- Text Size +

Part Five

Jennifer Taylor found the loft door ajar when she stepped off the elevator, so she just let herself in. "Justin?"

Justin walked out from the bedroom still holding a shirt she recognized from their shopping trip two weeks ago. He stepped down the steps and gave his mother a hug. "Hey Mom."

"Hey yourself," Jennifer smiled at her son. "You look tired."

"I am," Justin sighed as he noticed he was still carrying his shirt in his hands. "It's midnight in London right now. Come on, you can keep me company while I finish unpacking. Brian threatened my life if my things weren't put away before he got back. And I can tell already that I'm going to crash soon."

Jennifer nodded and followed Justin back into the bedroom area. The frosted glass doors that surrounded the raised portion of the loft were mostly closed, so she hadn't noticed the mess Justin had made before, but she noticed now.

"Oh honey, who taught you to fold your clothes like that?" Jennifer moaned. "They'll be all wrinkled when you try to put them on. Here let me help. I'll fold and you put away."

Justin gave a tired smile. "Thanks Mom."

Jennifer worked silently for a few minutes, making headway on the large pile of clothes Justin had stacked on the bed. "I take it that whatever you have to tell me has something to do with the reason we're unpacking your things here instead of at your apartment?" Jennifer finally asked.

Justin hesitated before picking up a stack of neatly folded t-shirts. "Yeah, it's part of it."

"So you finally decided to move in?" Jenifer asked, not allowing her concern to show, but Justin knew her well enough to read it anyway.

"I am," Justin said. "And it's more than just that."

Jennifer paused in her folding and Justin sat on the bed so he could tell her everything. "We didn't go directly to London, Mom. Brian told me he had business in Vermont he needed to take care of before we could leave, but that wasn't true. He...We...Fuck, I don't know how to say this."

Jennifer cupped Justin's cheek the way she had done so many times when he was younger and upset. "Just say it, honey."

"He asked me to marry him," Justin blurted out. "Only, it's not marriage really. That's still not legal, even in Vermont. It's what they call a civil union, and most states don't recognize it as legal, including Pennsylvania, but Brian also worked things out with his lawyer, and there are partnership agreements and medical proxies..."

Jennifer smiled softly, "So you want to marry him? Is that what this is about?"

"I already did," Justin admitted and showed his bracelet to his mother. "He's got a pendant that matches, but don't say that to him. He's got something against matching jewelry. He calls them our trinkets, but they cost a pretty penny."

Jennifer was shocked. "You got married? Without me?"

Justin nodded warily.

Jennifer sat back and looked at her son. "And you signed these partnership documents?"

"They were notarized by the Justice of the Peace that conducted our ceremony."

"I don't know what to say," Jennifer said as she stood up from the bed and began to pace. "I always dreamed you'd get married someday. Even with the political road blocks some states are putting up, things are turning around. But I never thought you'd run off and... elope."

Justin smiled. "It was perfect Mom. Not perfect in everyone else's eyes, but just right for us. You know how Brian hates all that fuss. And he made it really romantic. He even made sure we had a cake."

"Married." Jennifer said. "My baby's married."

"Well as married as I can be under the current law," Justin agreed. "Are you okay with this?

"I'm not sure," Jennifer admitted. "On the one hand, I'm so happy for you. On the other, I'm pissed off at you for not allowing me to be a part of it. I'm your mother, Justin. I should have been there."

"I know," Justin sighed. "But you know Brian. He didn't even tell me about it until we were already in Vermont."

Jennifer nodded. "Sounds typical. Although I never thought the day would come when Brian Kinney decided to settle down. Only you could turn a man so completely upside-down, sweetheart."

Justin smiled at his mother. "We should finish this. And I'll tell you all about it while we work. When we're finished, I can show you the pictures."

"Brian let you take pictures?" Jennifer laughed. "Now I know the man is crazy about you."

"He is mom," Justin grinned. For the next half hour, Justin talked, and Jennifer listened to every detail of their time in Vermont. Then she listened as Justin told her about buying their trinkets and their trip to London.

"So this trip was like a honeymoon, then," Jennifer concluded as they hung the last of Justin's clothes in the closet.

"Ooh, you said the H word," Justin laughed. "Don't let Brian hear you say that. He still gets very defensive over that. And don't use the M word either. As far as Brian's concerned, it's a partnership. And technically, he's right."

Jennifer shook her head in bemusement. Her son was married, but not really. "And I guess this is the thing Brian doesn't want to share with the world?"

Justin paused. "Not just Brian. I'm not sure that I'm ready for the reactions of certain people, either. For now, we think it's best just to keep this quiet. It's not really anyone else's business, and we'll catch enough crap about moving in together again."

Jennifer nodded. Even if Justin had wanted to announce their union, he was right to support his husband if he wasn't ready yet. And she was sure that what Justin said did have a bearing on their decision. "Okay, for now, it's just between us. But Justin, I want to do something to celebrate."

Justin got a wicked gleam in his eyes. "You can help me decorate my new studio."

"What?" Jennifer asked. Instead of answering, Justin led her over to the back corner of the loft and she noticed the spiral stairs for the first time. "These weren't here before, were they?"

"No, Brian had a crew put them in while we were gone," Justin told her. "It was all part of the surprise."

By that time they had reached the bottom of the steps and Justin flicked on the lights. "Oh Justin."

Jennifer took a few minutes to look around before coming back to where Justin stood by the kitchen counter. "That window will be perfect to paint by. And the extra rooms will be great if Daphne comes to visit."

"That's what Brian said," Justin said. "And when Gus gets a bit older, he can have his own room, too."

"Brian made a very smart investment," Jennifer said admiringly. "I don't know what he paid for this apartment, but by connecting the two, he's done more than doubled his square footage. The combined space will be worth more than the two separate spaces in this market. And if you rework some of space..."

Justin laughed. "For now, we're going to leave it as is. Brian said we could look at renovating in a few years, once we have paid off a chunk of the principal loan. Besides, I like it like this, all open and airy, with light coming in from both ends. So, are you interested in helping me furnish the space? Brian told me it's mine to do with as I please. Though I wouldn't want to deviate too far from the style we have upstairs. Otherwise it would feel completely disconnected."

Jennifer nodded. "So what did you have in mind? And what sort of budget are we on?"

BJBJBJBJBJ

When Brian got home, Justin and Jennifer were just coming back upstairs. They didn't notice his arrival as they chatted excitedly about the possibilities for the studio space downstairs. They went directly from the stairs to the computer where Justin began showing his mother the photos of their ceremony. While Jennifer was effusive in her excitement, Brian watched the interaction. He had just risked his relationship with his oldest friend in the world. Was it really worth it?

Then Justin noticed him standing in the shadows and his face lit up. Yes, it was worth it. Justin was worth everything.

"Miss me while I was gone?" Brian smirked.

"Not at all," Justin teased. "I was just bragging to my mother about how wonderful our ceremony was."

"And showing her those damn pictures," Brian grimaced.

Justin walked over to Brian and gave him a kiss on the cheek. "You look wonderful in those damn pictures. And even if we never tell another soul about that day, I want to have some way to remember it."

"I'll never forget it," Brian said as he wrapped his arms around Justin.

"Enough of that and come apologize to your new mother-in-law for stealing her baby boy away," Jennifer demanded with a smile.

"Mother-in-law?" Brian asked, aghast, as Justin shoved him towards his mother.

"Yes," Jennifer said adamantly. "It may not be the M word, but it's close enough for me."

"Ah fuck," Brian muttered as he allowed himself to be tugged into a hug by Jennifer.

"And you will be paying for years for running off to elope with my baby boy," Jennifer whispered as she released Brian. "Now, let's see. Easter is coming up, isn't it? I think maybe Brian should come over to meet your grandmother."

"Ah fuck!"

BJBJBJBJBJ

Later that evening, as Brian and Justin were just about to fall asleep, Justin said, "Mom agreed to keep it to herself. And she's going to help me get the studio ready."

"But she's also making me come for Easter dinner with your grandmother."

Justin laughed. "It could be worse. She might not have agreed and told Debbie."

Brian sighed. "Dinner doesn't sound too bad. At least it's only your granny. You don't have any other aunts and uncles or cousins I don't know about, do you?"

"Not on Mom's side," Justin laughed. "But I'll warn you now, Granny can be a handful."

"At least we know you get it honestly," Brian sighed and pulled Justin closer into his arms. "Now go to sleep. I stopped by Debbie's to tell her about my conversation with Mikey, and she insisted on coming over here tomorrow. Knowing her, she'll be here at some ungodly hour."

"You didn't tell me how that went," Justin reminded him.

"It went shitty," Brian admitted. "But I'm alright. I have you. And I'll tell you all about it in the morning. Now go to sleep."

"Okay, goodnight," Justin yawned, barely keeping his eyes open. "I love you."

"Yeah, me too, Sunshine," Brian whispered.

BJBJBJBJBJ

Justin awoke to the sound of the loft's intercom system buzzing incessantly. Despite going to bed relatively early, he was still tired and could barely stand to stumble to the door. He leaned against the wall and depressed the speaker.

"Yeah?"

"Sunshine? Is that you? You sound like shit!"

"It's me Deb. Come on up," Justin yawned and stumbled back over to the bedroom. "Brian, wake up. Brian!"

Justin pulled on his sweat pants and shook Brian's leg. The older man just groaned and rolled over on his other side.

"Fuck," Justin moaned shuffled back to the door to open it for Debbie. She was waiting with a smile on her face when the heavy steel door slid back.

"Sunshine!" Debbie yelled and grabbed him in a tight hug. "I'm so glad you're home! How was the trip? You'll have to tell me all about it! That asshole wouldn't tell me anything last night!" Debbie maneuvered around Justin and walked into the kitchen. "Forgive me for saying so, but you look like shit, baby!"

"Still getting used to the time change," Justin yawned and sat at the counter to watch Debbie putter around their kitchen. Without waiting for permission, she began hunting down the coffee and had soon set a pot to brew. Justin was glad that Brian's cleaning lady had restocked the cupboards before they got back.

"I remember how that was when Vic and I got back from our trip," Debbie said sympathetically. "Speaking of Vic, he sent over a batch of cinnamon rolls for you and the asshole. Where is he, by the way?"

"I'm here," Brian yawned, still stretching and scratching his bare belly. Justin was just grateful Brian had thought to pull on his sweats. "Who could sleep through your dulcet tones?"

"Asshole," Debbie said fondly. "You both need to get up and get moving so that you can get back on track with the time difference."

"And you're here to torture us until we do?" Brian asked, but he accepted the mug of coffee Debbie handed him.

"I am," Debbie replied, undeterred. "Now Sunshine, have you called your mother yet? She was worried the entire time you were gone. Now I know she wouldn't say anything, but you need to call her if you haven't yet."

"Mom came by last night," Justin told her. He took a grateful sip of the strong coffee that Debbie handed him with just the right cream and sugar in it. "Thanks."

"So, tell me, how was it?"

"It was great," Justin smiled, finally beginning to come back to life. "I saw Windsor Castle, where the queen lives. And we saw the Crown Jewels."

"And we shopped," Brian put in helpfully.

"Of course you shopped," Debbie said and eyed Brian. "What's that you're wearing Brian? Is that new?" She had spied Brian's pendant, which was quite noticeable on his bare chest.

Brian looked down and smiled a fond smile. "Just a trinket."

Debbie looked at him again, and then at Justin. "And it matches that little trinket Sunshine is wearing."

Brian finally opened his eyes wide, like he had just woken up. "They don't match!"

Debbie looked skeptical. "They certainly look like they match to me. Did you get them in London?"

Justin tried to diffuse the situation and divert Debbie's attention. "Yeah, we did. And we went to see that new musical, the one about the witches in Oz?"

"Don't change the subject," Debbie scolded. "I want to know why you are wearing matching jewelry!"

Brian looked like he wanted to bolt for a minute, but Justin just sat calmly, waiting to see how Brian would answer. Brian looked at Justin, but the younger man just shrugged. This was Brian's decision. Finally, Brian seemed to deflate and he sighed. "We should probably get comfortable for this."

Brian walked over to the sitting area and sat on the sofa. Justin followed, carrying his coffee with him. Debbie nodded to herself and brought the plate cinnamon rolls and some napkins and set them on the coffee table. Justin grabbed a roll and napkin before sitting down beside Brian. Brian put his arm around Justin and buried his face in Justin's hair. He took a deep breath to calm himself.

"We're all comfortable, so spill it," Debbie said.

"Before we went to London, we went to Vermont and had a civil ceremony," Brian told her. "We also signed a few legal papers that guarantee that even if Pennsylvania law doesn't recognize our civil union, we will still have basic rights. A legal and private partnership."

"You got married?" Debbie exclaimed, her joy written all over her face. Seconds later, the news seemed to sink in and her face fell. "Without me?" She turned disapproving eyes on Justin. "Without your mother? Does she know?"

"I told her last night," Justin confirmed. "She said she was happy for me, but was disappointed that she couldn't be there."

Debbie nodded. "That's sounds about right. You little shits! I would pay just about anything to have been there, to see that!"

"You aren't the only one. That's why we did it the way we did," Brian told her. "Our choice to make a commitment to each other should not be a spectacle, or up for public debate. That's also why we aren't telling anyone about it. As far as the world is concerned, we have simply chosen to live together."

"Married!"

"And we aren't married," Brian insisted. "It was a civil union. Gays can't get married," he smirked.

"Certainly sounds like marriage to me," Debbie huffed. "And a honeymoon in London."

"See this is why I didn't want to tell her," Brian groaned.

"You asshole. Fine, I won't call it a wedding or a marriage..."

"Or a honeymoon," Justin put in.

"Or a honeymoon," Debbie conceded. "But I am glad you decided to tell me. I still can't believe it. So why not rings?"

"We aren't munchers," Justin said with a straight face and then he and Debbie shared a laugh at Brian's expense.

"Of course not, Sunshine," Debbie smiled. "Let me see that little trinket there." Justin obligingly held out his left wrist for Debbie to see. "It's beautiful. And just different enough from his trinket that you can get away with telling people you were being sentimental, despite Brian's objections."

"Shit, I could have lied about it?" Brian groaned.

"Not to me, asshole," Debbie said. "I can always see right through your bullshit."

Brian smiled. "Yeah, you always could."


"Wanna see the pictures?" Justin asked and Brian groaned before burying his head in the arm of the sofa.