- Text Size +

 

Should Old Acquaintance

Chapter 3

<><><><><><><><><><><>

"Brian?" Justin said as he answered the phone.

"Hi, Sunshine," came Brian's response. Justin could hear the smile in his voice.

"You're calling early in the morning." Justin and John had just finished feeding the kids. "What's up?"

"I have big news."

"You do? What happened?"

"Edna managed to find six new Kinney paintings and some sculptures. I'm having them sent by UPS to Sidney. They should be in Pittsburgh this afternoon. I thought you might want to go into the city and see them when they arrive at Sidney's."

"Holy fucking shit! Six more! And some sculptures." John raised an eyebrow and stared at Justin wondering what this conversation was all about. "Edna certainly was busy."

"She was a game old doll. We owe her a lot."

"That's for sure."

"The other reason you might want to come to the city is that Bobby and I have managed to book a flight home for late this afternoon. We'll be back in Pittsburgh just before ten tonight."

"You're coming home so soon?" Justin gasped. "That's the best news of all."

"I'm glad you feel that way. We have some papers to sign this morning and a few loose ends to tie up, but Bobby and I both wanted to get home as soon as we could."

"That's wonderful." John was looking askance at Justin wondering what was going on. Justin gave him a thumbs up, and mouthed that he would explain.

"Here's the flight info," Brian said and Justin quickly jotted it down. "And bring Bree with you," Brian begged.

"But that's way past her bedtime."

"I know, and if she's asleep, that's fine. I just really need to see her little face … and yours."

"Okay, she'll be there," Justin said knowing how hard it had been for Brian to leave Bree in the first place.

"I love you," Brian whispered.

"And I love you right back," Justin stated. "See you soon."

"Later," Brian said before cutting the connection.

"What was that all about?" John asked.

"They're coming home tonight," Justin said his face radiant with love.

"No way!"

"Yep, just before ten tonight."

"Then everything must have gone really well."

"Apparently."

"What was that about Bree?"

"Brian wants me to bring her to the airport. I don't think he can wait to hold her."

"And Bobby's coming with him?"

"Yes."

Just then John's cell phone rang and he rushed to answer it, knowing that it was probably Bobby telling him all the same things that Brian had told Justin. When John hung up, he had a big grin on his face.

"What?" Justin asked.

"Bobby wants me to bring Patrick too. We're going to have a couple of sleepy children to contend with, but Bobby decided that we should all take tomorrow off. We'll drive back here tonight after we pick them up. We can all sleep in as long as we want."

"That sounds like a plan. If we take the Navigator, I could put Bree's car seat in it, and Patrick's is already installed. We can all squeeze into it for the ride back to the cottage. I need to go into Pittsburgh with you today. We could drop the kids at the daycare at Kinnetik and then pick them up for dinner. They could have a nap at the loft before we go to the airport."

"Great, then let's do it. I have to see a client at ten over near Saint Anthony's Church."

"Father Tom would love to see Bree, I bet," Justin said. "I could visit with him until you're done with the client and then we could drop the kids at Kinnetik and I could head for the gallery."

"Let's get this show on the road," John said. "Patrick, Papa's coming home tonight, and so is Uncle Brian."

"Yay!" Patrick yelled and skipped around the room. Bree followed him doing her best to imitate what he was doing even if she wasn't sure what all the fuss was about."

<><><><><><><><><><><>

John, Justin and the kids packed themselves up for the trip into Pittsburgh. Like most parents of young children, the back of the Navigator had extra clothes, blankets and snacks. The plan was to drop off John for the meeting with his client while Justin took the kids to see Father Tom. The good father had never met Briana and hadn't seen Patrick for some time. As John was driving toward the church, a thought came to him.

"Justin, why hasn't Briana been baptized? I know you're not Catholic but Brian is. I'm sure Father Tom would do it. He did officiate at your wedding," John queried his brother-in-law.

"The subject never came up," Justin countered.

"Never? But Brian agreed to be Patrick's godfather. You'd think he'd want the same for Bree."

"John, Brian did that for you and Patrick. He hasn't stepped foot in a church since. And frankly I wouldn't want to be the one to ask him about it."

"Then I'll ask him. I'd be honored to be Bree's godfather, that is if you and Brian don't choose someone else. Why don't you ask Father Tom about it? Maybe a private ceremony can be done at the cottage. Perhaps at the stream, with just the immediate family in attendance. I bet Father Tom would be agreeable. He seems to be a free thinker; he's obviously not homophobic."

"You don't know the half of it," Justin blurted out.

"I think there's a story behind that comment?" John arched an eyebrow as he kept his eyes on the road ahead.

"There is but it's for another time when there are no little ears around."

"Okay, but I expect a full explanation."

"You got it. So tell me how you go about moving a whole house," Justin conveniently changed the subject to something he knew would get John's mind off Father Tom. By the time they arrived at the church, Justin had gotten a rudimentary lesson in the finer art of transplanting a house.

"Father Tom?" Justin called out quietly as he, Bree and Patrick walked into the church.

"Justin? What brings you here? And who is this?" The handsome priest gazed warmly at the children.

"This is Patrick. You remember; he's John and Bobby's son," Justin reminded the priest.

Father Tom chuckled at the memory of the distraught Brian coming to him to ask advice about being the boy's godfather and the lengthy confession Brian made in preparation.

"And this is our daughter, Miss Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor!" Justin's pride was evident in his voice.

Father Tom shook Patrick's hand and then took Bree's tiny hand in his to give it a gentle shake.

"It's a pleasure to see you again, Patrick, and to meet you, Miss Briana. Justin, they're both so beautiful. Come, we have a small grotto out back. It's a bright sunny day, so let's bring them outside while we talk."

Justin nodded then followed Father Tom through a set of doors that led to a pretty grotto surrounded by trees. There was a statue of St. Anthony looking like he was contemplating life, in one corner and a statue of St. Francis near a fountain. There were several sparrows bathing in the fountain. Justin committed the serene scene to memory for a future sketch.

"How are you, Justin, and how is Brian doing? I hear the Rage movie is doing well and I also hear that Brian is involved with the new clinic."

"You hear right, Father Tom."

"Justin, we know each other too well, you can call me Tom." Justin filled Tom in on how Briana came about, Kinnetik's expansion, the Rage movie and all about the clinic, theater and bowling alley.

"Brian's been busy. You both have been. What brings you to Pittsburgh today?"

"A few things. John's seeing a new client today and we recently discovered more JABKinney paintings. They should arrive at the Bloom gallery later today. I want to be there. Bobby and Brian are flying home from Panama tonight so John and I are going to pick them up."

"I'm glad you were able to squeeze in a visit," Tom laughed. Justin's dance card was very full today.

"You haven't seen Patrick since he was a baby and I thought you'd enjoy meeting Bree."

"You've been blessed."

"Yes, we have. Tom, Father Tom, John brought up the subject of baptism. Briana hasn't been baptized and I'm not so sure Brian would even go for it but if..."

"Justin, if you're trying to ask me if I'd baptize Briana, I'd be honored to."

"But I'm not Catholic and I don't think Brian would want to do it in a church. He still has bad feelings about the church." Justin stared off, watching the kids chase each other around the stone fountain.

"Justin, the Catholic Church may not sanction same sex marriages but I know that God recognizes the love you and Brian have for each other or I wouldn't have been at your ceremony. If you want Briana to be one of God's children then I'll perform the ceremony. And no, it doesn't have to be in a church. We can do it out here or at your cottage. As I recall, your grounds are extensive; we could have it back there. Talk it over with Brian. If he agrees we can work out the details later."

"Thank you, Tom. When things settle down, I'll speak to Brian about it." Then like any proud daddy, Justin pulled out his wallet to show Father Tom Briana's baby pictures.

Unbeknownst to Justin or Tom, a stern looking gray haired woman, was standing in the church doorway staring at the children and at Justin.

Joan knew the blond man who was sitting with Father Tom. She had met him a few times. She would never forget the first time she had seen Justin Taylor. It had been at Brian's loft, the day she found out that her son was a homosexual. Joan shuddered at the memory.

She stared at the children. Neither of them was the little boy that they called Gus, the one who was Brian's son. She hadn't seen Gus for years. He must be a teenager by now. Time had somehow got away on her. These children were much younger. The little boy looked a lot like Gus when he was that age. Had Brian had another son? Another grandson that she knew nothing about! That would be like Brian to keep this child from her too. But where did that mop of red hair come from?

The little girl was an absolute angel, so sunny and happy. She was younger than the boy and was having trouble keeping up with him as they ran around the fountain. But that didn't stop her from trying. She was tenacious. That tenacity made Joan smile. What a lovely little girl! So much like … Justin Taylor. She must be his biological daughter, and therefore somewhat related to Joan; that is, if Brian and this man were still together. Joan's grandmotherly arms ached to hold the little girl.

Just then Justin looked at his watch. He stood up and called the children over to him. The children came obediently, and Joan marveled at how well behaved they were especially compared to Claire's brats who had been out of control for most of their childhood. Justin bent down and talked to the children seriously. They nodded before turning and saying goodbye to Father Tom. He shook their hands and smiled fondly at them. Each child took one of Justin's hands and they started back into the church.

Joan ducked into an alcove where she could watch them unseen. They made their way through the church with Justin saying something about being picked up outside. He also mentioned something about a baptism. Joan wondered if it could be a baptism for the children. That made her smile. Maybe Brian hadn't totally turned against his religion. There might be hope for him still.

When the group exited the church, Joan made her way to the front door to watch what else might happen. They were talking on the steps when a big SUV pulled up. A man got out and the little boy ran over to him and was immediately scooped up and kissed. At first Joan thought it was Brian, but she quickly realized it was that Anderson man that she had seen at the showing of the Kinney paintings. He was Jack's bastard son.

Joan continued to watch as the Anderson man and Justin put the two children in their car seats. They spoke briefly to Father Tom and then drove off. Joan walked down the main aisle of the church and knelt in one of the pews. She prayed once again for her son's soul, and for the souls of the beautiful children that she had seen.

"Mrs. Kinney?" Father Tom said as he came down the aisle after John and Justin had left.

"Father Tom," Joan replied. "I saw you with that young man and the children."

"Did you?"

"What were they doing here?" Joan demanded.

"With all due respect, that's not any concern of yours," Father Tom responded hoping to keep Joan's nose out of the Kinney-Taylor marriage.

"It is my concern when that young man is living with my son. Whose children are they?"

"Joan, please, you know I can't answer these questions."

"Surely you don't condone their filthy lifestyle. I can't believe you won't try to rescue those children."

"Those children are happy and loved and have everything a child could wish for."

"Except for a normal family life," Joan said haughtily. Obviously she was getting nowhere with the good father. She would have to find other means. "Good day, Father."

Father Tom shook his head as he watched Joan make her way out of the church. As much as he had tried, he would never understand the woman.

<><><><><><><><><><><>

"How did your meeting with your client go?" Justin quickly asked as John headed for Kinnetik. He prayed that John would be too preoccupied in the thrill of a new client and not bring up the subject of baptisms.

"It went well. How was your chat with Father Tom?" Two could play that game, thought the older and wiser John. John smirked when he heard Justin's sigh.

"Father Tom is for it and he would do it at the cottage if we asked. But I'm still not sure about Brian. John, you know that Brian would probably cut off his one remaining real nut before having anything to do with organized religion. I'm not brave enough to bring up the subject."

"Since when does Justin Taylor back down from a challenge? This is no different than fighting the family when they thought you and Brian were tricking or when Brett wanted to kill off Zephyr. Brian has always called you a tenacious twat and my brother is never wrong. So what if he yells, big fucking deal. He's yelled before; it wouldn't be a normal week if Brian Kinney didn't bellow and strut his stuff. What are you afraid of?"

"I'm not sure. I don't want to tempt fate."

"Now you're being ridiculous. Ask him or I will, if he says no, then he says no. When Bree's older and she decides for herself then so be it. I just know that baptizing Briana would mean a lot to many of us." John pulled into a parking spot near Kinnetik. "Justin, I'm going to bring the kids inside to daycare then check on the clinic, theater and the bowling alley. I want to make sure everything is in tiptop shape. Do you want to take the car to the gallery?" John asked as he helped the children out of their car seats.

"No, thanks. The gallery's not that far and I need the exercise. The walk will do me good." And I have a lot to think about, Justin thought to himself.

"Okay, I'll meet you there later. Say hi to Lindsay and Sidney for me," John called out as Justin gave Bree and Patrick a kiss before John took them into Kinnetik.

<><><><><><><><><><><>

"Claire."

"Mother?"

"Who else would it be?" Joan decided to visit her daughter rather than call. Her daughter would have a harder time pushing Joan out the door than hanging up on her.

"Why are you here, Mother? It can't be to berate me because of the boys; they're all grown up and doing well. I'm married to a good man who loves me and my boys and takes good care of all of us. So, what is it?"

"Brian," Joan said coldly.

"Brian? What about him? His monthly check to you late or something? Mother, leave Brian alone. He's happy; he doesn't need your interference."

"You watch your tongue, young lady. I am still your mother, honor your mother and father."

"Mother, I stopped honoring you the day you tried to take my children away from me. What are you up to?"

"I have a right to know if I have more grandchildren."

"Grand..." Claire's mind was racing. Of course Claire knew about Briana, and she and her boys were at Briana's first birthday extravaganza but Joan was never told. When Joan didn't bother to RSVP to Brian and Justin's wedding invitation, Brian cut the old bat completely out of his life. It was the final straw. Claire knew that Brian was hoping for at least a confrontation with his mother. Something that proved to him that Joan cared even at some basic level. But all Joan said was, it was a sin. Nothing more, then she tore up the invitation and threw it in the trash. Claire never told Brian but Justin knew. Nothing was ever said about Joan again. And Joan never questioned how her bills were paid on time or how the mortgage got paid off.

"Mother, stay out of it. It's none of your business."

"Of course, it's my business and I'll make it my business." Joan scowled at her daughter. How dare she talk to her that way!

"I think you better leave, Mother." Claire opened the front door.

"Fine, I'll leave but I will meet my one and only granddaughter!" Joan exclaimed as she slammed the door behind her.

"Fuck!" Claire said out loud to no one in particular as she picked up her phone to call the cottage. Hearing the machine pick up, Claire left her message. "Brian, it's me, please call me as soon as you get this. She knows, Brian, Joan knows about Bree. Please Brian, call me."

Claire prayed that her brother would call her as soon as possible before Joan had the chance to cause trouble.