out individually to his employees. At least Justin hadn't done that to him. With the cookies he had concocted a sign that said, "Sweets for the creative, hard working, capable staff of Kinnetik." He had quickly exited the room before anyone saw him and associated the cookies with him.

"Bri," Ted said coming into the office with one of Justin's cookies in his hand. Brian looked up. "Thanks for the cookies. They're tasty," Ted said as he bit into his.

"How do you know I had anything to do with them?" Brian asked.

"Who else would have put a sign like that with them? Mine would have said 'Help yourself.' And nothing more."

"Are you sure you meet all the criteria for having a cookie?" Brian smirked. He just couldn't resist."

"Huh?"

"You know, creative hard working, capable."

Ted blinked and said, "I'm capable and hard working. The creative part I'm not so sure about."

"Yes, you are," Brian smiled.

"I am?"

"Creative finances like you managed to swing for the clinic project."

"Oh yeah," Ted beamed. "I guess I do have a creative side. Anyway, thanks for the cookie."

Brian got back to work only to be interrupted by Cynthia thanking him for the treat, and then Murph from the art department, and then Tom and Carol, and every fucking employee. He knew Schmidt was behind this and he would make him pay eventually. Finally no one else came to thank him and Brian could get back to work on Rage. He was arranging copy and ads for several magazines to coincide with the opening of the movie.

As the afternoon wore on Brian was looking forward to seeing Justin, going to dinner and Babylon, and having a night alone in the loft.

*****

After work, Brian and Justin drove to Jennifer's house to drop off Briana; she'd spend the night with her Grandma Jenn and Aunt Molly. Then the boys raced back to the loft to shower, change into something sexy then out for dinner and hopefully if they had the energy, Babylon.

Brian had made reservations at their favorite Italian restaurant that was gay friendly and had quiet corners where the lovers could enjoy their meal in romantic seclusion. He had ordered a bottle of their favorite wine which was waiting for them, chilling in a bucket next to the table. He also did something that he thought he'd never do, arrange for flowers. In deference to Justin's allergies, Brian ordered flowers low in pollen and with a very light scent. The bouquet was in a crystal vase on Justin's side of the table. As they approached their table, Justin's smile lit up the entire room.

"What's this?" Justin gushed as he indicated the flowers and wine.

"Thought if I did things right, I'd get lucky tonight." Brian blushed; he still had a little trouble doing romance.

"Oh, you're getting lucky, all right," Justin cooed.

"Then I guess I did something right," Brian whispered into Justin's ear as he held the chair for his spouse.

Dinner was a leisurely affair. Rather than a large heavy meal the lovers chose a variety of appetizers, salads and fruit dishes that were bite sized so that they could feed each other, nibbling on each delicacy and on each other. They spent several hours enjoying the atmosphere and each other.

After dinner as they were finishing the wine, Brian was experiencing a moment of self doubt.

"Justin, are you sure you want to go to Babylon?"

"Yeah, I'm sure."

"Why? You certainly fit in, you're so beautiful. You still look like that young boy under the lamp. Justin, I'm forty-four, I can go in as the owner but not as a clubber."

"Brian, five years ago tonight, you proposed to me, in front of everyone, in front of all of Liberty Avenue. I want to go to Babylon with the sexiest man in all of Pittsburgh, no matter what your age." Justin was so emphatic about what he wanted that Brian couldn't dare to argue. He simply nodded then waved for the check. Whatever Justin wanted...

*****

Brian and Justin got to Babylon with the Valentine celebration in full swing. The thumpa thumpa music was loud and jumping. The men were swaying and gyrating. Babylon was the place to be this night.

Brian sauntered to the edge of the catwalk, surveying his kingdom with just a smidgeon of the arrogant man that once was. Stately, elegant and overwhelmingly sexy, that was and is Brian Kinney. Justin hung back a little to let Brian have his moment. Justin was well aware that under that facade of arrogance was a man who still had a need to prove himself if not to everyone then to himself. Brian watched his patrons enjoying themselves and he stretched to his full height with pride. When Brian gestured to Justin to join him, Justin sidled up to his spouse. Brian raised his arm as Justin took his place at Brian's side. The kings of Babylon and of Liberty were home.

Justin pointed down at their favorite bar; the whole gang was there. For the moment, time stood still. It was the year 2000 again, they were all young, beautiful, ready to dance and cruise. "Let's Hear It For The Boy," blasted from the speakers. Justin grabbed Brian's hand and pulled him down the stairs and onto the dance floor. The sea of men parted for their kings as Brian and Justin put on their show. When the music changed the whole gang made their way through the dancers to join the lovers. Brian and Justin with their family of friends danced the night away.

"Brian," Justin murmured into his lover's ear, as Justin danced with his arms around Brian's neck. Brian leaned back to see the lust in his husband's eyes. He nodded then took Justin's hand as he led him to the backroom.

In the backroom, Brian found a secluded corner, pushed Justin up against the wall then ravished his face with a myriad of hungry kisses. Brian turned Justin around to face the wall, shoving his slacks down. He took out a small tube of lube from his pocket to prepare his boy.

"You want me, don't you?" Brian growled into the blond's ear then bit his neck.

"Yesss, fuck me," Justin groaned back. Brian roughly pushed his hard dick into Justin's trembling ass, waited until Justin pushed back then began to fuck.

Savagely they bucked and fucked until they both came with loud moans, Brian doing his best to keep them both standing as their knees threatened to buckle. Leaning against the wall, Justin slowly turned to face Brian. Both men had ear to ear smiles; their lust for each other never grew old.

"Let's go home, Sunshine." Justin nodded as they righted their clothes to head for home.

At the entrance to the backroom, a familiar person, um, ass, caught Brian's eye.

"Hey Todd, how's it going?"

"Fine," Todd replied as his ass was being plowed.

"Sunshine, it's nice to know some things never change," Brian remarked to Justin as they climbed the stairs to the catwalk and then exited the club.