- Text Size +

 

All the Rage

Chapter 4

Before the household was awake, Brian was up, showered, dressed and making breakfast. Today, John and Justin were heading for the Pitts and Bobby to Harrisburg. Brian had decided he'd try to work from home this week and take care of the kids. Last night he had convinced Justin that he was capable of caring for the two children but in the light of day, he was losing his nerve. He might require back-up, so he made a few calls before waking Briana and Patrick.

The two little ones were sharing Bree's crib; they were still small enough. Brian stood over them watching their peaceful sleep; a soft smile graced his face. Aside from Gus, they were the most beautiful and precious things he had ever beheld. Patrick's shocking red hair was growing more and more like Bobby's while Briana's hair took on more of the golden strawberry blond like Molly. The two had plenty of room in Briana's queen-sized crib, yet the babies appeared to find comfort in sleeping close. The sleep of the innocent. Brian could only imagine that Justin had looked like that as a child. He silently mourned the loss of that innocence. If Brian knew then what he knew now, he would have done more to preserve that innocence in his husband before he and Chris Hobbs had robbed Justin of it.

Brian shook the old bad thoughts from his brain and reached in for Bree to waken her and clean her up. In a few moments, John came in to tend to his son. The brothers shared a few quiet minutes, each counting their blessings, knowing how differently their lives would have been if not for their partners and their children.

John and Brian had the kids sitting in their respective high chairs eating breakfast, when Justin and Bobby came to join them.

"Brian, are you sure you want to do this? I can at least take Patrick to Claire's on my way to Harrisburg," Bobby offered to his brother-in-law.

"No, I want to do this. Look, I'll admit, and out loud, that I'm not sure if I can cope for the whole day. I really do need to spend some time going over the Rage PR before Brett's peons ruin the whole thing. But I won't be able to do any work on it until later on due to the time difference. So the kids and I will spend the morning together outside. It's still fairly warm. We can do a little gardening or digging, as the case may be and then later Claire will come by to have lunch and spend the afternoon. I'll ease my way into full baby-sitting duty gradually. Will that satisfy you all?"

Brian scanned the faces of the adults and saw the three of them visibly relax. They all appeared to find his compromise acceptable. After breakfast, everyone was duly kissed and sent on their way. John and Justin drove into Pittsburgh together while Bobby headed for Harrisburg.

Brian dressed the children in warm jackets and they were off to the shed to get out their gardening tools. Small plastic buckets and spades were loaded up in a wheelbarrow as well as an adult sized shovel for Brian. Brian set a big bag of soil in the barrow as well as several ornamental cabbages that were slated to edge the front path. Then he lifted each child, set them on top of the sack of soil and they were off. Brian wheeled the laughing children around the yard and then to the front of the house. Each child was given her/his own bucket, spade, clump of dirt and plant. Brian watched the determination on the faces of the kids and chuckled as Bree was giving her cousin a lesson in "gar-gar." So far, this parenting thing wasn't half bad.

*****

JKCDC Diary 10/9/13

Hi Diary;

Some more good news for Frankie and his dad; Frankie has started working on his GED and is showing a lot of aptitude for computers. Frankie's decided that after he gets his diploma, he wants to enroll in a technical school. He's quite the geek. Frankie is still not prepared to give up his job next door but he has decided to move back home. I've set up a course of family counseling sessions for them with Karen. Professor Thomas is very relieved but he's having some trouble coping, on several levels. He needs to come to terms with his son being gay and formerly a hustler, but he loves Frankie and hasn't rejected him. It's a brand new start for both of them.

The computers from Kinnetik were delivered and Ted had the Geek Squad come in to set them all up. They're practically new and will come in handy.

It's been quiet around here, construction-wise. The whole building was sand blasted and now the masons are giving the outside of the building a makeover. Terry is actually happy. He said that selling the building and the business was the best move he ever made. Apparently Brian made him a great deal and as a salaried employee he can afford better health care and time off. Terry never had that opportunity before. He's taking more pride in the place and it's paying off. It's business as usual for the bathhouse; it's a bathhouse for crying out loud, but the clients love it.

I gotta go, another new face just walked in.

*****

"John, am I finally going to see inside the theater? I've heard the buzz through the PIFA grapevine and I can't wait to see it."

John and Justin were pulling up into the alley close to the theater and Justin was practically bouncing with nervous energy.

"Yes, Justin. Today is the day. We've had to take our time in there. The haz-mat team needed to make sure there was no left over asbestos and the restoration crew wanted to go over everything with a fine tooth comb. Somehow, most of the ornate decorations have survived. I'm surprised that the place wasn't vandalized years ago. The crystal chandelier alone is worth thousands."

"Wow!"

"Yeah, wow. Gordy says all it needs is a good cleaning and rewiring and its light will again shine."

"You sound almost in love."

"I am. I'm an architect and a builder. These old theaters were once prized, held in reverence by their community. I love their classic, elegant design. Modern buildings are so sterile, lifeless at times. It will be a thrill to see this one restored."

"Thank you."

"For what?"

"For letting me help."

"Justin, not only are you a wonderful and creative artist but you have a knack for interior design. I want to see this building through your eyes. But..."

"But what?"

"Am I taking you away from your art? Don't you have a show to work on?"

"No, I don't. Now that my name is out there, Sidney wants to hold back a little, not flood the market as he put it. I'm still painting but the next move is to wait for the Rage movie and then strike after that. So, I'm free as a bird for now. And I need the time to recharge. All that crap with the family and the stupid rumors knocked me out for a while."

John nodded with understanding. He knew how upset Justin was and disappointed that he and Brian had to prove themselves, again, for the family. But that was all water under the bridge.

"Come on; Gordon's waiting for us. I want to have a look at the stage. It's one of the last places to explore. And I saved it for us!" John said with a bright smile that almost rivaled Justin's.

John and Justin went into the old theater. Both men were wide-eyed as the bright work lights lit the whole place. Many of Justin's old professors were there with the latest class of students who were majoring in restoration. Justin went to greet some of his former professors as John checked in with Gordon and the rest of his crew. Justin was introduced to the present class of PIFA who were just as excited with meeting one of the university's most famous alumni as they were with being chosen to assist with the restoration. The whole theater was abuzz with workmen and restorers. John and Justin made their way to the stage.

Pointing out some of the theater's more fascinating features, John and Justin made their way center stage.

"Here, look up; you can get a great view of the chandelier," John said as he pointed toward the ceiling. "We'll be taking it down later on in the week as soon as we remove the seats. We're going to try to keep as much of the original fittings as possible."

Justin remained silent as he listened to the excitement in John's voice as John told him the plan of attack. They were approaching the apron of the stage when John felt the old not-maintained flooring give way. Justin instinctively reached out as John went feet first down through the boards. Off balance, Justin toppled in and landed on John.

"John! Are you hurt?" Justin attempted to scream but had the wind knocked out of him when he landed on John's chest. His cries came out in a whimper.

"Only my pride and they'll be pulling out a shitload of splinters from my back and my ass. But I don't think I'm hurt. I've taken worse tumbles than this. How about you? You hurt?"

Justin took a mental inventory of all his parts.

"No, but I think I twisted my ankle."

"You didn't hurt your arm or your head?" John knew about Justin's injuries from the bashing and prayed nothing was re-injured.

"No." Justin's voice came out like a sniffle. John knew Justin was scared and the cold dank and dampness of under the stage was probably throwing Justin into shock. John protectively curled his arms around the younger man to keep him warm and to comfort him.

"Don't worry; we'll be out of here shortly. If I know Gordon, he's already called for an ambulance."

"No, no hospitals," Justin whimpered against John's chest.

"Shush, just as a precaution," John reassured the young man.

"Brian. I want..."

"I know. We'll call him. Stay still; try to relax. We'll be out of here soon."

Just then Gordon, John's right-hand man and second in command was peering through the hole.

"Hey, Johnny! You okay, man? Still in one piece?" Gordon and John had worked together for over twenty years. They were a well oiled machine, following certain procedures in case of accidents.

"We're all right, Gordy," John called up. "Just a little scared and cold. I'm an idiot. I should have examined under here first before traipsing across the stage. I bet termites and wood worms have had a field day in here."

"Yeah, well, at least you found out which boards we need to replace," Gordon chuckled, trying to lighten the mood. "Help is on the way as we speak. Don't move," Gordon instructed.

"I know the drill and we're in no immediate danger, but Gordy..."

"Got it covered, pal. Calls noted and placed. Hang tough. You'll be up and outta there in no time."

John felt Justin snuggle into his chest as John began to pet Justin's back and whisper words of comfort into the blond's ear.

*****

Claire had joined Brian and the children not long after John, Justin and Bobby had left for work. She found them all in the front yard busy planting and having a great time of it. Claire was so impressed that she picked up a shovel and started to help. Claire felt her cell phone in her jacket pocket start to vibrate. She let herself into the house to answer the phone in private.

"Okay, Gordon, I understand and thank you for calling me first. I'm with Brian and the children. I'll call Bobby. Bobby and Brian will meet you at the hospital. I'll stay here with the children. You take care of John and Justin for me."

Over the years, Gordon and Claire had an understanding. In the event of an accident she was the first to be notified. Her level-headedness was a god-send when it came to notifying spouses of John's crew of an accident. Not that there were many but sometimes shit happened. Even when it involved her son, Claire remained calm. The tone of Gordon's voice was proof enough that it was only a minor accident. But now she had the gruesome task of informing two of Pennsylvania's biggest drama queens that their spouses lay hurt on the basement floor of the theater. Claire took a deep breath to prepare herself.

"Bobby Morrison."

"Bobby, sweetheart, I need you to come to Brian's right now."

"Oh no, Claire. Did something happen to the kids? Did big bad Brian get outdone by toddlers?"

"No, dear. The children and Brian are fine. Your husband on the other hand, had a little accident at the theater. You and Brian will have to go to Pittsburgh. Now, I'm not going to say anything to Brian just yet. He'll just fly into protective mode and want to drive to Pittsburgh by himself. Just get here soon and I'll explain everything."

"I'm on my way. Claire..."

"He's fine and so is Justin but John'll be madder than a wet cat and blaming himself for the accident. Now come here, but drive carefully."

"Yes, ma'am."

*****

Within the hour Bobby Morrison was pulling up in front of the Kinney/Taylor cottage. He hastily parked his car then raced up the path and into the house.

"Hey Bobby, why are you home?" Brian looked at his harried brother-in-law and then at Claire. Something was not right. Brian's eyebrows shot straight up then his eyes narrowed. Brian began to glare at Claire.

"What's going on?" Brian growled out.

"Brian, I need you to sit and stay calm. Bobby, you sit down too."

"Claire..." Brian began but was immediately cut off but Claire's raised hand.

"Sit, both of you and listen. John and Justin had a little accident at the theater about an hour or so ago." Claire looked at her watch as she began her speech. "I received a call from Gordon; that's John's assistant," Claire explained to Brian. "John was showing the theater to Justin when some rotten boards gave way and they fell through."

Brian shot up and began racing around getting his jacket and stuffing his wallet into his pocket.

"What are we waiting for? We have to go there!" Brian shouted in panic.

"Brian! Slow down! I know you want to go and you will in a few minutes. Justin wasn't hurt badly, just a twisted ankle. More frightened than anything else, and John feels like he has buckshot in his behind but he's fine too. They'll be at Allegheny General by the time you get to Pittsburgh."

Brian and Bobby allowed Claire's words to sink in.

"Brian, let's go; I'll drive." Brian nodded. He and Bobby went to check on the children who were taking a nap after their hard work in the garden. Kissing both kids as they slept, Brian and Bobby left the nursery, kissed Claire and drove off to Pittsburgh in silence.

*****

Hearing the sirens and commotion coming from the street, Hunter left the clinic and went outside just in time to see John and Justin being loaded up into the ambulances. He ran to ask one of the workmen what was going on. He relaxed when he was told that they weren't seriously hurt but they were going to the hospital to be checked out. Hunter ran back to the clinic to alert the family and then went to the hospital.

By the time Brian and Bobby arrived at Allegheny, half the Liberty Avenue family had been informed of the accident. Hurricane Brian stormed into emergency, demanding to see Justin. Bobby, taking a more subtle approach, quietly asked about John and Justin and each man was lead to their respective spouses.

John was lying on his stomach, his back and buttocks prepped with a disinfectant and the splinters being removed. Bobby found a stool and sat at the head of the gurney as the PA carefully removed each splinter. John remained stoic but relieved that Bobby was there to hold his hand.

In another cubicle, Brian found Justin laying on his own gurney with his ankle wrapped up with an ice pack. The Orthopedic resident was waiting for the results of his x-rays before applying a soft cast to Justin's ankle.

"Justin!" Brian managed to squeak out.

"Brian!" Justin replied, then held out his arms. Brian immediately climbed onto the gurney carefully maneuvering behind his husband, drawing Justin into his arms. Keeping his leg still, Justin twisted slightly to accept the thousands of kisses Brian feathered onto his face.

"I love you, I love you, I love you," Brian whispered over and over to his boy and held him tightly to his chest. Justin snuffled as his shock and fear were chased away by Brian's strong embrace. Neither man was aware of the resident when he came in, removed the ice pack, wrapped Justin's ankle and then applied the soft cast. A few minutes later, a nurse came in with a stockinette, special shoe and crutches.

Within a few hours of the mishap, the Kinney/Taylor, Anderson/Morrison family were on their way back to the cottage.