- Text Size +

 

All the Rage

Chapter 10

Another holiday, another day of eating and the gathering of family. This year's arrangements were slightly different to accommodate the ever changing and expanding family. Gus, as planned would spend the Thanksgiving holiday with Brian, Justin and Bree; they all would be at Claire's. Debbie commanded that Hunter, Nick, the 'girls with JR, Michael and Ben would have Thanksgiving at her house, including, of course, Lacy. Debbie thought it would be good for Lacy to see and interact with the girls. Emmett decided he was going to do his own very FABULOUS version of Thanksgiving at the loft with Drew, Ted and Allen and he insisted that Hunter and Nick join them for dessert later that evening. Nick didn't care where he was as long as Hunter was at his side the whole time. They had spent the night fucking and sucking their brains out until the wee hours of the morning and had fallen into a sated sleep somewhere around four Thanksgiving morning. And they had slept through the alarm.

"Yeah," Hunter mumbled into his phone.

"Don't you 'yeah' me, young man." Debbie shrieked on the other end of the phone.

"Where are you?"

"Debbie?"

"Well, of course, it's me, asshole! Now you get your skinny twink ass out of bed this minute, young man, and get over here pronto. If my turkey is ruined, there'll be hell to pay! So move it, mister!" Debbie shouted then hung up.

Hunter stared at the phone then shuddered with the realization that they had overslept and they were late for Debbie's extravaganza. Hunter jumped out of bed and started running around looking for clothes, starting the shower and screaming for Nick to get up.

"Where's the fire?" Nick asked trying to rub the sleep from his eyes.

"Come on, she'll kill me if I ruin her dinner," Hunter babbled.

"Who'll kill you?" Nick had an idea but couldn't resist teasing his panicked boyfriend.

"Debbie, asshole. Now get up before she sends the cops over here to drag us to her house."

"Oh Baby, she wouldn't do that." Nick sat up and watched as Hunter went through his closet looking for something nice to wear and then searching through Nick's bag for something equally as nice.

"Come on! I have the shower going to heat up. Let's go!" Hunter threw down the clothes on the bed and then proceeded to drag his uncooperative boyfriend out of bed and into the bathroom. Nick broke out into a fit of giggles. He couldn't believe that his brave, streetwise and tough boyfriend was afraid of an aging little woman with a horrendous red wig.

"You won't be laughing when Debbie smacks you upside your head, now move it!" Hunter yelled.

"Yes, dear." Nick snickered but followed his boyfriend into the shower.

*****

"Brian, stop fussing, it looks great," Justin admonished his spouse as Brian was putting the finishing touches to his fruit salad. Claire had insisted that the only thing that Brian and Justin needed to bring to dinner was themselves and the children. It had been a few years since she had the opportunity to host Thanksgiving and there were enough hands at her house helping. Since construction came to a halt for the holiday, John and Bobby took Patrick back to their own cottage for the long weekend. They missed their home but missed being with Brian and Justin too. The four men fell into an easy rhythm living under the same roof and the children loved being together. They would all go back to Brian's after the weekend. It just made the commute so much easier on all of them.

Brian felt horrible unable to bring something so he made his fruit salad. He personally went shopping to his favorite organic fruit stand and picked out all the best, tree ripened fruit. He woke up early to chop and dice the fruit into bite sized pieces carefully drizzling a little lemon juice over the fruit that might turn brown and then arranged, said fruit, in a large bowl so that the colors would compliment each other. Then he topped it all off with Grenadine and sprigs of fresh mint. To Justin's artistic eye, the salad was a masterpiece and he complimented his worried husband several, no hundreds, of times. But that didn't stop Brian from fussing. Justin shook his head, instructed Gus to load himself and Bree into the Cherokee and helped Brian and his salad into the passenger side.

"Just drive carefully, I don't want the strawberries to fall into the grapes," Brian instructed. "It'll ruin my color scheme."

Justin nodded then sighed. Big bad Brian, worrying about strawberries and grapes. No one would ever believe it!

*****

"John, just ask him." Bobby told his husband as they were preparing to get up and get ready to walk over to Claire's to help with the preparations.

"You think I'm being foolish, don't you?"

"No, I don't but it's an awfully big undertaking."

"I can do it, but do you think Brian and Justin will go for it?"

"I have to admit that at first I thought it was definitely a hair-brained scheme but after spending so much time with them, and the kids love being together, I think they'll go for it."

"But Brian values his privacy."

"Yes, he does but he also values you. When he really thinks about it, he'll love the idea. And I bet he'll break out the old tool belt to prove it."

"Maybe I should ask Justin first."

"You afraid of your brother?"

"No, maybe, a little. This will be a big change for them. Damn, I'm not so sure. It seemed like a good idea when it came to me but now..."

"John, you'll never know until you try."

"I didn't know a lot of things until I tried."

"You mean me?"

"Yeah, Baby, I mean you. I didn't know I'd like being with a man until I was with you. I didn't think I could be a father until Patrick."

"And you didn't think you could be a brother until Brian."

"Yeah. I'm hopelessly in love with you and I can't even conceive of my life without Patrick..."

"And a life without Brian in it?"

"Never. He's the most stubborn, pig-headed man I've ever met but I can't see myself without him either."

"Sounds like someone else I know."

"Oh yeah? Can't imagine whom you're referring to."

John and Bobby fell back into bed laughing and made love one more time before heading out.

*****

"Well, it's about fucking time!" Debbie called out as Hunter and Nick finally made it to the house. The family was already gathered and the food was being put on the table.

"I'm sorry Deb, did we ruin Thanksgiving?" Hunter asked as he smiled meekly and gave his grandmother a hug and a kiss. She gently cuffed him behind the ear, and returned the hug with one of her own bone crushing ones.

"No, I'm used to timing my meals around horny twinks." Debbie winked at Nick and gave him his own hug. "Go sit down; I want to hear all about the clinic and Nick's studies. We're finally getting a doctor in the family!"

With the Thanksgiving fixings on the table and everyone seated, Carl said grace and the meal began.

*****

"Drew, honey, you going to help me with dinner?" Emmett drawled as he stretched a little then curled his lithe frame around his burly man.

"Of course, anything for you, Baby, you know that, and we have a lot to give thanks about," Drew whispered against Emmett's cheek.

They'd been together for several years now and it was only getting better. They were aging but aging together. Drew had grown comfortable with being out; it was no big deal for him anymore. He had grown up and was very thankful that Emmett was there and wanted him. Drew had a vested interest in the Ironmen and with Kinnetik, and he adored Emmett. He was so different from Emmett but it was their differences that made their relationship work, just like another couple he knew. And Drew was now a part of a family, a very large unique family. As he flipped Emmett over for another round of lovemaking, Drew knew in his heart that he had a lot to give thanks for.

*****

The minute Justin parked the Cherokee in the yard, Gus helped Briana out of her car seat and took her into the house. There he was greeted by Claire, Steve, John, Bobby and Patrick. Rachel and her family were going to spend Thanksgiving with the Morrisons but they all promised to stop by for coffee and dessert later on. Justin was holding the fruit salad as Brian got out, stretched and retrieved his salad.

"Brian, you're being silly."

"No, I'm not, now go clear a path to the kitchen. I want this salad to be perfect," Brian commanded.

"Yes, your majesty, your wish is my command." Justin gave a little bow then scurried to do his master's bidding. Brian was carefully walking to the house with his large burden, praying he wouldn't trip sending fruit flying.

"All hail the conquering hero of the fruit salad!" Justin bellowed as Brian made it into the house and placed the bowl on the table. The fruit remained just where Brian had placed it, not daring to budge under the watchful eyes of the master chef. Brian blushed when the family applauded as he unveiled the salad.

"It's almost too pretty to eat." Claire declared as she gave Brian a hug and a kiss.

"You did good, little bro," John added with his own hug.

"Looking good, big guy," Bobby teased.

Steve stepped up and was about to comment when Brian stopped him with a look.

"Okay, okay, I get it." Brian conceded that he was being ridiculous but accepted a handshake then a bear hug from Steve.

"It does look good," Steve said as he clapped Brian on the shoulder. "Come on, you deserve a beer. It must be five somewhere in the world." Brian nodded and gratefully accepted a cold one.

After dinner, while they waited for Claire's coffee to brew, John decided to take Brian down to the stream. They needed the walk to allow all the wonderful food to digest and John wanted to suggest something to Brian.

"You swear there aren't any frogs!" Brian groused.

"No frogs, you big baby. Sheesh, you're a grown man. You'd think you could handle a few frogs," John teased his brother.

"Hey, you weren't the one who nearly got slimed to death by a poison dart frog," Brian protested. John giggled nervously, he was losing his nerve.

"John, what is it? You didn't bring me down here to talk about frogs. Is everything okay?" Brian turned to look into his brother's eyes, eyes that were so much like his own but softer somehow.

"Everything's fine; I just wanted to ask you about something. I had an idea the other night as Bobby and I were falling asleep on the sun porch. I love that porch."

"I know, so does Justin. It can get a little cool in the winter sometimes but when the sun hits it, it warms up. You should build one."

"I would if I could but there's no room and we're too close to the stream."

Brian nodded as he leaned against the great rock. John's cottage was nestled more into the woods as opposed to Brian's. He had a lot more room. Room enough for two or more cottages before the tree line and his own stream.

"Brian, this past month, staying with you and Justin, the kids being together, I've loved every moment of it. So has Bobby and the children have grown so close."

"We've enjoyed it too."

"You have? Really?"

"Yes, really."

"And you don't mind the intrusion? I know you value your privacy and the quiet."

"John, it's not like you guys are noisy and I've learned to tolerate a little noise with the blond ambition boy. He can really crank up the noise when he's painting. I'm kind of dreading when the construction is done and you guys move back here."

"Really? You're not shitting me, are you?"

"No, I'm not. I've kinda been wishing that there was some way of expanding my house to make it more family friendly. But I like the intimacy of the cottage, you know what I mean?"

"Yes, I do and that's the reason I wanted to talk to you. I think I have a way of doing that without doing more construction to your house."

"How?" Brian was intrigued.

"You're right about having the space for expansion. You do around the back, on the other end of the porch. What if I moved my cottage and attached it to the other end of the porch. The two cottages would remain separate for privacy but be attached via the porch. We'd each have our own homes but the families would be together. The Pittsburgh experience has become very lucrative for my business. You can't believe how many jobs we have lined up after we finish the theater and bowling alley. I'll be spending a lot of time there. And I can still maintain my office in Harrisburg. Gordon lives in Harrisburg so he can work from there."

"Can you do that? I mean move your whole cottage?" Brian asked all wide eyed. The thought of literally moving the whole house had never occurred to him.

"Yes, I can. It's relatively simple. You hoist the whole thing on hydraulics then onto a huge flatbed. Then you replant it on a new foundation. Piece of cake."

"Um, big bro, you don't expect me to break out my tool belt, do you?"

"Nah, besides the last time you did that, it fell off." John laughed thinking back to when they built the treehouse and Brian demonstrated how the tool belt fit around his slim hips or rather didn't fit, and Justin wore the tool belt.

"Hey, no thinking about Justin's ass; that ass is mine," Brian snarked.

"Wouldn't dream of it, little bro. So what do you think about the Anderson-Morrison family moving to your neck of the woods?"

"I think we need to talk to a certain blond and red-head."

"I think so too." There was a pause in the conversation as the brothers contemplated the whole idea.

"Come on, big bro. Claire's coffee should be ready by now and I'm still not so sure that there isn't a frog hiding out here to get me." John laughed and drew Brian into a hug.

"Heaven, forbid!" Arm in arm the beautiful brothers sauntered back to the house.

*****

"That was the best Thanksgiving," Nick said as he and Hunter drove back to the loft.

"Huh?"

"The best."

"What are you talking about?" Hunter asked in amusement.

"Well, think about it. We fucked all night and didn't wake up until it was time to go to Debbie's. We ate a delicious meal, schmoozed a little, and now we're going home to fuck some more. Perfect!"

Hunter laughed. "Yeah, how could I have missed that?"

They pulled up at the loft and Hunter squeezed the Cherokee into a parking space. Hand in hand they ran into the loft to continue with their own special brand of celebration and thankfulness.

*****

On the first floor Emmett and Drew were just finishing up their Thanksgiving dinner. Emmett had made turducken which Vic had taught him about many years before. They had enjoyed it and had invited Ted and Allen to join them for dinner. There would still be plenty of leftovers for the next few days.

They were stuffed and moved into the living room before tackling dessert and coffee. Emmett hoped Hunter would remember to join them.

"It seems funny to be having Thanksgiving without the whole gang," Ted said.

"Funny, but kind of nice," Drew replied.

"Nice?" Emmett asked.

"Don't get me wrong. It's nice being with the 'family', but the group is getting so large that's it's kind of nice to have a more peaceful and calm Thanksgiving."

"I see what you mean, sweetie," Emmett said kissing his partner. "It is nice. I'm glad you two could join us."

"I agree with Drew," Allen said. "The whole 'family' can be a little overwhelming."

"I don't think Brian was too fond of us all getting together, after the whole clinic/hustler fiasco," Ted mused.

"It was amazing that he didn't rip us all to shreds," Emmett observed.

"Justin did that for him," Drew laughed.

"Yeah, Justin is a little bulldog when he wants to be," Allen agreed.

"I wonder how their Thanksgiving is going," Ted said.

Allen sighed. "It always comes back to Brian and Justin, doesn't it?"

Ted laughed. This had been a long standing bone of contention between them. "They are the most interesting couple."

"I don't know," Emmett replied. "I think Drew and I are pretty fabulous."

They all laughed and agreed with Emmett. "You should call Hunter and make sure he's coming for dessert," Drew reminded Emmett. "We can find out how everything went at Debbie's."

*****

Nick and Hunter were on their second round of coupling on Hunter's new bed when the persistent ringing of the phone interrupted them.

"Just a little more," Hunter groaned as Nick thrust into him. "Don't stop. Harder. Oh yeah, right there!"

The phone went to the answering machine as the young men finished what they were doing. That was much more important than any phone call.

Nick rolled away and disposed of the condom. Hunter snuggled up against him. "Best Thanksgiving ever," Hunter grinned. That had become his new mantra.

Nick smiled and kissed Hunter. "I hate the thought of being separated even for a day."

"Did you apply to Allegheny General and Pittsburgh for your residency?"

"Both."

"When will you know?"

"Some time after Christmas."

Hunter groaned. It all seemed so far away. "I wish we could be together every day."

"Me too," Nick said kissing Hunter once again.

"I wonder who called," Hunter said after a minute or two.

"I'll check," Nick said getting up. Hunter heard a "Shit!" and asked what was wrong. "That was Emmett reminding us to come for dessert. I forgot all about it."

"I could use some sustenance," Hunter grinned. "You wore me out."

"Want to go down?"

"Yeah, we should. Let's take a shower first."

"Should we let them know we're coming?"

"I'll call," Hunter said. "Go start the shower."

Hunter dialed Emmett's number and waited for him to answer.

"Hey, baby, are you home?" Emmett asked.

"Um … yeah, just got in," Hunter lied.

"I know you guys have been fucking. We could hear you all the way down here."

"You couldn't!" Hunter reacted.

"No, sweetie, we couldn't. I'm just yanking your chain. Are you coming down?"

"Is it too late?"

"Not at all. See you in a few minutes. "They'll be right down," Emmett told everybody as he went to get his chiffon pumpkin pie ready to be served.

A few minutes later a knock at the door signaled the arrival of the lovebirds. Emmett welcomed them in and served the pie and coffee.

"So, how did things go at Deb's without all us fabulous people?" Emmett asked with a laugh.

"Good," Nick said.

"Hey, come on," Emmett encouraged them, "Dish!"

Hunter laughed. "Debbie and Carl were great. They made Lacy feel really welcome."

"Lacy?" Ted asked.

"She's this girl who was hustling and came to the clinic. She's off the street now, working at the diner and living at Deb's."

"In my old room?" Emmett asked.

"That would be Vic's old room," Hunter chuckled. "No, she's in Michael's old room."

"There sure are a lot of old rooms at Debbie's," Drew laughed.

"It's an old house, sweetie," Emmett said giving Drew's thigh a squeeze. Drew smiled affectionately at his partner.

"So how does Lacy like it there?" Ted asked.

"She seems to be getting along fine. Michael is more than a little pissed at how Deb redecorated his room," Hunter said.

"Redecorated?" Emmett squealed. "Did she get rid of that hideous wallpaper?"

"No," Hunter laughed. "Just the hideous curtains and the hideous bedspread."

"Well, that's a start," Emmett had to admit.

"Deb's going pink with the room, since Lacy's a girl," Hunter explained.

"Pink with the Captain Astro wallpaper," Emmett asked with a shudder.

"It is kind of gross," Hunter had to admit.

"I'm sorry I asked," Emmett said.

"Lindsay and Mel were there. Can you believe that JR's in first grade this year."

"They grow up so fast," Allen said with a smile.

"And we get older," Emmett observed.

"No, we get better," Drew corrected him.

"That was sweet," Emmett said kissing Drew once again.

"This pie is delicious," Nick said.

"Thanks."

"Could I have another piece?"

"Certainly, we want you to keep up your strength for other activities later tonight," Emmett said as he went to cut another piece for Nick.

"This has been the best Thanksgiving," Nick said kissing Hunter while he waited for his pie.

"I think we can all agree on that," Drew said, and they all did.