- Text Size +

 

Should Old Acquaintance

Chapter 19

<><><><><><><><><><><>

The guests at the baptism had made their way back to the house. Joan had walked with Claire and her husband, but then Claire had disappeared to change into some dry clothes. Joan stood just inside the door of the sun porch and looked at the large group of people who had come there to help her son and his partner celebrate this joyous occasion for their daughter.

Joan had trouble getting her head around that concept, but she was there and she would have to make the best of it. She saw Father Tom talking to the priest who had arrived at the last minute. She wondered who this man really was and how Brian had found a man of the cloth from South America who would come all the way to Pennsylvania to take part in a baptism. When did her son get so friendly with priests? Joan shook her head.

"Hello," a young voice said from beside her.

Joan turned and looked at the younger version of her son. "Hello, Gus," Joan said formally.

"You know my name?"

"Of course, I do," Joan said rather testily. "I'm your grandmother."

"Then why don't you ever come to visit me?" Gus asked with a frown.

Joan blanched, but managed to say, "Because I've never been invited."

"I remember a Christmas a few years ago when I was just a little kid. Dad took me down to the street to meet you. He gave you something and asked you to come up to the party. You refused."

"Yes, I guess I did. I wasn't ready then."

"But you're ready today?"

"I'm here."

Gus smiled. "Would you like some sandwiches? Auntie Emm makes great sandwiches," Gus said extending his arm for Joan to take it.

Joan linked her arm through her grandson's and walked towards the food table with him. Gus handed her a plate and told her which of Emmett's sandwiches were the best. Joan was pleased at how polite and considerate this young man was, not at all like his father. She took Gus' suggestions and loaded a plate. Gus pointed out a couple of chairs and led his grandmother over to take one of the seats.

"You have excellent manners," Joan said as she sat and smoothed the skirt of her dress.

"Thanks," Gus smiled. "My mothers would be happy to hear that."

Joan winced at the plural of the word. Gus used it so casually, but then he had been brought up in the midst of perversion. He didn't know anything else. Joan watched her grandson eat his sandwiches slowly and genteelly. His mothers must have done something right. Joan could barely believe that she was endorsing lesbians, and she shuddered involuntarily.

As Joan nibbled at her sandwich, she watched the people around her. Father Tom was still talking to the other priest. Her daughter and her husband and the boys were in a little group together. They seemed to be enjoying themselves. She could see a tall man bustling around checking on everything. He looked kind of familiar.

"Who is that man?" she asked Gus, deciding she wanted to know who the obviously gay man was.

"That's Auntie Emm," Gus said. "You're eating his sandwiches."

"Oh my! I thought Auntie Emm was a woman," Joan replied.

"Nope," Gus laughed. "Auntie Emm," he called. The tall man bustled over.

"What can I do for you, Guster?" Emmett asked.

"Do you know my Grandma Joan?"

"We met at your husband's funeral," Emmett said thinking back. "That was longer ago than I care to remember."

"Yes," Joan said clutching at the collar of her dress.

"You have a great kid there," Emmett said pointing at Gus. Gus blushed. "He takes after his dad in a lot of ways."

"Really?" Joan asked. She saw very little similarity between Gus and her son other than their physical attributes.

"He has a good heart, just like his father," Emmett continued. No one else had wanted to sit with Joan, and Gus actually seemed to be enjoying himself. "Brian has done a lot for me and many others as well," Emmett explained. "When I was starting up my party planning business, he sent me a lot of customers and helped me get through the first couple of years. They were difficult ones."

"Brian did that?"

"Yes, he did. He's got so many contacts in Pittsburgh. People would do almost anything he asked."

"This is my Brian you're talking about?" Joan asked with a frown.

"Most definitely. And he and Justin are the best parents."

"I see," Joan replied although she didn't really see at all. She wasn't sure this flamboyant man really knew what he was talking about.

"I need to check on the sandwich trays," Emmett said before bustling off.

"Who's that woman?" Joan asked Gus, pointing at Jennifer.

"That's Grandma Jenn," Gus said. Joan raised her eyebrows. "She's Justin's mother."

"So you have two grandma's now counting me," Joan smiled. She did like the sound of that.

"Actually I have tons of grandmothers," Gus laughed. "There's both my moms' parents, but I never see much of them. And then there's Grandma Debbie and Grandma Claire."

"Grandma Claire?" Joan asked. "But she's your aunt."

"No, not that Claire, that one!" Gus said pointing at Claire Anderson-McNally.

"Oh?" Joan said. She remembered the woman from the Kinney art show. She had forgotten that her name was Claire, like her own daughter's. Joan frowned and stared at the woman.

Claire Anderson-McNally felt eyes drilling into her back and turned to face Joan Kinney. She smiled and began moving across the room towards the woman and Gus.

"Hi, Grandma Claire," Gus said. "Do you want to sit down?"

"Yes, Gus, I think it's time," Claire said with a smile. Gus got up and walked over to his cousins. They looked like they were having fun. "So, Joan, it's good to finally meet you."

Joan gave a little huff before she said, "Jack's little piece on the side."

Claire chuckled. "I had him long before you did, dear. I could call you the same thing."

"But he married me and stayed with me," Joan stated with a smug look.

"Because I never told him about John."

"You didn't?" Joan asked raising her eyebrows once more. There were so many strange and surprising revelations this day.

"I knew he had to go away to make money and to further his life. I never told him about John because I didn't want to hold him back. And then he started a family in Pittsburgh. I didn't want to destroy that."

"Like you could have…" Joan sputtered.

"Oh, I could have all right, but I chose not to."

"Don't let on that you did me a favor," Joan said huffily.

"I know now that I didn't. I didn't do Jack any favor either." Joan cringed, because she knew Claire was right. They had made each other miserable over the years of their marriage. "I think it's time that we lay all the things from the past to rest. We all came here to celebrate Briana's baptism. It should be a happy day. Are you happy, Joan?"

Joan snorted. "I'm fine."

"Of course you are."

Joan stared at Claire. "Are you happy?" she asked in return.

"Definitely," Claire smiled. "That's my husband Steve, over there. And you've met my son, John. He and Brian look so much alike." Joan nodded. "And that's Patrick, my grandson," Claire said pointing to the little redhead who was walking into the sun porch holding Bree's hand. Bree was decked out in the new dress that Brian had bought for her. "They're so sweet," Claire said beaming with pride.

"She's a beautiful little girl," Joan had to admit. "And he's a cute boy," she added as an afterthought.

"They play together all the time. They're as close as brother and sister."

"Really?" Joan said. She didn't know what to make of all these grandmothers and sisters and brothers who weren't really related at all, at least not by blood. She wasn't even Briana's grandmother by blood. She felt a chill run up her spine, even in the warm August air.

"Brian and Justin are so proud," Claire said smiling at the proud parents who followed their daughter into the throng of guests.

Joan studied the smiling faces. Everyone seemed to be truly happy, even Claire Anderson, even her own daughter. Why was she the only one who had been left out of everything all this time? She couldn't see that it had all been of her own doing.

Briana and Patrick walked over to the food table and looked up. Bree turned to her fathers and said, "Hungy, Dada."

Brian immediately picked her up and held a sandwich for her to nibble on. Everyone watched with smiles on their faces as Brian gave a gentle kiss to the top of the little blond head. "You done good, Squirt," Brian whispered into her hair. Bree smiled and patted her father's face.

John came over and helped Patrick get a dish of the food that he wanted. The two handsome brothers surveyed the guests as they held their children and the food.

"I think everything went very well," John said to Brian.

"Of course it did," Brian said sucking his lips into his mouth.

John laughed. "You are such an a…" Brian raised an eyebrow stopping John from saying more. "With this little angel, how could it not?" he asked leaning over to kiss Bree's cheek. The little girl giggled with pleasure. She liked being the center of attention, even though she had had to get one of her new dresses wet.

Joan watched the exchange along with the other guests. She had never seen Brian act like that. He was so gentle and loving with Briana. She wondered if he had been that way with Gus too. She had never known that side of Brian existed.

"Well, Joan, it was nice to finally meet you," Claire said. "I should get back to my husband."

"Certainly," Joan said wondering if she would be left to sit all by herself.

"Hello, Mrs. Kinney," Michael said sliding into the chair that Claire had just vacated.

"Hello, Michael," Joan replied. "How are you?"

"I'm just fine. You look very nice today," Michael added deciding to be as nice as possible to the woman who sent shivers down his spine when he looked at her. "I just wanted to tell you that it's really great you came today. I know it means a lot to Brian."

Again Joan's eyebrows went up in surprise. "It means a lot … to Brian?" she asked.

"Right, it's a day for family."

"I hardly think Brian considers me family," Joan said with bitterness.

Michael swallowed hard. "If you don't mind me saying so, Mrs. Kinney, you are his mother, and his family, if you would only give him a chance."

"A chance? Whatever do you mean?"

Michael sighed. "You're so judgmental about him."

"I beg your pardon," Joan said haughtily. "I have done nothing but warn him about what will happen to his immortal soul."

"What about what that does to him here on Earth?" Michael asked letting his voice rise a little in agitation.

"What?"

"It hurts him when you tell him he is going to Hell. All he wants is for you to love him."

"Of course, I love him. I love both my children."

Michael realized he was getting nowhere, but it had been worth a try, in spite of the fact that Brian would kill him if he ever found out what he had just told his mother. "Brian has been my best friend for years and he's a good man, Mrs. Kinney. I wouldn't have my business without his help."

"Is that so?" Joan asked. Here was another person telling her how Brian had helped them in business.

"That's so," Michael said sadly as he stood up.

John and Bobby arrived carrying Patrick, and Michael quickly moved away. "Hello, Joan," John said in a familiar voice. "It's nice to see you here today."

"Hello, Mr. Anderson," Joan replied formally.

"Please, call me John. This is my husband, Bobby," John said watching Joan flinch at his use of that term. "And our son, Patrick. Say hello to the lady, Patrick."

"Hello," Patrick said with a smile.

"I saw you walk in with Briana, young man. You looked very grown up," Joan said.

"Thank you," Patrick said with a smile.

"Mrs. Kinney, Brian is so pleased that you're here," Bobby added.

"Is he really?" Joan asked. She had been told that so many times today that she was almost beginning to believe it. Bobby nodded. "There are certainly enough people here," Joan observed.

"Brian has done a lot of things for a lot of people. He's well respected and well loved," Bobby said laying it on a little thick.

"And did he help you start your business too, Mr. …?"

"Call me Bobby. No, not exactly. I'm a lawyer, but he has sent some business my way. I was thinking more of how he saved our wedding. It would have been a disaster without all Brian's hard work and know-how."

"You had an actual wedding … in a church?"

"No," John smiled sadly. "It was at the farm. We're not allowed to marry officially in Pennsylvania, not in the eyes of the government, but it was a lovely ceremony nonetheless, wasn't it, Bobby?"

"The best," Bobby smiled and reached up to give John a sweet kiss. Patrick hugged his dads and leaned in to get some of the kissing too.

Joan watched with eyes that still had trouble believing what they were seeing. This all seemed so normal, so right, but she knew that none of it was acceptable at all.

"I saw you talking to mother," John said. "Have you met her husband?"

"No, not yet," Joan said wondering why they would want her to meet the man.

"Steve works at the Farm and helps young people get back on the right track with their lives. He worked with your daughter's boys," Bobby explained.

"Yes, I remember," Joan said wondering why Claire's children had needed the Farm. Joan had wanted to do her duty. She would have taken the boys and straightened them out. She had even tried to sue for custody, but they never gave her the chance. She remembered all the hard feelings that had engendered.

"Brian saved the Farm when he and Justin found the Kinney paintings. All the proceeds go to financing the Farm," Bobby said before he remembered Joan's part in claiming the paintings for herself. That had caused a lot of strife for them all, until Joan's claims had been refuted. Joan visibly paled at the memory.

"We better get some more food for this young man," John said hastily and they moved away.

Father Tom walked over to Joan. He was accompanied by Father Paul. "Joan, I'd like you to meet Father Paul all the way from Santa Ana, Venezuela. Joan is Brian's mother," Father Tom explained.

"Ah, Brian's mother. It was such a pleasure to have Brian, Justin, John and Bobby come to my small church in Santa Ana. They left behind such a heritage for the church. They were so generous with their contributions. You are a lucky woman to have such a son." Joan opened her mouth to protest but nothing would come out. "I am so happy to be here today for this wonderful event."

"Thank you for assisting with the baptism," Joan finally managed to say.

"Anything for Brian and his family," Father Paul stated sweeping his arm around to indicate the whole room.

"Let's get something to drink," Father Tom said. "Would you like something?" he asked Joan.

"A glass of wine would be lovely," she said, suddenly feeling the need for something to calm her nerves. This day was beginning to be too much.

The two clergymen went off to get the drinks. Ted Schmidt sidled up to Joan and introduced himself. "I was at your husband's funeral," Ted explained.

"Ah, yes," Joan remembered. "You were with that man," Joan said pointing at Emmett who was still flitting about.

"Emmett, yes," Ted smiled. "I just wanted to say that Brian is very pleased that you came today."

"Why does everybody keep telling me that?" Joan demanded.

"Maybe because it's true," Ted said. "I've been … friends with Brian for a long time."

"You're one of them?" she asked.

Ted gave a rueful smile. "Yes, I'm gay."

"And proud of it," Debbie said coming up to Joan. "How are you, Joan? This is my husband, Carl Horvath."

"Oh, you're married?" Joan asked.

"Yes, just recently. Carl's a great guy." Carl smiled fondly at Debbie and kissed her cheek.

"And what do you do, Carl?" Joan asked.

"I'm a retired police officer, and now I work for Brian."

"Brian?"

"Yes, I manage his club," Carl said. "Ted works for Brian too."

"Both of you work at a club?" This was news to Joan. She had no idea Brian owned a club.

"No," Ted laughed. "I work at Kinnetik. I'm the CFO there. Brian gave me a chance when I had some problems … a few years ago. He helped me turn my life around."

"That's wonderful," Joan said her eyes wide with amazement. This day just got stranger and stranger.

"And here's the girl of the hour," Debbie squealed leaning over to pinch Briana's cheek as Justin and Brian brought her over to Joan.

Bree giggled and looked up affectionately at Debbie. "Gamma Debbie," she laughed.

"Briana, this is your grandma too," Justin said. "Say hello to Grandma Joan."

Brian watched Joan's face. He saw it soften at Justin's words. Justin was far kinder than he would have been.

"Gamma Doan," Bree said walking to Joan's knee and raising her arms to be picked up.

"She wants to be picked up," Brian said.

"I can see that," Joan retorted.

"Let me help you," Justin said. He picked up Bree and set her on Joan's lap. Bree turned and kissed Joan's cheek.

Brian thought he saw a tear glisten in Joan's eye as she tilted her head and kissed Bree's cheek. That was the first time … ever, that Brian could remember Joan kissing anyone. He shook his head slightly.

"You look very lovely today, Briana," Joan said wrapping her arm around the little girl's waist.

"New dwess," Bree said patting her baptism outfit.

"Me too," Joan replied smoothing her own skirt.

"Pwetty," Bree said.

"Thank you, dear," Joan said and she really meant that. She looked up into Brian's eyes. She thought she could see tears there that matched the ones in her own eyes.