- Text Size +


 

Past Tense

Chapter 1


“Brian,” Cynthia's voice came over the intercom. “Mr. Hammond of Hammond Foods is here.”

“I'll be out in a moment,” Brian replied.

“Um…”

“Is there something else?” Brian asked with a frown.

“No, no, I'll tell him,” Cynthia said.

Brian set the phone back on the base wondering what was up with Cynthia today. She was usually as brusque and straightforward as he was. He finished studying the graph he had displayed on the computer and leaned back in his chair. For a newly formed company Kinnetik was doing extremely well. Ted's graph projected that they were going to make a shitload of money over the next few years if things continued in the manner they were heading.

Brian stood up giving his back a good stretch as he did so. His next big account was waiting for him in the outer office. Hammond Frozen Foods was one of the biggest food companies in Pennsylvania. Their headquarters were in Philadelphia, but their VP of marketing had come all the way across the state to meet with Kinnetik. Hammond Foods had recently begun expanding into neighboring states and they were looking for a new, more dynamic ad campaign to increase sales there. Apparently their current advertising firm was just not measuring up. Well, Brian would see that Kinnetik did measure up.

Pushing open the door to his office Brian stepped out into the outer area. He stopped as his eyes fell on a very nice looking man sitting in the waiting area sipping a mug of coffee. Brian felt suddenly disconcerted. The man glanced up at him and he looked into eyes that were very much like his own. He felt no ping from his gaydar and he frowned at why the sight of this man had suddenly upset his equilibrium.

“Mr. Hammond?” Brian said trying to make sure his voice was steady and confident. “I'm Brian Kinney.” Brian extended his hand as the man stood and grasped it in a firm shake.

“Chase Hammond,” the man said looking into Brian's eyes. The two men were almost the same height.

“If you'll come into my office, we can have a look at how we might be of service to you.” Brian opened the door to his office and ushered Chase inside. He glanced back at Cynthia who was staring at them, seemingly fascinated. Brian raised an eyebrow and she shook her head giving a funny little chuckle.

“Interesting offices you have here, Mr. Kinney,” Chase said as he took a seat across the desk from Brian.

“I wanted something out of the ordinary. Kinnetik is not your average ad firm. I wanted our offices to reflect that difference.”

“That's exactly the kind of attitude I'm counting on for our new campaign.”

“Well then, let's see what we can come up with,” Brian said leaning confidently back in his chair. He wasn't sure what had upset him when he had first met Chase Hammond, but he wasn't going to let it interfere with Kinnetik landing this account.

Chase Hammond studied the man in front of him. Brian Kinney wasn’t exactly what he had expected. He wasn’t sure what he had expected, but this man wasn’t it.

“Shall we get started? Mr. Hammond?” Brian asked when the man didn’t answer him. He felt Hammond’s eyes on him constantly, and couldn’t help but wonder what the man was thinking.

“Oh, yes,” Chase Hammond said clearing his throat. He needed to concentrate.

Brian flipped up his pad of paper prepared to jot down some information and ideas, as they discussed Hammond’s vision for his company. Brian wondered what was going on with the handsome man sitting across the desk from him.

For the next hour or so Brian and Chase discussed the direction that Hammond Foods wanted to go. Brian learned that Chase was the only son of Harold Hammond who had owned the company and been the CEO until his recent death. Chase was in the process of being groomed to take over the company, when his father’s untimely death from a heart attack had upset that plan. Now a temporary CEO had been put in position until Chase was ready to assume his role of running the company. The Hammonds were old Philadelphia money and Brian could see the society upbringing that Chase must have had. It oozed out of him in everything he did and said.

Brian made a mental note to ask Emmett what he knew about the Hammonds. Emmett’s lover, George Schickel, had been married to Virginia Hammond, who must be related to Chase, probably his aunt. She was a real bitch according to Emmett. Chase didn’t seem to exhibit any of those traits.

When their meeting was finally over, Brian had agreed to draw up an advertising proposal which he would present to Chase in as timely a manner as possible. Chase wanted to get moving on a new campaign. Maybe that was his way of making his mark in the company. The short time span for a new campaign wasn’t optimal for the best results, but Brian was sure he could pull it off. He wanted to impress Chase Hammond.

Brian led Chase from his office to the reception area. He had asked Chase if he would like to have lunch at a nearby restaurant, but Chase was determined to be back in Philadelphia for a late meeting that afternoon. They shook hands and Chase left the building.

Cynthia had watched the two men together as they stood near her desk. She studied Brian carefully as Chase left. She was wondering what her boss would say about the delicious looking Mr. Hammond.

“So what do you think?” Cynthia asked as Brian stood watching Chase exit the building.

“About what?”

“About the gorgeous Mr. Hammond.”

“You think he's gorgeous?”

“Absolutely.”

“He’s all right, but hardly gorgeous. Maybe that's because he's not gay.”

“He's not?”

“Nope, no ping on my gaydar.”

“That's hopeful,” Cynthia chuckled. “One for our side.”

“What was that look you gave me when he came in?” Brian asked, curious about what Cynthia had meant by the way she had been observing him and Chase Hammond.

“Don't tell me you didn't see it.”

“See what?”

“How much Chase Hammond looks like you.”

Brian frowned. “He's tall like me, and we’re both very handsome and successful.” Brian couldn’t help the smirk. “But…”

“Oh come on, Brian. He could be your long lost cousin.”

“You think so?” Brian asked. “I didn't notice, but that must make me gorgeous too,” Brian chuckled, remembering what Cynthia had said.

“You're both … okay,” Cynthia said using one of Brian’s tactics to downplay her earlier words. “And if this one's straight, so much the better. Need any help on his campaign?”

“How do you know we got the account?”

“You'd accept nothing less.”

“True.” Brian couldn't resist another little smirk as he headed back into his office. He had to wonder about Cynthia's comment that he and Chase Hammond looked alike. He thought there was a slight resemblance but that was all. They certainly had the same eyes. With a shrug he got to work on the ideas he had been running past Chase in their meeting.

Cynthia brought him a sandwich some time after that and he continued to plug away at the idea he had grabbed onto. He paid no attention to time as the visuals kept popping into his head and he played with them on the computer. He almost had a rough layout working when the intercom buzzed.

“What?” he snarled, not pleased at being interrupted.

“There's someone here who wants to see you,” Cynthia said.

“Are you deliberately trying to be vague or do you mean to piss me off?” Brian barked.

“Will you just come out here, please?”

“Fuck!” Brian snarled. “This better be good.” Cynthia was going to pay for this. He stood up and stretched heading for the door to his office. As he pushed it open a small whirlwind grabbed his leg.

“Daddy,” Gus yelled clinging to Brian's pant leg.

“Hey, Sonny Boy,” Brian smiled as he lifted his son into his arms and kissed his cheek. “What are you doing here?”

“He felt the absolute need to show you his new train,” Lindsay said with a chuckle. “He refused to go home until he had come to see you.”

“So where's this train?” Brian asked knowing full well that Gus had it clutched in his hand.

“It's right here, Daddy.”

“Hmm, that looks like a really nice engine. Should we try it out on your track this weekend?”

“Now!” Gus stated.

“Daddy's working, Gus,” Lindsay said. “I told you that you could show him the train but then we would go home.”

“Daddy,” Gus whimpered.

“Gus, don't whine,” Lindsay admonished.

“I promise we'll play trains this weekend,” Brian said kissing Gus' face. “Maybe I'll even bring Justin to play too.”

“Justin,” Gus said his eyes sparkling with tears. “Bring Justin.”

“I will, Sonny Boy.” He gave Gus another kiss before setting him down.

Lindsay took his hand. “Say goodbye to Daddy, Gus.”

“Bye, Daddy.”

“I'll see you on the weekend,” Brian said watching his son being led out of Kinnetik. Sometimes he hated not having Gus come home with him.

“He's such a cute little boy,” Cynthia said. “Just like his father.”

“Don't press your luck, girlie. I was about to fire your ass when you refused to tell me who was out here.”

“You'd never fire me. You don't know where anything is without me around.”

“Insidious bitch!”

“And proud of it. Just looking out for number one.”

“I trained you too well,” Brian said over his shoulder as he made his way back into his office. Cynthia smiled as she went back to her desk.

Brian sat at his desk looking at the layout. It was all right, but it still needed some kind of spark. He rubbed his eyes and decided he had stared at it long enough. Maybe he would see it with fresh eyes in the morning.

He was about to turn off his computer and go home when a different thought made him hesitate. If he was going to play trains with Gus on the weekend, it would be nice to bring another new train car with him. This could be one that Justin would give Gus and then they all could play with it. He remembered the brand name of the train that Gus had and searched for their site on the web. Once he got into the site he scrolled through all the types of train cars that were available for the set Gus had. He also found that extra track could be purchased and they could enlarge the area over which the train would travel. Lindsay would probably have his balls, make that ball, but he wanted a decent track to play on. He added the track and a caboose to his shopping cart, and then noticed a station that could be purchased to go with the set. He clicked on it, adding it to his cart. He hit purchase and was taken to the screen requiring his credit card information. The train paraphernalia was going to cost him an outrageous eighty-eight dollars, but he would enjoy it, and so would Gus. He could get overnight delivery if he paid an exorbitant extra sum. He clicked on that, wanting to have all of this to take to Gus on the weekend.

Once everything was filled in, he hit send and waited for the confirmation. The screen changed and stated that his order could not be processed.

“Fuck!” Brian said wondering what was wrong. He had filled in all the required information. He tried it all again using a different credit card. Sometimes sites didn't like American Express, so he tried it again using his Visa. Once again it came up that it could not be processed.

“Fucking shithead site!” Brian said to the empty office. “Cynthia!”

There was no answer. Brian looked at his watch noting that it was seven-thirty. She and everybody else would be long gone. He'd have to try to find the train at a store before the weekend. Maybe he could get Ted to try the site tomorrow and find out why it wouldn't work for him.

Finally Brian turned off his computer, stretched trying to get the kinks out of his back, and went to get his coat. It was time to head home and find his blond boyfriend. Enough crap sites on the internet, enough crap trains. He needed some sex to relax him after a hectic day, and he knew just the person to help him relieve the day's tensions. He was grinning as he climbed into the Vette.

“Honey, I'm home,” Brian called into the loft as he opened the door. There was no response. Justin wasn't home. “Fuck!”

Brian went up to the bedroom and started pulling off his clothes. As much as he enjoyed the dapper appearance he donned for the business world, there was nothing like coming home and getting into his well worn jeans and a wifebeater. When he finished changing he went down to the kitchen. He opened the fridge door wondering if he might find something to eat. No such luck. The contents were very slim, and absolutely nothing looked tempting.

Slamming the fridge door, Brian debated going out, maybe to the diner to pick up something. But he didn’t really feel like doing that. He opened one of the drawers in the kitchen and pulled out the stack of takeout menus. As he flipped through them, he realized that nothing really tempted him. What he had really wanted was Justin.

With a sigh Brian grabbed the phone and dialed the number of his favorite Chinese restaurant. Maybe some Kung Pao Chicken would fill the bill. Just as the restaurant picked up, Justin slid back the loft door.

“Hey,” he said, carrying in a large pizza box. “I bought dinner.”

Brian snorted. “That stuff’ll kill ya.”

“Yeah, but it’s a good way to go,” Justin laughed. “Care to join me?”

Brian thought about it. Someone was saying hello over and over again on the phone. He pushed the “end” button and set the phone down on the counter. At least the pizza was already here, and what was carrying it was downright delectable.

“Sure,” Brian said. “I’ll grab a couple of beers.”

Justin set the pizza on the coffee table and dropped his messenger bag beside the computer table. He flipped open the pizza just as Brian handed him a beer.

“Thanks,” Justin said sitting down on the sofa. “How was your day?”

“Not bad,” Brian replied taking a draw from his beer.

“Did you get a new account?”

“Could be.”

“You did? Who?”

“Hammond Foods.”

“Don’t they have a lot of frozen foods? I think I’ve bought some of their dinners.”

“Yeah, they have a lot of frozen shit.”

“Is that how you’re planning to advertise it? As frozen shit?” Justin laughed. He picked up a slice of pizza and started devouring it.

“Maybe not exactly those words,” Brian replied, deciding he could eat a slice of pizza too. He helped himself. “Hammond foods are expanding into neighboring states, so they want a fresh new look.”

“Couldn’t their old ad agency handle it?”

“Apparently not. I meant to look and see who they were with before, but I had some good ideas for their campaign. I forgot to look.”

“Hm,” Justin said licking his fingers. He picked up another slice. “I bet your ideas are better.”

“Of course they are.”

Justin chuckled. “And so humble too.”

“It was kind of odd…”

“Odd? What was odd?”

“Cynthia kept saying that Chase Hammond looked like me. I couldn’t really see it myself.”

“How old is Chase Hammond?”

“Around my age, I’m not sure. He was being groomed by his father to take over the company. That is, until his father died recently.”

“That’s too bad, but he must be very good looking if he looks anything like you,” Justin said with a grin.

Brian saluted him with his beer bottle. “But he’s not gay. I never got even a blip on my gaydar.”

“Not every good looking man is gay.”

“Just the vast majority of them.”

“True.”

“Are you done eating that glop? I’m horny as hell.”

“I want at least two more slices. Have another one.”

Brian groaned loudly to show his displeasure, but Justin merely picked up another slice of pizza and started eating it. Brian decided he might as well treat himself to a second slice. After all, he fully intended to burn off every calorie and more.