- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Brian's past threatens their future.

 

 

"Table for two for Kinney", Brian stated in the no nonsense tone Justin found that he used with everyone but him. He was still trying to sort through everything that Brian had said to him, and now with this realization allowed himself to wonder for the first time if it could possibly be true. Could Brian really be feeling more than just sexual desire? Was it even remotely possible that he could have with this man all the things he had yearned for as long as he could remember?


 


"Right this way, Mr. Kinney," the host at the door replied. The man leading them was kind of hot, and Justin found himself watching Brian to see for himself if the brunette was checking out the goods in front of him, surprised to find that for the moment at least, Brian seemed to only have eyes for him. ‘Get a grip, Taylor', Justin said to himself. ‘Just because he can manage to not hunt for his next trick on your very first date, that doesn't mean you won't have to always be watching over your shoulder, sure that you will never be enough to satisfy the stud of Liberty Ave.'


 


Justin unwittingly let out a sigh, as the host stopped at a remote corner table, bathed in low light and perfect for a private dinner, even among a room full of other patrons.


 


"Is something wrong?", Brian swiftly asked him. "I can get them to give us another table if you don't like this one."


 


"No, Brian, this is amazing," having no intention of letting the man in on the thoughts that were going through his mind. "I can't believe that you planned this whole thing, not even knowing if I would say yes."  Brian looked quickly down, unable to make eye contact while he once again poured his heart out to the young man standing before him.


 


As they slipped into the chairs the host held out for them, one at a time, Brian continued, "Look, Sunshine, I have never done anything like this before, and if anyone I knew could see me right now, they would never believe it.  This is the most ridiculously romantic thing I have ever even thought about doing, and I have never wanted anything more. " He allowed his gaze to shift up to look Justin directly eye to eye.


 


Reaching out to take the younger man's hand in his, he seemed once again to be able to read Justin's mind as he almost whispered, "I know that I have quite a promiscuous reputation to overcome, and I can't sit here and make you any promises that I will never fuck up. This is all knew to me. All I'm asking, Justin, is that you give me a chance, give us a chance. I think we will both regret it if we don't give this thing between us a try."


 


One hour later


 


Brian was absentmindedly holding Justin's hand once again. It seemed like he couldn't resist touching the beguiling man sitting across the table from him. They had settled into conversation as they ate, and lost all track of time. Brian told the artist some things about himself, and had listened attentively as Justin shared more about his life.


 


Brian even told Justin how he had seen gardenias in more than a few of the paintings in his collection, leading him to believe that this particular flower might have been his favorite. When he heard this, Justin smiled his kilowatt smile, and Brian caressed his palm with his thumb, delighting in knowing that he was the one who had caused that reaction in this man he could not seem to learn enough about.


 


He wondered briefly if it was wise to show his hand the way he was. He had never left himself so open and vulnerable to any other person before, knowing if you allow yourself to love, then you open yourself up to being hurt as well. His parents had taught him that, but that was a subject he talked about with no one, not even Mikey, who had been there for him through most of it. No reason to start now, the past was the past. No good could come from re-visiting that dark time in his life.


 


Of course, no one had ever made him feel what he was feeling right now, either. He never really thought it was possible to feel as comfortable as he did talking with Justin. It was almost like he had known him all his life, and an emptiness had been filled that he never really knew was there. He felt a peace settle over him, and even though time was passing so quickly, he found that he didn't want the night to end.


 


"Well, well. Didn't take you long to move on did it? Mikey's side of the bed is not even cool yet, and you are on to the next conquest. " Brian's head snapped up to see Ted, glaring and angry, standing at the side of their table. He and his date had just left the opera, and just happened to stop at the Melting Pot to see if they had a table open so they could discuss the show they had just seen.


 


"You have no idea what you've lost, do you? How could you hurt him like that? Do you have any idea how wonderful he is?"


 


"Why, Teddy my boy," Brian responded sarcastically, unable to contain his anger at having his own date interrupted this way, "if I didn't know better, I might think that despite present company, you might have a teeny tiny crush on little Mikey yourself." Ted's face turned crimson as the flush overcame him, but he did nothing to deny Brian's words. As his date stormed off, throwing his hands in the air in frustration, Ted ran after him, calling out to him, "wait, it's not what it sounded like. Come on, wait up."


 


"Well, that was uncomfortable," Justin said as Brian's gaze returned to set on the younger man. "I think it's time we called it a night, don't you?"


 


Brian called the waiter over, handing him his credit card and signing the slip he had left them, adding a very generous tip. Ending this night was the last thing that he wanted, but he could see that Justin was anxious to leave, and didn't want to do or say anything to further ruin the wonderful evening they had spent together.


 


 


BJ <3 BJ <3 BJ


 


 


As they drove away in silence, Brian looked over at Justin, wondering what was going on in the other man's head. "Justin, will you come back to my loft and let me explain?"


 


‘What's the point, Brian? I almost made a big mistake, but luckily I found out before it was too late. It's rather obvious that nothing you have said is sincere. I can't believe you would actually lie to me to get your way. You had me believing all that stuff about never considering a relationship before me. It was flattering, I have to admit, and I let myself want it enough to let my guard down. Just...please just take me back to the gallery."


 


"Not until you hear me out. I know it seems like I lied, but one thing I can promise you, Justin, is that I will never lie to you."


 


"I think that ship has sailed, don't you? It's bad enough that you are willing to say anything to sway things in your favor, but how can you think I am gullible enough to continue to believe you when I heard the truth with my own ears?  ... I've never done this before, Sunshine. ..this is all new to me...isn't that what you said? Well, I wonder what this Mikey, I just heard about would have to say about that, Mr. Kinney..."


 


Justin had to stop himself before the tears that were threatening to spill over became obvious to the man before him. He had made enough of a fool of himself, could hear the shaking and emotion in his own voice, but he was not about to let Brian see him cry. He found himself almost hating this person he had never met, this man with whom until recently, Brian had apparently been sharing his bed and his life.  


 


"Listen to me, Justin, are you listening?" Brian grimaced as he saw the scowl appear on Justin's face. "I know what it sounds like, but I need you to hear me out. I am not taking you anywhere until you give me a chance to clear up what you just heard. I am taking you back to my loft, and after you hear everything I have to say, if you still want to leave, I will take you home."


 


Justin turned his head away from Brian, staring out the window, crossing his arms in front of him in surrender. He would endure whatever he had to until this night was over, and then he would make sure that he and Brian kept their distance from each other from this point on.


 


From the driver's seat, Brian could feel the anger... and confusion...and heartbreak...everything he knew that the young man sitting next to him was feeling. His gut ached as if he were feeling all of Justin's emotions himself. How could he explain the history he had with Mikey?  What would it take to make the blonde understand? Just how far was he willing to go?


 


Could he open up and tell Justin about his childhood with its pain and the fear? Could he share that part of himself that he had kept buried inside for so long? Could he survive splaying himself open like that, acknowledging and reliving the ghosts of the past, in order to prove to this man he wanted so badly that he had not deceived him?


 

Chapter End Notes:

TBC


 Can the boys fix the seemingly insurmountable distance between them?