- Text Size +

 

Blinded

Chapter 6

Brian awoke with a start. Without eyesight he was never sure what time of day it was. He had no rising or setting sun to give him clues, just perpetual darkness. Martin said he was going to show him how to read the hands on a clock with the glass removed. Maybe he would get a watch that functioned the same way.

He sat up in bed knowing that he was finished sleeping. It must be early because he heard no sounds of movement from the hallway. He was pretty sure his door was open. That was standard procedure for this place. He sat on the side of his bed scratching his ass and yawning. Then he remembered Justin's tape and smiled. He thought he might like to hear it again, especially the part about him looking great.

He reached for the edge of the nightstand and felt along the top. Finally he found the recorder and pushed the play button. Nothing happened. Brian frowned and tried the process again. Nothing happened. He pressed the release to open the recorder and felt for the tape. It was empty. How could it be empty? That was the last thing he remembered doing last night - listening to Justin's voice. Where could the tape be? He felt along the nightstand and could account for everything there, but there was no tape within his reach.

Maybe he had taken it out and it was in the drawer. He was sure he hadn't done that but it was worth a try. He played each of the two tapes he found in the drawer, waiting to see if Justin's voice would be there, then rewinding and trying again when he didn't hear the soft voice. Nothing was on either of the tapes and there was no sign of the third one. He wondered if it could be on the floor, knocked off while he was sleeping. But he was sure that he had never taken it out of the recorder.

Brian got down on the floor and felt all around the bed. There was no sign of another tape anywhere that he could feel. He was about to get back up when he heard his name being called.

"Mr. Kinney, where are you?"

It was Amanda. He heard her knock on the bathroom door.

"I'm down here," he said from the floor.

"What are you doing?"

"Looking for something."

"What?" she asked getting down beside him and rubbing up against him. All he had on was his underwear. He was about to get up when he decided to make use of her.

"I think I dropped a tape from my recorder. Do you see it anywhere?"

"There's nothing down here. Are you sure you dropped it?"

"No, not really. I guess I've misplaced it," Brian said knowing full well that he had not lost the tape. Something had happened to it.

"There was someone in the hall just now, but they disappeared down the stairs," Amanda said. "I came in to see if you were all right. He was near your door when I first saw him."

"What did he look like?"

"I don't really know. All I saw was the back of him, and then he disappeared into the stairwell."

"Could it have been an orderly … or someone from the hospital?" Brian asked, the seeds of fear beginning to grow in his head.

"At this time of night? I don't think so."

"What time is it?"

"5:10. Besides he was wearing a jacket for the outdoors."

"Who could it have been?"

"It was probably nothing, just someone checking on a relative. We got a couple of new patients yesterday," Amanda said logically.

"Yeah, that's probably it," Brian agreed wanting to believe that's all it was.

"Do you think we should get up from the floor, or do you like it down here with me?" Amanda asked as she leaned against him.

Brian had a fleeting thought of the thong and quickly got up. "What time did you say it was?" he asked.

"Just after five o'clock."

"Thanks."

"Well, if you don't want to play, I guess I better go get ready for the day nurse," Amanda stated with a worry-worn sigh and left the room.

Brian decided to have a shower and get dressed. He jacked off under the warm water picturing a lithe young body that went with the voice he had come to look forward to hearing every day. He couldn't explain what had happened to the tape. Maybe he could get Justin to make him another one. He missed the sound of the boy's voice. It was one of the few reassuring things in his world of darkness.

Breakfast arrived after a bit and he ate some of it. Meals were one of the markers of his day. He had grown to appreciate them.

Some time after breakfast Dr. Hagen arrived. He looked into Brian's eyes and did a cursory examination.

"You're looking better, Mr. Kinney. I understand you want to go home."

"That's right," Brian told him.

"Do you have someone to assist you when you get there?"

"I'm in the process of trying to arrange that."

"There's really no reason to keep you here longer. The bruising is disappearing and you don't need medical attention. Have you had any sensation of vision at all?" the doctor asked.

"Like what?" Brian asked not sure what Dr. Hagen was referring too.

"Sometimes there will be a lightening of the darkness and shadowy movement will be visible."

Brian sighed. "No, nothing like that. It's like it has been ever since I woke up from the coma."

"It's only a little over a week since you were mugged. You're doing remarkably well," the doctor said.

"Except for my sight."

"It'll come, Mr. Kinney."

"You better fucking be right," Brian threatened.

"I'm usually right," the doctor said confidently. "I'll leave instructions at the desk that you may be released once you've made the necessary arrangements. I'll want to see you once a week at my office. I'll leave my card on your nightstand."

"Doc … thanks," Brian said sincerely. He did feel that he would get his sight back, and the doctor had almost promised that. He just wished it would happen NOW!

"Good luck, Mr. Kinney."

Brian could tell the room was empty and he relaxed in his chair. Martin should be there soon. They were going to do the clock thing today.

-----

After lunch Martin put Brian through his paces. He made him do all the things he had learned in his room and in the hallway and then they ventured outside. Brian found that most frightening of all. There were so many unfamiliar noises and people. Brian didn't know which way to turn.

Martin explained that Brian would probably have few occasions to be out on his own, especially if he was having someone come live with him for a while, but it was best to know how to proceed should the occasion arise. Martin showed Brian how to use his cane to find curbs and to walk in a straight line by moving it back and forth to the same degree. Brian still found the whole experience disconcerting but he did his best. Martin said he did quite well for a first attempt. He then made Brian try to get back to his room with Martin staying several paces behind and only helping when really needed. He reminded Brian to memorize distances and any other markers that would help him find his way around. He said he wanted Brian to repeat the route the following day.

By the time he got back to his room Brian was exhausted. This kind of thing, dealing with new circumstances, took so much out of him. He slid onto his bed and closed his eyes. He had barely begun to relax when he sensed a presence in the doorway. He waited wondering if this was like what had happened the previous evening, but somehow it didn't feel the same.

"Who's there?" he asked after a minute.

"I'm sorry. I didn't want to wake you," a female voice replied.

"I wasn't asleep. Who are you?"

"Um … my name is Jennifer Taylor. I'm Justin's mother," the woman explained.

"Oh!" Brian said sitting up and swinging his legs off the side of the bed. "Come in. There's a chair over there by the window."

He sensed movement and then silence. He waited.

"I came to meet you after what Justin told me you had asked him to do," Jennifer finally said.

"He told me you or your husband would want to meet me."

"Frankly, Mr. Kinney, I don't understand why you would want a teenage boy to live with you when you go home."

"He must have explained that my blindness is temporary, and that no one really knows about it. I want to keep it that way," Brian explained.

"So you would rather have a teenager whom you've known for a few days than your family or friends? Or don't you have any friends?" she asked pointedly.

Brian chuckled. "I see you don't like to beat around the bush, Mrs. Taylor. I have friends, but not ones who can or would want to look after me. I just need someone for a few days until I re-learn the layout of the loft and how to do the basic daily chores."

"And you think Justin is a good one to help you do this?"

"I do."

"I don't think it's a good idea," Jennifer stated firmly. "He barely knows you."

"And I barely know him, but I trust him, and I think he trusts me."

"He seems to, but … I don't know," Jennifer hesitated.

"If you are so against Justin doing this for me, why are you here? Why didn't you just tell him no?"

"I did," she admitted. "And he went crazy on me."

"He did?" Brian chuckled. "I haven't seen that side of him."

"We've seen a lot of it over the last few months. He has been very belligerent and … discontented with everything."

Brian thought about that. He could feel the boy's burgeoning sexuality every time they were together. He wondered if that was the basis of Justin's belligerence. He was sure that Justin wanted freedom, especially sexual freedom, to explore the feelings that he was dealing with. Brian tried to remember what it had been like being a teenage virgin, but that was so long ago and had only been for such a brief time. By fourteen he was no longer a virgin. Justin had many years of pent up frustration to deal with.

"Mr. Kinney," Jennifer continued, "since he has started his community service here … with you, he has been much happier. At first he tried to refuse to come here, but since he met you, he seems to have a purpose to his life. He's more polite, tries his best with anything we ask him to do, and isn't negative about everything we suggest."

"Maybe he's growing up," Brian suggested.

"I'd like to think so. But whatever has happened, he's like the old Justin this last few days."

"So, does that mean that you're considering letting him come home with me?" Brian asked hopefully.

"I honestly don't know. I know he will be furious if we say no. I know that he shouldn't be going with someone he scarcely knows." She sighed.

"I really need him to help me, and … maybe I can help him."

"You seem like a nice man but I just don't know."

"Have you run this by the legal system?" Brian felt compelled to ask.

"No, I don't think they would allow it, but that may not be the best thing for my son, and I do want what's best for him."

"What if he took me home day after tomorrow when he's finished with school for the day? It'll be the weekend and he won't have classes. He could stay Friday and Saturday night and then be back home for Sunday night and school the next day. I'm sure I'll be able to fend for myself by then."

"That might work, but what if the parole people call?"

"Direct them to the loft. We'll be there. I'll vouch for him."

"I'll talk to my husband. We'll make a decision by tomorrow," Jennifer said.

"Thank you. You won't regret it. I do need Justin's help," Brian said sincerely.

"You better keep up your end of this bargain," Jennifer warned. "Good day, Mr. Kinney."

Brian could feel the slight movement of air as Jennifer left the room. She was an interesting piece of work. He couldn't help but wonder why she came to see him and not her husband. It didn't really matter though. Things looked more promising than they had in a long time.

-----

Brian had fallen asleep by the time Justin arrived after school. When he woke up Justin was ensconced in the chair by the window. He had his sketchbook out and was drawing the sleeping Brian. He wished he had the naked form visible to capture on paper, but he was concentrating on Brian's face and that wasn't too bad to look at. He would leave out the blotchy bruises that were still visible around the man's eyes. They wouldn't be there too much longer anyway.

Brian turned in his sleep and knew that someone was in his room before he opened his eyes. "Who's there?" he demanded.

"It's me, Justin," the boy replied. "I tried not to disturb you."

"I wouldn't have minded," Brian admitted. Spending time with Justin was about the only part of his day that he enjoyed. "How long have you been here?"

"Long enough to sketch you," Justin said smugly. "It turned out great."

"Wish I could see it," Brian replied with a shrug.

"I'm sorry. I just … I like how it turned out," Justin said feeling that he had upset Brian.

"I hope to see it soon."

"Me too."

"I had a visitor earlier," Brian said changing the subject.

Justin tensed up. He had thought so. "Which one was it?" Justin asked.

"Your mother."

"That's better than my father. I guess he was too busy with work," Justin added.

Brian heard something in Justin's voice that raised an alarm bell, but he didn't know if this was the right time to pursue it. "Your mother seems … nice."

"Did she give you the third degree?"

"And fourth and fifth. Mostly she wondered why I wanted a teenager to live with me instead of my friends," Brian explained.

"What did you say?" Justin asked wondering how Brian handled his mother.

"That I liked you and trusted you, and you would do a good job," Brian said honestly.

Justin was grinning from ear to ear at Brian's words. "You said that?" he asked.

"It's the truth. She seemed to think your attitude had improved since you've been coming to help me."

Justin snorted. "They like me if I'm one hundred percent cooperative. As soon as I express an opinion that doesn't agree with theirs, I'm belligerent."

"That's the word she used to describe you."

Justin snorted again. "Figures."

"Anyway she seemed satisfied with my answers. She said she would make a decision tomorrow and we might be able to go home for the weekend."

"She said that?" Justin asked smiling once again.

"Pretty much, but you have to observe your curfew and do your schoolwork while you're with me."

"Sure," Justin said.

"And I'll know whether you do or not," Brian warned. "I can hear it in your voice."

"Yes, daddy," Justin said sarcastically.

Brian tensed and frowned. "Do you know what that term means in the gay world?" he asked bluntly.

"What term?" Justin asked.

Obviously the boy was clueless. "Do you see the tape you made for me anywhere around here?" Brian asked changing the subject.

"It was in the recorder."

"Yeah, I know, but this morning it was gone."

"Gone?" Justin asked getting up and looking around. He found the recorder which contained one tape. It had nothing on it, as he soon discovered when he played it. He found another tape in the nightstand but there was no sign of the third one. Justin looked under the bed and the nightstand and the chair. "It's not around here," he said. "Did you flush it down the toilet?"

"No, twat."

"What's a twat?" Justin asked.

Brian groaned. "You have so much to learn."

"And you're just the person to teach me?" Justin asked innocently.

Brian knew there were lots of things he'd like to teach Justin Taylor, but he had to bide his time and be very careful. It would not happen unless Justin wanted it to. "If you make me another tape, I'll teach you whatever you want to learn," Brian said with a grin.

"You liked the other tape."

Brian nodded. "I did."

Justin's smile grew broader. "You don't need a tape, you know. You have the real thing right here."

Brian felt his cock grow hard at Justin's words. Having the boy around the loft might be more difficult than he thought.