- Text Size +

MICHAEL 

 

 

I tried calling Brian, because my life is a mess and I need help to get everyone to stop being pissed at me. It's like they all think I held the bat. Hunter was working at the diner today, so I figured it kept Ma off my ass. Ted came in and sat in front of me, but then held up his hand before I could speak.

 

 

“I came to tell you that Justin needs time and won't be doing Rage or answering if you call. He needs you to let him decide if he can forgive you. Michael do yourself a favor and give it to him.” He tells me. 

 

 

“We can’t just put the comic on hold, it's our business. He has to realize that I don't feel that way and it just came out because I was upset by what he did.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Right now he's not in the mood to indulge you. I don't think you running around trying to use the comic as a reason he has to see you would do anything but cause more problems.” He tells me. 

 

 

“All this is because you told Emmett.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Blame me if it makes you feel better, but leave Justin alone for now.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Why's Blondie in a snit?” Hunter asks looking at us.

 

 

“That's up to him to tell you. I need to get back to work.” Ted tells us and walks out.

 

 

“So what's everyone so pissed about?” Hunter asks sitting down.

 

 

“I said something years ago and they all act like I said it now.” I tell him.

 

 

“What?” He asks me. 

 

 

“I said Justin should have been left in the garage the night he was bashed, but I was angry and it just came out.” I tell him. 

 

 

“What did Justin do to you?” He asks me. 

 

 

“It was when he left Brian for someone else.” I tell him. 

 

 

“What did that have to do with you? Brian being angry I get, but how did that translate into you being angry, unless he was cheating with say, Ben?” He asks me. 

 

 

“He was cheating on my best friend.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I got that part, but you seem to be missing the part I said about it not being about you. I can understand being hurt for your friend, but not you saying something about another friend that was really nasty. Is that why Ben is less zen?” He asks me. 

 

 

“He seems to think I spend too much time taking care of my friends and not enough on him.” I tell him. 

 

 

“You do.” He tells me shrugging.

 

 

“I don’t, it's just they can't take care of their relationships without help.” I tell him. 

 

 

“You can’t keep your relationship afloat if you spend all your time on theirs. It’s really that simple Dad.” He tells me getting up to clear tables.

 

 

I get up and head to my shop, feeling like no one understands why I was angry. 

 

 

MEL 

 

 

I can't believe after telling everyone to mind their own business, I'm about to interfere. I call Brian because I want to help if they need us too.

 

 

“Hey, Brian’s talking to a guy about a building, so I can get him to call back when he's done.” Justin tells me. 

 

 

“I just wanted to make sure you're alright.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I'm dealing with it. I'm just not sure how my friendship with Michael will end up. I still have to talk to my mom and pray she's not on the warpath.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Lindsay told me you and Brian are talking about staying in New York.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I think he doesn't want us to all be back in Pittsburgh, because no matter how high a fence you build, they'll find a way over it.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Lindsay and I are leaning towards New York. It offers more opportunities for us than Pittsburgh. Lindsay could find work in a gallery and there's always room for another lawyer.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I think Brian wants my mom to help look for a house here. We agreed to sell the one in Pittsburgh if you guys come here. If not, you could live in that house.” He tells me. 

 

 

“When are you going to look for a house there?” I ask him. 

 

 

“Ted is coming next week, so I figured why not see If my mom could come and look while Ted and Brian work. I'm between commitments right now anyway.” He tells me. 

 

 

“It might be a good time for us to visit with Jen, instead of Pittsburgh, if you don’t mind. I could get us rooms by your place.” I tell him. 

 

 

“That’s fine. You and Lindsay could look with me. Brian told me it's my house so I get to decide, but then hands me the specs on a house in Scarborough, it's huge. It’s crazy how much he's willing to spend on it.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Justin, the house in Pittsburgh wasn't pocket change.” I tell him. 

 

 

“It’s just overwhelming when I realize I left behind the life he wanted for us and he's still willing to give me everything.” He tells me. 

 

 

“He loves you, to him nothing else matters.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Why not come and see what he thinks is a house? It's big enough that we could get lost in it.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I'll call Jen and see if she wants to meet there, instead of Pittsburgh.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Can you let her talk to you if she needs it? I'm sure Brian is getting a call, but he seems guilty enough without Mom adding to it.” He tells me. 

 

 

“We all feel guilty for treating Brian like crap over it.” I tell him. 

 

 

“You know him, sorry is bullshit. He doesn’t want everyone apologizing.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Lindsay and I were worried that if we let Deb know we were coming, she'd want everyone to get you to talk to Michael. We were going to do what you and Brian did, and not tell anyone we were there.” I tell him. 

 

 

“They've been calling all morning, Brian won't answer. I just turned my phone off, because I need time and Michael won't give it to me.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Do you want to wait on the baby?” I ask him. 

 

 

“No. I don’t want us to change plans over this, Like I told Brian, we're starting a new life, it's time to start.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I'll call Jen and if she's agreeable, we'll come there.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Let us know. I can make plans for Jenny and Gus.” He tells me, hanging up.

 

I find Jen’s number and call her.

 

 

“Jen it's Mel. How are you?” I ask her. 

 

 

“A bit angry right now.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Understandable. Justin’s having a hard time with it too.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I don’t understand, so how could he? Michael is supposed to be his friend.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Michael never thinks, just reacts. It doesn't excuse him, it's just how he is.” I tell her. 

 

 

“How could anyone let him get away with it?” She asks me. 

 

 

“At first no one knew what he said, just that Brian punched him. We found out different ways, and for me, I felt like shit for thinking Brian was an asshole to hurt Michael. I think the others just didn’t want Justin to hear it.” I tell her. 

 

 

“It always comes out. It's just a matter of time.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Are you upset with all of us?” I ask her.

 

 

“No. Because you didn't say it. Am I making too much of this?” She asks me. 

 

 

“He's your son, I don't think there's any way for you to not feel the way you do. Just be ready for Deb to try to make Michael and Justin bury the hatchet. She might be mad at him but she's going to want us to smooth it over.” I tell her.

 

 

“She's going to waiting a long time for me to help.” She tells me. 

 

 

“I called to see if instead of us coming there, you would come to New York. Justin and Brian no longer want to move back to Pittsburgh and asked us to consider moving there next year. Less people involved in all our lives sounds wonderful to all of us.” I tell her. 

 

 

“A change of scenery sounds wonderful right now. I'll call and let Brian know I'll be there.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Jen if you need to talk, Lindsay and I are always available.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I just need to hold my son.” She tells me. 

 

 

“I completely understand. So we'll see you next week, but call if you need us.” I tell her. 

 

 

It's strange, but I get how she's feeling. When the bomb went off all I wanted was my family where I could hold them. Deb better let Jen deal with this on her own, because pushing Jen to forgive Michael might end their friendship.

 

 

DEB

 

 

Carl told me to give them all time before I barge in to save Michael from his own stupidity. I just hate the boys not talking to each other. I waited for him to leave and call Brian again. 

 

 

“Deb.” Brian answers.

 

 

“Brian we need to talk about how to solve this thing with Michael.” I tell him. “Brian you there?” I ask him. 

 

 

I pull the phone from my ear and realize he hung up on me. I call back because he's needs to help me. 

 

 

“Don’t you dare hang up on me.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Then don't expect me to help Michael talk to Justin. I can’t choose Michael in this, because I did and I’m lucky that Justin doesn’t see it as me agreeing with Michael. Justin has to come first.” He tells me.

 

 

“I’m not saying that you should choose sides, just that Michael needs help.” I tell him.   

 

 

“Then you and Ben need to help him. The same way Jen and I will help Justin if he needs us to. You gave me a speech that we all needed to grow up, and it’s time you listen to yourself, because he needs to figure his own way to solve this. Calling Justin is not the answer for either of you.” He tells me.

 

 

“Brian, when you and Justin move back here don’t you want everyone to have resolved this? Because without your help Michael will never manage to.” I tell him.

 

 

“That sounds like a problem for Michael. Justin asked for time and I want you and Michael to give it to him. If you call you better be just wanting to chat, not trying to get Justin to forgive Michael right now.” He tells me.

 

 

“He’s your best friend.” I tell him.

 

 

“No, he’s my childhood best friend, Justin now occupies that spot. I really shouldn’t have to say this but you need to realize Ben is who you should be talking to, not me. Later.” He hangs up again.

 

 

I stood there and couldn’t believe he wasn’t willing to help Michael. He always took care of Michael when Michael needed him. How could he not see that he’s the one who could solve this for both Justin and Michael. 

 

 

“Hey Deb.” Emmett greets me coming in.

 

 

“Hey, I can’t believe Brian isn’t going to help Michael.” I tell him.

 

 

“With Ben? It’s not really Brian’s place to get involved in Michael and Ben’s relationship.” Emmett tells me.

 

 

“I meant with Justin and Brian. What’s going on with Michael and Ben?” I ask him.

 

 

“If you don’t know than maybe you need to talk to Ben and Michael. I learned my lesson about opening my big mouth.” He tells me.

 

 

“Emmett, if it involves Michael I need to know.” I tell him.

 

 

“I’m not going to tell you something that they should tell you. After seeing the hurt in Jen’s face last night, I realized that I wasn’t any better than you and Michael, having to know everything. From now on you need to go to the source, because I won’t ever do what I did last night again.” He tells me running up to his room.

 

 

What the hell could be wrong between Michael and Ben?