- Text Size +

 

Past Tense

Chapter 10



“If we follow through with the schedule of radio and print ads, our numbers indicate a significant increase in product sales,” Brian said as he concluded his presentation.

Chase Hammond sat stone faced at the conference table. He had brought another executive with him from Philadelphia. At the moment Brian couldn’t remember the other man’s name, not that he really cared. Brian also had a feeling that maybe Chase really hated what Brian had done with the ad campaign. Chase’s reaction would certainly indicate that. Brian poured water from the pitcher on the table, and took a sip while he waited on tenterhooks for the reaction from the two men.

“I like it,” the man with Chase said.

Brian let out a soft breath. His shoulders relaxed slightly and he smiled just a little bit. “I thought you might,” he said. “Mr. Hammond?” he asked when Chase didn’t say anything. He thought the more formal method of addressing Chase seemed appropriate, considering Chase’s very cool demeanor on the phone. The frostiness had continued since he had arrived at Kinnetik. Maybe this was payback, and Chase was going to shoot Brian down in flames.

“It is what I expected,” Chase said precisely and flatly. “I think we should go ahead with it immediately. Do you agree, Bill?”

“Yes, immediately,” Bill said.

“I’m glad you both concur,” Brian said, his smile broadening. “May I offer you some refreshments?”

“No thank you,” Chase said standing up. “We’re going back to Philadelphia.”

“Yes,” Bill agreed. “Get these ads on the radio and in print as soon as possible.”

“I’ll make sure that happens,” Brian said. He wanted to talk to Chase, but he had no idea how to do so with Bill being there. Perhaps that was why Chase had brought him, to act as a buffer. He hadn’t needed to bring anyone with him the other times that he had come to Kinnetik.

“May I use your restroom?” Bill asked. “It’s a long trip back to Philly.”

“Of course,” Brian said. “Cynthia will show you where it is.”

Bill and Cynthia left the room together.

“Chase, we need to talk,” Brian said quickly, trying to take advantage of this window of opportunity.

“I beg to differ. We have nothing to discuss.” Chase turned his back on Brian and studiously examined one of the boards that was on a nearby easel.

“I’m sorry if I offended you,” Brian said, breaking his cardinal rule of no apologies.

“It’s a little late for sorry. It doesn’t matter anymore.”

“But it might…”

Chase turned to look at Brian. “And why might it matter? You made it clear that you wouldn’t want me as part of your family, even if that should prove to be the case. I am merely ensuring you get that wish.” The ice in his voice should have frozen the water in the pitcher on the table.

“You totally misunderstood me,” Brian said staring into Chase’s eyes. “I didn’t say that I didn’t want you as part of my family. I said that you wouldn’t want to be part of the fucked up mess that I call a family.”

Chase studied Brian’s face. “That’s a subtle distinction,” Chase said, but his voice and words had softened. There were a few cracks in the ice that had formed in the water pitcher.

Brian smiled. “I’m not noted for my subtlety. There’s actually a huge difference between the two statements. If I didn’t have to be part of the Kinney family, I would be greatly relieved.”

“You would?” Chase asked with surprise.

“You haven’t met the bitch that calls herself my mother.”

“You…you shouldn’t say that about your mother,” Chase said with a frown.

“I’m just trying to tell you that entry into the Kinney family is not something to be valued.”

“Okay, I get the point,” Chase said. “We’re probably not related anyway.”

“Do you have someone checking into it?” Chase nodded. “So do I.”

Chase actually smiled. “Maybe we’re more alike than we think.”

“Could be,” Brian said.

“Are you ready to go, Chase?” Bill whatever-his-name-was said from the doorway.

“Ready,” Chase replied. Then to Brian he added, “Call me if you learn anything.”

“I will,” Brian said before Chase left the room. He stood lost in thought for a couple of minutes. Chase had thrown him a bone, a little one, but a bone nonetheless. Brian had permission to call. Maybe he would do just that. If they got to know each other…

“Boss.”

“Yes,” Brian replied.

“How did it go?” Ted asked. He walked over to where Brian was standing.

“He said I could call him.”

Ted smiled to himself. “That’s good. You should do that.”

“Yeah.”

“How was the presentation?”

Brian stared blankly at Ted for a minute. “Oh, the presentation – they liked it.”

“That’s good too.”

“Yes it is.”

Ted shook his head as he walked out of the office.



*****



“Yo, Shopkeep,” Brian said as he walked into the comic store after work.

“What are you doing here?” Michael asked frostily. He crossed his arms on his chest and glared at his friend.

“I came to visit you,” Brian replied with his most charming smile. He had decided after work that he really needed to make peace with Michael. He didn’t like it when they were on the outs. So here he was trying to make up with his old friend.

“Yeah, and that’s why you haven’t answered any of my messages … because you’re so keen to see me.”

“I don’t like being ambushed.”

“Ambushed? We’re your friends. We were concerned about you. We wanted to help.”

“I know, but … sometimes I need to do things on my own.”

“Or with Justin,” Michael accused.

“Mikey, Justin is my partner.”

“For how long? Until the next time he leaves?”

Brian winced. Michael always knew how to hit him where it hurt. “I’ll ignore that comment. I came to tell you that I’m fine. I’ve had a few problems lately, but … I’m handling them.”

“What problems?”

“I’d rather not discuss them. Come to the diner for dinner with me,” Brian invited.

“What good is that? We’ll have nothing to talk about since you don’t want to confide in me anymore.”

Brian bit back the unpleasant retort he wanted to make. “Just come for dinner,” Brian asked again, keeping his voice calm.

Michael considered for a minute then he said, “I need to call Ben.”

“Then call him,” Brian replied biting his tongue.

Michael disappeared into the office to make the call to his husband. Brian looked around the shop. Michael had really done a good job cleaning it up and making it look bright and inviting. The only customers in the place were a couple of preteen boys looking at the Wonder Woman comics and giggling. They should be home having dinner with their fucking families, Brian thought.

“Ben’s got some work he can do at the university, so I’m free for dinner,” Michael said as he came out of the office.

“Must be my lucky day,” Brian smirked.

“Hey, guys,” Michael called over to the boys. “I’m closing in a couple of minutes. Are you going to buy anything?”

“Naw,” one boy said and the two of them left the store, jostling each other, trying to be the first out the door.

“Kids! Horny, hetero little bastards,” Brian stated.

“Hey, those are my customers you’re talking about,” Michael said as he started closing up.

“Yeah, Mikey, you’ll miss the five bucks they might have spent.”

Michael glared at Brian. “Gus will be one of those kids before too many years pass,” he reminded Brian, as he continued to ring up the day’s take on the cash register.

“Bite your tongue.”

Michael laughed. Brian could always make him feel better, even when Michael was mad at him.

Soon Michael had finished the routine he did each day at closing, and he was ready to leave. The two friends walked along Liberty towards the diner. Brian was glad that Michael was coming with him, but he had to admit that it was difficult to make conversation when all that Michael wanted to talk about was what Brian didn’t want to talk about.

When they walked into the diner, Justin was hustling around with his hands full of plates of food. He smiled quickly at Brian before dropping the plates in front of four guys at a nearby table. Michael and Brian grabbed a booth as soon as someone got up to leave. Debbie arrived to clear the table.

“So, this is like old times,” she said as she cracked her gum and stacked the dirty plates. “What can I getcha?”

“I’ll have him,” Brian said pointing at Justin.

“He’s not on the fucking menu,” Debbie retorted with a snort.

“I’ll have a burger, fries and a Pepsi,” Michael chimed in.

“Okay, sweetie, but you should watch all the fried shit.”

“Mom!”

“I’m only saying,” Debbie replied. “And you?” She looked pointedly at Brian.

“Since I can’t have what I really want…”

“He’ll be off in half an hour, so eat something else while you’re waiting.”

Brian stuck his tongue out at her before saying. “I’ll have the same high cholesterol meal as your adorable son.”

“No shit!” Debbie said in surprise. “I was writing down turkey on whole wheat, no mayo.”

Brian’s smirk widened. He liked being unpredictable. “I suspected you would. But we all need a change now and then.”

“So, you want a burger?” Debbie asked to be sure she had heard right. Brian nodded. “Fine, two grease group specials comin’ up.”

Brian snorted then he called after Debbie, “I’ll have a cup of the swill you call coffee instead of the Pepsi.”

Justin winked at Brian as he went by with a tub full of dirty dishes. Brian reached out and pinched his ass, almost causing Justin to drop the tub.

“Hey, hands off the hired help,” Debbie ordered as she witnessed Brian’s action while she was getting the coffeepot.

“I have to do something to entertain myself while we wait for our sumptuous repasts,” Brian said tongue in cheek.

“Well, la-dee-fucking-da! I’ll be sure to get Tony to spit on your burger while he’s making it,” Debbie retorted as she set down Michael’s Pepsi and poured Brian’s coffee.

“I didn’t come here to watch you fondle your boyfriend,” Michael said crossing his arms on his chest and looking glum.

“He’s not my boyfriend…”

“I know, you don’t do boyfriends,” Michael finished Brian’s statement.

“He’s my partner.” Brian looked over at Justin who smiled at the words Brian had said just loud enough for him to hear.

“Why is he working here anyway? I thought he was your boy toy.”

“He is, but he’s recently become … much more.”

Michael frowned. “What’s going on, Brian? You seem to have changed. Everything has changed.”

“Even what I ordered for dinner,” Brian said facetiously. Then he added more thoughtfully, “You could be right about change.” He took a sip of his coffee, and made the customary face he always did when he drank the diner’s coffee, even though he always came back for more. All the while he was evaluating how much he was willing to tell Michael about what was going on.

“Are you going to talk to me about this?” Michael wanted to know. “Otherwise, I don’t see why you asked me to come here with you.”

Brian drew in a deep breath. “I’m sure that Emmett told you that I called him for information about Chase Hammond.” Michael nodded. “Well, Chase is a new client at Kinnetik,” Brian continued.

“And you call Emmett about all your new clients,” Michael sneered in disbelief at Brian’s so-called explanation.

Brian chuckled. “Not bloody likely.”

“Then why this time?”

“I guess that’s what set off the alarm bells,” Brian observed and Michael nodded again. Drawing in another deep breath, Brian said very quietly, “Chase Hammond might be my half brother.”

Michael’s jaw dropped. “B…brother?”

“Half brother.”

“But how…?”

“The usual way. My dear old dad screwed some woman other than Joanie.” Then Brian proceeded to tell Michael the whole sordid little story about how Chase Hammond had come to find him, and the proof that he had, or what proof Chase thought he had of their common parentage in the form of a birth certificate with the Kinney name on it. Michael listened intently, obviously pleased that Brian had finally confided in him. He asked a question or two but mostly just listened to what Brian told him.

“So, Chase might be my half brother,” Brian concluded.

Michael shook his head. “Do you really think Jack…?”

“He always thought he was a lady’s man, so maybe he found a lady, and I use that term loosely, who agreed with him.”

“But he was so old,” Michael protested.

“He was a lot younger when this happened. Chase and I are almost the same age.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah, he was probably pissed at Joan for having another kid, so he went out and cheated on her. He would have thought that would serve her right. Just his luck to create another Kinney offspring while he was getting his revenge.”

“You sound like you believe Chase is your brother.”

“I don’t know if he is, but we do have some similar characteristics.”

“Like what?” Michael asked, as Debbie set their meals down in front of them.

Brian waited until Debbie left the table to answer Michael’s question. “He has my eyebrow.”

“Eyebrow?”

“This one,” Brian said raising his brow in his inimitable fashion.

Michael laughed as he chewed his burger. “That doesn’t prove much.”

“He’s tall like me and has the same kind of eyes.”

Michael looked quizzical when he heard that. “Anything else?”

“Cynthia thought we looked alike.”

Michael raised his own eyebrow. “Didn’t you think the two of you looked alike?”

“No, not really.”

“Then why are you telling me these things? It doesn’t sound much like proof.”

“It isn’t proof, but it’s a lot of coincidences. And, there is that birth certificate.”

Michael took a drink of his Pepsi as he considered what Brian had said. “I think you need more proof.”

“So do I. I have a private dick looking into it, and so does Chase.”

“Wow!” Michael reacted. “Are you trying to prove he is your brother, or that he isn’t your brother?”

Brian took a bite of his burger while he thought about that. “I…I’m starting to like Chase Hammond,” he admitted.

“You are?”

“Yeah, he’s a lot like…me.”

Michael laughed. “A clone, poor guy.”

“I need to use the restroom,” Brian said as he stood up. Michael was happily finishing his burger and attacking the fries. “You don’t tell anybody about this, understood?” Brian warned.

“Gotcha,” Michael said with a mouthful of food.

When Brian walked back from the restrooms, Justin was going by. They gave each other a gentle hip check.

“Five minutes,” Justin whispered.

“I’ll wait,” Brian replied. That earned him a sunshine smile.

Brian sat down in the booth with Michael who was finishing off his fries. He studied his friend. Michael seemed much happier now that he knew half of what was going on. Brian had no compunction about keeping his financial woes to himself.

“So, Mikey, are we okay?”

“Very,” Michael said with a grin.

“Good,” Brian replied. “Hey, Deb, can I get a refill?” he called holding up his cup to indicate he wanted more coffee while he waited for Justin to finish his shift.