- Text Size +

CHAPTER 45: TWINKLE

 

DINER – TUESDAY MORNING

 

BRIAN

 

I need to speak to Emmy Lou about doing the catering for the loft dinner.  I’ve just come back from our lawyers and now that the parental situation has been sorted, we’ve decided that the restraining orders against the two of them can be lifted where all three of us are concerned.

 

The police don’t think that it was anyone but Taylor and Gold and with them in the correctional facility, we’re safe from them.

 

And of course the first thing they did when they found out was to call me. I let it roll to voicemail.

 

I still have them banned and on the hang-up list at Kinnetic and they will be arrested for trespass if they come near Britin.  So the only place they can realistically get at me is here or at Babylon.

 

“Kiddo.”  Debs brings me more coffee.  “Are you sure this was a good idea?”

 

“Lifting them?”  She nods and sits down and I shrug.  “This is the only place they can get to me and I have you to protect me from the big bad wolves…speaking of which.”

 

I see them coming through the door and immediately Grim and Twinkle move to the booth and the diner goes quiet, I look at Debs.

 

“Oh you don’t know about this.  All along Liberty Avenue, wherever they go, they get the silent treatment.”

 

“I see.  Can that end in here because it’s really disturbing?”

 

“Okay.  You heard the man!”  Debs calls out.

 

The sound of chatter fills the diner.

 

“Brian!”  Michael yelps much like Baloo, when I accidently trod on his paw, but without the finesse.  He hurries towards me, but is blocked by Debs who just points to a table by the window.

 

He’s about to argue when Emmy Lou comes in and sweeps into the seat next to Twinkle.  “So my lovely man, what did you want to see me about?”

 

“Catering for the…”

 

“Brian we need to talk!”  Lindsay demands, trying to get passed Debs but she’s blocked at every attempt.

 

“You’re making fools out of yourselves now go and sit down over there and someone will come and serve you.”  Debs orders.   “And if you’re lucky it will be me.”

 

They head sulkily to the table and sit down glowering at us.

 

“So Emmy Lou…”  I begin, only to be interrupted when the diner erupts into cheers as Slick comes in.  She almost jumps 10 feet in the air.

 

“For the love of fuck!”  She growls.  “Quit it!”

 

She slides into the booth and hands over a box to Grim and then Twinkle, who looks at Grim for permission. He smiles indulgently and nods.  Now whilst I couldn’t do it full time it works for them and everyone knows how much they adore each other.

 

“Oh Master look!”  He holds up the watch for Grim to look at.  “May I put it on?”

 

“For today yes, but otherwise it is only for special occasions.”  Grim smiles.  “But you have to read it first.”

 

“Read it?  It says it’s twenty past ten.”  Twinkle obeys frowning.

 

A ripple of laughter goes round the diner.  “No turn it over Twinkle.”  He tells him gently.

 

“Oh!  It says Thank you Twinkle, my brave Star…Slick xx.  Oh thank you Slick, thank you!”

 

He looks again to Grim and he nods and he flings his arms round Slick who hugs him back just as fiercely.

 

“Twinkle, look we match.  Slick you really didn’t…”

 

“Yeah I did so suck it up.”  She interrupts and follows it up with the Slick look.

 

Twinkle is bouncing in the seat and holding his arm out trying really hard not to be impatient.

 

“For the love of God put it on him before he explodes!”  Debs teases.

 

“Mother we would like some service!”

 

“And I would like a son who’s not a jealous, interfering pretentious dick so we’ll both be waiting, won’t we?!”

 

The door goes again and this time it’s Justin with B&B, Daphne and Hunter.

 

“Office for those two.  I’ll get their food.”  Kiki takes them off him and I didn’t even get a chance to say hello.

 

“Will you settle for a kiss from me?”  Justin asks noticing my pout.

 

“I suppose so.”  I faux sniffle and then we lock lips until Emmy Lou clears his throat.

 

“Again, what did you want to see me about?”

 

“Dinner in the loft, I’d like you to cater it.”

 

“Ooh when for?  How many?”  He pulls out his pad and looks expectantly at me.

 

I begin to count off on my fingers.   “Say up to 20 and you need to get servers as you are going to be a guest and on Friday.”

 

“Alrighty, so what’s this in honour of?”

 

“We’ve finally finished redecorating after the renovations on it so that we have a base in town.”

 

“I thought you had a base in Slick’s?”  Debs sits down perplexed.

 

“He did.  But what with the trial and everything, it is going to be bad enough with me going in and out without them harassing Justin so…”

 

“I’ve moved into his old apartment.”  Daphne grins before standing up and shouting.  “And if I get any unexpected visitors because of you I shall kick your asses!”

 

“Why should we care where you live?!”  Michael shouts back.  “You’re the one living with Justin so whoever he brings in is your problem!”

 

“Just remember what I said!”  Daphne shouts back before sitting back down.

 

“I’ve moved permanently to Britin…”

 

“You’ve done what?!”  Debs bellows causing our ears to ring before lowering her voice an octave.  “When the hell did you move there and why the hell are we having a party in the loft instead of…”

 

“Grams!”  Hunter admonishes her fondly.  “Big ears are flapping!”

 

We turn to see that they have moved up a table.  “Let’s take this into the off…”

 

“No, they’ll find out soon enough.”  I stand up and head to their table. They look up expectantly.

 

“Because of your jealously and spite you put Slick in danger.  But the one good thing that has come out of this is that Justin has agreed to move to Britin permanently. So thank you for making me happier than I ever thought possible.”

 

The expressions on their faces are priceless.

 

I head to the office to collect B&B and then kiss Justin goodbye.

 

“Now I have to go to work.  Emmy Lou and Justin don’t go mad.  But if you feel the need to put our ice cream in the freezer then do so.”

 

As I walk past their table, they are still sitting there stunned.

 

DEBS

 

“Wait you have an ice cream?”  I tease a blushing Justin.

 

“Most people get matching tattoos or something but not the king and his prince. They get ice cream.”  Ems grins.  “Now come-come, let us talk menus.”

 

“And puppies.”  Daph adds getting a glare from Justin before he grins happily.

 

“And the log cabin, mustn’t forget that.”  Hunter adds.

 

“Log cabin?”  I query.

 

“Can you please all just stop?  Or you’re uninvited!”  Justin warns.

 

“Zipping-zipping!  And serving!”  I cackle and head to the gruesome twosome.

 

MICHAEL

 

“What do you want?”  Mother sighs.

 

“What did he mean put Slick in danger?”  I ask.

 

“Let me clarify, what do you want to eat or drink?”  I stand poised with pencil and pad.

 

“I want an answer to my question!”  I snap.

 

“Well you’ll have to speak to your lawyer about that.”  Carl tells me.

 

“Go to the back booth honey, I’ll be right there.”   She smiles at him and I try not to barf.

 

“Order or leave.”  She taps her pencil impatiently.

 

“Fine.  Two bacon and egg sandwiches on brown for me and granary for Lindsay with two coffees.  Now what did he mean about Slick?”  I huff, crossly.

 

“I don’t know. Either ask him or as Carl said your lawyer.”  She heads back to the booth and is wreathed in smiles.

 

“I have had enough of this!”  Lindsay snaps and strides to the back booth.

 

LINDSAY

 

“So you’ve managed to worm your way into Britin, have you?”

 

Justin looks up at me coldly.  “No I asked and he said yes. I had virtually moved in a few weeks back but now it’s official.”

 

“You little ingrate!”  I scoff.  “This won’t last! Brian will come to his senses.”

 

“And he still won’t want you… either of you.”  He responds without breaking eye contact.

 

I glare at Twinkle when he laughs.  “Oh shut up you pathetic little…!”

 

“You do not speak about my Twinkle that way!”  Grim booms, causing me to step back.  “He’s got more courage in his little finger than you have in your entire body, both of you…”

 

“Your food is ready and it’s to go!”  Debs hands me the bag.  “I said it’s to go!”

 

“Come on Lindsay; we know when we’re not wanted.”  Michael glares at the table.

 

“If only that were true!”  Hunter snickers.

 

“Oh fuck off Hunter!”  Michael snaps.

 

“Oooh burn!”  Daphne drawls sarcastically.

 

MICHAEL’S APARTMENT

 

LINDSAY

 

Having finished our sandwiches, I’m pacing waiting for our lawyer to return my call.

 

“Did you see how smug that Daphne bitch was?”  I snark.

 

“And Hunter, he was being…”

 

My phone ringing halted his tirade.  “Finally it’s Hughes.”  I put it on speaker. “Mr Hughes thank you for returning our call.  We’d like to know what is going on.  We know our trial is postponed but you’ve not given us a reason why and now people are casting aspersions on…”

 

“I’ve been spending the last few days making sure you aren’t charged with accessory to attempting kidnapping…”

 

“Kidnapping?”  Michael squeaks.

 

“Yes, it seems that Craig Taylor and his accomplice Ethan Gold thought it would be a good idea to try and kidnap Slick Phoenix in order to get her to drop the charges…”

 

“But we had no idea that…”

 

“And that’s what I have finally successfully argued that you two being jealous and stupid didn’t make you accessories.  So your trials are set for two weeks’ time.  Now excuse me, I’m due in court in 20 minutes and I have to get across town.  Goodbye.”

 

We stare at each other for a while after he hangs up.

 

“You know this is Taylor’s fault!”  Michael snaps.

 

“Of course it’s Taylor’s fault, which is why he’s facing trial and we’re not!”

 

“Not him, Justin!  This is Justin Taylor’s fault!”

 

I look at him in bewilderment. “How?”

 

“If he hadn’t come along, none of this would’ve happened!”

 

“That’s true up to a certain point…”  I begin carefully.  “But what about everything else?”

 

He waves his hand.  “That’s different. What we did had a purpose.  He’s just after his money and we’re not going to let him get it.  And without the restraining orders to stop us, we are going to end this once and for all.”

 

“And how do we do that?”  I ask guardedly.

 

“First we let Brian know what he’s said about them doing it raw…as if!”

 

DAPHNE’S APARTMENT – WEDNESDAY EVENING

 

DAPHNE

 

I love it here!  When Justin told me about him moving into Britin, I was gobsmacked, pleased and jealous. But this place is just right for me.

 

I’ve only been here since Monday evening and already I feel like I’m home.

 

“So we’re definitely going to the dinner on Friday?”  Hunter pokes his head out of the kitchen.

 

“Yeah!  I’ve heard nothing but good about it, all that man…mmmph!”

 

“Just making sure you were still into me and not the legend.”  He smirks having let me breathe.

 

“Definitely.  Still going home tonight?”  He brushes the hair out of my eyes and nods.

 

“What’s two more nights?”  He asks and then takes a breath.  “Are you absolutely sure you…”

 

“Absolutely.  I just couldn’t you know with your dad…”

 

“Me neither. It was horrific coming in and finding them almost at it on the sofa!”  We chuckle at the memory.

 

“But he’s happier, you can tell.”

 

“After Michael, Beelzebub would be a good choice…and without lube!”

 

“Hunter!  Thanks for taking care of my nightmare for me!”

 

SLICK’S APARTMENT

 

BEDROOM – FRIDAY MORNING

 

LINDON

 

For the first time in a week she’s slept without waking up during the night.  She looks so peaceful although I do miss her being in my arms all night.  I still can’t believe what happened.  If I ever get my hands on those two, I will fucking give them such a smack!

 

I reach for my phone.  “Lindon speaking.  Oh hey Lucy, what’s up?  You what?!  I don’t understand, how did this…”

 

Slick shifts back into my side and reaches out her hand so I give her the phone.  “So who made the first move?  Okay.  Uh huh.  Want him back?  Sure.”

 

She hangs up the phone and settles back onto my chest.  “Remind me I owe Debs $20.”

 

“Um okay then.  By the way how did…?”

 

“Debs said it was the way Lucy looked at her.”  She drops her arm across my waist.  “Wake me in an hour please?”

 

“Sure.”  I kiss the top of her head and close my eyes.

 

DINER – LUNCHTIME

 

BRANDON

 

I look at Kinney in surprise.  “Are you serious?”  He nods.  “Of all the ways I thought I would end up in the infamous loft, I didn’t think this would be it.”

 

“I can always take back our invitation.”  Justin warns me.

 

“Okay message received.”  I grin.  “See you tonight, shall I bring a bottle?”

 

“Champagne please!”  Emmy interrupts.  “Pink specifically.  Now excuse me boys, have to double check and triple check…and this means you two as hosts have to come with!”

 

He goes behind them to usher them out shaking his head in despair.

 

“Hey Brandon.  You going to the party at The Loft tonight?”  A vaguely familiar guy asks.

 

“Yeah looking forward to it.  What about you?”

 

“No but I wish I could be there.  Tell us about it when you surface!”

 

I grab my sandwich and leave putting in a reminder to grab some champagne later.

 

MICHAEL

 

“Did you hear that?  There’s a party at the loft tonight and Brandon is going?”

 

“Isn’t that a shame?  Poor widdle Justin’s hopes and dreams of being Brian’s one and only are going to be dashed.”  Lindsay giggles.

 

I take a huge breath of relief. I knew it would only be a matter of time before Brian reverted to the man he is supposed to be.

 

“I told you and him that we know Brian better than he knows himself.  Once a slut, always a slut.”

 

TWINKLE

 

I AM SO ANGRY!  

 

“Debs please can I have two chocolate and strawberry milkshakes, extra large?”

 

“Sure honey.”

 

She hands me the glasses and they are nice and cold. I walk over to them.

 

“You don’t know anything about anyone, not even yourselves!  Because if you did you would know what truly horrible people you are and would try and change!  Perhaps these will help!”

 

I dump the milkshakes over both their heads before they noticed they were in my hands.

 

“What the fuck is wrong with you?!” Michael yells. He looks funny with milkshake running down his face.

 

“I’m helping you to change, starting with your clothes!”  I yell back.

 

“You little prick!  I’m going to make you pay…”  Lindsay splutters.

 

“Whatever bitch and if I were you I’d get going before pictures are taken!”

 

“Too late!”  Kiki calls out as I walk away from them and head to the counter.

 

I’m trying not to laugh at the trail of milkshake they leave in their wake but it’s too difficult.

 

Once I’ve composed myself, I bite my lip.

 

“I have to tell Master don’t I?”  I ask Debs quietly.

 

“No honey. This is Liberty Avenue; good news travels fast.  But, bad news when it comes to those two travels quicker!  So proud of you!”

 

MEL & JENNY’S HOUSE

 

LUCY

 

I wish she would say something.  “It was a very nice kiss but…”

 

“You were drunk, are not into girls and would prefer to be friends?”  Mel shrugs.

 

“Oh.  Um no but I would like to be friends if we still could be?”

 

“What are you saying no to?”  She bites her lip.

 

“The drunk part.”  I smile.  “I wasn’t drunk but curious and I hope you don’t mind me using you as a test subject.”

 

“Not at all.  But if I could give you a piece of advice, cut back on the tongue.”

 

“Oh fuck you!”  I snicker.

 

“Nope you’re not going to do that either!”

 

THE LOFT – EARLY EVENING

 

EMMY LOU

 

I can’t believe what they have done to the place.  The loft is gorgeous! It’s lost the austere nature of it before when it quite frankly was a fuck pad.   I just love the kitchen and the dining area.  I was supposed to be the guest but not for this; it needs to be perfect.

 

Almost everyone is here, we’re just waiting for Brandon.

 

“Emmy Lou what are you doing?”  Brian asks

 

“Pouring the champers of course.  Pink or white?”  I ask.

 

“White of course, I don’t do pink.  Although pink for Justin.”

 

The door buzzes and Justin almost breaks his neck to get there.  “Who is it?”

 

“Brandon.”

 

“Come on up!”

 

MICHAEL

 

We just about manage to grab the door before it shuts.   Smiling at each other, we wait until the lift comes down before taking it up to the top floor.

 

We can hear the low throb of music.

 

“Sounds like quite a party!”  Lindsay giggles and then takes out a key.

 

I frown at her.  “Where did you get that?”

 

“I’ve always had it.”   She replies casually.

 

“When did you last use it?”  I ask somewhat aggrieved.

 

“A couple of years back.  Why?”

 

“No reason.  How do you want to do this? Just enter and then what?”

 

“Take a picture of course to show Justin as he won’t just take our words for it.”

 

She tries her key and I try to hide my smile when it doesn’t work.

 

“At the risk of sounding obvious, why don’t we just try the door?”  I suggest.

 

We slide the door open as quietly as we can and enter.  There are about five men with their backs to us but they are too engrossed in whatever is happening in front of them to notice us.

 

“Go on you can do it!  Just push back Brandon, push back!”  Brian whoops.

 

We grin at each other.

 

“Lindsay?  Michael?  What the hell are you doing here?”  Mel’s voice startles us.

 

“For fuck sake!”  Mother snarls.  “Get out! Get the fuck out!”

 

“Wait Debs!  How did you know we would be here?”  Justin demands furiously.

 

Neither of us say anything but Twinkle clears his throat.

 

“They overheard Brandon telling that guy who he fucked at Studs’n’Suds that…”

 

“Oh that’s who he was.  Only saw his face from the side, total bottom.”  Brandon chuckles

 

“Brandon!  You were saying Twinkle.”  Justin shakes his head at him.

 

“The guy asked him if he was coming tonight and he said yes and then he said horrible things about Brian and I got mad and I did what I did.”

 

“Horrible things? What horrible things?”  Jennifer asks.  “And what did you do?”

 

“He said that…”  He looks at Grim.

 

“Tell them Twinkle.  It’s not your fault what he said.”

 

“Once a slut always a slut.  And I poured milkshakes over their heads”

 

“You called my dad a slut?!”  Gus yells at me.

 

“Sonny Boy go back downstairs.”

 

Gus stands there glaring at us.

 

“Please Sonny Boy go back downstairs.”

 

Casting a filthy look in our direction he stomps downstairs.

 

“Downstairs?”  Lindsay echoes.  “What do you mean downstairs?  What’s happened to this place?”

 

I look around, the kitchen has been remodelled and as well as a bigger breakfast bar there’s sofas in the corner.  Where the bedroom used to be is an office area.  In front of the windows is a long table, which they had been eating off and in front of that is are sofas and his Mies van der Rohe table, pushed to one side and in front of that is a giant game of Twister!

 

“This is where you leave.”  Carl tells us approaching with Grim.

 

“Wait!  There is something that I need to tell you Brian.  Something that he told us that is clearly a lie…”

 

“Leave now!”  Justin shouts.

 

“What’s the matter Justin?  Afraid of what I’m going to say?”  I goad him.

 

“Justin, unlike you, has never lied to me or about me!”  Brian declares.

 

“I’d hold that thought if I were you Brian.”  Lindsay snickers.

 

“He told us that you two are doing it raw.”  I announce.

 

The room goes quiet.

 

“You told them that?”  Brian lifts Justin’s chin and he nods his head then Brian kisses him!

 

“Brian?  Brian?!  This isn’t true… tell them it isn’t true!”  I shout at him.

 

“Again, this is where you leave.”  Grim pulls the door open and Carl shoves us out.

 

“Wait Carl!  Grim!”   Jennifer calls out and the door swings open again.

 

Five minutes later we are outside the loft with stinging cheeks, where Jennifer had slapped us both.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review.  With constructiveness and kindness.  Thanks