- Text Size +

 

Should Old Acquaintance

Chapter 6

<><><><><><><><><><><>

"Claire?"

"Hello, Brian. I haven't heard from you in a while," Brian's sister observed.

"Well, by the sound of that message you left me, it's been too long. How the hell did she find out?"

"She wouldn't say, but I think she must have seen something at church because she mentioned Father Tom and then clammed up when I asked her about it.

"Fuck! Justin had Bree and Patrick there the other day. He was talking to Father Tom."

"Then that must have been when she saw them and put two and two together. She's not stupid."

"When she's not fucking drunk."

"Brian, I know you don't want anything to do with her, but she's getting … old."

"So, am I supposed to feel sorry for her after everything that she's put us through?"

"I don't know," Claire sighed. "I just wish we could all get along. You forgave me for a lot of things I did."

"You didn't try to take all the money from JAB Kinney, even after you knew it was meant for a good cause. She tried to take your fucking kids away from you, Claire. I don't see how you can stand to be around her."

"She's a lonely old woman."

"She's an unforgiving SOB. I refuse to have her tell me one more time that I'm going to Hell for being gay."

"I know she's been mean to you, but I wish…"

"What did you tell her about Bree?" Brian asked cutting her off before she made another plea for him to forgive their mother.

"As little as I could."

"What exactly did you tell her?"

"I told her that Bree was Justin's daughter, that you two are still together, and that you consider Briana to be your daughter too."

"I don't consider her to be my daughter; she is my daughter!"

"Of course, Brian, that's not what I meant."

"So what does the old battleaxe intend to do about this piece of information?"

"Truthfully, I don't know. She clammed up when I tried to press her about how she found out. She wouldn't tell me much of anything."

"There isn't anything she can do, is there?" Brian asked. He waited with bated breath for his sister to answer.

"Honestly, I don't know. She seemed to think Bree was a beautiful little girl."

"She is a beautiful little girl, and she doesn't need any shit from Joan."

"Any time that I can, I'll encourage her to stay out of it."

"Thanks," Brian said not really reassured but unable to think of anything else they could do about it. "I … I have something else I'd like to ask you."

"You do?" Claire said wondering at Brian's hesitation. It was rare that he wanted anything from her.

"We're thinking about having Bree baptized. That's why Justin was talking to Father Tom."

"Oh Brian, that's wonderful. Everyone should be baptized."

"Even Jews and Muslims?" Brian snarked.

"You know what I mean," Claire chuckled.

"Sorry, I just couldn't resist."

"So what do you want to ask me?"

"Would you consider being Bree's godmother?

"Oh, my God! Brian, are you serious? I'd love to, but what about Molly or … or someone else from Justin's side of the family?"

Brian sucked in a breath. He hadn't really asked Justin, and Bree was his daughter too. Maybe he would want Daphne to be the godmother. "I wanted you."

"I think that's just about the nicest thing you've ever said to me. Why don't you check with Justin to be sure this is all right with him. If he agrees, I'd be honored to accept."

"Thanks, Claire, I'll let you know."

Brian hung up the phone wondering that his sister had been so understanding about the whole situation. He really did need to talk to Justin about this.

Later that night as Brian and Justin lay in their bed having again expressed through their bodies all the things that they meant to each other, Brian rolled on his side and looked into Justin's eyes. "We need to talk," he said seriously.

"We do?" Justin asked feeling a chill run through him. Talking still wasn't Brian's favorite thing to do, and when he uttered that statement, it usually did not bode well. "Tell me what it is, before I get scared."

"It's nothing scary," Brian chuckled leaning in to give Justin a reassuring kiss. "I love you."

"Thank God for that," Justin laughed suddenly feeling much better.

"It's about the baptism."

"You don't want to do it, do you?"

"Why do you say that?"

"I know how you feel about religion."

"I hate organized religion."

"I know."

"But that doesn't mean that Bree will have the same feelings when she grows up. I want her to have every advantage in life, and I know that baptism is important to John and his mother, and to Debbie…"

"And your mother," Justin added.

"Can we leave her out of this?"

"She's involved, no matter how much we deny it. She's the reason you hate religion so much."

Brian made a face. He didn't want to get into all that. "I asked Claire about being Bree's godmother when I was talking to her today."

"What did she say?"

"She said she'd be thrilled, but she wondered why it wasn't Daphne or Molly. I never even thought to ask you. You seemed to agree with Claire as the godmother."

"I do agree."

"But what about Daphne or your sister?"

"Molly's still young and Daphne and I each have separate lives now. I'm fine with Claire being the godmother."

"Do you realize it will be all my family as godparents?"

"So…?"

"But she's your daughter."

"She's more your daughter than she is mine. I know how much you love her, and I know John loves her too. As for Claire, I was so proud of you when John suggested it, and you went along. Look at how far you've come."

"A cut above my usual asshole status?"

"In case you haven't noticed, you haven't been an asshole for a long time."

"Not in your eyes anyway."

"Never in my eyes."

A long and sweet kiss came next. They could both feel themselves getting hard. "Before we do anything about this," Brian said grabbing Justin's burgeoning cock. "What are we going to do about Joan?"

"Do we have to do anything?"

"I don't want the old biddy causing trouble."

"You know, having this discussion with your hand around my dick is counter productive," Justin laughed.

"I guess it is," Brian agreed rolling over on top of Justin.

"Why don't you just invite her?" Justin asked right before Brian stuck his dick up Justin's ass. They never got around to the answer to that question.

<><><><><><><><><><><>

Over the next few weeks, life began to return to normal or what constituted as normal for the Kinney/Taylor tribe. Brian returned to work, first making the rounds at Kinnetik Part Deux, then checking in with Reilly and Perspective via video conferencing and then finally at Kinnetik. Brian had a big soft spot for his first and primary office. It was where it all began. Since John and Justin, both had business in Pittsburgh, they all traveled together on many occasions. Bobby went back to work in Harrisburg, leaving Patrick in the capable hands of his Grandma Claire.

Justin's primary task other than preparing for Rage: The Art Show, was weeding through all the documents and photos that Edna had amassed. While Edna was certainly thorough in her research, it was all a little haphazard and unorganized. And then there was the discovery of more Kinney journal pages.

As a team of art restorers were working on the Kinney paintings, the first thing they did was to remove the paintings from their frames. Five out of the six paintings had their original frames. The sixth painting was unfinished, just a light pencil rendering of what could have been a man holding a child. There were a few preliminary brush strokes.

Immediately the journal pages were placed in protective plastic sleeves and then scanned into a computer so that they could be read and analyzed at a later date. Sidney gave the newly discovered pages to Justin who reverently placed the original journal pages into his bank vault with the rest of Kinney's journal. The copies, Justin added to his copy of the journal, along with Edna's notes and findings. Taking a break from his labors, Justin decided to recharge at the diner.

"Sunshine!" Debbie, who still worked an occasional lunch shift, called out to one of her favorite boys. Then crossed to the entrance to give Justin a hug.

"Air, Debbie, breathing would be good," Justin whispered as he felt the air in his lungs squeezed out in Debbie's formidable grasp.

"Sorry, sweetheart." Debbie loosened her hug and gave Justin a sloppy kiss to the cheek.

"What brings you here today?"

"Just taking a break, Deb. I've been working on the Rage art show and the papers that Edna collected. And when Sidney took the paintings out of their frames, he found more journal pages. I have a lot of reading to do. It's been exciting but tiring, you know what I mean?"

"I know honey, but do you have to do it all by yourself?"

"I guess not but I can't ask Brian to help. He's so busy with the Rage PR, the next phase of the campaign is going to hit soon. Bobby is way too busy and John has picked up a lot of new clients here in the Pitts. I thought about asking Lindsay but she's so busy at the gallery."

"Tell me about it. Sidney's been running her ragged. He's a regular pitbull." Just then Lacy came in to collect her paycheck. She had a day off and wanted to do a little shopping. "Hi sweetie, be right with you!" Debbie addressed Lacy. "Justin, maybe Lacy could help. She's interested in art and it's not like she has a lot to do other than pulling a shift."

"Maybe," Justin nodded. Hunter did mention to Justin that Lacy would be more than willing to help. But Lacy was a kid and what did a kid know about art? "Duh!" Justin said out loud and smacked himself in the middle of his forehead. He was just a kid when he knew that art was his only way of life. "Lacy, do you have a minute?"

"Sure, Justin. What can I do for you?" Lacy asked as she slipped into his booth.

"Well, first you can join me for lunch and then you can say yes to helping me decipher a mystery."

"A mystery? I like mysteries." Lacy became very animated and pleased that Justin wanted to spend time with her.

"The first mystery is easy. What do you want for lunch?" They laughed out loud and then gave their lunch orders to Debbie.

"So what's the real mystery?" Lacy leaned in slightly to listen to Justin's every word.

Justin began his tale about his Sunshine File, how his discovery of the artist, JAB Kinney, led to the discovery of Brian's other family. For the next two hours Justin went through the journal he had put together chronicling the trip they took to South and Central America and of the people they met along the way. Including the newly and dearly departed, Edna Galloway. Lacy couldn't help but get caught up in Justin's enthusiasm about the journal and in the cataloguing of JAB Kinney's paintings. It amazed her that even over one hundred years ago, a Kinney sacrificed everything for his Taylor.

"Justin, can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"You and Mr. Kinney, you've been together for a long time, haven't you?"

"Lacy, my relationship with Brian is nobody's business." Justin flung himself into defensive mode.

"I'm sorry if my question offended you, it's just that you're so lucky. I wish … I wish I could find someone who cared about me that much." Lacy looked so sad, Justin felt badly that he had reacted so negatively.

"Lacy, Brian and I didn't always have an easy time. From the moment I met him we've had to work real hard to get where we are. There were times when I didn't think we would make it. I … we both made some stupid mistakes. But we've learned from them and keep on learning. It's the only way to live." There was an awkward pause for a moment then Justin ventured a question. "Lacy, why do you pretend to be a boy?" A single tear slipped down Lacy's face.

"I thought if I was a boy it wouldn't hurt so much. Boys aren't supposed to care if they're alone and they can do more than girls can do."

"That's so not true. Boys hurt just the same. And girls can do anything they set their minds too. Melanie's a lawyer, my friend Daphne is a doctor. And look at Debbie."

"Debbie? But she's just a waitress."

"She's more than just a waitress. She was a single mother who raised a son all by herself. She helped to take care of her brother, Vic, when he was dying from AIDS. She helped a lot of people, even Brian. She saved me and Hunter. She helped catch a murderer and helped to prevent a corrupt politician from getting elected mayor. She gave me a home when I needed it. And she's doing the same for you." It became quiet again as Lacy took in all that Justin said.

"Lacy, why were you hustling? Why did you let men use you like that?"

"I needed the money and I'm a..."

"You mean you're a vir... But you were... Oh." Justin said softly when it dawned on him what Lacy was trying to say. "That doesn't matter anymore. You're young and strong and have a good chance at a long and productive life. I predict good things for you, Miss Lacy." Justin tried to lighten the mood as he pretended to read the coffee grinds at the bottom of their cups. Lacy giggled and blushed. JT cared about her and right now that was all that mattered.

"Justin, I really would like to help with your research. I could visit you at the gallery or we could meet here."

"No, I have too many papers and photos to go through. There's not enough space. I have to spend the mornings at the gallery for the next few weeks but if you rearrange your shift, we can meet over at the loft and work there undisturbed for hours."

"The loft?"

"Just ask anyone about Brian's loft. Even though it hasn't seen a trick in years, the loft is still legendary," Justin said with a wink and a twinkle in his eye.

"Okay, I can meet you here tomorrow at one, then you can show me the loft."

"Great! I'll see you tomorrow and remember, Lacy, you can do just about anything you want to." Justin paid their check, kissed Debbie goodbye and narrowly missed being squished again.

Lacy sat back in her seat and thought, maybe being a girl wasn't so bad after all.