- Text Size +

MEL 

 

 

I went to see Ben, because I wanted him to know that regardless of what goes on with Michael, I still want him in Jenny’s life. I guess I was also curious if he was really breaking up with Michael. What I didn't expect was for Jen to be with Ben.

 

 

“Mel, it's nice to see you.” Jen tells me. 

 

 

“I didn’t expect to see you here.” I tell her while she hugged me.

 

 

“Ben wanted to see what was available to rent.” She tells me. 

 

 

“So are you really breaking up for good?” I ask him. 

 

 

“I'll talk to Brian about what we discussed and get back to you Ben.” Jen tells him.

 

 

“I didn’t mean to run you off.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I had plans with Justin, and I just can't be objective about Michael.” She tells me. 

 

 

“I understand, but if you want to stay I'll keep my mouth shut.” I tell her. 

 

 

“It's fine, tell Lindsay I said hi. In case Justin forgot in his baby craze, you girls are invited to lunch at my house before you leave tomorrow.” She tells me. 

 

 

“We'll be there.” I tell her as she leaves.

 

 

“You and Jen seem to be getting along well, she’s really excited about the baby.” He tells me.

 

 

“It’s nice to have someone who doesn’t see it the way Deb did. Deb’s been getting better though. I think she finally sees that we just needed to not be around things that triggered our problems.” I tell him.

 

 

“Brian was one of those things, and you’re moving closer to him.” Ben points out.

 

 

“Lindsay really sees where she did things wrong, and their relationship has changed. She comes to me when she needs someone to listen. She and Brian are more like sister and brother now, and in a way my jealousy didn’t help either.” I tell him.

 

 

“I had a small issue with that, but Brian wasn’t the one making Michael do things.” He tells me.

 

 

“You can tell me to mind my own business, but are you really done with Michael?” I ask him.

 

 

“I don’t really have an answer for that. I know that I still love him, but unless there are some major changes, it’s useless to even try.” He tells me.

 

 

“As much as he irritates me, I hate that it’s getting like this for you.” I tell him.

 

 

“He’s right that I married him knowing what he was like, but it was never this bad before. I’ve made mistakes, but unlike Michael I owned up to them. I think it’s the reason he started giving you a hard time about Jenny, because he won’t face our problems.” He tells me.

 

 

“Lindsay was actually the one who told me that instead of getting pissed, give him alternatives. When he calls to complain about visitations, I just offer to meet him halfway. It seems to stop him from giving me reasons why this can’t work.” I tell him.

 

 

“I keep trying to think of reasons Michael and I could work this out. I just don’t think Michael realizes what he said to Hunter was our problem, and not Hunter’s.” I tell her.

 

 

“I also came to tell you if you want to see Jenny you only need to call or even come visit.” I tell him.

 

 

“Thank you, I would miss her if this caused me to lose her too.” He tells me.

 

 

“She’s confused, but it’s not something we can explain to her easily. She thinks if she sees Michael that you're supposed to be there too. I was thinking and I wanted to see what you thought about us putting you down as one of her guardians, if we ever needed that.” I tell him.

 

 

“You really want that?” He asks me.

 

 

“I want all my kids to have their parents in their life.” I tell him.

 

 

“Than I would be happy to be whatever you want me to be for Jenny.” He tells me, smiling.

 

 

“I know he’s a pain in the ass, but if Lindsay and I can get past the things we did, maybe you can too.” I tell him.

 

 

“I’m just hoping Jen’s idea doesn’t send Michael into a tailspin.” I tell her.

 

 

“What?” I ask.

 

 

“The people who want to look at the loft aren’t moving to the area for a few months, so she said she would see if Brian would let me rent it until then. It makes it easier for me. Right now it’s hard to look for a place and work.” He tells me.

 

 

“Are you still helping Michael with the house?” I ask him.

 

 

“For now. But if we end it, than he’s going to have to buy me out or sell it.” He tells me, depressed.

 

 

“Ben, you need to get out and have some fun. Lindsay and I are meeting Ted, Blake, Emmett, and Drew for dinner, why not come? I’ll makes sure everyone knows not to talk about Michael.” I tell him.

 

 

“I don’t want it to be awkward.” He tells me.

 

 

“It won’t be, you’re just as much our friend as Michael is.” I tell him.

 

 

“It would be nice to just hang out without thinking about it.” He tells me.

 

 

I let him know the restaurant and offered to pick him up. I remember what this was like, and hated feeling like I was an outsider to people who were my friends. Ben is really the best part of Michael and Ben, of course I most likely think that because Michael’s being an asshole.

 

 

JUSTIN

 

 

Gus, my partner in crime, helped me get the my books past Brian. I wanted to order in and watch movies tonight with Gus. Emmett called, but Brian really wanted it to just be us for a while. Then of course Emmett tells me that Ted told him that Michael wasn’t happy about Brian selling the loft. My response was “What?”, it seems that Mr Kinney forgot to mention that to me. Gus was on the phone talking to Megan, who I swear must be the only girl on earth, the way Gus talks. I figured it was time to bring up why I seem to be the last one to hear the loft is getting sold.

 

 

“So you know that nothing is sacred, want to tell me about selling the loft?” I ask him.

 

 

“Did I forget to mention that to you? I’m sure I meant to tell you, but well, you’ve been so busy trying to understand the workings of the womb that I must have forgotten to tell you.” He’s such a smart ass.

 

 

“I thought you would have to come here once in awhile. So I assumed that you were keeping it.” I tell him.

 

 

“I have a house, why keep this?” He grabbed a magazine and started flipping through it.

 

 

“I thought you were selling it?” I ask, because we talked about this.

 

 

“Promise that after I say this you’ll check to make sure I didn’t grow a twat? I couldn’t, it’s something that I bought for you. We might never live there permanently, but maybe one of our kids will.” He tells me biting his lip.

 

 

“That’s really kind of sweet, and really a strange reason to keep an empty house.” I tell him.

 

 

“It’s not empty.” He mumbles.

 

 

“One chair does not make it full either.” I tell him.

 

 

“I ordered stuff. You know that floor really sucked.” He gets up and starts walking off.

 

 

“No you don’t. What did you order for the house?” I ask him.

 

 

“A bed and things, it was a while ago.” He tells me, shrugging.

 

 

“You had the house decorated didn’t you?” I ask him.

 

 

“Justin, at the time I wanted everything ready for us. So I made sure it would be ready for us. I know you told me you see it differently, but I see it as the place that if marriage is legalized we get married in.” He tells me.

 

 

“You really did just grow a twat.” I tell him, laughing as he chases me around the loft.

 

 

“If my son wasn’t here you be swallowing those words.” He tells me.

 

 

“Eating.” I tell him headed to the refrigerator.

 

 

“You seem to be mistaking twat and dick, could it possibly have anything to do with this.” He asks.

 

 

I turn and want to groan. I wanted to give Mel a gift, for well, allowing my swimmers in her canal. It’s not like I planned to use the stuff in it.

 

 

Brian holds up the basket that the lady at the Maternity store insisted every pregnant woman needed.

 

 

MICHAEL

 

 

Jenny and I were walking out of the restaurant and bumped into Emmett. Emmett smiles and tried to pass me without talking.

 

 

“Are you and Drew eating here tonight?” I ask him.

 

 

“We thought we’d try it.” He tells me looking behind him.

 

 

“Jenny and I thought we’d try it to, you should have called and we could have waited for you.” I tell him.

 

 

“It was spur of the moment.” Emmett tells me.

 

 

“We could stay for a few minutes.” I tell him.

 

 

“Emmett, Mel told me that she and Lindsay are bringing Ben.” Ted mumbles as he looks at his phone.

 

 

“Michael.” Emmett yells, as I pick Jenny up and start walking away.

 

 

“Michael, stop.” Emmett chases after me.

 

 

I stop and turn to see what could have made them invite everyone but me. Emmett rubs his face and then looks at me.

 

 

“Ted and I wanted to do a dinner for Mel getting the procedure done. I didn’t think having you and Mel in the same place was a good idea when all you do is argue with her. We wanted to do something nice for Mel.” He tells me.

 

 

“Since I’m the enemy for wanting my daughter closer, no one invited me.” I tell him.

 

 

“We didn’t invite you because you're doing your damndest to push everyone away.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Just go celebrate with your friends.” I tell him.

 

 

I get us in the car and Emmett looked at me, but didn’t say anything. He walked off and I sat and watched them all walk in the restaurant with Ben. I pulled out my wallet and looked at the card Alex gave me. It couldn’t hurt to go to one appointment. It’s not like I have anyone else to talk to.