- Text Size +

 

All the Rage

Chapter 14

The day before the opening of Rage: The Movie, Brian Kinney was in full PR mode. He stood outside the renovated theater watching the strobe lights being mounted atop the building. They would arc through the evening sky drawing all the lucky people who had tickets to the premiere of the film in Pittsburgh.

Another crew was polishing the brass fixtures in the entranceway to the theater. The red carpet would arrive the following morning. Life size posters of Rage and JT and Zephyr stood in the overhang. They would be moved out to the front of the building before the VIP's started arriving. Brian smiled. Everything was going like clockwork just the way he liked it.

Brett Keller and Paul Thomas and their entourages would arrive later that day and the last minute details would be worked out. Brian had arranged for lots of press to cover their arrival. Most of the limos in Pittsburgh had been hired to transport the glittering special people who would attend the premiere.

Brian pulled out his phone and hit a number.

"Cynthia, did you get those hotel reservations sorted out?"

"All set. Brett and Paul each have a suite and their minions have all been assigned rooms."

"That's good. Trust that asshole Keller to change the number of people coming with him at the last moment."

"Don't sweat it. It's all taken care of."

"I never sweat it. Keller could sit in his bloody limo for the whole time he's here for all I care."

Cynthia chuckled. "Just heard from a couple more publications that will be there tomorrow night."

"Excellent. Everything is falling into place."

"Thanks to the hand of the master."

Brian smiled. "I'll be back at Kinnetik in an hour or so. You can reach me on my cell if anything comes up in the meantime."

Brian cut the connection. He glanced at his phone and hit number one. It rang a couple of times before a voice answered.

"Hey."

"Hey, yourself," Brian replied with a smile on his face.

"How's everything going at the theater?"

"Right on schedule."

"Great! Do you know what time Brett gets in?"

"His plane lands around five today."

"Do you think I should come into the city to meet him?"

"Damn right you should! I'm not taking him to dinner by myself."

"Okay, I'll be there," Justin laughed. "I'll drop Bree off with Mom and meet you at the loft around six."

"It's a date," Brian grinned.

"I remember when you hated that word."

"Some things do change, and dates with you are one of my guilty pleasures." Brian felt his face flush at the admission, but he didn't care. Justin was what made his life perfect. "Wear something dazzling."

"You don't have to compete with Brett, you know."

"I know, but he always has that superior attitude."

"And you like nothing better than showing him up."

"I'll see you at six," Brian said.

He put away his phone and went to reprimand the assholes who were moving the life size posters of Rage without a thought in the world to the fact that they were paper and could easily be damaged by their careless handling of them. He would have everything perfect for Keller and the star of their movie. After tonight no one would think of Pittsburgh as a cultural backwater.

*****

Brian pulled up in front of Pappagano's. He adjusted his tie and looked over at Justin. "Nervous?" he asked.

"No, You?"

Brian snorted. "Never."

They got out of the car and handed the keys to the valet.

"Do you think they're already here?" Justin asked.

"Damn well better be. I'm the one who's always fashionably late."

Justin smiled and slid his hand into Brian's. "Let's go."

They walked into the restaurant causing more than one head to turn. Brian surveyed the room with that arrogant look of his. The maitre d' hustled over and welcomed them.

"Is our party here?" Brian asked.

"Yes, Mr. Kinney, they arrived about ten minutes ago."

Brian smiled. He had them now. He allowed the maitre d' to lead them through the restaurant. He could see heads turning as they went by. They had a table in the back corner where four people were already sitting. Paul Thomas had brought his girlfriend, a beautiful young starlet, and Brett had some pretty woman sitting next to him.

"Guess they decided to go all hetero," Brian whispered.

"Well, Paul is, but Brett…" Justin said as they approached the table.

"Brian, Justin," Brett said standing up. He did the introductions and they all sat down.

"I see you got drinks," Brian said. "I hope they've been looking after you."

"Excellent service so far," Paul said.

"They wouldn't give us menus, said you had ordered something special," Brett added.

"I took the liberty. This restaurant has a salad that is to die for and their chicken Wellington just blows me away. I hope that was all right," Brian said looking around daring anyone to contradict him.

"There was a chorus of, "Sounds great. Oh, that sounds delicious. I can hardly wait."

Brian signaled to the waiter who brought more drinks. When the wine steward arrived, Brian ordered a red and a white so people could have their pick. He was in his element orchestrating everything that happened.

The dinner went off without a hitch. Even Brett had to admit that the food was excellent. Paul and his girlfriend raved. As dessert and coffee were selected, Brian allowed his group to make their own choices. He ordered a port and offered it to everyone as well.

The conversation turned to the film. Paul brought up the fact that the buzz in Hollywood was very positive. The public seemed to be very interested in the contest to win tickets to the premiere. The winners were featured on TV in L.A. Brian smiled knowingly. His promotion techniques had paid off. Now if only Brett had done justice to the film.

"I heard that you had restored the old theater where the film is being shown," Brett said.

"Actually my brother did most of the restoration," Brian replied.

"Your brother? Couldn't you find a real restorer in Pittsburgh?"

Justin reached out and rested his hand on Brian's arm. He could see Brian seething beneath his smooth façade. "My brother is an excellent restorer and architect. I think you'll be mesmerized by the theater," Brian said through clenched teeth. "And then there's Justin's frescoes."

"Oh, that's right, you're an artist," Paul's girlfriend said.

"And the creator of Rage," Brian added looking pointedly at Brett.

"I can hardly wait to see the theater," Paul said with a smile. "I love old buildings."

"Then this will be your cup of tea," Brian said.

"I think you'll both love what we've done with it," Justin said finally releasing Brian's arm.

"I'd like another port," Brett said.

Brian signaled the waiter and another glass appeared almost instantly. He had to smile at the prompt service. He had made his wishes known to the owner and they had certainly come through for him. Of course, the fact that he had fucked most of the staff didn't hurt either.

By the time they walked out of the restaurant Brett was feeling no pain and Paul had thoroughly enjoyed himself.

"I think having the premiere here where Rage was created was a stroke of genius," Paul said. "There's as much talk about that in Hollywood as there is about the premiere out there."

Brian nodded and soaked up the praise. He had known he was right about the PR, but it was always nice to have that proven to all and sundry.

"That's our Brian, a fucking genius," Brett said somewhat drunkenly.

"Looks like it's time to get everyone back to the hotel," Paul said as their limo finally pulled up. They all climbed in with assurances of meeting promptly for the premiere the following evening.

"That went … not bad," Brian said with a smirk.

"I'd say you won," Justin chuckled as they climbed into their car.

"Won?"

"When you make Brett Keller get drunk to avoid listening to everyone sing your praises, I'd say you won."

Brian snorted. "I don't need to win over that ass. I already know I'm better than him. But it doesn't hurt to prove it to him," Brian grinned.

"Let's go the loft," Justin whispered. "I want to fuck the new power player."

Brian's grin was spread all over his face all the way home.

*****

This was it; this was the day of reckoning for Brian, Justin, Michael, and Rage. All of Pittsburgh would be watching, sending its ripples all the way back to Hollywood. If Rage failed in his hometown, he would never recover.

It was arranged for the family and community leaders to arrive early to partake in a private celebration. Emmett had set up a special buffet in the theater's lobby then John, along with Justin and the lead consultant from PIFA would host a tour to point out the renovations and special highlights of the theater including the enormous crystal chandelier and the restored frescoes. Paul Thomas was extended an invitation since he expressed an appreciation for 'old buildings'. Brett was also given an invitation but Brian knew the asshole wouldn't take him up on it, preferring to make his grand entrance at the opening. Paul came, and after he'd slip out to make his entrance.

The family listened intently to John and Justin; even the mayor was impressed. He remarked how the whole neighborhood and city would benefit from the entire project, which included the clinic. Hunter declined photos with the mayor. He did not want the publicity to deter any potential clinic patrons. He was afraid they might be intimidated by Hunter's new notoriety. Instead, he settled for a handshake and a "well done, my boy."

Brian was dressed to impress and practically glowing as his brother and Justin worked the room. John may not have been at ease when it came to making speeches but when it came to discussing architecture, he could certainly hold anyone's attention. Bobby beamed at his spouse.

The family was given the choice of proceeding directly to their box seats or they could make the grand entrance with the rest of the honored guests. So, naturally they all followed Brian as he went out a side entrance and around to the front to walk the red carpet. The mayor himself was going to cut the ribbon with Rage and his creators. At the appointed time, they all took their places at the front entrance as the mayor made his speech.

"Ladies, Gentlemen, honored guests and fans of Rage!" Cheers erupted from the crowd when the mayor mentioned Rage. "It is my extreme pleasure to officiate at this opening of Rage: The Movie and the opening of the grand old and newly restored theater. May they both have a long run!" The crowd whooped and applauded as the mayor cut the ribbon and the doors opened.

The camera flashes went off like firecrackers as the mayor, Paul Thomas and Brett Keller were escorted into the theater and unbeknownst to them, by Hunter's 'lost boys.' Karen and Bill accompanied Hunter and Nick into the theater, each clapping Hunter on the back; his lost kids weren't lost anymore. Even Lacy showed up with Frankie and his father.

When everyone was seated, the overhead lights dimmed then went off leaving only the crystal chandelier shining proud. John could hear gasps and murmurs of appreciation. Gordon leaned over to his friend, "We did good, boss," he whispered into John's ear. John nodded. Then the theater went dark.

In one of the dressing rooms that Brian had chosen to be his refuge from the noise and crowd, Brian was pacing. He was nervous as a virgin at his first orgy. He didn't need to see the movie; he had lived through most of it. The thought of seeing JT bashed on the big screen was too much for him to bear. He was content to wait out the two hours backstage. Thank the gods, Emmett had anticipated all his needs and had set up a cooler with Brian's favorite bottled water. Brian thought he could drink a river and still feel parched. Halfway through the movie, Michael came backstage to find Brian.

"Hey, why are you hiding back here? The movie's great," Michael asked of his oldest and dearest friend.

"I can't watch. I have the DVD Brett sent us. I'll watch it at home."

"It can't compare to the big screen."

Brian just waved his hands at the remark.

"The memories of that night still hurt, after all this time?"

Brian nodded almost imperceptively. Then Brian had a horrible thought.

"Justin," Brian gasped.

"He's fine. Ma's with him and Jenn and Claire."

"They must think I'm a shit."

"No, they don't and neither does Justin. They all remember that night a little differently. Only I remember how you looked when I found you at the hospital. Justin, he still doesn't remember most of it."

"Thank the gods. I have that pleasure all to myself," Brian whispered.

Michael crossed to his friend and gave him a strong embrace. The friends clung onto each other.

"I love you," Michael whispered into Brian's chest.

"I love you too, always have, always will." They stayed together locked in their embrace until the movie had ended.

Brian pushed Michael back a little so he could look into the warm brown eyes.

"You missed the ending," Brian quipped.

"I know the ending. Fuck, I wrote the ending!" Michael laughed.

"Yeah, you did, didn't you?" Brian laughed back.

Then all of a sudden the theater began to quake as the audience stood to give Rage an ovation.

"I guess they liked it," Michael said nonchalantly.

"What's not to like? Rage is very likeable," Brian stated confidently as he stretched out his arms.

"Asshole," Michael snarked.

"Come on, Zephyr. I think Emmett is going to introduce us."

"Ready when you are, Rage!" The best of friends linked arms and walked out to the wings of the stage.

As the ending credits were rolling the chandelier's light began to glow and then a spot light lit a corner of the stage. Emmett, master chef and showman, stood with a microphone.

"Fans of Rage," Emmett began, "I'd like to introduce the makers of Rage: The Movie."

More cheers reverberated throughout the theater as Paul Thomas and Brett Keller were introduced. Brett commandeered the mike and went off on his take of the making of Rage, but he was gracious and wise enough to give credit where credit was due. He then passed the mike over to Paul, who, after his applause grew quiet, thanked the fans of Rage, and Brett, for giving him the opportunity to play this unique superhero. When he finished his humble speech, there was more applause then he bowed and passed the mike back to Emmett.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I have the distinct pleasure of introducing you all to the real creators of Rage and the inspiration for JT, Zephyr, and of course, Rage."

There was a sudden and collective intake of air as the whole theater realized that their beloved characters were real, and not just ink and paper.

"Michael Novotny! The writer and creator of the story of Rage and you may recognize him as Zephyr." Michael got screams and resounding applause as he walked across the stage and took a bow.

"Justin Taylor! The artistic genius who brings life to Rage and his sidekick. You may also know him as JT." The crowd went wild as Justin, JT, the object of Rage's affection glided across the stage to take his bow and his place next to Michael.

"And now, our dear fans of Rage, the man himself, the real Rage and without him, none of this would be possible. Hold on to your seats boys and girls, Rage is here. Brian Kinney!"

The theater erupted in deafening applause and cheers as Brian sauntered across the stage looking so much like his alter ego. The ageless Brian fucking Kinney took a curt bow then swept his JT up into his strong arms. The crowd went wild.

"Thank you all!" Emmett called out through the mike. "And good night. Long live Rage!"

*****

In the ballroom of the hotel where Brett and Paul were staying, a special gala was set up to celebrate the opening. The contest winners were treated to dinner, dancing and autographs from Paul and Brett. Many of the fans brought their comics to have signed and of course, they all wanted the autographs of the real Rage, JT and Zephyr. Gus beamed with pride as his dad signed comic after comic without a grumble. He giggled as Brian was forced to put on his Rage face time and time again. Again the cameras went off as the fans stood in line to have pictures taken with Rage the man and Rage the actor. Even John was asked to pose with his look-a-like brother. The movie promised to be a huge success. And a fantastic time was had by all!

Bobby's phone vibrated in his pocket and he went to find a quiet corner to answer.

Rachel was looking after Patrick and Briana, and knew to call him if they were needed.

"Hello?"

"Ola, Senor Bobby?"

"Si, this is Bobby. Who is this?"

"Senor Bobby, it is Miguel."

"Miguel? Edna's Miguel?"

"Si, yes. Mister Bobby, my English, not so good."

"It's okay, Miguel, I understand you. Why are you calling?"

"My lady, Senora Edna, she has gone to her beloved husband."

"What? Um, que?"

"Miss Edna has died, three days ago, in her sleep. Very peaceful. She wanted you and Senors Brian, Juan and Justin to know."

"Oh Miguel, I am so, so sorry. Is there something we can do for you? We all loved her so much."

"Si, I know this. Can you come to the hacienda?"

"Yes, yes. I'm not sure when but some of us will come as soon as we can."

"Gracias, Mister Bobby. Miss Edna left you many things. Please come when you can."

"We will, and I'm so sorry Miguel. We will miss her."

"Si, Mister Bobby, I will also miss her."

The connection was lost and Bobby stood not knowing what to do. John watched as Bobby walked back into the ballroom to rejoin the party.

"What is it, baby? Are the kids okay?" John asked, seeing the look of anguish on his partner's face.

"They're fine, a client … I'll tell you all about it later, at the loft."

"Okay, if you're sure." John kissed Bobby's flaming red hair and gave him a little squeeze.

"I'm sure. Let's go rescue Rage; he's been ravished by the hordes." Bobby chuckled at the sight of Brian surrounded by his overzealous fans.

"Brother and brother-in-law of Rage to the rescue," John laughed as they went to Brian's side.

TBC ???

The End.
SabinaThymeSunshine is the author of 78 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked All The Rage. also liked 591 other stories.
This story is part of the series, The Sunshine Files . The previous story in the series is Bad As New. The next story in the series is Should Old Acquaintance .