- Text Size +

BRIAN

 

I looked around the chapel and smiled, because as colorful as it was, it was what Deb would want. Jen was arranging the vases by the podium and smiling at Justin, who was sneezing every few seconds. I pulled out his allergy medicine and handed it to him. He never remembers to bring it, so I keep some in packets for whenever we go somewhere. Emmett was helping Carl get into a suit, but we were under strict orders not to let him stand for long periods. Deb was sent on an errand for Mel and made it easy to get things into the hospital without Deb seeing.

 

Jen, Mel and Lindsay caught Deb before she went to Carl’s room and took her to the bathroom to get ready. We all realize the jig was up when we hear her yell “What the fuck do you mean I’m getting married!” to the whole wing. Justin and I walked out and got dressed which only made me smile, because I got to dress him this time and he couldn’t argue with me.

 

We were walking toward the chapel when I see Michael standing outside dressed for a change. Justin stopped me from telling him to get the hell away from the hospital.

 

“Let Deb tell him if he can come in.” Justin tells me.

 

“He spoils one thing…”

 

“It’s up to Deb if she wants him here, we can’t make that decision for her.” Justin interrupts me.

 

I grab Justin’s hand and walk by without looking at him. I know Justin’s right, it really is his mother’s decision, but I want this to be something Deb looks back at and smiles when she thinks of it. Ted rolled his eyes when he saw Michael but like us, just walked by.

 

DEB

 

I about fell over when Jen and the girls told me what they were doing. Carl was going to marry me and truthfully I was ready to be his wife. When I was dressed in a white gown, which I protested, until Jen told me that it was my first marriage so white was appropriate to wear. I felt like a young bride about to marry the love of my life. Someone knocked on the bathroom door and Jen lost her smile when she opened it to see Michael standing there. I asked everyone to leave him and I alone, because I love my son, just don’t love what he’s doing lately.

 

“If you’re here to cause trouble, leave now.” I tell him.

 

“You look beautiful Ma and I want to see you finally marry Carl.” He tells me.

 

“I wish I could say I want you there, but I just don’t want my day ruined because my son can’t see the truth about anything. You need to get Carl’s permission to come, because this is his present to me. I want you to face the only father you will ever have.” I tell him.

 

Michael stood there with the same look that usually had me handling everything for him. I just couldn’t do it anymore, because he disappointed me by not showing up at the hospital. Carl has done everything he could to help Michael, and Michael treated Carl as if none of it mattered to him. I walked away and let Michael decide if he was man enough to do what I asked of him.

 

Justin and Blake were waiting outside the doors for me and I smiled at the sons of my heart. Ten minutes later, Carl came down the hall in the wheelchair with Emmett pushing him. I just thanked God that I still had this chance with Carl. I looked up to see Michael behind Emmett. Carl grabbed my hand and I leaned down to kiss him.

 

“It’s fine if you want him in there, but he knows that he isn’t going to be part of the ceremony.” Carl tells me when I pulled back from the kiss.

 

“It’s more than he deserves right now.” I look at Michael, who nods in understanding.

 

“No more seriousness, we have a mom to marry.” Emmett tells all of us, excited.

 

The doors open and I smiled at the purple arch of flowers it's what I would have chosen.

 

 

When Justin handed me the bouquet I smiled because my boys know me so well.

 

It was the perfect way for me to show that even though they couldn’t marry here that it was the wish I'll continue to make for them. At that point I only wanted to marry the man who loved me with his whole heart. I put my bouquet in Carl’s lap and pushed the man I love to the front of the chapel. When we got to the front Brian and Ben stood beside Carl and helped him stand for the ceremony. I listened as the reverend said the words that would finally make me a wife. Carl looked at me and said his vows, for such a tough guy he said sweet words.

 

“Red, I waited for the day I would finally make you an honest woman. I want you to know to me we were married the day you said yes, we just took a while to make it legal. You have always been one of the most beautiful women I’ve had the privilege to call mine. I want us to have years to continue to love each other and the family we adopted and the family that is our own. You gave me your heart and I will cherish it forever. So today I marry the woman who I will spend the rest of my life with.” Carl tells me.

 

“Carl, I shouldn’t have made you wait for me to show that you were more important than a cause. I know that my boys and girls wouldn’t care about the world, just us doing what we makes us happy. I never thought anyone would want me to be their wife, but I met you and you stuck by me when I needed you. I love you for being the best man I know. So today I’m marrying the most wonderful man I’ve ever met and will always love.” I tell him.

 

We turned and the reverend finished the ceremony and it was overwhelming to hear Mr and Mrs Horvath at the end. I looked at Michael because I always thought he would be the one standing by Carl, and for the first time I saw Michael realize how much damage he’d done to all of us. I just couldn’t go to him and comfort him today. I reserved all that for Carl, and there just wasn’t anything left over for Michael. I looked at Brian and wasn’t surprised to see him and Justin together kissing. Emmett was smiling at Drew and Ted and Blake had their arms around each other. Lindsay stood behind Mel holding her hand over the small bump on Mel while the kids stood by their mothers. I hoped that Michael really saw what he could have had if he had tried harder.

 

The doctor came in and helped me get Carl to the waiting room where they set up a lunch for us to celebrate. I sat with Carl, smiling as the couples stood up and toasted us. Brian stood up with Justin and smiled down at him.

 

“I wanted to toast Deb for finally putting Carl out of his misery. You waited a long time for the perfect man and you found him. I understand why Carl stuck by you, because he only wanted the best for our Mom. Justin and I wanted to give you a present. As soon as Carl is better we arranged for you to take Carl to Italy and show him all the things that you shared with Uncle Vic. Thank you for all the love you gave us.” Brian tells us.

 

“I worked on this because you’ve always encouraged me to pursue my dreams. So I felt you and Carl should have something I drew for you. I managed to get a picture of both of you when you were our age.” Justin tells me and hands me a framed sketch.

 

I looked at the sketch and it was both of us in cameo staring at one another. I smiled through my tears at how handsome my Carl was when he was younger, but you know, I love how handsome he still is.

 

“You’ve just gotten better with age, Red.” He tells me looking at my younger self that looked life like.

 

Emmett got up with Drew and my Queen smiled that marvelous smile at me.

 

“Deb, you were the mother who loved me in a way my own couldn’t. You were there for me when I needed a shoulder to cry on and tell me that it would get better. You once told me mourn the losses because they were many, but celebrate the victories because there were so few. Today is the day to celebrate because this is a victory for all of us, you gave us a father to love.” He tells us.

 

“I just wanted to add that you alway made sure I knew that your home was a haven and I will always appreciate the kindness you gave me when the world wasn’t smiling at me anymore.” Drew tells me.

 

Ted and Blake got up next.

 

“You love with your whole heart, and Carl is indeed a lucky man to have you. I always knew that you would stand beside any of us when we needed you. Carl, thanks for loving this wonderful woman.” Ted tells me.

 

“I just wanted to say congratulations and I hope to be there to help you celebrate for many years to come.” Blake tells us.

 

Mel and Lindsay stand and I smile as Jenny runs to me and sits on my lap.

 

“I’ve always been in awe of how you never let life get you down, Deb. We’ve had times where we didn’t agree, but I’ve always know that if we needed you, you would put aside your anger and help us. Carl you loved each of us and were able to give my children a grandfather when their own weren’t willing to be there for them. I will always be glad that Deb waited for a man like you to love.” Mel smiles at us as she stands next to Lindsay.

 

“I spent years looking for approval from my parents, but ended finding in your home. It didn’t matter to you that we loved in a way the world didn’t always approve of, to you love was wasted unless you loved who you were destined to. Thank you for letting us all see we were normal for loving the people we do. Carl thank you for loving our Deb.” Lindsay tells us.

 

Tucker and Jen stood but it seemed Tucker was going to let Jen talk.

 

“Deb without you I might have lost one of the most important people in my life and not met the wonderful man who loved my son. I spent a lot of time trying to understand Justin but you told me the only important thing was to make sure he knew I loved him. It gave me a closer relationship to Justin and the understanding that love came in many different colors. Thank you for being my best friend and helping me love Brian as much as you do.” Jen tells me. “Carl you got a wonderful woman, always cherish her.” She tells Carl.

 

Hunter and Daphne stood with Ben. I looked to see Michael staring at the floor.

 

“Deb, you rock and Carl, you're cool for a cop. I love you both for loving me.” Hunter tells us.

 

“Deb and Carl I’m really happy that you found each other and want to thank you for always showing support when others would question decisions we make. Deb you showed me that being strong didn’t make me less, but more. I promise to always carry your lessons through my life.” Daphne tells me.

 

“I love you Deb and will always consider you a mother no matter where my life takes me. Love Carl in a way that he always remembers. Be happy for each other and stand by each other.” Ben tells me, and I know it’s what he had wanted but not gotten from Michael.

 

I was really worried when Michael stood, but for once my son didn’t turn this into being about him.

 

“Ma you deserve to be happy for giving so much love to anyone who needed it. Carl thank you for loving her.” Michael tells us and then leaves the room.

 

Waiters came in and put plates on the table and we all celebrated until the doctor came in and told Carl he needed to rest. I kissed each of my children and grandchildren. Then followed my husband to his room.  We might not be able to do anything, but laying together was enough for now and maybe a few kisses.