- Text Size +

 

All the Rage

Chapter 6

To: hotassartist@yahell.com

From: xhustlermsw@jkcdc.org

Hey Blondie;

When are you going to get off your fat ass and come back to the Pitts? John says the cast is off and you're walking with a fancy smancy cane that the studman got for you.

Seriously, Justin, I have a big favor to ask you. A new kid came into the clinic this week. Lacy came in all beat up; I think a john got rough. Lacy refused to let me look at the bruises so I got one of the nurses from Allegheny to come by. We discovered something real interesting. I thought Lacy was a HE...he's a SHE. She's passing herself off as a boy and doing tricks. The nurse says she wasn't raped and refused the rape kit. The best I could do was to get her into the shower, some clean clothes and a couple of hot meals.

It took a few days for Lacy to trust me. But when she did I found out that she likes to draw. She was doodling on some paper and the stuff reminded me of Rage. When I questioned her about it she confided that Rage and you are her heroes. Justin, would you stop by and look at her stuff. I know she has to finish high school. Truthfully I don't even know her age. She looks very young and has a boyish figure. Maybe you can get her to talk.

Think about it.

Bye, Blondie!

To: xhustlermsw@jkcdc.org

From: hotassartist@yahell.com

Hey Hunter;

I'm coming in tomorrow with John and of course I'll stop by the clinic to meet Lacy. See you then.

And stop calling me Blondie!

*****

JKCDC Diary 10/15/13

Justin's coming tomorrow and maybe Lacy will confide in him. I can't seem to get her to talk to me.

Got some great news today that will really help me out. I've been putting in a lot of hours and I'm getting tired. I don't want to burn out before I can do some good down here. Karen has consented to move her office here! I certainly have the room. She'll be the day shift and I'll be here in the afternoon till about midnight. She told me that being so close to the courts can be intimidating to some of her clients. We're still close enough if she has to testify but she says the parking is easier and it's more laid back. She's a tough lady and our neighbors will look out for her. I can't wait. She said her lease was running out in her offices and the rent was going up. It's a good deal for the both of us. And maybe she can help Lacy.

Some more good news. Emmett and Ben have been spending some time here too. Emmett rallied some of the local clothing merchants and they've donated a lot of clothes. Leave it to Emmett to make sure my 'lost kids' are fashionable lost kids. Many of them are in rags when they show up. We can't salvage their clothes. So I have closets and drawers filled with new or good as new clothes and sneakers. I hated being out there without a warm coat or gloves. Sometimes I thought I'd never get warm again.

Ben wants to do some volunteering. He's been living with HIV longer than me; he's living proof that it can be done. And I missed him and Michael so much. It'll be good to spend time with him.

Got to go, Lacy just walked in. She looks so tired. Maybe I can get her to take a nap.

*****

Anderson Construction Work Log 10/15/2013

While I was out of commission, Gordon and crew took out all of the theater seating. With a little research, we can match the original red velvet upholstery. The chandelier comes down next.

Justin's coming with me tomorrow. I hope he's forgiven me. I hope Brian's forgiven me. I know they don't blame me but I blame me. I can't seem to forgive myself. I was careless, so taken in by my excitement. I won't let that happen again.

*****

"Brian, will you stop hovering," Justin said as he got dressed.

"I don't think you should go back to that theater. Look what happened last time."

"It was a freak accident. I'll be fine. John will be with me."

"And John's still picking splinters out of his fucking ass!" Brian declared.

Justin tried not to laugh. "John's ass is fine. All healed, and so's my ankle … almost."

"No, you're not going."

"Brian, queen out! Calm the fuck down."

"You don't have to do this. John can find someone else to evaluate what should be done with the inside of the theater."

"I'm well aware that he can find someone else, but I don't want him to. I want to do this."

Brian shook his head. He was losing the battle and he was worried that if he didn't shut the fuck up, he would make Justin seriously angry at him. However, he couldn't stop himself. "Then I'm coming with you," he stated.

"Brian, for Christ's sake, I'm not two years old. I'm not a baby like Bree. You're staying here and looking after the kids, and I'm going to Pittsburgh with John. End of discussion."

Brian looked like a sad little boy who had just lost his puppy. "I'll miss you. Be careful."

"You know I will," Justin said gently running his fingers along Brian's cheek.

Brian caught his hand and kissed the palm. He pulled Justin against him. "I'll worry," he whispered.

"I'll call you every couple of hours, I promise."

"You fucking better."

Justin smiled. "Now, can I have some breakfast so I don't starve to death before we get to the theater?"

"Okay, if you must," Brian said tongue in cheek. He knew he had to let Justin go, but it had been worth a shot to try to keep him safe at the cottage.

They made their way out to the kitchen where John and Bobby were feeding the kids. They were all enjoying frozen waffles that Bobby was toasting for them. Bree sat in her high chair picking up little pieces of waffle covered with syrup. Her mouth and all surrounding regions were covered in the sweet, sticky substance.

Justin leaned down to kiss her. "Yum, you taste so good," Justin told her licking some of the syrup off her face.

Bree giggled and smiled back at her father with his own smile. She watched Brian pour himself a cup of coffee and sit down at the table. She frowned and raised her arms for him to pick her up or at least kiss her. Brian ignored her lost in his own thoughts about how Justin would get through the day without getting hurt again.

"Someone's trying to get your attention," John said to Brian.

"Hm."

"Brian, what's wrong? She wants a kiss."

"Far too fattening for me," Brian observed in a dispassionate manner.

"Brian?" John asked again frowning at his brother and wondering what the hell had got into the man. Everyone knew that Bree was the apple of his eye.

"He's worrying about me falling through a floor or off some scaffolding," Justin said as he retrieved his waffle from the toaster.

"Scaffolding! You are not fucking going up on scaffolding!" Brian declared.

"No, I'm not. I was making a point. Do you see what I've been putting up with ever since the alarm went off?" Justin asked as he covered his waffle in syrup.

Bobby chuckled. "They'll be fine," he said to Brian. "I have John's word on it."

Brian snorted as he watched Bree's face scrunch up ready to cry. "She's about to blow," he said smugly as he sat back and watched his daughter let out a blood curdling scream.

"She wants her father even if he is a fucking asshole this morning," Justin said picking Bree out of her high chair and trying to soothe her. She whimpered against his shoulder holding her little hands out to her other father and opening and closing them in a way that could only mean she wanted his attention.

"Brian!" Bobby said looking at Brian like he had suddenly grown another head or turned into someone none of them knew.

Brian stared at Bree for a minute and then the hard façade dropped from his face. "Come here, Squirt," he said softly taking her from Justin's arms. "It's okay, little one," he whispered against her hair as she clung to his neck. "Daddy's been in a foul mood this morning. I'm sorry."

Bree leaned back looking into her father's face, her own eyes sparkling with tears. "Dada," she said as she pressed her face against Brian's.

"I know, baby, I've been bad," Brian cooed.

"Let's go clean up Patrick," Bobby said leading his husband and son out of the kitchen and leaving the Kinney-Taylor tribe alone.

"Brian, are you going to be all right?" Justin asked as he sat down beside Brian and Bree.

Brian held Bree's little face against his own. "I'll be all right if you are," Brian whispered.

"I'll be fine. Nothing's going to happen to me."

"Promise?"

"I promise," Justin said. "Are you up to handling both kids on your own today?" Justin was concerned that Brian's meltdown would make him less able to withstand a whole day of toddlers.

"We'll be fine, won't we, Bree?" Brian said.

Bree pulled her sticky face away from her father's and looked into his eyes. She patted his face as if to say that she would be a good girl just for him.

Justin leaned down and kissed Brian's lips softly. He licked a little of the syrup off Brian's cheek.

Brian chuckled. "Didn't you get enough syrup on your waffles?"

"It's you that I never get enough of," Justin whispered.

"I'll be here when you get home."

"Hold that thought," Justin replied as he kissed the top of Bree's head.

"Don't be late."

"I won't."

Brian stood up still holding Bree and walked Justin to the front door where they met John and Bobby and Patrick. Brian took Patrick's hand as the other men made their way out to their vehicles. Brian waved Bree's hand as the cars started down the drive. Patrick waved to his fathers.

"Well, guys, do you think we can get through a whole day of being together without having another crisis?"

Patrick looked up at Brian. "Sure," he said.

Brian smiled and looked at his daughter for confirmation.

"Sur," she mimicked Patrick.

Brian kissed her cheek and they went back inside to clean up the mess from breakfast. Brian was less worried about looking after the kids on his own than he was about what might happen to Justin in Pittsburgh. He'd give them a couple of hours and then he was calling if he didn't hear from Justin first.

*****

"Wow! This place looks huge without the seats," Justin remarked to John as they went into the theater. The scaffolding was up along the walls to get to the ornate cornices and moldings and in the middle of the theater to reach the chandelier, which was coming down piece by piece. "This is so amazing. How will you remember how to put it all back together again?"

"We've taken pictures of how it looked before we started removing it and we have a lighting specialist and someone who specializes in antique crystal. Each piece is tagged, numbered and catalogued," John said proudly.

"Wow! You've thought of everything. This must be a very expensive undertaking."

"Under ordinary circumstances, I'd agree with you but these aren't ordinary circumstances."

"What do you mean?" Justin asked, very curious and wondering if Brian was going to be broke again. John saw the look on Justin's face and chuckled.

"Don't worry, we're not sending my brother to the poor house. Not yet, anyway. We have several contributors to the restoration of this theater. First, many local businesses have donated to the clinic and to the restoration of the entire street. They've recognized the advantages of having this part of town cleaned up and contributing revenue to the area. Secondly, we have the local historical society who discovered what we're doing. They want to make this theater a stop on one of their tours. They have suggested and introduced me to many artisans and experts in this type of restoration. We've applied for government grants that will cover much of the costs. And of course, we have the folks from PIFA. Many of the professors are experts in their chosen field. This is like a dream come true for them. They've donated their time and the students win because they can use the work they've done as credit toward their degree. This is a win-win solution for many of us." John beamed as he described the work and how it all was coming together.

"But what do you want me for? I'm certainly not as qualified as who you have here," Justin commented with a small frown and a wave at all the people who were busy at their craft.

"Justin, I want you here for several reasons. You have a creative eye which I appreciate. This really is my first attempt at restoration on this massive scale. You speak the same language as many of the artisans here so you can explain things to me. I've designed many buildings but mostly with modern materials. We plan to take a step back in time and try to match some of the original materials that were used in the construction of this beautiful old girl, minus the hazardous materials. I know you know how to mix paints like they used to and how to paint frescoes. Mould has gotten to many of the original frescoes and we may not be able to restore them but we may be able to match them and paint new ones. And I'd like to chronicle the progress in your sketches. Yes, I know we can take photographs and we will but I'm an old fashioned draftsman. I understand hand drawn pictures much better than a cold photo. Maybe I have a little of JAB Kinney in me too. I used to go to the stream and doodle. I'm in no way as good as you but I love the hands on detailed work."

Justin smiled warmly at his brother-in-law. They were kindred spirits in art.

"May I wander around a bit? I have my sketchpad, and I'm itching to use it." Justin's hand slipped into his messenger bag to retrieve his pad and pencils.

"By all means. Just stay clear of the stage and any offending scaffolding. Your husband will tan whatever's left of my hide if something else happens to you."

Justin and John laughed softly but Justin heeded John's warning. Justin wandered the building's interior for a while, found a quiet spot away from the 'traffic' and scaffolding, sat and began to sketch.

*****

Back at the cottage, Brian was as tense as a caged bear. The weather was damp and cloudy so he couldn't take the children outside. He was worried about Justin, it was too early for lunch and Snuffaluffagus wasn't cutting it. The kids were bored and Brian's patience was wearing thin. Briana was preparing to test out the terrible twos even though she was only eighteen months old. She always was a precocious little thing.

Brian and the kids were in the sun porch. Brian attempted some work on his laptop, while the kids were drawing at their own set of easels that Justin had set up for them. They each had their own set of crayons and pads. Brian's mind was racing, trying to analyze and quell his irrational fears for Justin's safety. Logically, he knew that Justin, a grown man, was quite capable of taking care of himself. Logically, Brian knew that John would look after him and logically, Brian was being an overly dramatic drama queen. Logic be damned. Justin was miles away from him; he missed Justin. Brian was scared for him. And that's all that Brian cared about.

Bree, on the other hand, cared only that she couldn't find the right blue crayon. Patrick was using said crayon and she wanted it and now. Briana stomped her little feet over to Patrick's easel, snatched the crayon out of her cousin's hand without asking, pushed him, then stomped back to her own easel. Brian caught the whole exchange and was not amused.

"Briana Victoria Taylor-Kinney!" Brian bellowed in a voice that had never been used for his daughter, startling both kids. "That was rude and impolite. You know better than that. Give the crayon back to Patrick and ask nicely for it," Brian demanded of his petite but willful child.

Bree stared at her Dada and at the crayon but didn't move. Brian walked to her, and stared at the crayon in her tiny hand. "You, Miss Briana, get a time out."

Brian scooped up his daughter, removed the crayon clutched in her hand then took her to her room. Placing the child in her crib, he set her straight on certain rules of acceptable behavior. "You will stay here for five minutes, then you will apologize to Patrick."

Noiselessly, tears began to stream down her little face. Bree had an idea that what she did to her cousin was wrong but it was the realization that her dada was upset with her that saddened her the most. She sat in her crib as she watched her father leave her room and shut her door.

Brian was very upset. This was the first time he actually had to discipline his daughter and he had no idea if he had done it right or was making a mountain out of a mole hill. He sat down on the floor just outside her room. He could hear the little sniffles of Bree's cries and he ached to rush back in to hug her. Instead, Brian stayed put on the floor and stared at his watch. This was the longest five minutes of his life.

Patrick had witnessed many moods of his uncle throughout his short life. He was unsure what to do and felt like crying. Being a child of the technology age, Patrick was well versed at the fine art of using a cell phone.

"Uncle Bri? Can I call my daddy?" he asked softly of Brian who was also trying not to cry. Brian pulled out his phone and hit number three on the speed dial.

"Sure, Sonny Boy, here." Brian handed the phone to Patrick who ambled to the living room to speak to his dad.

"Brian?" John answered.

"It's me, Daddy."

"Sonny Boy! Are you okay?"

"Yeah but..." Patrick tried to explain what had just happened to his father but all that came out was that Bree was crying in her room and Brian was sitting on the floor looking sad. John got the gist of the time out situation.

"Don't worry, Sonny Boy. Just stay quiet for Uncle Brian. It will be okay. I promise. Uncle Brian is just upset. Everything will be okay. I'll try to come home early."

"Okay, Daddy."

"I love you, Sonny Boy."

"Wuv you." Patrick said then flipped the phone closed.

Patrick went back into the hall as Brian stood counting down the seconds. Five minutes, no more no less. At the appointed time, Brian gently rapped on Bree's door, opened it and went in. Briana stood up, her face all snotty, looking like a glazed donut with tear streaks. Brian took out a wet nap and cleaned her face.

"You wet?" Brian asked his daughter. Briana shook her little head, no.

"We ask before we take something, you understand?" Bree nodded. "And NO pushing." Bree looked down at her little feet.

Brian lifted his contrite baby girl, gave her a hug and a kiss then cuddled with her in the rocking chair where he had spent many a night with her for her nightly feedings. Spying Patrick at the door, Brian beckoned his nephew in to sit on his lap too. Brian's lap and the rocking chair were big enough for all of them. When they settled, Briana reached out to pat her cousin's face by way of an apology. Patrick smiled brightly. Bree then patted her daddy's lips, again in an apology and for a kiss, which she immediately received. Brian relaxed, held the children close and began to rock.

All was right in their world again.