- Text Size +

CHAPTER 31: WHEN?

KINNETIC – WEDNESDAY – LATE MORNING

BRIAN

I have had a great meeting and we signed the contract. As I head back to my office, I find Cynthia impatiently tapping her foot.

“Door.  Now.”  She orders.

I sigh and open the door and immediately Baloo and Bagheera come trotting happily towards me.

“Oh my God!  Oh my God!”  She breathes immediately scooping up a startled Baloo but soothes him instantly.

“Cynthia, you’ve seen them now put Baloo down and get back to work.”

“Baloo?  And who’s this?”

I sigh.  “Bagheera.”

“As in Jungle Book!  That is adorable.  Mary!  Quick come here!”

“Cyn…”  I begin.

“Hush.  Get him, he’s called Bagheera.  Let’s introduce them to the rest of the Kinnetic family.”

“For fuck sake!  They are our puppies and I have…”

Cynthia holds up a hand.  “Yes they are and no you don’t.  When we’ve finished introducing them to the family, we’re moving them to the small break out room where everyone can keep an eye on them.”

And with that they sweep out of my office.  “Again our puppies.”  I gripe into the empty space.

Two hours later I go and check in the break room and they are sound asleep with one of the art department’s intern’s working quietly beside them.

“You can go back to your department now.”

“Okay Mr Kinney.”  He smiles.  “They are gorgeous and the names suit them perfectly.”

“So who named who?”  Cynthia comes up behind me startling me a bit.

“Justin did Baloo and I did Bagheera.”  I smile as at their names they start to wake up.  “I’m going to take them for a walk, be back in an hour or so.  Okay?”

Smiling she nods and hands me their leashes.  “They’re good for you, all three of them.”

DINER

I tap on the door to get Debs’ attention. When she sees me, and I point down, she grins and waves me inside.

I open the door and start to head to the back booth but I’m stopped by a leather bear.

“Uh Kinney, I don’t want to alarm you but you have two bear cubs behind you and not the human kind.”

“Yeah, meet Baloo and Bagheera.”  I tell him. “Now I need to get them into the back office…”

“Guys for fuck sake let him get them inside and then you can ogle them!”  Debs orders.

Ten minutes later, I’m back in the booth only to find Michael and Lindsay approaching me. Debbie looks at me but I shake my head.

“What do you two want?”

“To talk to you now that you don’t have your entourage with you.”  Michael huffs, sitting down.

“You say entourage I say friends.”  I reply coldly.

“We’re your friends- we always have been and always will be.  I chose you to be the father of my child and…” Lindsay injects before I cut her off.

“Badgered and made me pay for it in every way since would be more accurate.  Have you spoken to a lawyer Lindsay?”

“No.  Simply because I don’t think this is what you want.  This is a knee jerk reaction to…”

“Yes I do.  Get a lawyer.”  I interject.

“Brian!  You are being stupid. You won’t win with your past life.”

“My past life has nothing to do with the future life I’m trying to build…”

“With…”

“Careful Michael.”  I growl.

“Excuse me Mr Kinney Sir.”  We are interrupted by a twink.  “Can I go and see them?”

“Sure, but if they are asleep don’t wake them.”  He beams at his leather daddy and scampers into the back office.

“Them?  Who is them?”  Lindsay demands.

“Baloo and Bagheera, the puppies…”

Lindsay gasps.  “Puppies?  If Gus and Jenny are around animals I- I mean we, need to see them.”  She states imperiously and starts to head to the office, only to be stopped by Kiki.

“Staff only.”

“He’s not staff.”  Lindsay sneers back.

“He’s our Saturday busboy.”  Kiki smirks.  “Now unless you want to get a job here…I suggest you sit like the little bitch you are.”

“I…”

“Sit!”  Kiki orders.

I have to hide my smirk behind the menu when Kiki heads behind the counter but close enough to cut off any attempt to get to the office.

“Brian...”  Michael begins.

“How’s Jenny? Have you seen her since she’s been here?  And the business plan, have you sorted that out?  You realise that Slick is very serious about kicking you out, you know with her not liking you and all…”

“About the business plan, I have no clue about that.  So I’m hoping you can…”

“How did you buy the comic book store? You must have had some idea with that.”

“I just bought it and carried on from where Buzzy left off.”

I just stare at him in disbelief.  “And you wonder why it is failing?”

“Brian you have to help me to help support Jenny.”

I get up and put on my jacket.  “No, I really don’t.  I think I’ve helped you enough.  You’re on your own- both of you.  Now I have to collect B&B and go back to work and earn my living.  Google is your friend since you don’t quite get the concept.”

MICHAEL

I watch Brian finally make it out the door with two, admittedly very cute, puppies who do look like bear cubs, and turn to Lindsay.

“You know what?  It’s time to take Brian back!  I’ve had enough of this! Come on let’s go back to the apartment.”

WALK BACK TO THE APARTMENT

“This bullshit and crapola only started when he met Justin.  So we need to get rid of Justin.”

“And how do you propose we do that?”  Lindsay sighs.

“Simple. He’s Justin Taylor, the kid that was bashed.  Let’s make it uncomfortable for him to be around.  Did you read the article in Pittsburgh Out? There was something about his dad abandoning him. Well what I propose is this…”

MEL & JENNY’S HOUSE – LATE EVENING

JENNY

“Dad!  Um how are you?”  I look stupefied at mom, who looks equally incredulous.  “I’m fine.  Oh no, sorry I can’t do Saturday, we’re out with the rest of the gang.  We’re going to Green Forest but we can go out on Sunday, right mom?”

Mom nods and after I hang up we just stare at each other.

BRITIN – FRIDAY EARLY EVENING

MUD ROOM

BRIAN

I’m trying not to laugh at the indignant- really fucked off- expression on Justin’s face.  From the waist down he’s soaking wet having unwisely followed B&B across the stream and slipping over.

“Not one fucking word, do you understand?”

“Yes dear.”

“We have to get them cleaned up. I don’t want them to get a chill.”

“Uh Justin you do realise…”

“Set the bath Brian!”

Okay I get that he’s pissed off and embarrassed but no he doesn’t get to do that.

“Justin.  I get that you’re pissed and upset about the…”

He starts to climb up me.  “Sorry I’ve been a princess and a brat.  Sorry!”

I hold him up and we kiss languorously.  “Bath for them and then shower for us.”

“Okay.  And I’m really sorry. I have a bruise on my ass I’m sure.”

“Aww, you have a booboo.  So you get to top me tonight instead.”

“You’re sure?”

“Oh yeah!”  I laugh and kiss him again then look round and see a trail of footprints.  “Oh fuck!”

GREEN FOREST RESTAURANT – SATURDAY EVENING

JENNIFER

Oh my goodness, I still can’t quite believe it.  In the last three weeks I have my son back and have a new best friend in Debs and a good friend in Lucy.  We’re at the bar waiting to be seated as our table is not quite ready yet.

“Mom please, please, please, please can I have a Shirley Temple if I drink it really slowly?”

“Yes but only with your food. Stick to soft drinks for now.”

“Yes!”  She fist pumps and goes back to join Gus and Jenny.

“Kinney Party!”  The waiter calls out.

We head to the table and it has the best view I have ever seen right of Pittsburgh apart from the one from Le Mont.  Brian has pre-ordered the starters for the entire table.  We’re having a great time, the only person missing is Slick. She said she would be here for the mains but she’s had an oil pan issue.

Suddenly Justin stops eating and goes still.  I look where he’s looking and see his father approaching.

“Well, well you’re alive.  I had hoped I would never see the day when you were back in my life.”  He sneers.

“He’s not.  Your son is in our lives, not yours.”  Brian states.

“I would think that the management of this fine establishment would prefer the custom of…”

“A fine upstanding young man who was abandoned by his father simply because he’s gay.  He was bashed at his prom and left for dead.  His father lied to him about where his mother, his sister and best friend were and threw him out of the house. For three years, he made his way honestly and honourably to where he is now.  I would think this fine establishment would prefer the custom of the person who made it in spite of being gay instead of the father that kicked him out and lied to him because he is gay!”  Brian snarls.

He takes a swig of his drink.  “But you prefer the company…”

“Sir please!  I am the duty manager.  Now if you could leave so there is no further embarrassment.”

Craig smiles smugly.  “As it should be.”

“Good.  Now settle your bill and leave!”

“Me!”  Craig yells.  “But what about them?!”  He gesticulates wildly.

“What about them sir?”  He glares at him.  “I would rather have an empty restaurant than have it filled with the likes of you!”

“You need help to leave?  Please say yes.”  A blond guy and two heavyset guys approach Craig.

“You touch me and I’ll sue for assault!”  He snaps.

“Excuse me.  I’m Detective Horvath, this man has asked you to leave so please do so.”

“One of Pittsburgh’s finest is associating with these deviants?!”

“No, one of Pittsburgh’s finest is associating with one of the bravest kids I have ever met and who I would be proud to call my son.  You ought to be ashamed of yourself.  You see for me, I don’t get the lifestyle that he leads but I’m learning.  Now, get out of here or I shall call the rest of Pittsburgh’s finest to assist you.”

Casting one of his filthiest looks at the table he storms out.

I turn to look at Justin and he looks just stunned.

“Please accept our sincerest apologies for the disruption to your meal sir.  Your drinks are on the house.”

I see Slick coming through the door only to be stopped by the blond who approached Craig earlier.  They talk for a bit and she nods.

“Sorry about that, Mercedes oil pans are a bitch to fix.  Brandon told me what happened.  You guys okay?”

Although there’s tears in his eyes, Justin nods, but Brian nudges him and they go to the bathroom.

“What did Brandon have to say?”  Emmy asks Slick.

“He told me how he thinks Craig got here.”

“How?”  I question.

“Oh no.  Please tell me he didn’t do this?  That they didn’t do this?”  Mel groans.

“Seems so.  Brandon’s friend overhead the dumbass twins talking and voila suddenly that bastard turns up. Coincidence? I think not.  Let’s keep this away from Brian and Justin okay?  We will handle it agreed?”

“Keep on the right side of the law and I’m with you.”  Carl grimaces.

“Fine.”  Slick sighs.  “Now let’s enjoy the rest of our evening.”

BRITIN – LATE EVENING

MASTER BEDROOM

BRIAN

Justin is spooned up against me but judging by his breathing he’s not asleep. My suspicions are confirmed when he turns round and nuzzles his nose into my chest.

I stroke his hair and pull the duvet up so we are cocooned.

“Brian?”

“Mmm.”

“Thank you for defending me.”

“I always defend what I…I will always defend you.”  I respond gruffly holding him tighter.

“When did you defend me?”  He whispers

“When you opened your eyes.”  I murmur.  “When did you defend me?”

“When you washed my hair.”

“Not the kiss?”

“That cemented my defence but it was definitely when you washed my hair.”

“Have to admit apart from the sex, that’s my favourite part of having a shower with you.”

“Mine too.  Good night Brian.”

“Night Justin.”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively, thank you xx