- Text Size +

 

Should Old Acquaintance

Chapter 9

<><><><><><><><><><><>

"What the fuck was that?" Brian asked sitting up in bed.

"What was what?" Justin asked rubbing his eyes.

"That!" Brian stated as a loud rumbling came through their bedroom window.

"Must be the bulldozer," Justin said.

"Bulldozer? Nobody told me about a fucking bulldozer, and it's barely the crack of dawn.

"Calm down, Brian," Justin said. "I meant to tell you last night before we went to bed, but you … distracted me."

"I distracted you?"

"You know…"

"Oh, yeah, but what the fuck is a bulldozer doing here at this ungodly hour?" Brian demanded.

"They're leveling the area in preparation for moving the house, then they're digging the foundation and then…"

"Fuck!" Brian interrupted. "One of the reasons we have this place is because of the peace and quiet. How fucking long are we going to have to listen to that?" Brian demanded as the bulldozer let out another roar of power.

"The bulldozer won't be here too long, but once the house gets moved there will be all the construction and renovation."

"Tell me again why I agreed to this?" Brian asked as he rubbed at his aching head.

"So John and Bobby and Patrick can be nearby. It'll be fine. We'll be gone most of the day while they're working."

"I guess…" Brian said reluctantly. He had got used to his privacy and peace at the cottage, and he didn't take it well that it was all being interrupted.

"Dada," Bree called from the hall.

"What are you doing out of bed?" Brian called as Bree pushed back the partially open door.

"Noise," she said climbing up onto her fathers' bed.

"I know, sweetie," Justin said. "It's loud."

Bree covered her ears and let her Dada hug her against his chest. He kissed her little cheek.

"It won't be for very long, Squirt," Brian whispered against her hair. "Will it, Justin?"

"Um … hopefully not."

"Hopefully?" Brian glared.

"Let's get ready for work. We can leave all this noise behind when we go into peaceful downtown Pittsburgh."

Brian threw a pillow at Justin as he escaped through the bathroom door.

When they all met in the kitchen some time later, Brian was still not a happy camper. He cornered John. "Do your guys have to come at the crack of dawn?"

"If they don't then it will take that much longer to complete this project," John said reasonably.

Brian let out a long sigh. "Well, they better not touch any of my flower beds."

"They've been warned about that," John said.

"How long are we going to have to listen to that?"

"Today and tomorrow," John replied.

"That's all?"

"For the bulldozer," John amended. "Then there will be the carpenters building the frames for the foundation and then the cement trucks…"

"Fuck!" Brian reacted. "Maybe I should just stay at the loft."

"Are … are you sorry that you agreed to this?" John asked looking crestfallen. "If you are, tell me now, and I'll put a stop to this right now."

"No, no, I didn't mean that. I just hate the noise."

Justin set the waffles and bacon down in front of the men. It was his turn to make breakfast. "I guess we could stay at the loft, but it's not really good for Bree. All her stuff is here."

"I know," Brian conceded. "I'm just being a bitch. Don't even listen to me."

"You're not being a bitch," Justin said kissing his cheek. "You've just got used to your peace and serenity out here in the country."

"Serene," Brian said thoughtfully. "Did you ever think Brian Kinney could be serene?"

"You are serene. Sometimes I think you forget how much you've changed over the years," Justin grinned at him.

"I haven't changed at all," Brian stated.

"Of course not," Justin chuckled. "You only go to Babylon about once a year to check on the books and you garden your little heart out at every opportunity and you'd rather play with Bree than with a hard co…"

"Don't finish that statement," Brian interrupted looking at Bree and Patrick who were taking in every word.

"Sorry," Justin replied, "but you do forget how much you've actually grown up."

Brian snorted. "I was always the grown-up."

"Waffle," Bree said as she stuffed the last piece of her syrupy waffle into her mouth.

"More?" Brian asked.

Bree nodded her head. "Good."

"Yes, they are. Your daddy knows everything, and he's a good cook too."

Justin chuckled. "And don't you forget it."

"Yes, dear," Brian said in his inimitable falsetto.

<><><><><><><><><><><>

Standing outside of Kinnetik Father Tom was rather bewildered looking at the structure. Of course he knew that Brian owned his own business; he always kept up with the gay grapevine. Father Tom was also well aware that the building was a former bathhouse. But he had never seen the building up close and personal. The outside of the building still had the look of it original purpose, including the "men only" sign. Father Tom was working up the courage to go inside when an attractive woman came up to the door.

"Excuse me, Father, may I help you?" Cynthia was returning from a lunch meeting when she spotted the priest.

"Um, this is Kinnetik, isn't it?" Father Tom asked rather shyly.

"Yes, Father, it is," Cynthia chuckled. "The building often gets this reaction. It's why Brian never had the facade changed."

"It fits him. Oh, I'm sorry, I'm Father Tom. I officiated at Brian and Justin's commitment ceremony.

"Cynthia Morgan, and I remember. I was there. I'm Brian's personal assistant and partner. Do you have an appointment?" Cynthia didn't remember seeing the good father's name on Brian's schedule.

"No, not really. I guess I should have called. Brian does have to travel a lot."

"Don't worry. He's here but he may still be in a meeting. Why don't we go in and I'll give you the fifty-cent tour then you can wait in his office." Father Tom agreed and followed Cynthia into Kinnetik headquarters.

"This is very impressive," Father Tom expressed his compliment as they completed the tour. Cynthia led the priest into Brian's office.

"Father, I don't mean to pry but is this visit business or pleasure." Cynthia had run interference for Brian for nearly twenty years. Old habits died hard and she would do just about anything for her friend and boss.

"A little of both, I think. Let me ask you something first. Have you known Brian for a long time?"

"Longer than most. I was his assistant when he worked for Ryder and stayed when Vangard bought them out."

"So, you must know him well."

"Very well. Father, is something wrong?"

"No, no. I'm sorry to be so cryptic. I'm assuming you know of the rift between Brian and his mother."

"Rift, is putting it mildly. Yes, I am well aware of it."

"And has he told you that he and Justin are considering having Briana baptized?"

"I've heard rumors to that effect."

"Mrs. Kinney is a regular at my church. She visits nearly every day. I try to encourage her to reconcile with her children but the divide grows wider. She was once close with her daughter but..."

"I remember that too. Everyone here was pulling for them. Brian was hurt at what his mother attempted. But what does that have to do with Briana's baptism?"

"I'm hoping the ceremony could help to unite the Kinney family."

"Father, you ask a lot. And I'm not the one you should be talking to."

"On the contrary, you are the perfect one to speak to. I need to know how to approach Brian. You know him as well as anyone and you know what he's capable of. Do you think he'll consider inviting his mother?"

"I honestly don't know. And you're right, I do know what Brian Kinney's capable of."

"Tell me about him, aside from the obvious."

"But you know him, have spoken to him. I've heard him grumble about you. And I believe you've heard his confession."

"You know about that too?"

"Father, you'd be surprised at what I know. And it's all to protect him. I make sure he's given the clearance he needs to do his job. What he does, how he does it affects a great many people and I'm not just talking about the ads he comes up with. His success is our success. So I have to be able to read him even when he's in our Harrisburg branch."

"I understand. The business Brian is just that, all business. And how is he with his family?"

"Father, I'm not at liberty to speak about his personal life. He loathes anyone prying into what he feels he must protect. And he will do all within his power to protect the ones he loves."

"I've seen him in action. I have no intention of getting on his bad side."

"Father Tom, just be honest with him. Above all Brian values honesty and straight- forwardness, if you excuse the pun."

"His mother is a lonely old woman and I'm afraid she'll never know the joy of holding her granddaughter in her arms. I wish there was something I could do to make her see that what she believes is God's will is so wrong. I fear she'll die alone."

"She's not sick, is she?"

"No, from what I see she's as healthy as a horse. But her spirit is dying. There is no love in her life. I've spoken to Claire, her daughter, and she tries to include Joan in family gatherings but Joan..."

"I know. Brian did invite her to Christmas dinner once, right after Joan tried to sue them and take away Claire's children. He even paid Joan's attorney fees when he found out she didn't have the money. He continues to pay her bills and her mortgage."

"He's a good son. He loves his mother."

"Father, I've seen Brian at his worst and at his best. You'd never know that under all that Armani armor there is a little boy who only wants his mother's love."

"Then help me to convince him to invite his mother to the baptism."

"All right, I'll do it but if I get fired, it'll be your fault!" Just then Brian sauntered into his office.

"What will be your fault?" Brian asked as he looked back and forth at his assistant and his confessor.

"Um, er..." Father Tom sputtered.

"I think I'll go see what Ted's up to. Nice chatting with you, Father. See you later, boss." With a flurry of her heels clicking on the floor, Cynthia left Brian's office. Brian watched her breeze out of the room then fixed his gaze on the hapless priest.

"Now, Brian, you know I have your best interests at heart and your mother isn't getting any younger and..." Brian held up his hand.

"Enough!" Brian bellowed as he sat at his desk and scrubbed at his eyes. "You're here to convince me to baptize Briana and invite Joan." A statement rather than a question.

"Yes."

"Okay."

"Okay?! Just okay? No yelling, no screaming, no one thousand reasons why this isn't a good idea?" Father Tom stood in front of Brian's desk doing a good impression of a carp out of water.

"My partner and my brother have both been at me and now Gus wants to know more about Joan. I don't think I have a choice in this matter."

"Yes, you do and from what I understand, Justin is Briana's biological father and he's not Catholic. You don't have to agree to anything."

"But it will make my family happy. Both John and my sister want to be Briana's godparents. Justin's all for it and Debbie will be over the moon, so will John's mother."

"And what about you? I know how you feel about the church and about Joan. What do you want, Brian?"

"What do I want? World peace, the cure for AIDS and Cancer..."

"Brian..."

"I want...I want her to like me." Brian answered the priest's question in a tone barely above a whisper. Placing his hand on Brian's shoulder, Father Tom offered him comfort.

"Then let me help." Brian could only nod.

<><><><><><><><><><><>

Over the next few days the bulldozers finally left. The new foundation was about to be poured, the new electrical and TV cables were laid as well as the pipes for water, sewer and gas. The joining of the two homes was getting closer. The school season was over which afforded Gus the opportunity to spend time with his dad before he went to camp. Rage: The Movie was still hot. And Rage: The Art Show was garnering more than just a passing interest. The second phase of Kinnetik's Rage PR hit the public with great success.

Brian and Justin were able to take a little time off to spend at home with Bree and Gus as well as to supervise the construction. After a long hike into the woods and a hearty dinner, Brian decided to prepare a very sleepy Briana for bed. Justin was lounging on the settee in the sun porch, studying more of the Kinney journal, while Gus was quietly reading a book.

Brian brought his daughter into the bathroom, turned on the shower to warm the water, stripped them both and then stepped into the shower. He held the child close as the warm water sluiced over them. Briana held onto her dada's neck as Brian passed a soapy cloth over her skin. Bree giggled softly as the bubbles tickled her toes and her dada kissed her tummy. Brian knew that his daughter was growing up fast and these innocent pleasures would not last long. Soon his baby wouldn't need her dada to bathe her. When their shower was finished, Brian wrapped Bree in a big fluffy towel. Grabbing a robe for himself, Brian went to put his daughter to bed.

Justin knew that Gus could hear Briana's giggles emanating from her bedroom and he ached for the little boy who never got to spend that kind of time with his father. He also ached for Brian, knowing how guilty Brian felt. Gus caught Justin looking at him.

"It's okay, you know," Gus said quietly.

"What's okay, buddy?"

"That Dad dotes on Bree. I know he loves me."

"He feels bad that he wasn't there more often for you when you were younger."

"He doesn't have to. I know what he did for me. As soon as I was old enough to understand, Mom told me all about it. No apologies, no regrets. Isn't that what Dad always said?"

"Yeah, but sometimes..."

"Jus, Dad and me, we're okay. I like that I'm old enough to hang with him and we can do guy stuff."

"You mean plant flowers?" Justin laughed.

"Yeah, who knew Pop has a way with impatiens?" Gus cracked up with Justin.

Brian walked in the porch to find his son and his lover laughing like a pair of hyenas with tears rolling down their cheeks.

"What?" Brian asked looking very perplexed and wondering what the joke was. Gus and Justin caught the expression on Brian's face and then cracked up all over again.