- Text Size +

EMMETT 

 

 

You know that gossip is like an itch that you can't reach? It drives you insane but you can’t do anything about it. We were eating dinner at Deb’s on Sunday because she wanted all of us there. Michael was still grumbling about not seeing Brian before he came home. Teddy seemed to smile at Blake every time something came out of Michael’s mouth. Ben seemed to only be talking to Hunter about school. How Michael didn’t notice the tick in Ben’s cheek every time he complained was a mystery to me.

 

 

“I wonder where they were that we didn’t find them at home?” Michael asks Ted. Tick, Tick.

 

 

“Probably fucking in the bathroom at the airport and missed their flight.” Deb tells us, laughing. Tick.Tick.  

 

 

“They didn’t tell Mel or Lindsay they were going anywhere either. Ben and I stopped by so we could spend time with them and ended up having to change our plans. I swear they should just give us a schedule so we know where they are.” Michael complains. Tick Tick Tick, guess Ben really didn’t like that one.

 

 

“Michael, they don’t owe you an explanation for their whereabouts.” Deb tells him and we all practically snapped our necks when she said that one. “The girls should have been better about telling you things though.” Deb adds and the world is righted again.

 

 

“What about Brian and Justin?” Hunter asks looking up from his phone.

 

 

“They weren’t home last night when we stopped by Justin’s apartment on the way here.” Michael tells him. Tick Tick.

 

 

“Why did you look for them there instead of here, I mean this is where they were last night.” Hunter asks him, confused. SHIT.

 

 

“What are you talking about?” Deb and Michael ask at the same time.

 

 

Hunter looks at Ted and me and seems to realize he told on Brian and Justin. “Nothing, I could have been mistaken.” He mumbles.

 

 

“They came here didn’t they?” Michael asks Ted, glaring at him.

 

 

“They didn’t come to see me, they are going to hear it from me.” Deb tells us.

 

 

Ben’s cheek stopped ticking but I think we could count the thinning of his lips and the not so happy look as a tick.

 

 

“They didn’t come see you because they were doing what they wanted, not what you two seem to think they should, you know, tricking in bathrooms.” Ben tells them.

 

 

“I was kidding, but not to stop by and talk to me is inexcusable.” Deb tells him.

 

 

“I think they were more upset because you ran to Jen and told her something that Justin should have been allowed to tell her.” Ted tells her.

 

 

“I think that she should have already been told they were doing this, maybe she can tell them it’s not a good idea.” Michael tells us. 

 

 

“Michael, I just wanted Jen’s opinion, it’s up to them to do what they want.” Deb tells him.

 

 

“I think that everyone knowing before me was really shitty.” Michael looks at Ted and me.

 

 

I held it in because I promised, but it was really hard to do. 

 

 

“Mel’s my best friend and needed my opinion on how to talk to Brian and Justin. I told her that it was her life and she needed to make sure she wanted to do what she was thinking.” Ted tells him.

 

 

“Emmett knew too, right?” Michael glares at Ted.

 

 

“We talked about it, but not at first.” Ted tells him. Tick, Tick.

 

 

“I’m through talking about this now, I think Hunter and I will walk home.” Ben tells Michael.

 

 

“Be careful. Why not take the car, I can get Ted to drop me off?” Michael asks him, completely oblivious to Ben’s anger.

 

 

“I think I’ll go too. I wanted to get a few things before tomorrow.” I tell them wishing that I already found a new place.

 

 

I got up and walked out of the house. Ted and Blake were coming out behind me when Michael followed them out, shutting the door.

 

 

“I can’t believe you all kept this from me.” Michael tells us.

 

 

“What, that they were doing the baby thing, or that they came here?” Ted asks him.

 

 

“Both, we don’t hide things from each other. Emmett you didn’t tell Ma anything, that’s really kind of shitty of you.” He tells me.

 

 

“REALLY, not telling you or Deb what I was told not to tell was shitty?” I ask him, pissed.

 

 

“Emmett don’t.” Ted tells me.

 

 

“No. I think we should all discuss telling everyone why something happens, right Michael?” I ask him.

 

 

“That’s what I was telling you.” Michael smiles like I did something right.

 

 

“Michael not now.” Ted tells him.

 

 

“Okay then Michael, why not tell everyone why Brian knocked your ass out. We could go and see what Deb thinks about it, or even Ben. You’re all for not keeping anything a secret, right?” I ask him.

 

 

“Who told you?” Michael looks warily at Ted.

 

 

“Does it matter who told? You should have been kissing Brian’s ass, asking for forgiveness for saying Justin should have been left to die when he was bashed…” I stopped when I heard someone gasp behind me.

 

 

“Fuck.” Ted muttered.

 

 

“Jen, no.” Blake blocks her path to Michael.

 

 

“How could you ever say that about someone you claim to be a friend to?” Jen asks angrily.

 

 

“It was when he left Brian for the other guy, I was mad, but I never meant it.” Michael tells her.

 

 

“How could Justin forgive you for that?” She asks Michael. 

 

 

“Forgive Michael for what?” Deb stands at the open door. 

 

 

“Michael, want to tell your mother what you said?” Jen glares at him.

 

 

“Jen it was years ago, and Brian asked that we not repeat it.” Ted tells her.

 

 

“WHAT DID MICHAEL SAY?” Deb yells at us.

 

 

“Since you shared Justin’s news with me, I’ll do Michael the same favor. He told Brian that he should have left Justin there to die the night of the bashing.” Jen tells her. 

 

 

We watch as Jen walks back to her car, grabs a cake and comes straight to Michael. She turns the cake sideways and smashes it into Michael’s face. Michael took it and didn’t say a word, but then he most likely knows Deb isn’t going help him this time.

 

 

“I don’t care when it was, just that it came out of your mouth.” Jen tells him and walks to the car.

 

 

“I was going to stay pissed at you, but you have more problems than me right now. Teddy can I crash with you tonight?” I ask, wanting to get the fuck out of here.

 

 

Ted, Blake and I walk by Michael who Deb grabs by the ear and drags him into the house. Blake drives while Ted holds his phone to his forehead.

 

 

“What do you think Jen is going to do?” Ted asks us.

 

 

“Brian.” We both reply.

 

 

“At least he could keep her from telling Justin.” Ted tells us.

 

 

“Do you think it would matter to him anymore? I mean, it was a long time ago and they are friends now.” Blake tells him.

 

 

“If you found out someone you thought was a friend wished you dead, would you be okay with it?” Ted asks us both.

 

 

“I tend to forgive people too easily, but something like that would take a little time for me.” I tell him.

 

 

“I don’t know what I would feel about it. My life was a cesspool back then, so I might have felt they were right.” Blake tells us.

 

 

“Okay, think about it as if you were Justin and survived someone trying to kill you. You had to work hard just to hold a fucking pencil, much less be around huge crowds. Everyday was a fight to relearn, but fight you did. How would you feel if someone you thought was your friend belittled it because you walked away from a shitty relationship to find something different? Something that didn’t affect the moron who said and just said it because he was mad that you didn’t stay with the person he always wanted.” Ted tells us, staring out the windshield.

 

 

“Michael is going to have to beg Justin for forgiveness.” Blake tells us.

 

 

“I need to try to talk to Jen.” Ted tells us.

 

 

We drive to her house and she’s standing next to her car, talking to Tucker. Ted gets out and walks to her and we follow because he’s going to need us.

 

 

“I don’t want to forgive him.” She tells Tucker.

 

 

“Jen, people say all sorts of stupid shit when they're angry.” Tucker tells her.

 

 

“Why was Justin breaking up with Brian any of Michael’s business?” She asks him.

 

 

“Michael couldn’t see past the fact that Justin managed to have the one thing he couldn’t, Brian. Instead of staying with him when they weren’t seeing eye to eye, Justin left to find what he thought he wanted. Michael was angry and said it without really understanding how bad it sounded.” Ted tells her.

 

 

“Ted, I would have kicked his ass.” Jen tells her.

 

 

“Does it count that Brian gave him a black eye?” Ted asks her.

 

 

“It helps, but you know I’m going to talk to Brian about it.” She tells us.

 

 

“Jen, he doesn’t want Justin to know.” Ted tells her.

 

 

“Babe, you really want Justin to hear it, years later?” Tucker asks her.

 

 

“I just don’t understand how no one can keep a secret about Justin having a baby, but they can all hide the fact that Michael said something as vile as that.” She tells him.

 

 

“Jen, no one knew for a long time. By the time we knew, years had gone by. In fact it’s just that Deb and Michael have been acting like everyone should tell them things that it was brought up now, because at the time, no one knew why Brian did it but everyone condemned him for it.” Ted tells her.

 

 

“In other words, you were all looking out for Michael.” She tells us.

 

 

“No, we were helping Brian protect Justin from hearing it.” I tell her.

 

 

“Look, if it will help, talk to Brian or even the girls about it, but don’t say it to Justin. None of us are sure how he would feel if he knew and we don’t want him hurt by it.” Ted tells her.

 

 

“Babe, listen to him. Justin left that behind him and this will only dredge it up for him.” Tucker tells her.

 

 

“Do you need us to stay and talk to you about it?” Blake offers.

 

 

“No, I promise to wait and call Brian after Ted does.” She tells us and goes in, waving goodbye to us.

 

 

“Do you now understand why it’s better not to open your mouth?” Ted asks me, dialing his phone.

 

 

“I didn’t expect Jen to show up, Deb told us she wasn’t coming.” I defend myself.

 

 

“Hey Brian, sorry but you need to know, Deb and Jen know about the garden party.” He tells Brian.

 

 

“Michael and Emmett started in on each other, and Emmett said it without realizing Jen was there.” Ted tells him.

 

 

“I’ll let him know. Yeah, she said she’d call you tomorrow. No, it might be better for you to stay where you are, because Hunter told everyone he saw you and Justin somewhere. Wait.” He tells Brian “Did Hunter say where he saw them?” Ted asks us and we shake our head no. “Not sure, I can find out if you want me to. Yeah, it really doesn’t matter. Call me if you need anything.” Ted tells him hanging up.

 

 

“I never realized you and Brian were that close.” I tell Ted.

 

 

“I just stopped looking at the outside and saw that he has a heart.” Ted tells us.

 

 

“It beats to Justin’s.” I tell him smiling.

 

 

“I get it, because mine does for Blake.” Ted tell Blake.

 

 

I smile, but part of me wishes I had someone I could say that about.