- Text Size +

 

All the Rage

Chapter 9

Brian, Justin and Lacy walked down the street towards the diner.

"We could have gone somewhere else for lunch," Brian said.

"The diner's fine," Justin replied. "Right, Lacy?"

"Sure," she smiled. "And I can always scope out the place."

"Scope it out?" Justin asked. "Why?"

"Debbie offered me a job there, and since you won't pay anything for me to be your gofer, I may just take it."

Justin grinned. "Did she tell you that I used to work there?"

"Yeah, and she offered me your old room at her house if I needed a place to stay."

Brian raised an eyebrow, but said nothing.

"You'll have to remember that the room is her son, Michael's room. Don't call it mine or you'll create waves."

Brian snorted. "How's your ankle holding up?" he asked as they neared the diner. "I don't want you overdoing it."

"You can carry me back, if it swells during lunch," Justin laughed.

"Twat!"

Lacy smiled watching the two men who seemed to have such fondness for each other, and such an easy rapport.

They entered the diner to be greeted by Debbie with much kissing and hugging. Even Lacy got a hug from Debbie since she didn't want to leave her out. They sat down at a booth and placed their orders. Justin and Lacy ordered grilled cheese and fries.

Debbie looked at Brian and asked, "Turkey on whole wheat, no mayo?"

"I'm feeling adventurous today," Brian smirked. "I'll have a club sandwich with fries, hold the mayo."

"Yes, sir," Debbie smiled and then bustled away.

"You're ordering fattening food!" Justin gasped in mock dismay.

"You can help me wear it off later," Brian grinned and waggled his eyebrows.

Lacy watched the two men and wondered how they had come to this place in their lives. She knew she'd never have anything like that with someone else, but it was kind of nice to see it.

"So, what are we going to do about this fucking ad campaign for Rage?" Brian said. "I seem to be fresh out of ideas."

"How do you usually get your ideas for ads?" Lacy asked curious as to how the process worked.

"Usually it just hits me, and then there are the times when I used to get stoned and go to the backrooms."

Lacy's eyes got very big. This was a successful ad executive and he was admitting to being in backrooms and using drugs. She shook her head in disbelief.

"Like 'Eat the Meat'?" Justin laughed.

"Hey, that was inspired," Brian chuckled at the memory.

"You mean like dick?" Lacy asked.

"No," Justin laughed. "It can of course be interpreted that way, but it was an ad campaign for a steakhouse."

"And they let you do that?" Lacy asked still trying to figure out this Brian Kinney.

"I can be very persuasive," Brian said tongue in cheek.

"And it sent the profits for the steakhouse through the roof," Justin informed Lacy.

"It was rather successful," Brian smirked.

"So, why don't you do something like that for Rage?" Lacy asked.

"And just what might 'something like that' constitute?" Brian demanded. "That's the problem.

Lacy frowned. "Well, how about 'It's All the Rage'?"

"Hm," Brian said. "That might work after the movie opens."

"Feel the Rage," Justin jumped in.

"Have you felt the Rage yet?" Brian said thoughtfully. "I think we might be onto something."

"I like it," Justin said.

Lacy smiled and then gasped as Brian leaned across the table and kissed her cheek. "You have an amazing assistant, Justin. You better hang on to her." Lacy felt herself blushing.

"Hey, pardon my fucking interruption, but you might want these meals before they're stone cold," Debbie said as slapped the plates of food down in front of them.

"That would be a nice change," Brian smirked now very pleased with himself.

Debbie gave him a gentle cuff to the ear and bustled away to serve someone else.

"You're actually thinking about living with her?" Brian asked rubbing his ear even though it hadn't hurt that much.

"I think it might be interesting," Lacy said biting into her sandwich.

"Interesting," Brian scoffed.

"You can follow in my footsteps," Justin joked.

"That wouldn't be so bad," Lacy said with eyes that looked lovingly at her new mentor.

Brian felt a little jolt run through him as he realized that Lacy might have more than just an artistic interest in his husband. He'd have to talk to Justin about that later.

They ate in silence for a while. Brian was running the ideas for Rage through his head and he liked what was happening. He would have a busy afternoon ahead of him. After a few minutes he realized that Justin had taken one of the quarters of his club sandwich and had offered another quarter to Lacy. They were helping themselves to his fries while he was lost in thought. At least the food wasn't going to waste.

"Had enough?" Brian asked with a smirk.

They both nodded.

"I think we should take a couple of lemon bars back with us. We'll need a snack later this afternoon," Justin said.

"Take some for John. He loves those things."

Justin nodded and went to the counter to purchase the lemon bars. Brian threw down a wad of bills and they headed out waving to Debbie as they left.

"You really want to live at Deb's," Brian said shaking his head.

"I'm leaning that way," Lacy giggled. She was learning to like Rage.

"Hey, want to come back to Kinnetik and play with Bree for a few minutes?" Brian asked Justin.

"Of course," Justin smiled.

"Do I need to carry you?"

"No thanks, I think I can manage."

"Who's Bree?" Lacy asked.

"Our daughter," Brian said proudly.

"You have a daughter?" Lacy was very surprised.

"Yes, we do," Brian said firmly.

"Wow! How old is she?"

"Eighteen months."

"I bet she's adorable."

"Absolutely," Brian smirked.

"I bet she takes after you," Lacy laughed.

"Naturally," Brian replied.

Justin chuckled and let Brian have his moment in the sun. Then he said, "Lacy, take these back to the site for me?" He handed her the bag of lemon bars. "And make sure John gets at least one."

"Sure," Lacy said. She watched the two men walk away, Brian's arm lovingly wrapped across Justin's shoulder. They seemed to have it all.

*****

JKCDC 11/4/2013

Dear Diary;

Today is the day. Karen is here! Thank the gods, as Brian would say. We'll be spending this week together and then next week I'll start coming in later in the afternoon. These 12-14 hour days are getting to me and I can't afford to get sick, not just when the clinic is really doing some good in the community. I've even gotten some 'referrals' from the local cops. Instead of hauling the hustlers down to the precinct, they've been giving them a choice to come to the clinic. Some of the older kids choose jail, it's all they know. But the younger ones, the first-timers, they've been choosing to come here. I hope the theater and bowling alley get finished soon. I have no idea what I'm going to do with all these kids.

John has been very helpful, though. He can't give them real jobs due to regulations but many of kids having been 'runners' for his crew, getting lunch or going to the hardware store, things like that. And I've been able to reunite a few with their families. One kid wound up here from Ohio, how, I don't know. But we were able to track down his mother and she came as soon as she could. I think Brian had a hand in that one. He set something up with Liberty Air so she could fly in and take her son home. Karen was able to set up counseling for the both of them through the local child welfare services. We'll be getting reports on their progress.

I still haven't gotten through to Lacy, I still don't know her full name or where she came from but she's thinking about taking the job at the diner, and staying with Debbie and Carl. She hasn't been tricking and has been helping Justin at the theater plus doing a little work for Kinnetik on the Rage campaign. Brian's in full adman mode, barking out orders and coming up with a kickass ad for the movie.

On a personal note, Nick will be taking some time off around Thanksgiving and Christmas. He wants to visit the clinic and stay with me at the loft. I can't wait.

Back to work, diary.

*****

Anderson Construction Work Log 11/19/13

Everything over at the clinic is done, inside and out, finally. There's always something to repair in these old buildings and just when I thought it was complete, we'd find something else to repair. But in the long run, it's worth the time and expense. Business is booming over there. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. I'm still uncomfortable with the whole bathhouse experience but I guess it's a necessary evil and a part of the gay mystique, if there is such a thing. But aside from all that, I'm proud of what we accomplished and with minimal disturbance of the business itself.

The theater is still slow going and it has to be so that we get it done right. As it turned out the whole stage had to be removed, Justin and I were lucky, if we had fallen through at a different end we would have been hurt worse. I think I still have a splinter or two in my butt although Bobby swears there's nothing there. And Justin's ankle is all better; he's his usual bouncy self. He's so enthusiastic about the work that he charges up everyone. His love for the work is contagious. Lacy and the PIFA students can't help getting caught up in his energy. It's wonderful to witness. Even some of the men I've worked with for years have commented on it.

The second crew is going full steam ahead at the bowling alley. Brian appears to have a personal interest there but I'm not sure why. When I've questioned him about it he clams up on me. Maybe I should get Justin to work his magic. I'm curious why Brian is so insistent that the bowling alley retain that 50's look. I'm not even sure he was ever in the place but he's always asking about it. I guess it's a Brian Kinney thing.

We did make an interesting discovery. The basement was used as storage and we had to practically gut it but we found some of the original pinball machines; many are still in working order. I brought in a 'pinball expert' and she's having the time of her life fixing and cleaning them up. We planned to reinstall them and of course, some of the latest computerized games. I can't wait to show Brian.

Back to work.

*****

To: almostmd@pennstate.edu

From: xhustlermsw@jkcdc.org

Hey Handsome!

When are you coming to the Pitts? I've got a nice new bed, the refrigerator is stocked and a whole bunch of DVD's to watch.

I miss you;

Hunter

To: xhustlermsw@jkcdc.org

From: almostmd@pennstate.edu

Hey Baby;

I miss you so much and I'm driving in on Wed. the 27th, I hope you can close up early but if you can't, that's okay too. Just as long as we can spend some time together. I'm proud of you, Baby. You've even made the school paper..."Social Worker alumnus makes a difference." You've done it, Hunter. I've saved the article and I'll bring it with me.

You've made a difference with your 'kids' and you've made a difference in my life too. I want to grow up and be just like you. I love you, Baby, and I'll see you soon. Do you think Debbie will have some turkey for us? Lol

Nick

*****

Over the next few days Lacy spent a lot of time with Justin. She enjoyed watching him work on his sketches and she copied some of his techniques, often drawing the same thing Justin was working on. She would then compare her drawing to his and he would point out ways she could improve her piece. Her style continued to be rather simple compared to Justin's, but he told her that having her own style wasn't a bad thing. He encouraged her in every way possible.

Finally Lacy came to Justin at the end of the day and asked him about when he worked at the Liberty Diner. Justin knew that Debbie had offered Lacy a job there and he hoped this meant she was going to accept it.

"So, did you like working at the diner?" she asked him.

"Not at first."

"Why?"

"It's hard work. Don't kid yourself," Justin said shaking his head. "And I was working there to pay back a debt."

"A debt?"

"Yeah," Justin smiled. "I stole Brian's credit card and used it to go to New York."

"You stole from Rage?" Lacy asked her eyes large.

"Yep. He was so pissed at me before I stole the card and then I prayed he'd come after me, and he did." Justin had a shit eating grin all over his face.

"Did he punish you?"

"Over and over and over again."

"I bet!" she scoffed.

"I didn't say what kind of punishment it was," Justin laughed.

"I can only imagine."

"Yeah."

"So you were working to pay off what you charged to his card?"

"Uh huh. But I grew to love it after a while. Debbie's great and the tips weren't bad. It saw me through a bad period."

"Do you think I'd be any good working there?"

"If you listen to Debbie and do what she tells you, I don't see why not."

"What about staying at her house?"

"What about it? Did she tell you her rules?" Justin asked with a grin.

Lacy snorted. "Such as they are. Was it hard living with her?"

"Actually no. She's great and she has your best interests at heart. She's a family when you don't have any other."

"I left my family behind … and I won't go back."

"Nobody's trying to make you, but you couldn't ask for anyone better than Debbie to look out for you."

"So you think I should do it."

Justin nodded. "But one caution, try not to let the Captain Astro wallpaper drive you insane. And maybe try to get her to hang some new curtains, since you are a girl."

"Who the hell is Captain Astro?" Lacy demanded.

"You'll see if you decide to live there."

"You're really scaring me," Lacy said.

Justin laughed. "I'm not trying to, just giving you fair warning. It obviously worked for me and it just might work for you."

"I think I may be ready to give it a try."

"Good girl. Now I could really use some help cleaning up. I want to meet Brian at Kinnetik."

Lacy started gathering up Justin's sketches. "What if I take the job at the diner and Debbie wants me to work during the day?" she asked.

"Then you don't act as my gofer that day. Now that my foot's better I can get around and look after myself for a day or two."

"But I can still come back on day's I have off?"

"Of course, you can. With what I'm paying you, how can you possibly stay away?"

Lacy laughed and pelted her "boss" with a crumpled up piece of paper.

*****

"Thanks for the ride over here, Hunter," Lacy said as Hunter's SUV pulled up in front of Debbie's house.

"I don't mind at all."

They got out of the truck and made their way up onto the porch.

"I'm kind of scared," Lacy admitted as Hunter reached for the door handle.

"Relax. Debbie's great."

"I'll try."

The front door was flung open and Debbie stood loud and proud in front of them. "Get your asses in here. I have dinner ready," she squealed pulling Lacy into a hug. "Welcome home, sweetie. Where's your stuff?"

"There's not much, but it's in the back of Hunter's truck."

"Carl, you and Hunter bring in Lacy's stuff and I'll show her her room. Come with me," she ordered and dragged Lacy up the stairs. "I would have liked to change the wallpaper, but I didn't have time. I did change the room a little. I hope you like it."

"I'm sure it will be fine," Lacy said wondering what she was going to find as Debbie opened the door and stepped inside.

Lacy stood staring at her new home. She could hardly believe her eyes. The wallpaper was truly ugly, but Debbie had done her best to make the room more feminine and homier. There was a pretty pale pink bedspread and matching curtains on the window. The dresser had a pale pink scarf lying on top of it and there was a cute pink lamp beside the bed.

"Holy shit!" Hunter said as he came into the room carrying Lacy's backpack. "This looks great!"

"Thanks, kiddo," Debbie smiled.

"She's been fixing the place up ever since Lacy said she might be interested in living here," Carl said as he set the small box he was carrying down on the bed.

"Thanks, Debbie, I appreciate your efforts," Lacy said.

"No problem. Let's eat," she said as she bustled out the door.

"That's the other thing," Hunter warned with a laugh. "She'll be feeding you all the time."

"I can stand that," she replied. She took a last look around her new home before following Hunter downstairs for dinner.