- Text Size +

 

Should Old Acquaintance

Chapter 11

<><><><><><><><><><><>

Justin was preparing his canvas for the new version of Patrick Taylor and his daughter. He was still feeling a little funny about copying Kinney's original painting, but Sidney had convinced him that people would love to see the finished painting at the gallery showing of the newfound Kinneys. Tomorrow he would sketch in the outline of Patrick and Bree. He was going to use Bree's face for the baby since she seemed to look so much like the sketch. It gave him a slightly eerie feeling, like he was somehow resurrecting the past.

He was out in the sun porch at his favorite place to paint and that made him feel better. He could hear the carpenters constructing the frame for the foundation of John and Bobby's cottage. The bulldozers had left the day before. Things were moving along.

He looked out at the area where his sun porch would be linked with the new one that would join the two houses together. It was going to take a little getting used to. He had loved the cottage ever since the first time he had laid eyes on it, but now there would be two houses joined together, and John and Bobby would be living there with them … permanently.

Justin loved his brother-in-law and his spouse, but this seemed so final, like they were somehow trapped, doomed to be together for all time. Justin wasn't sure where this feeling had come from, but he didn't like it much at all. The big problem was that it was too late to do anything about it. All the plans were under way.

A tap on the door to the sun porch pulled Justin out of his reverie. He opened the door and smiled at John.

"I saw you standing there lost in thought," John said as he came inside.

"I guess I was," Justin said. "Would you like some coffee?"

"Sounds great."

They moved into the kitchen and Justin poured them each a cup of coffee. They could hear Patrick and Briana playing in the living room.

"They seem to be getting along well," John observed.

"For now," Justin said with an enigmatic look.

John frowned. "Is something wrong?"

"I … I guess I'm having second thoughts about the whole "join-the-cottages-together" thing."

"You are?"

"It just struck me that it's so permanent. What if we have a fight over something, and we don't get along anymore?"

"Do you think that's likely?" John asked truly surprised at Justin's comment. "We get along so well, and Bobby and I have lived here for the past few months. We'll actually have more room, more space when we get our cottage here."

"I know," Justin sighed. "I guess I'm worrying about nothing."

John nodded, but he suddenly felt a little less happy about the direction things were going. "You know, we can still call a halt to this if you don't want us here."

"That … that's not what I want. I do want you here. I love having meals with you guys and Patrick. Bree would be lost without him."

"Then, what's the problem?"

"Things change … over time. Nothing ever stays the same forever."

"Then if the changes become a problem, you tell me and we'll work something out."

"Thanks, John," Justin said standing up and giving John a hug.

"Where's Brian?" John asked. "I thought you guys were taking some time at home."

"We are. Brian's gone into Pittsburgh to bring back Gus and Lacy."

"Lacy?"

"Yeah," Justin chuckled. "They're going to help me put together some more of my journal. We could have done it in the city, but it's such a beautiful day that I thought we could have a picnic lunch. It'll be good for Lacy to get some fresh country air."

"She seems like an … interesting girl."

"To say the least," Justin laughed.

"I better get back to work," John said standing up. "I hope you're all right with what we talked about."

"I'm fine," Justin said. "And I better get our picnic lunch made before Brian gets back. Care to join us?"

"If you don't think I'll be spending too much time with you," John said sticking his tongue in his cheek and looking so much like Brian. "I'd love to."

"Asshole," Justin laughed and pitched a carrot that he had just pulled out of the fridge at John. John beat a hasty retreat.

When Brian arrived with the youngsters, Justin had their lunch all packed in the thermal bag. He had Patrick and Bree all doused in suntan lotion and ready for their excursion to the stream.

"Hey, Lacy," Justin said when they all came in.

"Wow, what a great house!" Lacy said looking around. "But why is there a construction zone next door?"

"We'll let my brother explain," Brian said.

"He's joining us for lunch," Justin added. "We might as well get started. Gus, can you grab the chairs and blanket for me?"

"Sure," Gus said as he picked up the two folding chairs and the blanket. We don't usually take chairs."

"Somebody may feel more like sitting in one of them than on the grass," Justin explained.

"Is that an age crack?" Brian demanded with a scowl.

"I didn't say anything about you," Justin chuckled and gave Brian a sweet kiss on the cheek. "Onward to the stream, troops!"

They made their way down to the stream and found a shady spot to set out the blanket. Nobody was particularly hungry, and John had yet to arrive, so Patrick and Bree ran around chasing each other. Justin and Lacy sprawled out on the blanket, and Gus asked Brian to show him how to skip stones again. He was getting better at it, but hadn't quite mastered his father's fine technique.

After they skipped a few stones, Gus sat down on the big rock and Brian joined him. "What do you want to talk about, Sonny Boy?" Brian asked.

"How did you know I wanted to talk?"

"You can skip stones almost as well as I can. You don't need my help. So tell me what's on your mind."

Gus turned his head and looked back at Justin and Lacy who were lying on the blanket talking while keeping an eye on the kids. "I … I like her," Gus said.

"I like her too," Brian said with a frown.

"No, Dad, I LIKE her," Gus repeated with a different emphasis.

"Oh?" Brian replied suddenly taken aback. That was not at all what he had suspected.

"She's pretty, and I feel things when I'm around her."

"She's a little old for you," Brian said, being practical, and since he had nothing better to say.

"She's only a couple of years older than me, but that's not really the problem."

"What is the problem?"

"She has a crush on Justin."

"What? She looks up to Justin. She'd like to be like Justin, but a crush…" Brian let his voice trail off as he watched Lacy laughing at something Justin had said. She leaned closer to him at every opportunity.

"See," Gus said. "She never even notices I'm around when Justin is there."

"There could be other reasons for that," Brian said but he continued to watch Justin and Lacy.

"So, you're going to paint the portrait with Bree's face?" Lacy asked. "I think that's brilliant."

"Thanks," Justin chuckled. "There's nothing brilliant about it. The sketch looks like Bree."

"But you'll be doing it. I can't wait to see it."

"Thanks," Justin said again. Sometimes Lacy was a little over the top. "How are things going at Deb's?" he asked changing the subject.

"Oh, fine. I feel like I'm following in your footsteps. I've been thinking about taking some night courses."

"That's great."

"You think so?" Lacy asked leaning over toward Justin bringing their faces close together.

"Yeah, I think we better get lunch out," Justin said suddenly feeling uncomfortable. He looked up to see Brian's eyes on him.

Lunch was quickly laid out and Justin made a big deal of sitting Bree on his knee and feeding her. He wanted to keep Lacy at a distance. Gus sat down beside Lacy trying to get her attention. She had no eyes for anyone except Justin. John joined them and watched as Brian kept a constant eye on Lacy. He wondered what was going on.

When lunch was finished, Lacy helped them clean up and then volunteered to take Bree and Patrick back to the house with Gus while Brian and Justin gathered up the blanket and chairs.

"I think we have a problem, Brian said.

"I know. I thought she'd get over it, but it's getting worse."

"Are you going to talk to her?"

"Not today," Justin said with a sigh. "We should be able to get most of the journal organized and then I'm backing away."

"If she lets you," Brian said as he strode towards the house.

<><><><><><><><><><><>

It dawned on Brian that the faster Justin's notes and the Kinney journal were organized, the faster they could distance themselves from Lacy. But Gus, who was doing his best not to develop his own crush on Lacy, might get hurt in the process. Brian was really dreading that possibility but he might not be able to prevent it.

After dinner, the whole group sat at the long table in the porch to help Justin complete the journal. With everyone working in tandem, all the notes, letters and journal pages were placed in chronological order. It was now just a matter of putting them into binders. Bobby's contribution was his ability to create an index and a cross reference appendix. A few hours later, it was all done.

John and Brian put the little ones to bed. Gus and Lacy were content to blow things up on a computer game. Bobby put the kettle on for tea and began to rustle up something for dessert. Justin settled back on the settee, his favorite spot in the whole cottage, other than in bed with Brian, to skim through the newly organized journal.

He chuckled out loud as he read through some of his own notes of their exploits traipsing through the jungle and the attack of the dreaded dart frog. The hackles on the back of his neck were raised as he read about the priest who had dared to cover up the Kinney paintings when he found out the artist was gay. And he smiled at the picture of the stained glass window of Kinney as a prophet or teacher with his hand out toward Patrick and his followers. All good memories but somewhat sad.

The strain of it all was getting to Justin as he looked through the glass of the sun porch and spied the construction site. A few trees had to be sacrificed for the project, it added to Justin's mixed feelings about the joining of the two homes. He felt stupid, guilty, and embarrassed all at the same time. And then there was the journal. Justin felt their pain. He wished he could be magically transported to Kinney's time to take them both back to the present where Kinney and Patrick could live and love in peace.

When the family reconvened in the porch, they found Justin with red-rimmed eyes and a sniffling swollen nose.

"Do you want us to make ourselves scarce?" John whispered to his brother, knowing that it was a Brian comforting Justin moment in the making.

"No. That would only make him feel worse. Just act normal, well normal for us. Pass out the tea and cookies and show Gus and Lacy some of the 'finer' moments of our trip down south. He'll be fine."

"Okay."

John took Brian's suggestion and quietly orchestrated the seating of Gus and Lacy at one of the wicker tables to show them the photos to their trip. Bobby brought in milk for the teenagers and also some fruit to go with the treats. Brian gently removed the binder from Justin's hands then settled himself on the settee with his spouse, gently maneuvering Justin so that Brian sat down behind him with Justin up against Brian's chest and half in his lap.

Bobby placed a couple of cups of tea on a small end table near the lovers, close within their reach. Brian nodded and smiled at the redhead who knew what Brian was trying to do. Gus gratefully accepted a glass of milk from his uncle and snagged a few cookies. Gus, who was privy to seeing his Dad comfort Justin many times, was warmed by his father's strength and love. Lacy was slightly embarrassed by it all.

"It's okay, Sunshine," Brian whispered into Justin's ear and carefully reached for a cup and saucer. He placed the comforting herbal brew into Justin's hand and encouraged a sip. With each sip, Brian felt his lover relax more and more. When the cup was empty, Justin was asleep, nestled into Brian's strong arms, the cup and saucer safely back on the table.

"Um, should we go inside?" Lacy asked hesitantly to no one in particular.

"No, you'll get used to it." Bobby said matter-of-factly. He was quite used to the supposed stoic, non-emotional Brian giving comfort to Justin, and had been on the receiving end of the big lug's comfort a few times too.

"Yeah, Pop and Justin get mushy all the time. They're worse than my moms," Gus giggled. John and Bobby joined in the joke then cracked up further as they watched Brian try unsuccessfully to stop them with a death glare.

"Not working, li'l bro. We're onto you," John laughed at Brian's exaggerated sigh.

"But won't we wake Justin up?" Lacy ventured. She thought they were being rude.

"Nah, Justin can sleep when he's secure in Brian's arms. Nothing will wake him," Bobby explained.

"Oh. Um, how do I get home?" Lacy didn't think she was going to stay the night.

"I can drive you back or you can stay the night. I have business in Pittsburgh tomorrow."

Taking out his cell, John called Debbie so she wouldn't worry. "There, all settled. There's a bunk bed in Gus' room or you can use the futon in Brian's office." John indicated toward the spiral staircase.

"Okay," Lacy said as she bit into another cookie.

It was all so natural for them all seeing Brian and Justin wrapped up together, seemingly without a care in the world. Even as Brian shifted so he could remove Justin's sneakers and his own shoes then settle back down again, Justin stayed asleep, subconsciously knowing Brian was near. Brian and Justin were more than just partners and lovers, they were mates for life. No one, nothing would ever change that.

"Uncle John?"

"Yes, Gus?"

"Was Pop really attacked by a frog?" Brian let out a very loud sigh as his brother regaled them all about Brian's first run-in with a bullfrog and then his subsequent 'attacks.' He slipped into sleep as Bobby told the story of the attack of the poison dart frog.

<><><><><><><><><><><>

"Hey."

"Hey yourself, Sunshine. How you feeling?"

"Better. What time is it?"

"About seven-thirty."

"In the morning?"

"Yup."

"Did we sleep out here all night?"

"That's also a big yup."

"The last thing I remember was you handing me a cup of tea."

"You must have been very tired; you fell asleep after the last sip."

"I didn't do anything stupid, did I?"

"No, you were an angel."

"Silly man."

"Yup. And this silly man has to pee and it's my turn to make breakfast. So let me get up and do that thing I do." Brian stretched, kissed Justin then made a beeline for the bathroom. Justin giggled softly to himself. Brian Kinney, silly man, love of his life, his great protector and the maker of the best bacon and eggs this side of Pittsburgh.

Justin opened the sun porch door to let in the fresh summer air, the sunlight streaming in, sparkling against their crystal chandelier. He again looked over at the construction site. Gordon and his crew were arriving. Gordon waved over at Justin and Justin waved back.

"Hey Sunshine, who are you waving at?" Brian asked as he brought in a mug of coffee for Justin.

"Gordon and his crew." Justin took an appreciative sip of his morning caffeine and smiled his full wattage at his lover.

"There's the Sunshine I know and love. You had me worried for a while."

"I know. I was feeling..."

"Lesbianic?"

"A little, but I'm better now. I think I'll do a little painting today!"

"He's baaaccck! Breakfast first, little boy, then you can paint to your heart's content." Brian leaned down to kiss Justin's nose then led his husband to the kitchen.

Lacy watching from the balcony, smiled then shrugged her shoulders. "I wonder if Rage can cook?" Lacy mumbled to herself as she hurried down the stairs for breakfast.

Brian was in full chef mode when Lacy arrived in the kitchen. He had bacon frying and scrambled eggs cooking and toast that just popped.

"Can I help?" Lacy asked.

"Butter the toast," Brian ordered as he stirred the eggs and flipped the bacon.

"You do that very well," Lacy said with a grin.

"Thank you, fair lady."

Lacy blushed and buttered some more toast. "I didn't think Rage could cook," she grinned.

"Rage has many talents," Brian smirked as he plated the eggs and turned off the bacon. He took out the strips laying them on a paper towel to get rid of the excess grease. "Order up," Brian bellowed and Lacy went into a fit of laughter. "What?" Brian asked as the family began to assemble in the kitchen.

"I just had this hilarious vision of you as the short order cook at the Liberty Diner."

"Bite your tongue!" Brian said. "Or I'll have to use my mind control abilities to wipe your brain clear."

"You can't do that, can you?" Lacy asked in mock horror.

"Only the Shadow knows," Brian said and then uttered an eerie laugh worthy of a forties radio broadcast.

"Quit trying to scare the girl," John said as he came in with Patrick.

"She asked for it," Brian replied like a little boy who had been caught doing something bad. He set out all the plates of food along the counter. Everyone grabbed a plate and loaded up heading out to the long table in the sun porch to sit down for their meal.

"These eggs are great," Lacy said. "What's the little green specks?"

"Chives," Justin smiled.

"And a dash of rosemary," Brian smirked.

"Right out of Brian's herb garden," Justin added.

"You have an herb garden?" Lacy asked in amazement.

"I do. I told you Rage has many talents."

"I'm beginning to see that there's a lot more to things … and people than meet the eye," Lacy said thoughtfully.

"And I bet there's a lot more to you than meets the eye too," Brian observed.

"A well rounded life is a good life," Justin grinned.

"As long as it doesn't all go to your ass," Brian smirked.

"Why you!" Justin sputtered. "Them's fighting words."

"Wrestle you in bed tonight," Brian laughed and waggled an eyebrow.

Lacy watched the easy banter and began to understand even more about what Brian and Justin had together. She decided that she might like the same thing for herself … if she could ever get that lucky.