- Text Size +

BRIAN 

 

 

Justin was fidgeting in the car on the way to Jen’s. I really think he forgets he's a grown up around his mother.  I called Ted and Cynthia for a meeting since we were in town. My plan was to deal with Jen’s hurt feelings, and any business with Kinnetik before we get on the road for home. Justin and I kept this visit quiet because I didn't want us to have to stay longer. After pulling up to Jen’s, Justin sat staring at her condo.  

 

 

“Justin are we going in or do you want to sit here until everyone knows we're here?” I ask him. 

 

 

“Let's go.” He sighs, getting out and walking to the door.

 

 

“Try to remember your not seventeen anymore.” I tell him following him in.

 

 

We found Jen in the kitchen making lunch for us. Justin cheered up when he saw food, somehow he equates her feeding him to her being okay with him. Jen puts out sandwiches and a grilled chicken salad out for us, which makes me smile because she thought of me too. 

 

 

“I've been patient and tried not to call, but really, I hear something like this from Deb.” She tells us, looking a little disappointed. 

 

 

“We should have told you when we found out, but Brian moved to be with me and I wasn’t thinking about anything but that.” He tells her taking a giant bite out of his chicken sub.

 

 

“Justin if you weren’t thinking of why you agreed to a baby, that worries me more.” She tells him. 

 

 

“Trust me, he was really thinking hard about this, I had to get him focused on what was going on around him a couple of times.” I tell her.

 

 

“Are you sure this is how you want to have a baby?” She asks us. 

 

 

“One of the things that we thought about was when we'd be ready, if ever. If we do it this way we know Mel and Lindsay will take care of it.” Justin tells her.

 

 

“You don’t want to be there for all the firsts?” She asks us. 

 

 

“I've been working on a way to make it possible for all of us to raise the baby together. It's just we didn’t want to have everyone involved in it. I’m rather pissed that Deb felt the need to run here and tell you something that Justin wanted to tell you.” I tell her. 

 

 

“She seems upset about it. Is it because they want Justin and not Michael?” She asks us. 

 

 

“We've been avoiding her calls, so I couldn't tell you why.” Justin tells her. 

 

 

“If she's giving you a hard time, I could talk to her.” She tells us. 

 

 

“We'd rather them not know we came. Mel and Lindsay promised not to tell Michael.” I tell her. 

 

 

“She mentioned she heard all this from him. He seems to be feeling left out of everything, she told me. Are you and Michael having problems?” She asks me. 

 

 

“It's more that he thinks we need to pass everything that goes on in our lives by him. It's just Mikey being Mikey.” I tell her, shrugging.

 

 

“Mom, let me officially tell you that you're going to be a grandma.” Justin tells her. 

 

 

“I'm happy, I just wished I heard it from you.” She tells him hugging him.

 

 

“I promise you'll hear everything first from now on.” He tells her. 

 

 

“Are you staying long?” She asks us. 

 

 

“I have a meeting with Ted and Cynthia, then if nothing is pressing we plan to drive back tonight.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Do you think the girls would mind if I visited them? I'd like to get to know them better.” She asks us. 

 

 

“Just call first.” Justin tells her. 

 

 

“Of course, I wouldn’t just show up.” She tells us, confused when we were laughing hysterically.

 

 

I left Justin with Jen, since Daphne was coming to see him. I told him to invite her to dinner before we left, I miss her too. I figured with a rental no one would realize I was here. So it didn't occur to me that Emmett would be at Kinnetik. Which means Baby better show up for Emmett. 

 

 

“Brian what are you doing here?” Emmett asks me. 

 

 

“I decided that calming Mother Taylor down was in our best interest. Yes, Justin’s here too, and yes you'll see him before I get us the fuck out of dodge. Unless, like all my other secrets, this gets out too.” I growl.

 

 

“I didn’t say anything about anything, so growl at Michael not me.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I'm growling at you because if I growl at the people I want to, we'll be stuck here sorting out everyone's issues.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Okay, then growl to your heart’s content. I can take one for the team.” He tells me, smiling.

 

 

“I need to talk to Ted and Cynthia, so you can wait here or come in.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I have all the plans for the launch, I was just going to give them to Cynthia. You should tell Justin to come here so we can chat.” He tells me. 

 

 

“His mother wanted to spend time with him before we left, go there to get your gossip. He's meeting me here to take Daphne to dinner, but it might be better to have it here, less chance I have at growling.” I tell him.

 

 

“I want to growl a little myself.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Do it when we're not here. Justin doesn’t need to hear why.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I wouldn’t be stupid enough to tell Justin.” He tells me.

 

 

“That also means Ben and Deb.” I tell him. 

 

 

“That wouldn't have either of them very happy with him. You sure you don't want them to know? Michael would be busy trying to explain his way out of the grave Deb would dig him.” He tells me. 

 

 

“As much as them fighting with each other sounds great, I don't want to remember it.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I'll leave it, but if he starts giving me shit, all bets are off. Here, give this to Cynthia and I’m off to see Baby.” Emmett tells me.

 

 

I don’t think they understand that I have a hard enough time knowing Michael said what he said, that I don’t want it to keep coming up. I walk into my office and hand Cynthia Emmett’s packet. Ted comes in and sits on the couch with his paperwork.

 

 

“Have you found a location yet?” Cynthia asks me.

 

 

“I haven’t been there for more than a couple days before having to go see Gus. I’m hoping to convince the twat that a bigger apartment would be a good idea. I should just get Jen to come so she can feel included, since Deb decided to include her before we could.” I tell them.

 

 

“Deb went to Jen, didn’t she think you and Justin wanted to tell her?” Cynthia asks me.

 

 

“Cynthia, when a Novotny knows, everyone knows.” Ted tells her.

 

 

“Brian if you want the office to be a branch we should be looking at smaller locations.” Ted gets to business, good old Teddy understands me.

 

 

“I’ve been making tentative plans to move back here next year when Mel and Lindsay could do it. We all want to raise the baby together with Gus. I want to eventually have Kinnetik New York with Cynthia running it. Ted we are going to be looking at Chicago eventually too. If we do this, we do it all the way. For now having everything being created here will be okay, but if the account is in New York we’ll have to staff it for clients needs. We have enough capital to not have to take out loans and I want to keep it that way.” I tell him.

 

 

“I’m going to bring this up and shoot me down if you need to, but Chicago or New York might be a better place for the four of you. It will give all of you a break from here and be close enough that the others won’t bitch about it.” He tells me.

 

 

“I don’t mind Chicago over New York. I bet Lindsay would love being there and Justin would have more time to do what he needs to.” Cynthia tells me.

 

 

“Part of my plans have to do with Justin’s house.” I tell them.

 

 

“But who would take over Chicago?” Ted asks me.

 

 

“Ted, it’s years off, but I always assumed, you. Unless you and Blake what to stay here.” I tell him.

 

 

“We’ll talk about it when it happens but I think Blake would like to do it.” Ted tells me, smiling.

 

 

“Can you make time to come up to New York next week. You can deal with any agreements if I find what I’m looking for.” I tell him.

 

 

“Sure, I’ll see if Blake and Emmett want to come. They can hang out with Justin while we work.” He tells me.

 

 

“Hopefully that will keep Justin from complaining that he misses everyone. If everything’s good, call Blake and tell him to come here for dinner. Emmett and Justin are going to bring stuff here.” I tell Ted.

 

 

“I assume that you're leaving after?” He asks me.

 

 

“As long as we can keep Deb from finding out we’re here.” I tell him.

 

 

“Mel called and said that Michael left mumbling about how Ben and him should go by Justin’s on the way home. You should be in the clear.” He tells me.

 

 

Justin came in with my woman, who ran and leapt in my arms.

 

 

“You better be glad that I didn’t want to be baby mama.” She tells me kissing me.

 

 

“I was hoping you wanted me.” I joke.

 

 

“Nope, I don’t see any kids in my future. Unless I find a man who doesn’t want my best friend. I called Mel and told her that Aunt Daphne will be at all important events.” She tells me.

 

 

Justin and Emmett were carrying bags and walked into the conference room together. I put Daphne down so she could go play with them. Blake came in waving and went to see Justin and his merry gang. I looked at my cell phone and decided to see what Mikey needed.

 

 

“Brian, Ben and I stopped over but you and Justin aren’t here. I was hoping to have dinner with you guys before going home.” He tells me.

 

 

“Sorry, we had things to do before going home, we won’t be back until tomorrow.” I tell him.

 

 

“Ben and I are free until Monday, we could stay and see you in the morning.” He tells me.

 

 

“Why not go home and spend time with Hunter. Isn’t he home this weekend?” I ask.

 

 

“I guess, if you're so busy.” He tells me.

 

 

I hang up without replying because really, what do you say when he can’t get a clue. I go and sit at the table with Justin and company, smiling because Justin was here with me. I wonder if New York is better for all of us than here and decide that Justin and I have some talking to do about more permanent housing. I know Lindsay and Mel would be happier further away. If I can get Emmett to stop fighting the idea of Drew, than Justin would have Emmett closer to him, since Drew is retiring and living there already. I wonder if Drew wants to hang out with us next week too. I smirk at Emmett who looks wary. 

 

 

“Whatever it is, remember Baby loves me, and you’ll be in the dog house if I don’t like it.” Emmett tells me.

 

 

“Ted and I were talking about you and Blake coming with him next week when he comes for business. It will give you all time to play together.” I tell Emmett and Justin.

 

 

After dinner Justin just has to hug everyone and they all act like they didn’t just spend two hours eating together, trying to out talk each other. I get Justin in the car and decided to give him time to think about New York being more permanent. 

 

 

“Do you want to stay in New York?” I ask him.

 

 

“I thought we were going to move back?’ He asks me.

 

 

“Mel and Lindsay would be happier there than here. It’s up to you, but Ted mentioned it, and it got me thinking that it could make things easier.” I tell him.

 

 

“I told you, where you are, I am, so we talk to the girls and make the decision.” He tells me.

 

 

“I figured I’d mention it now so you can think it to death before we got home.” I tell him, watching him put his phone down so I couldn’t see the screen. Like the big banner with “How To Teach Your Baby In The Womb” could be missed.