- Text Size +

CHAPTER 20: NERVES

 

JUSTIN

 

I’m in actual pain.  My stomach hurts from laughing so much.  I’ve been punched by Daph on a couple of occasions but that haymaker was awesome.  Brian snorted coffee up his nose!

 

Mom has stepped out to answer the phone and we have rewound it back just to watch it that one more time. 

 

“Okay no more or I might actually throw up!”  Molly protests. 

 

Mom comes back in looking a little stunned.  “Uh that was Lucy, Craig’s ex uh…Molly?”

 

“Girlfriend.  She’s nice.  I hope she keeps in contact with me, but I guess…wait why was she calling you?”

 

“Well it seems that one of the reasons she’s so annoyed with Craig’s behaviour is that her cousin is gay but only on the first steps of his journey according to her…”

 

“What kind of bullshit is that?”  Debs demands.  “How old is this guy?”

 

“She didn’t say?” 

 

Debs snorts.  “Okay call her back and get her to bring him to the diner on Thursday and you guys are taking him to Babylon on Friday night.  Understood?”  She looks round the room and we are soon nodding.

 

“What’s Babylon?”  Daphne asks.

 

“My nightclub.”  Brian replies.  “Um are you?”

 

“No, but I love to dance can I still come?”  She looks hopeful and then beams when Brian nods.

 

Molly huffs in annoyance.  “I suppose I’m too young for that?”  Her pout gets bigger when we all nod.  “Not fair!”

 

“But I think I might be able to provide you with other entertainment.”  Brian replies mysteriously.

 

BEN & HUNTER’S – SUNDAY MORNING

 

HALLWAY

 

HUNTER

 

“Ssssh.  He’s just in there, don’t make a sound.  Just get in there real quick.  I can’t believe you’ve persuaded me to do this!”  I grumble.

 

I shut the door and head to the study.  Dad is grading papers and although he and Michael are on a temporary, though please God make it be permanent, hiatus he seems so much happier.

 

“Uh dad there’s something wrong with the TV.”  He looks up.  “It’s showing fuzzy.”

 

“Okay be there in a second.  Let me just…”

 

“It’s just that your show on Tibet starts soon and…”

 

“Good point, these can wait!”  He grins at me.  “Now when you say fuzzy what do you mean?”

 

“Well…”  I lead him back to the lounge.  “It’s just when I switch on this happens…”

 

I swing open the door.  “Surprise!”  Our neighbours yell and dad just gawps.

 

“What the…?”  He stammers.

 

“Happy birthday Ben!”  Matthew yells clapping him on the shoulder once I’ve pulled him inside.

 

BEN

 

I can’t believe it!  Most of our neighbours are here and they have brought presents.  I feel a little choked up and gratefully inhale the glass of champagne that Hunter hands me.

 

“When did you organise this?”  I finally find my voice.

 

“Friday night.”  Griffin beams at him.  “Now come on, birthday boy time to celebrate!”

 

“Oh wait, where’s Michael?”  Matthew asks looking round.  “Shouldn’t we wait for him?”

 

“We’re taking time to review and reflect upon the relationship choices we make...”  Dad replies grinning.

 

The entire room erupts with laughter.  “Oh my God do you remember that?   He did his usual thing of interrupting before people had finished talking and thought that Dylan and Graham were splitting up because they were taking separate holidays.”

 

“Ben can you seriously tell me just why?”  Jeff asks. 

 

Dad looks thoughtful.   “I think because I was scared he would be the only person to love me you know because of my…and I still am a bit.”

 

“Pish posh!”  Matthew snorts.  “Now let me tell you something Benjamin Bruckner.  Nobody and I mean no-bo-dy on this entire block thought you and Michael should be together and do you know why?”

 

Even I’m surprised by this!  Dad shakes his head.

 

“Because you’re too good for him.  You loved him period he loved you for now.  Until the one person he wants, becomes his, but from what I saw in New York he’s going to be waiting a very long time!”

 

“Oh yes, tell us about that!”  I demand.  “Not that I’m going to be sharing it with anyone outside this room of course.”

 

“Of course.”  Dad intones dryly.

 

DINER – SUNDAY AFTERNOON

 

MICHAEL

 

Finally, Brian called me back and we’re meeting here in about 10 minutes.  The conversation was a bit chilly as I still feel he should take some responsibility for the break-up but we will be fine, we always are.

 

“Michael.”  I look up and my smile falters, first because he’s got his boyfriend and Emmett with him and secondly he’s not smiling.

 

“Brian, can we talk about this alone?”  I look pointedly at Emmett and Vomit Boy, as I have taken to referring him as in my head.

 

He scowls but nods and they go to another booth.  “So have you spoken to Ben?”

 

“No.”  I cross my arms and glare at him.  “He should be calling me to apologise for his…”

 

“You lied to him.”  Brian interrupts curtly.

 

“I didn’t!  Besides he’s also been lying to me!”  I hit back.

 

“You told him that we were meeting up today, which wasn’t true and…wait what’s he been lying to you about?”  His tone softens.

 

“He didn’t tell me about you and him.”  I jerk my head in Vomit Boy’s direction.

 

“Why should he tell you?  It’s my business to tell and that’s what I did when I saw you at Babylon.”  He’s rubbing his forehead tiredly.

 

“Do you have a headache?  Mother can you get Brian some Advil?”  I call out.

 

“Debs, I’m fine, I don’t need that.”  He calls out to stop her.  “What I need is for you to listen to me.  If you want to restart with Ben then talk to Ben and apologise for what you did…”

 

“I didn’t do anything wrong.”  I object.  “I booked tickets to New York for Saturday as a surprise and…”

 

“Then how were you boys supposed to meet up on Sunday if you were going to be in New York?”  Mother slides into the booth next to me.

 

“It was a ruse using Brian as an excuse and Ben’s new found jealousy has blown it out of proportion and here we are.”  I sigh with big eyes.

 

“Then why didn’t you tell Brian that yesterday?”  Slick slides in next to Brian and bumps his shoulder.

 

“This is a private conversation that…”  I snark and then am stupefied as she ruffles his hair and he does nothing before she slides her hand to the side of his neck.

 

“Oh poor baby, you are so tense.  Let mamma help you with that.”  She coos before getting in the booth behind him and MASSAGING his shoulders and then his neck. 

 

I wait for Brian to say something but he doesn’t.

 

“Justin sweetie, come over here.”  She calls out.  She finally let’s go of Brian and I let out the breath I am holding only to gasp sharply when Vomit Boy replaces her behind him.

 

“Now, remember like I showed you the last time.  Behind his ears with two fingers in small circles moving across to the middle of the base of his skull and then down his neck.  Nice gentle circles, not too much pressure, yeah that’s right.  You’ll know when you’ve hit the sweet spot.”

 

Brian is just sitting there with his eyes drifting closed!  Why isn’t he stopping them!

 

“I have to go!”  I snap.  “Mother let me out!  And Brian when you’re finished behaving like this is the backroom call me so we can talk alone!”

 

EMMY LOU

 

Oh my God she is good!  But judging by the expression on Brian’s face so is Justin.

 

“He still glowering through the window?”  Slick asks.

 

“Oh yeah!”  Debs grins.

 

“You can stop when he goes, keep an eye Debs.”

 

“Like fuck he can!”  Brian snarks.  “This is better than Advil!”

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively.  Thank you xx