- Text Size +

 

All the Rage

Chapter 13

Lacy stepped into Kinnetik. She always felt slightly overwhelmed by the style and presence of the place. That was the way she felt about the man who owned it to. She was overwhelmed by his style and power and beauty. No matter how friendly Brian Kinney was to her and how he joked around with her, she was slightly afraid of him. He was Rage after all.

She walked over to the reception desk and cleared her throat as the woman behind the desk ignored her. Lacy's clothes had improved somewhat since she had started working at the diner and earning some money that she could spend on them. However, she still dressed mostly androgynously and in colors that helped her fade into the background.

Finally the woman behind the desk deigned to glance up at her. "May I help you?" the woman asked with that superior tone that Lacy was only too familiar with.

"I'd like to see Mr. Kinney," Lacy said.

"Mr. Kinney is extremely busy. Do you have an appointment?"

"No, but…"

"I'm afraid you'll have to make an appointment for some future date. May I ask why you wish to see Mr. Kinney?"

"His partner asked…"

"You know Mr. Kinney's partner?"

"Yes."

"Well, I…" the woman stuttered. She wasn't sure what to do with this upstart who was claiming to know Mr. Taylor.

Just then Brian came down the hall from the conference room. He glanced up and saw Lacy. "Hey, Lacy, what are you doing here? Did something happen to Justin?" he asked as he realized that might be the reason she had come to find him. Justin had been hurt again.

"No, no, nothing like that. Justin's fine," Lacy assured him. She watched him visibly relax.

"Then what can I do for you?" Brian asked his smirk firmly back in place.

"Justin asked me to find you and see if you could come over to the theater."

"Why?"

"He wants to show you something."

"He does, does he?" A sexy smile passed across Brian's face as he thought of a certain ass and balls and cock. His own dick responded immediately.

Lacy watched his face and grinned. She had seen how much the two men cared for each other, and apparently they still got off on each other like teenagers. "I don't think that's what he wants to show you," Lacy said in a whisper daring to voice her thoughts.

Brian glared at her for a moment and he could see her visibly cower. Then a grin began and he said, "I want to see whatever Justin has to show me. Let's go."

Lacy's mouth dropped open. "Right now?"

"Yeah, I have nothing here that's more important than Justin."

Lacy followed Brian out of Kinnetik and they began the walk that would take them over to the theater complex. Lacy studied Brian as they walked along side by side. He knew she was watching him and he wondered what she was thinking.

"How have things been going for you, Lacy?" Brian asked.

"Fine."

"Fine is the kind of answer that means absolutely nothing."

"Yeah, I guess it does," she laughed. "I'm living at Debbie's now."

"And how's that going?"

"She has the best rules," Lacy chuckled.

"Yeah," Brian agreed. "I used to like them a lot when Justin was living there."

"Were you two together back then?"

"Off and on," Brian said remembering the ups and downs of the early stage of their relationship.

Lacy looked sideways at him but she understood by his tone that he didn't really want her to pursue that. "I'm working at the diner. I like making some money … honestly."

Brian understood where that came from. For a lot of the hustlers they had never held a real job. "How's the art thing?"

"I've learned a lot from Justin," she beamed. "I started a drawing course at the GLC too."

"Good for you," Brian said as they approached the theater.

"You go in. I should check in with Hunter," Lacy said.

Brian raised an eyebrow. Obviously she was making herself scarce. Maybe Justin was waiting inside naked and ready. Brian's cock jumped in his trousers. He hurried up to the door and went inside calling, "Justin."

"Over here," Justin called back and Brian followed his voice to the side of the theater. Justin had all his clothes on which was a disappointment, but he also had one of his radiant smiles. John stood beside him.

"Hey, John," Brian said looking around. Both Justin and John looked up. The chandelier shone in all its glory above their heads. "Not bad," Brian said stunned by the brilliance of the newly refurbished and polished light fixture.

"It's glorious, isn't it?" John said a look of absolute bliss on his face.

"Not bad at all," Brian repeated gazing up at the fixture.

"Well," John said, "I have to run off to check on a couple of things now that we're almost through here."

"Through?" Brian asked.

"Once the seats are in, we're done," John said with a smile.

"That's great," Brian replied and John hurried away with a glance at Justin. "What's going on? I feel like I'm caught in a big secret or something," Brian scowled. He still liked to be in control.

"I'm done too," Justin grinned.

"Done? You mean the frescoes?"

Justin nodded and reached out for Brian's hand. He led his husband around the theater stopping at each fresco so Brian could get a good look. Neither spoke until Brian was done looking at the last fresco.

"They're wonderful," Brian had to admit. They had the look and style of the fifties and just a little hint of Justin Taylor thrown in.

"You like them?" Justin asked with a self-conscious grin.

"John picked the right man for the job," Brian said with a sexy grin.

Justin threw himself into Brian's arms. "I was hoping you'd like them," he whispered into Brian's ear as he kissed Brian's cheek.

"I am a little disappointed though," Brian whispered back.

"Disappointed?" Justin asked pushing Brian away. "What are you disappointed about?" Justin looked crestfallen at Brian's words.

Brian had to smile and he said, "When Lacy came to get me, I was picturing you laid out naked underneath one of the murals all aroused and waiting for me."

Justin's smile beamed back immediately. "That's what you thought, huh?"

"Yep," Brian said.

"I think that could be arranged."

"You do?" Brian asked raising an eyebrow in surprise.

"Go lock the door."

"Naughty boy!" Brian said with a big grin.

"Just the way you like me," Justin said pulling his T-shirt off over his head.

Brian tore his eyes away and headed back to the entrance. He flipped the lock and tried the door to be sure it wouldn't open. He headed back to Justin who was lying on a drop cloth right below the fresco that Brian liked the best. It depicted some kind of bacchanal without too much graphic sex going on. They could do that part themselves.

"Is this what you had in mind?" Justin cooed playing with himself while he waited for Brian to get rid of his clothes.

"Even better than what I was thinking," Brian grinned as now naked he slid down next to this husband and kissed the lips that he loved so much. "Ready?" he asked when they broke the kiss.

"Always ready for you," Justin said as Brian entered him. Their lovemaking was swift and heated and wonderful.

When Brian pulled out after they were through, he leaned against Justin and whispered, "We should meet like this every day."

Justin giggled. "Even when the theater is operational."

"We could charge extra for people to watch. I could pay off this place that much faster."

"You are incorrigible," Justin laughed slapping Brian on the chest.

"I know, but you love me anyways."

"Always," Justin whispered before Brian's lips claimed his once again.

*****

St. Patrick's Day was approaching and Pittsburgh as well as most of the country was preparing for the wearing of the green. The Rage premier was all set for the fifth of April. Brian had a couple of concerns, well more than a couple of concerns. First, was the grand opening of the bowling alley. John assured Brian that it was ready, but should it a part of the theater opening or done on its own? And then of course, there was the clinic. Hunter had the solution for that one.

Hunter and Karen decided to keep the publicity surrounding the clinic low key. The word was already out on the street that the clinic was open and available to anyone who had need of its services. Having a big 'ta do' might even be detrimental. So, Hunter decided to have a small ceremony one afternoon and invited the principle contributors to the project. Emmett provided the lunch, nothing fancy but hearty and plenty to go around.

The main event was the announcement of which ex-hustler was ready for legitimate employment. Some had decided to go back to school full time or into vocational school, others decided to take advantage of the clinic's computers and take online courses. It was ongoing and quite a few of the older kids wanted to try their hand at real jobs. Hunter had a list ready for Brian and Ted to look over. A number of openings for ushers, box office, concession stand and maintenance jobs were available at the theater. The bowling alley needed its own set of employees. Some of the upper level positions were being filled by members of the community but many would be filled by Hunter's protégés. This pleased Brian to no end. His dream was a reality.

Justin had suggested having the grand opening for the bowling alley coincide with St. Patrick's Day. Emmett would cater; typical 'Irish' fare was planned and the whole 'family' from Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, and Bridgeton, as well as community leaders, were invited.

The newly renovated "Liberty Bowling Alley" as it was now known, was decked out in green bunting. Brian nearly gagged at the numerous leprechauns and shamrocks that hung from each wall, door and any other surface. But who was he to argue with Emmett and Debbie, his own personal decorating committee. Brian put on his happy face and tried to stay pleasant. Briana and Justin saw to that.

On St. Paddy's day, everyone who was anyone was Irish for the day. But Brian did manage to get back at Ted for that little Valentine cookie annoyance.

Early on St. Patrick's morning, Brian went to every bakery and donut stop he could find. He snuck all the sweets into the break room and placed a small placard next to the feast. It read, in Ted's distinctive scrawl, "Help Yourself." Brian left the break room nibbling on a green donut and remarked to the first person he met that there was plenty more where that came from and how thoughtful Ted was for bringing the pastries. Poor Teddy got little work done that day.

*****

"Emmett, what's on the menu?" Brian asked the master caterer, knowing full well what the main dish was.

"Corned beef and cabbage with boiled potatoes, of course. And I have plenty of Irish stew," Emmett drawled as he rolled his eyes.

"No salad?" Brian snarked. He hated corned beef and cabbage.

"Yes, oh mighty queen of thin. I have your fucking salad. You'd think for once you'd get with the program. Your husband and daughter seem to like my stew."

"Yeah, well it wasn't forced down your throat every Sunday night. I'll stick with the salad," Brian groused, but then added. "Emmett, you did a fine job here. The whole family is having a great time, including Hunter's kids. I'm really very grateful."

Brian's praise effectually rendered the flaming queen speechless as Brian went to mingle and be the consummate host.

Later on in the evening before the family went home Brian made an announcement.

"Ladies and gentlemen, last year at Bree's birthday we announced that anyone who wanted to go to the Rage premiere in LA would be our guest. There are also two dozen lucky contest winners who will be going to the premiere of their choice, here at the grand opening of the Liberty theater or in LA. And I'm very happy to announce that Paul Thomas and Brett Keller will fly in for our gala then fly out to get back in time for the LA opening which will be later that night. So, I'll need to know who will be going where so I can finalize the arrangements. Please see me or Ted before you leave tonight."

Brian set himself up at a table and had a pad with him so he could tally up the names of who wanted to go where. The Andersons et al, all wanted to be a part of the Pittsburgh premiere. They had all contributed in a large way to the success of the clinic project. It was only fitting that they should enjoy its success.

Debbie, Carl, the munchers, Ted, Allen, Emmett and Drew all wanted to celebrate here, in the Pitts. Hunter and Nick wanted to attend the Pittsburgh gala as well. Jennifer and Molly wanted to be wherever Justin was going to be and were very happy to attend here. When it came time for Ben and Michael to decide, Brian ran into a little hitch.

"LA!"

"Pittsburgh!"

Michael and Ben said respectively at the same time.

"Which one is it, boys?" Brian asked as he looked up at the poster men for gay marriage.

"Ben, come on, we have to go to LA. That's where all the stars will be!" Michael exclaimed.

"Baby, it's the middle of the semester; I can't fly off to California. Besides, the whole family is choosing to stay here and I'd like to celebrate with them."

"Be-ennn!," Michael started to whine until Debbie walked over and smacked Michael upside the head.

"Michael Novotny, you will be here for the opening and that's final!" Debbie stated emphatically and then walked away as Michael rubbed his head.

"Okay, Ma," Michael mumbled. "Pittsburgh," he grumbled to Brian. Ben winked at Brian then led his partner away.

"I guess that's it," Brian smirked. His whole cwazy family would join him and Justin for Rage right here in the Pitts.

"Dad?"

"Hey, Gus."

"Dad, can I go to the movie too? I've never been allowed to read the comic. Justin's showed me some stuff but I'm too young to read the whole comic."

"Gus, the movie is rated PG-13, you'll be fine and I, we, want you there. The theater has special box seats and they're all reserved for the family. You'll be sitting with me and Justin."

"Thanks, Pop!" Gus threw himself into his father's arms for a hug before leaving with his mothers.

That night, back at the cottage, Brian grew very quiet. All the renovations were complete. The bowling alley would officially open for business the following day. Already a number of schools and amateur bowling leagues had signed up to reserve dates and lanes to hold practices and tournaments. The luncheonette would be open for business and the arcade was ready for hordes of kids. And the theater was ready for Rage. John, Bobby and Patrick went back to their own cottage. Life would return to normal.

"Bri?"

"Hmm?"

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Brian..."

"I miss them."

"John and Bobby?"

"Yeah and Patrick."

"I miss them too. Are you considering his idea about combining the cottages?"

"As far-fetched as it sounds, I am. I love our peaceful life but..."

"You love being close to them."

"Yeah."

"I do too. We've all grown so close. And we have the land."

"Yes, we do."

"Then you should talk to John."

"You mean it?"

"I mean it. I love you, you know."

"I know."