- Text Size +

CHAPTER 23: GENUFLECTION

 

BRITIN – SUNDAY MORNING

 

LOUNGE

 

GUS

 

Vomit Boy and Ghetto Queen!  Vomit Boy and Ghetto Queen!  And that idiot wonders why Jenny’s not talking to him?!

 

It’s so cool that dad changed his mind and told us to come last night.  We had an excellent time just watching movies and watching dad thrash Justin at pool.  Molly is really nice – she and Jenny have already been FaceTiming.

 

And I’ve spotted it the picture Justin did of me.  Aunt Jennifer burst into tears when she saw it. She said it was beautiful.  Slick and dad have told Justin to concentrate on the show he’s got in a few weeks but not to overwork his hand.  When I asked why and he told me about what happened I was fucking cross.

 

Okay I can hear raised voices; sounds like mom and dad.

 

BRIAN

 

“Lindsay.  Why do you think you have the right to decide when you come to my house?”

 

“Brian.”  She’s using that soothing condescending tone again.  “All I’m saying is that we as your oldest, dearest and best friends feel slighted that a mere slip of a thing you barely know has been and we haven’t.”

 

“Mere slip of a thing?”  I echo.  “Do you realise how insulting that is?  And what do you mean I barely know him…”

 

“Tell me one thing about him?”  Ah there’s the brittle tone I know and loathe.  

 

“No.”

 

“Why not? Could it be you know nothing about him?”

 

“I know plenty about him Lindsay.  But what I know about him is none of your business.”

 

“The people that Gus hangs around with are my business; he’s my son after all.  And I think that I should be introduced to him and…”

 

“Again no.”  

 

Lindsay gasps in surprise.  “Why not Brian?  What’s wrong with him?”  She’s starting to sneer now.

 

“There’s nothing wrong with him…”

 

“So I can meet him then.  In fact, why not drag him out of bed if you’ve not fucked him into oblivion and I can meet him now.  We can FaceTime in 15 minutes.  If I don’t hear from you, we may have to revise Gus’s summer plans.”  

 

She hangs up and I sink back into my chair trying to ease the headache that formed during the conversation.

 

GUS

 

I can’t believe mom just said that.  How can she threaten dad like that?  I head back to the kitchen in a daze and find myself telling everyone what happened.

 

“And I know dad. He would choose me over you, but he shouldn’t have to choose. It’s not fucking…”

 

“Calm yourself mini-him.  I think we should accede to her request to meet him…” Daphne smiles at Slick.

 

“…oh my little tiger.”  Slick grins and hi-fives her.  “Jennifer, ready to meet the WASP from the North?”

 

“Absolutely.  Now Gus, how did your mother know Justin is here?”

 

“Jenny said that her dad called and bitched about Vomit Boy and Ghetto Queen, thinking it was momma.  He…oh!  Oh I didn’t mean to tell you that…”  I trail off.

 

“Vomit Boy?  He calls me Vomit Boy?”  Justin gasps.

 

“At least I’m royalty.”  Slick snorts, angrily.

 

“Of course you’re royalty.  You are the Queen of Cars.”  Dad smiles at her, then he looks around at us all.  “What?”

 

“I he-heard what you and mom said.  And I kind of told everyone and what Uncle Michael calls Slick and Justin…”  I mumble.

 

“If she wants to meet Justin she has to come through us, all of us.”  Grandma grimaces.

 

“We need to set up the room properly.”  Slick is bounding to the study.  “Like a panel interview, everyone sitting with pads and pencils like we’re interviewing her.  How long have we got?”

 

“You’re serious?”  She smiles and nods and starts to rifle through the drawers, “About 10 minutes.  You set up the room; I’ll get what you need!”

 

“Someone set the timer!”  Daph yells out.  

 

“On it!”  Lindon calls back.

 

“Someone text Mel and Jenny!”  Slick shouts.

 

“What the hell do I say?”  Ben asks, chuckling.

 

“Not you!  It has to be a surprise.  Gus you send it.  Just say that Lindsay is going to meet Justin and they should be there.”

 

“Time?”  Daph yells.

 

“7 minutes!”  Lindon shouts out.

 

“If only I had time to do a banner.”

 

“Ems!”  Grandma laughs.  “Okay, where we sitting?”

 

“Brian in the centre with an empty chair next to him. I think everyone else around…”

 

“Time?”  Dad shouts trying to organise us.

 

“What do I do?”  Justin giggles.

 

“Stay there, just in shot enough but not if you get me?”  Robin positions him.  “Oh wait, Brian, would she recognise that watch?”

 

“Yes, she got it for Gus to give to me…oh you guys are bad!”  Dad quickly takes it off and puts it on Justin’s wrist.  “Keep your arm right there.  That about right Robin?”

 

“Perfect!”

 

“Time?”

 

“3 minutes!”  Lindon replies.  “No, Slick you sit next to Brian; Daph next to her; Carl and Debs behind. Ben, don’t come in yet but you will be in the seat behind Gus, then Hunter you come in with Ben and sit next to your dad.”

 

“Nailed it!”  Dad laughs.  “Come here you.”  He growls at Justin and gives him a big kiss.

 

“Wait!  The picture, get the picture and put it on the seat!”  I demand.

 

“Showtime!”  Auntie Ems chortles.

 

MEL & LINDSAY’S HOUSE

 

OFFICE

 

LINDSAY

 

“What are you guys doing here?”  I stop in surprise when I find Mel and Jenny in here.

 

“Gus said that you’re meeting Justin and I couldn’t miss that.  And Jenny wants to ask him a question.”

 

“Oh, uh okay.”

 

I take my seat on the couch and wait.  I know he’s going to ring and sure enough he does.  As I bend down to place my cup on the floor and get my WASP face on.  I hear Mel giggle.

 

“Jenny which one’s Justin?”

 

My head snaps up and I find myself starting at two rows of people, a few of whom I don’t know.

 

“Uh…what’s…?”

 

“Lindsay Peterson?”

 

“Y-yes…”

 

“Jennifer Taylor.  Justin’s mother, I’ll come back to you.  You must be Mel, Jenny’s mother, we spoke briefly last night.  This is Molly, Justin’s younger sister and this is Daphne, his best friend.  Now to the left and behind is Robin and to his left is Lindon.  You of course know Emmett, well the swarthy man is Idaho, and I think that’s all.”

 

She stands up to check and she’s wearing a t-shirt that says “bitch please” on the back.

 

“Nice to meet you.”  Mel replies gripping the chair. At least she’s as angry as I am.

 

“Demerits for bottle blonde.”  I think it’s Daphne that mutters.  “Justin’s a natural blond. I could see why she would feel threatened…”

 

“Brian what is this?!”  I demand.

 

“Oh shrill tone.  Two more demerits.  Tsk-tsk.”  Daphne writes something on her pad again.

 

“Where’s Gus?!”  I shout.

 

“That would be the mini-Brian just to the left of the empty seat.”  Jennifer drawls, sarcastically.

 

“Hi mom, momma, Jenny.”

 

“Peterson, Peterson.  Oh wait, would you be related to Ronald and Nancy Peterson?”

 

“Yes and who are you again?”  I’m determined to regain control of this situation.

 

“Three more demerits for pretentiousness…that’s one for each of them.  And one more for not paying attention to detail, basic WASP training fail.”

 

“And of course not noticing her son as a good mother should.”

 

“Stop this nonsense immediately!  Where is Vom…Justin?  He is who I want to talk to!”

 

“Why?  Why should I grant you an audience with my son or as you were about to say Vomit Boy?”

 

“Now look here…”

 

Jennifer carries on as if I haven’t spoken.  “Speaking of looking, does anyone have the time we really need to go to have something to eat soon?  Walking the grounds earlier worked up and appetite.  Oh Ben, Hunter you’re back. Did you enjoy the fishing?  Sorry darling what time did you say it was?  No, finish your…just stick out your wrist that will be fine…”

 

A thin wrist comes into view with Brian’s watch on it.  “Ah 1130, brunch time.  You know you’re right Brian, This does look great on him, but maybe if we take a couple of links out so it fits just right, would be better?”

 

“But, Gus gave him that!”

 

“I don’t mind mom. It looks better on Justin. I said at the time that it has too small a face.”

 

“Brian, aren’t you going to say anything?!”

 

He looks up and me tilts his head to one side.  “Mel, can Gus still come for the summer holidays?

 

“Of course!  He’s already starting packing.”  Mel smiles at Gus, then frowns.  “Why wouldn’t he be coming?”

 

“Ask Lindsay.”  He replies tersely.

 

“Lindsay? Permission to meet Justin denied.”  Slick snarks and the screen goes black.

 

MEL

 

“Uh Jenny…”

 

“Be anywhere but here right?”

 

“Please.”

 

I wait for her to shut the door and then turn to Lindsay.  “Just tell me that you didn’t use Gus as leverage to get your own way?  Can you look me in the eye and tell me that?”

 

“You make it sound…”

 

“Exactly what it was.  Now look at me Lindsay.  I said look at me!”  She brings her tear-stained face up.  “The tears aren’t going to work.  If you join Michael in his crusade to come between Brian and Justin or in any way try and finagle your way into Britin, I will reinstate Brian rights and he will pay exactly what Michael pays support wise.”

 

“But Michael doesn’t pay any…”

 

“Exactly!”  I snap and stalk out.

 

BRITIN

 

BEN

 

We all stare at the screen in silence.  Whilst Slick had switched off the screen she hadn’t disconnected the call and had signalled for silence.  We just didn’t expect to hear that.  Correction, I didn’t expect to hear that. I always thought he paid support.

 

Brian is quiet and still.

 

“Bitch fucking bitch!  Permission to meet Justin denied!”  Lindsay’s voice comes over the screen and we gape at each other.  She’s not realised that we’ve not disconnected.

 

“Michael, it’s Lindsay.  Well I’ve had the supreme joy of being humiliated by the Ghetto Queen and her cohorts.  I see what you mean about Brian changing and not for the better!  He just sat there and let her do that!  Wait let me see where Mel is.”

 

We wait with bated breath as we hear the door open and close and I notice that Gus holding up his phone with a grim expression.

 

“Right where was I?  No I didn’t get to meet him but I did get to see his skeletal wrist wearing Brian’s watch!  But I met his vicious mother! Oh if she and I ever met face to face she’d know exactly how I deal with her ilk and as for his best friend, she obviously has she not heard of straighteners.”

 

Debs almost has to sit on Daph to keep her quiet.

 

“Anyway, the most important thing is to get them apart.  We need our Brian back and he won’t be back with that leech hanging off him.  Now I don’t want you to get upset but Ben and Hunter were there too.  Ouch!  Stop screaming Michael! This is not my fault remember!  Look I’ve got to go... just do your best. I’m down in a couple of weekends and we will be staying at Britin, all of us except him of course.  Bye speak soon.”

 

There’s a tense few minutes as she moves around the office muttering before we hear the door close.  Gus stops Slick from disconnecting the call and dashes out the room, less than a minute later he’s back.

 

“Are you there yet?  You sure she’s not around?”  Gus demands quietly.  “Okay Slick switch the screen back on.”

 

Slick frowns but does as she’s told and we are faced with a confused looking Mel.  “Momma I need you to listen to something…”

 

“Leave this with me.  See you in a couple of weeks Brian.”  Mel looks furious.  “And Brian, I’m- I’m sorry that you’re going through this. I had no idea it was this bad for you.”

 

“Uh thanks Mel.”  Brian looks genuinely touched.

 

“Okay right I…”

 

“Wait.  Mel, I’d like you to meet someone.”  Brian tugs him into view.  “Mel this is Justin, Justin this is Mel.”   

 

She grins at him.  “Ah now I see why.  You are beautiful!  Nice to meet you.  Look forward to meeting you in person, all of you.”

 

The rest of the day not a mention was made of Lindsay and Michael and we had an excellent time.

 

DINER – TUESDAY LUNCHTIME

 

MICHAEL

 

Not only is our usual booth occupied but Brian hasn’t returned a single call!  I’m still steaming that not only have they been to Britin but now Ben and Hunter have as well!  And he calls himself my best friend!

 

But like Lindsay says, things will return to normal once the leech is gone and I’ve got a plan on that one.

 

The door opening brings in Emmett, Slick, Justin, Ted, Ben and Brian and they walk to the back booth and to my surprise the leather queens that were in there all get up and move to the next booth along.

 

I get up and head to join them but am stopped by one of the leather queens.  “Name?”

 

“What?”

 

“Your name and do you have an appointment?”

 

“I don’t need an appointment to sit with my best friend now let me pass!”  I try to dodge by him but he blocks me at every attempt.

 

Just then Hunter comes up.  “I bring a bountiful bag of goodness, may I have an audience?”

 

“You may.”  He lets Hunter pass with no problem but I’m blocked as I try to follow.

 

“Now, you may not need an appointment to sit with your best friend, but you do need an appointment to sit with his.”

 

“I am his best friend everyone knows…”

 

“NO!”  Vomit Boy bellows standing up.

 

“A best friend only wants the best for a person, not what they want!  A best friend doesn’t try and split up a relationship because they’re not getting any of his time!  A best friend doesn’t spread rumours about them and a best friend does NOT call anyone his best friend cares about names behind their back and…”

 

The diner is so quiet. Even the ever-present clang of dishes about has stopped. I watch taken aback as Brian takes Vomit Boy’s hand and gives it a squeeze and I’m hard-pressed not to roll my eyes at this attempt to show me up.

 

He says, “You and Lindsay can try as much as you want but the only person to get rid of me is Brian!”

 

Slick gets up and walks towards me.  “Michael?  Listen very carefully.  This Ghetto Queen is officially hunting you…I always thought you were an idiot but this much of one...  Wow!”

 

She turns back to the booth and they leave me standing there.  I stomp out to snickers and giggles and make my way back to my store.

 

“Hunting me? Who the fuck does she think she is?!  What can she possibly do?”  I mutter to myself.

 

DINER

 

SLICK

 

I swaffle another cherry and grin at Ben.  “So you and Robin, when you going on a date?”

 

Ben blushes so cutely I want to ruffle his hair.  “Back at you over Lindon?”

 

“Lindon as in Lindon that was here last week Lindon?”  Kiki immediately dashes over and the leather queens turn around.  “Ooh you have to date him!”

 

“Wipe it off Kinney.”  I snark at his smile in the face of my embarrassment.  “Or we…” I pause and Justin and I exchange knowing looks.

 

“We?”  Emmy Lou prompts.  “We what?  What have you just said to each other?”  Emmy Lou is bouncing in his seat.

 

Brian grins at us.  “You really are very good.”

 

“Like I said, psyche major.”  I smile back.

 

“What?  Seriously what?!”  Emmy Lou demands. Justin then leans across and whispers in Emmy Lou’s ear.  “Fuck me!”  He gasps.

 

“All hail the queen!”  Brian raises his coffee mug and winks at me, I smile and wink back.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constuctively, thank you xx