- Text Size +

CHAPTER 55: DEVIL MAKES WORK FOR IDLE HANDS…BOTH GOOD AND BAD

 

LINDSAY

 

I’m heading back to the apartment in shock.  Nothing after all of that, I have fucking nothing!  As I pass the diner, the unmistakable cackle of Debs rings out through the closing door.

 

I don’t believe it!  Gus, Jenny, Brian and Justin are sitting in the back booth.  Debs and Kiki are admiring the massive bunches of yellow roses they’re holding and the kids are talking and look happy.

 

“Excuse me.”  I’m startled out of my watching and move to the side to let the person pass.

 

At the door ringing, Debs looks up and upon seeing me, approaches.  I smile only to be horrified when she pulls the blind down to cover most of the window.

 

I storm back to the apartment determined to fix Brian and Justin once and for all.  Fine, I’m never going to have him but that doesn’t mean he fucking should!

 

KINNETIC – THURSDAY LUNCH TIME

 

BRIAN’S OFFICE

 

BRIAN

 

I look at Ted and he looks really sorry.  I can’t blame him. Well actually the old me would’ve said tough shit you’re going but this me can’t.

 

“Fine.  But do me a pack with everything and you do the next trip.”

 

He looks so relieved, I think he might cry.

 

“Thanks Bri.  We appreciate it.”  He scurries out of the office on the phone, no doubt, to Blake.

 

Now all I have to do is call Justin and explain why we can’t do the 3rd dinner on Friday.

 

“Hey.  How’s the painting going?  Oh okay.  Look, have a slight problem with dinner on Friday.  It’s Blake and Ted’s anniversary and we have a new pitch for a client in California and he really…yeah, I told him that he owes me!”  I laugh at his mock pouting.  “Not until tomorrow lunchtime.  Um, okay I’d love you to pick me up.  Yeah about six.  See you then.”

 

I go back to working on what I was working on only to be interrupted by a scritch-scratch followed by determined yipping that can only mean one thing… time for a walk.

 

“Alright I’m coming!”  I yell.

 

Seriously I am controlled by a blonde bombshell and two Ken Kai Haru puppies.  I’m Brian Fucking Kinney for God sake…and I love it!

 

DINER

 

BRIAN

 

 

“Aha just the man I was about to phone!”  Emmy grins at me.  “Now as you know Grim and Twinkle are taking precedence over your gorgeous selves because they want simple, but I have not forgotten you.  I was just wondering if the boys are going to feature in the wedding in any capacity.”

 

 

 

“What as ring bearers and shit like that?  Personally, I don’t want that but I’ll speak to Justin see what he says.”

 

 

 

“Okay.”  He nods thoughtfully.  “Now we have a best women problem…”

 

 

 

“Why?  What’s happened?”  I go to check my phone.  “Nobody said…”

 

 

 

“Nothing has happened to them physically.  The problem is she, as in her Slickness, really doesn’t want to wear that peach top and Daph really does.  But I have come up with a compromise.”  

 

 

 

He pulls out his iPad and shows me a picture of a beautiful chunky mesh collar in rose gold that lies flat against the neck.

 

 

 

“So this is kind of peach, which gets Daph onboard and gets Slick happy with just wearing the waist coat under the jacket.  Now all I need to…what are you doing?”

 

 

 

“Calling Justin.  Hey need you to look at something.”  I get Emmy to hold up the iPad and explain the situation.

 

 

 

“And then Daph can wear the top at the reception.”  Emmy suggests.

 

 

 

“That’s a good idea.”  Justin thinks for a minute.  “But we would need matching earrings to go with and a hair clip for Daph.”

 

 

 

“Okay that I can sort. Can I order these now and let the besties know?”

 

 

 

“Yes absolutely.  Now seriously I need to get on with this if I’m going to pick you up on time.”

 

 

 

“Later.”

 

 

 

“Later.”

 

 

 

I turn back to a grinning Emmy and glower.  He pokes out his tongue.  “Now about the dresses for the mothers of the grooms.  How about we have the dress that you got for Daph for Jen and get something in the same colour but different style and darker peach for Debs?”

 

 

 

He looks round the diner.  “Kiki where’s Debs?”

 

 

 

“Did the midnight shift, back tomorrow.”  She replies, putting down our order.

 

 

 

“Emmy Lou...”  I look at my watch and sigh.  “Fuck, I don’t have time for this…”  They both look at me horrified.  “Lunch!  I meant to eat my lunch here!  Need it to go!”

 

 

 

MICHAEL’S APARTMENT

 

 

 

LINDSAY

 

 

 

I’m still smarting from the visit to Mel and the diner snubbing.  Michael didn’t ask about it, and although I didn’t want speak about it anyway, it would’ve been nice if he asked.

 

 

 

“So what did Mel want to speak to you about?”  Michael suddenly asks.

 

 

 

“Well, I didn’t want to upset you.”  I put on a sympathetic expression.  “But they don’t want to see us anymore.”

 

 

 

He looks up from his comic.  “Who doesn’t?”

 

 

 

Inwardly I am screaming who the fuck else do you think I mean?  But I reply calmly.  “Gus and Jenny.  And I think it’s because of Justin.  I saw them last night in the diner…”

 

 

 

“He was with my daughter.  I’m going to speak to Mel about this!”  He grabs his coat and starts to leave.  “What’s their address?  And I think you should come with me.”

 

 

 

Twenty minutes later we’re at Mel’s though she doesn’t seem surprised to see us.  She steps outside the house, closes the door and crosses her arms.

 

 

 

“Yes?”

 

 

 

“Yes?  Yes?  Is that all you have to say to me, to us!  You’ve allowed Justin to poison our kids’ minds against us and…”

 

 

 

“No, that would be your doing.  Remember, Michael you had being a father issues with Jenny before Justin came on the scene.  And Lindsay you really don’t want me to talk about you, do you?  This decision was made by them after you turned up at The Loft and they found out you called Brian a slut.  We said that they should at least think about it and make a firm decision after your release, and they have.”

 

 

 

“So Justin is what to them now?”  I hiss.

 

 

 

“To Gus, he will be his stepfather first and then when he adopts him, he will be his dad and I suppose he will call him papa.  As for Jenny, he will continue to be her Uncle Justin.”

 

 

 

“Adopts?”  Michael looks like he’s going to be sick and I’m too flummoxed to say anything.

 

 

 

“And in the event of something happening to either Ben, myself or Brian, he will become her legal guardian.”

 

 

 

“But I’m her father…”

 

 

 

“Biologically, yes.  Tell me where your first stop was when you were released from prison?”

 

 

 

“Went home to change of course.”

 

 

 

“No your first stop Michael.”

 

 

 

I look at him and he gets that defiant-even-though-I’m-wrong look.  “Michael where did you go?”

 

 

 

“Britin.”  He replies.

 

 

 

I’m about to say something when Mel holds up her hand.  “And you Lindsay, where did you go?”

 

 

 

I feel the heat dousing my face.  “Kinnetic.”  I reply tersely.

 

 

 

“Exactly, you both honed in on Brian and not Gus and Jenny.”  She shakes her head.  “You were lucky they didn’t call the police on you Michael.  And Lindsay as of now you’re also banned from Kinnetic.  Now leave! I have things to do.”

 

 

 

She glares at us but we remain where we are.  “Fine, police escort it is.”

 

 

 

“We’re going!” I snap.  “Come on Michael.  We have things to do too!”

 

 

 

OUTSIDE KINNETIC

 

 

 

BRIAN

 

 

 

Something is definitely going on.  Cynthia keeps smiling at me.

 

 

 

And then I hear it.  The low growl and rattle that can only be Oliver.   I gape at how great he looks. He certainly didn’t look like that a week ago!

 

 

 

“What the fuck?!”  I demand as Justin gets out of the car dressed as a chauffeur.

 

 

 

“Your carriage awaits sir.”  He smiles at me and opens the back door.

 

 

 

“What the hell are you up to?”  I chuckle as I approach the car and pull him in for a kiss.

 

 

 

“No taking advantage of the staff sir!”  He wiggles out of my grasp.

 

 

 

The next voice I hear is Emmy.  “Right where are they?  Where are my fluffballs?”

 

 

 

“Here.”  Justin wrests their leashes out of my hands.  “Thanks Emmy.”

 

 

 

“Someone want to tell me what’s happening?  I’ve got a business trip in…”

 

 

 

“Maryland.  Ted if you please?”  Justin grins and takes the travel pack from him.  “Now kind sir, if you would take your seat then we can get going.”

 

 

 

“So no anniversary tomorrow?”  I call out to Ted and he shakes his head.  “You are so fired!”

 

 

 

“Yeah.  See you Monday Bri!”

 

 

 

Justin shuts the door firmly and gets in the front and starts the engine.  I settle back and read the travel pack and The Inn at Perry by Belmond looks great.

 

 

 

“Not that I’m complaining.”  I lean forward to take the cap off his head.  “But why not go to the cabin?”

 

 

 

He squirms slightly under my touch.  “Because, I wanted to give Oliver a good run and I’ve always wanted to go to the home of crab cakes.”

 

 

 

“So how did you get your minions to do your bidding?”  I whisper in his ear, causing more squirming.

 

 

 

“Stop that.”  He orders sternly.  “And in answer to your question, I merely asked how happy they would want you on Monday.”

 

 

 

“Was I that bad this week?”  I mumble licking his ear.

 

 

 

“An-and last.  Brian!”  He attempts to push my head away.

 

 

 

I reach down to his shirt and pop the first button.

 

 

 

“Fuck this!”  He grouses and I’m surprised when he pulls into a rest stop and gets out and starts pacing, muttering to himself.

 

 

 

I’m about to get out when the door is wrenched open and he crawls in my lap.  “Fuck the deposit!”  He moans, before covering my mouth with his and demanding entrance.

 

 

 

As our tongues duel he starts to pull at my tie and shirt.  “Can’t wait!”  He manages to growl out before attacking my neck.

 

 

 

“I noticed.”  I pull on his jacket.

 

 

 

“Leave…”  He starts to say before sucking on my collarbone.

 

 

 

“You want to fuck with the jacket on?  An interesting kink.”

 

 

 

“No lever by the side near the door, lowers the seat.”  He hops out of the car, kicks off his shoes and takes off his trousers.  He’s going commando…yes!

 

 

 

Within minutes he’s got my pants down by my ankles and his mouth wrapped round my cock and that seems to calm him down a bit; me, not so much.

 

 

 

“Jus…Justin!”  I groan, as he flicks my slit slowly.  He lets my cock go with a slurp and slides up for a kiss and before I know it, he’s sliding down my shaft.  Then he clenches and I hiss at the warmth and feeling.

 

 

 

“To…too cold for the roof to be down.”  He mutters clenching again.  “Th…this working for you?”

 

 

 

I tilt my hips and he gasps.  “That working for you?”

 

 

 

He just nods and soon all that can be heard in the car is our breathing.  I reach down to move my shirt out of the way and start to jack his cock. He claims my mouth again and finally groans out his release.  Seconds later I follow him.

 

 

 

We slump against the seats getting our breath back.  “Bag.”  He mumbles against my neck.

 

 

 

“Huh?”  I stroke his sweaty hair.

 

 

 

“Packed a clean-up bag, just in case.”  He laughs softly, reaching for it.  We do as best a clean-up that we can and after a half hour nap, make our way to the hotel.

 

 

 

MICHAEL’S APARTMENT

 

 

 

LINDSAY

 

 

 

We’re both pissed off but we have everything we need to pay Justin back for what he’s done.

 

 

 

“Right so, I will start calling the caterers and find out when the wedding is. I’ll say that I’m from Pittsburgh Out covering it and I’ve lost my notes or something.  Then with regards to the show, you need to call Sidney’s office about week before it starts saying you received a note objecting to his participation in the show and then I’ll call the gallery and say that he’s received a note saying they are going to protest the show if he doesn’t withdraw.”

 

 

 

Michael is grinning and nodding.  “So do we buy the phones now or nearer the time?”

 

 

 

I pull them out of the bag.  “Remember when this starts to keep it with you at all times.  And once it’s over, we get rid of them and nobody can trace it back to us.”

 

 

 

JENNIFER’S CONDO

 

 

 

JENNIFER

 

 

 

I’ve just come back from Debs and am feeling pretty happy.  We’ve almost agreed on the dresses for the wedding.  We’re now trying to persuade a nervous Debs to ask Carl to be her date.  As if he’d refuse.

 

 

 

Just as I’m about to enter my house, I hear my name being called.  I turn and stare at the young woman coming towards me and she looks vaguely familiar.

 

 

 

She smiles.  “Jennifer, its Claire.  Claire Griffin, Miller and…”

 

 

 

“Sarah’s daughter.  Goodness me!  How are you?”

 

 

 

“Fine thanks and yourself?”

 

 

 

“Much better.  Much, much better.” I smile at her. I’ve always liked Claire. She was a bit rebellious and even though I know about the trouble she caused her parents, she’s an honourable WASP.

 

 

 

“Would you like to come in for a coffee or something?”

 

 

 

“Oh yes please.”

 

 

 

I lead her to the kitchen and start to make some coffee.  “So what have you been up to and bear in mind I know your parents very well.”  I look knowingly at her.

 

 

 

“Yeah got transferred for the rest of my sentence.”  She smiles sheepishly.  “I heard about Justin though.  How horrible!  I’m so pleased that he’s happy now.” I frown and then replace it with a smile.  “He’s happy, right?”  She questions.

 

 

 

“He is, very much so, but there’s been problems.”  Within no time, I find myself telling her everything that has happened.

 

 

 

She’s looking more and more furious.  “Well that’s not the story I got from Lindsay!”  She hisses.

 

 

 

I stare incredulously at her.  “Lindsay as in Peterson who I’ve just been talking about?!”

 

 

 

“Yes!  She was my cellmate for 2 months and told me something completely different.”

 

 

 

By the time she’s finished, we’re equally pissed off.

 

 

 

“Jennifer leave it with me.  I knew there was something off about the way she was looking at me.”  She drains her coffee and then grins.  “There’s an old adage which they are about to learn the hard way, well actually two.  One, there’s honour amongst thieves and secondly, never and I mean never lie to your cellmate.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively.  Thanks