- Text Size +

CHAPTER 66: POT-STIRRERS OVER POT-STICKERS

 

GRIFFIN/BADER RESIDENCE – MONDAY LATE MORNING

 

MICHAEL’S ROOM

 

MICHAEL

 

Furious!  I am fucking furious!  I knew I shouldn’t have left the truck there!  And on top of that Lindsay is not here to explain exactly what happened!  

 

And I’m also pissed off with Ben because he has refused to tell me who he hired the van from the in the first place.  I was meant to take over the payments from him but what with jail and everything I forgot but he doesn’t believe that.  So he’s said unless I pay him back today what he paid, he’s going to let it lapse and then they will repossess the van and its contents.

 

I hear the door opening and head to the landing and instead of Lindsay, I’m faced with Claire.

 

“So how are you settling in?”  She asks, looking around and then coming upstairs.

 

“Fine, just fine.  What are you doing here?”  I ask sulkily.  “And what are you looking for?”

 

“To hand over the lease. Here you go.”  I take it from her as she passes me.  “And to make sure there have been no additions to the décor.”  She replies coming out of my room.

 

“You didn’t check Lindsay’s room, I notice.”  I snipe.

 

“Why would she need to check my room Michael?  I don’t collect toys or other childish knickknacks.”

 

We’re both startled as we didn’t hear the door open.  “Where have you been?”  I demand.  “Did you know what’s happened to the…I mean today?”

 

“No I don’t but I’m sure you’ll fill me in later.”  She remarks pointedly then turns to Claire and shrugs.  “I would hug you but I’m all sweaty. We went on a long run this morning, Sandrine and I.  And guess what?  She’s organising a dinner for us on Thursday to welcome us to the neighbourhood at her house.  Isn’t that great?!”

 

“That’s a great honour. She doesn’t just invite anyone.  Sandrine is very particular.”  Claire grins at her and I have to stop myself from rolling my eyes.

 

“Look, I have to get to my shift.  See you guys later.”  She jogs down the stairs and is gone.

 

“So do you have any idea what happened?”  I demand.

 

“What happened where?  And good morning to you too.”  She snipes back.

 

“Someone attempted to get in the truck and Ben is being difficult!”

 

“Michael, before you start you need to give me time to have a shower.”  She heads to the bathroom.  “And make sure you pay your part of the rent today as well.”

 

I am about to say something but the door is closed in my face.

 

CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY

 

BEN’S OFFICE

 

BEN

 

“No Michael, you’ve not paid me back and you’ve had since you called me this morning.  What on earth made you think I wasn’t serious about that?  As I said, you pay I say!”

 

I hang up whilst he’s still ranting and grab my jacket and papers because I know him well enough to know that he will just come here and cause a scene.  And then I stop. Why the fuck am I letting him run me out of work? I sit back down and start to work on my emails.

 

KINNETIC

 

TED’S OFFICE

 

TED

 

“Michael?  What on earth are you calling me for?  Because I don’t want to talk to you, goodbye.”

 

I shake my head and go to join Brian and Cynthia at our morning meeting in Brian’s office.  My phone buzzes again. Sighing I let it go to voicemail before blocking his number.

 

“Sorry I’m late but I got held up by…”

 

“Michael by any chance?”  Brian smirks as the mention of his name causes Baloo to growl and look around.  “Good boy Baloo.  Ben called and gave me a heads up.  Seems something almost happened to his precious collectibles.”

 

“Can we not discuss the idiocy of that man? He’s banned from being here; let’s ban him being spoken about here too.”

 

“Agreed.  Oh before we start, what are you guys doing this weekend?  Justin wants to hold a roof warming party.”

 

“A what?”  Cynthia chuckles.

 

“A roof warming party.”  He repeats grinning.  “So you guys coming?”

 

“Why not? Should be fun.”  Cynthia smiles.  “Should we bring anything?”

 

“Uh I’ll check but don’t wear a skirt.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Let’s get on with Kinnetic business, shall we?”  He smirks, knowingly.

 

CARNEGIE MELLON RECEPTION – LATE AFTERNOON

 

RECEPTIONIST

 

“As I said to you before sir, Professor Bruckner is in class and…”

 

“Get him on the phone right now!  I am not leaving until…”

 

“What’s the problem?”  A security guard comes up to us.

 

“This gentleman wishes to see Professor Bruckner and, oh wait, excuse me a moment.”  I reread the email again and then smile.  “Could you repeat your name for me, please?”

 

“Novotny.  Michael Novotny, I’m his partner…”

 

“Clearly you two are not of the same mind…”

 

“I have to speak to him!  Now!”

 

I hold his gaze.  “You are on the banned visitors list.  Please escort him off the premises.”

 

His mouth drops open and whatever he was going to say is stopped by the guard’s hand on his arm.  “This way.  And let’s leave with a lot more dignity than you have displayed so far.”

 

ST BRIDE’S RESIDENCE

 

KITCHEN

 

LINDSAY

 

I closed my eyes and try to ease my headache.  Michael ranted for an hour about how unfair Ben was being.  When I was finally able to get a word in edgewise, I suggested that he go speak to Ben, who is the problem here.  But not before he paid his part of the rent…again.  This added an extra string to his bow of unfairness.  I almost felt sorry for Ben.

 

“So are you both coming on Thursday?”  Sandrine hands me a glass of wine.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Oh I am so glad.  We’ve got special guests coming too.  And the caterer we’ve found, I’ve heard nothing but good things!”

 

“Sandrine, thank you for doing this. It’s so nice to be treated so well for a change.”

 

“Oh you have been treated badly?”  She sits down opposite me and takes my hand.

 

“Just some difficulties with the father of my son and some people who have interfered.  Nothing that won’t soon be resolved.”  I smile tiredly.  “So do I get a hint as to the menu?”

 

“No, it has to be a complete surprise.  Now enough of this Chardonnay, methinks Prosecco is called for!  It is a little too early for champagne!”

 

“Absolutely!”  I giggle.

 

GRIFFIN/BADER RESIDENCE – EARLY EVENING

 

LOUNGE

 

MICHAEL

 

Well that was a long day and full of frustration!  After being unceremoniously removed from the university, I tried to wait him out.  I could see his car but must have taken my eyes off it for one minute because the next minute, it was gone.  It wasn’t at home and he’s not picking up my calls or answering my emails!

 

I hear the door open and I pray it’s not Claire.  Lindsay and I need to set some rules as to her access to here. Yes it’s her sister’s house but for now it’s our home. She can’t just come and go as she pleases!

 

“Oh thank fuck.  I thought it would be Claire.”

 

“No just me the disrespected friend.”

 

Disrespected?  How have I disrespected you?”  I’m astounded.

 

“You don’t think that throwing the keys at my feet was disrespectful?”

 

“No, well yes, but I was frustrated that…”

 

“Michael, you need to say sorry to me so we can move on from this.  I’m supposed to be your comrade in arms, don’t treat me like you would Slick or Emmett. I’m not inferior like them!”

 

Sighing, I nod.  “You’re right, I’m sorry for the way I treated you and of course you’re not like them, neither of us are.  Brian will see, in time, what we have to do is for his own good.  It may hurt for a bit but he will thank us and treat us the way we have always been treated.”

 

“Thank you for the apology.  Let’s direct our negativity towards those who deserve it, not each other.  Why would you think I was Claire?”

 

“Found her oh so precious coin purse in the kitchen.”

 

“Oh I see.  Did you get the truck sorted out?”

 

“No.  Ben still won’t tell me who he hired it from until I pay him back…what?”

 

She frowns and then slowly smiles.  “You still have a joint bank account right?  Well just logon on to that and see if you can see it that way. He can’t do a damn thing about it as it is the joint bank account.”

 

“Lindsay you genius!”  I hug her.  “I’ll do that in the morning though, I have plenty of time now.  I’m so relieved, do you fancy a glass of wine?  They have plenty here.”

 

“Yes but make it white. I’ve been on Prosecco with Sandrine. Oh and I think we definitely need to order take-out.  I can’t wait for Thursday... it’s going to be great!”

 

TEREZ’S RESIDENCE

 

TEREZ

 

I’m surprised by the hammering on the back door.  “Dios mío, voy a ser paciente*!”  I yell.

*Good God, I’m coming be patient

 

I yank the door open while Claire storms in on her phone.  “Sorry but can you get this message to him urgently Daph?  Michael is going to log into the bank account tomorrow for some reason.  Seriously, he needs to hear this today.  Thanks doll.”

 

She kisses me briefly.  “One minute, just one minute.”  She’s pacing and opening wine at the same time.  “Hey sis, how’s Spain?  I know it’s late but I’m so fucked off.  Your wine at home, can I move it?  Seems your tenants have taken your casa is our casa to heart, without checking.  Okay, first thing... thanks.  And is my bro absolutely sure about this?  Give him a big squishy for me!”

 

She puts her phone down and rests her head on the table.  After a few minutes, she stands up.

 

“What’s wrong carino?”

 

Carino?”  She smiles at me tiredly.

 

“Darling.  What is it?”

 

“I went over there because I stupidly left my coin purse, which has the key to this place there.  They were having a rather interesting discussion when I arrived, which I overheard by virtue of the window being open.  So some pre-emptive action was called for.  You should have heard the way Lindsay spoke about Slick and Emmy. She actually had the nerve to call them inferior and he agreed with her.  Oooh I can’t wait for Thursday!”

 

“Carino.  Stop this.  Come, may I make you feel better?”

 

I pull her to me and kiss her scowl away.  “This is a very good start.”  She moans.

 

“And it will only get better.”  I whisper in her ear.

 

BEN & HUNTER’S HOUSE

 

LOUNGE

 

BEN

 

I hang up on Daphne and am absolutely fuming!  I know Michael and after what happened to him today, he wouldn’t have hesitated to exact some monetary revenge on me.

 

I can’t believe I didn’t think to move my money out of the joint account!  But it does make me wonder what he’s been living on that he’s not bothered about our account and then I remember what Slick said about the comic book and call Mel.

 

“Hi Me…uh Lucy.  Um sorry I thought I called, oh you’re answering each other’s phones now, how sweet.  Okay, okay not teasing anymore!  May I speak to Mel please?”

 

The door opening brings in Robin with take-out. I wink at him and follow him to the kitchen.

 

“Hey, can you still see previous transactions on Lindsay’s account?  Great, it’s something that I’ve just heard and I want to check. The money she got from the sale of his comic, what happened to it?  Yeah sure call me back no problem.  Speak soon.”

 

“What was that about?”  Robin hands me a glass of wine and I grab a piece of sushi.

 

I explain what has occurred and he shakes his head.  “It’s obvious. She sold the comic as you said and gave him the money for it, but not for the reasons you think.”

 

“Huh?”  My phone rings and it’s Mel.  “Hey, really okay thanks.”  I cock an eyebrow at him.  “Okay explain because Mel said that the money was transferred to Michael.”

 

“Ah one of the WASPs revenge.  Give them what they want but get them to pay for it.  He must have asked for some money... maybe from the support you told me about.  So she sold his comic and gave him the money from that.  She gets her revenge and he gets what he wants but without knowing the actual cost.”

 

I gape at him, the glass almost to my mouth.  “You’re kidding right?”

 

“Nope.  Ask Jennifer; I’ll bet you $50 that’s what happened.  Do we have a bet sir?”

 

“We have a bet but not for money.”

 

“Oh and what would be the prize?”  He grins.

 

“For the entire weekend, if you’re right you get to top, but if you’re wrong I get to bottom.”

 

I head to the lounge with the wine and wait for the realisation to hit.  “Wait!  What?!”  He shouts.

 

CAR TO DINNER – THURSDAY EVENING

 

BRIAN

 

It has been a busy but very successful last couple of days for both of us.  We retained two clients at a higher rate and Justin has sold three pieces via Sidney and got another commission. This time it’s from New York, so we’ll see the client after his show, which means I get to shop whilst he’s doing that.  Win-win!

 

Slick has been busy too, so we’ve not seen much of her but she’s here with us now occasionally snorting with amusement.

 

“So I take it this is a B&B Squad thing?”  I quirk an eyebrow at her.

 

“Oh yeah.  Game faces boys, game faces!”

 

ST BRIDE RESIDENCE

 

EMMY LOU

 

I love doing intimate dinners like this, especially this dinner!

 

“My darling Emmett Lou is…what?  Ah, I’ve said it wrong, haven’t I?”

 

I grin at her and squeeze her shoulders.  “Well you can pet name me however you want, but generally it’s Emmy Lou, Emmy or Ems.”

 

“Emmy Lou it is.”  She grins back and then sighs.  “The only upside to tomorrow is the 10K run I will drag that creature on.  The food looks exquisite. So you went with the Asian theme?  Oh no is that crispy aromatic duck?”

 

“It is and it has a choice of two sauces, the traditional hoisin and the plum and chilli.”  I lead her into the dining room and wait for her reaction.

 

“How did?  When did…? This is incredible!”

 

I have taken out her formal dining table and brought in a lower one and have decorated the room with silks and cushions with an Asian theme.

 

“What’s with the bowls?”  She asks.

 

“No cutlery.  It’s to be a sensuous eating experience, well for some people.  Ooh I think they’re coming!  Hide me!”

 

She giggles as I rush to the kitchen and then she calls me back out.  “It’s fine you must meet Terez!”

 

I come out and gasp. “There is a whole lot of a whole lot going on there?”  I stare at her, firstly because she’s beautiful and secondly that is a lot of chest on display.

 

“I know this is not your thing but is it enough or should I lower some more?”

 

“Honey if you lower that anymore, it will be down to your navel.”  I look at the sprayed on dress she’s wearing.

 

“They are on their way!”  Sandrine chuckles.

 

LINDSAY

 

I can’t wait to meet the people she’s invited. She said that there was someone from the art world coming who could further my career and someone who is a heroine to her.

 

“Do you think they will have any beer?”  Michael gripes.

 

“Yes Michael they will have beer!”  Claire answers and rolls her eyes at me; I just shake my head.

 

“I’m so glad you’re here too.”  I smile at her. She rang on Tuesday night to say that Sandrine had invited her but didn’t want to impose on what was our night. Michael, for once, was happy for her to come on the proviso that he could leave early.

 

I knock on the door after Claire insists and the laughter dies on my lips in the face of Terez’s chest.

 

“Uh-um…”  I stutter.

 

“Jeez Terez, nice dress you are almost wearing!”  Claire teases her.

 

“Well Michael?  What do you think?”

 

Once more Michael is rooted to the floor, slack jawed but locked on!

 

“Come in, come in!”  Terez coos.

 

She leads us to the lounge where Sandrine’s waiting.  “My darlings, I’m so pleased you are here.  Now my other guests should be here soon. Please help yourselves to drinks and…”

 

“No, no Michael, I will get you something.  Perhaps some beer?”

 

“Th-thank you that would be nice.”

 

I watch as she practically sits on his lap and he does nothing to stop her.  In fact, he seems to bask in her attention.

 

“Could you excuse me a moment?  Terez could you come too?”  Sandrine smiles at me and they head to the dining room.

 

“Sandrine, darling, should I serve the canapés now or should we wait another five minutes?”

 

Claire freezes and then looks at me.  “Was that Emmett?”

 

“I think so.”  I whisper back and look at Michael, who is nodding and smirking.  “This is too good; I’m going to enjoy this evening!”  He chuckles.

 

“Michael, do not do anything to embarrass Emmett!”  Claire hisses.

 

“Oh I won’t but I will offer an honest critique of his offerings.”  He takes a swig of his beer.  “As is my right as the customer.”

 

As loathed as I am to annoy Claire, a chance of revenge against Emmett is too good to miss.

 

“Ah the door!  Emmy Lou please, can you serve the canapés?”

 

“Of course…”

 

EMMY LOU

 

Professional, be professional and don’t look at Slick... above all else do not look at Slick!

 

I pick up a tray.  Taking a breath, I head to the lounge.

 

“Why Emmett, how lovely to see you.”  Lindsay smirks and then Michael clicks his fingers and indicates at the tray.

 

“Oh waiter.  What are these meant to be?”

 

“Prawn and lobster toasts and chicken and asparagus wontons.”  I reply.

 

“Haven’t you missed something, like the word sir?”

 

“Michael!”  Claire hisses.

 

“What?  He’s staff and I’m the guest. I’m merely behaving as such.”  He sneers at her.

 

“Remember that in the diner next time you’re in there!”  She sneers back.

 

“More of my guests are here, their car broke down.  They are just getting refreshed.  The rest shouldn’t be long.  Oh Emmy Lou, what are these again?”

 

Whatever they are, they need a…ouch!”

 

“Oh sorry my semental, did I step on your foot?”  Terez coos, slithering down his side to sit down.

 

“Ah come in, come in.  Everyone, one of my special guests.  My heroine Slick Phoenix.”

 

“Emmy!”  Slick grins.  “So this is why you couldn’t be my date?”

 

“Wait, you know each other?”  Sandrine looks between us.

 

“Yeah, I’ve known him for years.”  Slicks smiles and then sniffs.  “Prawn and lobster toasts?”

 

“And chicken and asparagus wontons.”  I keep my eyes glued to the floor.

 

“Ah gentlemen in here!”  Sandrine calls out.  “This is, artiste du jour Justin Taylor and his fiancé Brian Kinney.”

 

I take a quick look at Michael and he’s trying to squirm out of the vice like thigh grip Terez has him in.  Lindsay looks like a rabbit in headlights.

 

“Emmy.”  Justin smiles and kisses my cheek.  “Is this a foretaste of what we can expect in New York?”

 

“New York?”  Sandrine queries.  “Are you doing his show in New York?  Oh how splendid!  Now Lindsay, this is the artiste I was telling you about who may be able to help you get your work out there.  I didn’t want to tell you in advance just in case he couldn’t come after you admired his work so.”

 

“We’ve already met.”  Justin smiles sweetly.  “How are you Lindsay?  I would be delighted to help get you established in any way I can.”

 

“And this is Michael…”

 

“Sandrine, Brian and I know Lindsay and Michael as…”

 

“Oh in that case, then let us dispense with all formalities and Emmy Lou can join us!”

 

The looks on their faces are a mixture of horror and annoyance but ever the WASP Lindsay says nothing.  Terez and her chest are hovering so close to Michael, that there is a danger that if he opens his mouth she’ll either kiss him or bury his head in her it.

 

“Michael, aren’t you going to introduce us to your new, uh I’m going to go with girlfriend?  Does Debs know of your switch in teams?”  Brian drawls.

 

“Dios mio!”  She breathes.  “Now you are a semental*!  Hermosa hombre**!  But I see the fire in the eyes of the prom…sorry fiancé. I forget myself with my language but know my boundaries.  Terez, my name is Terez.”

*stallion **beautiful man

 

She holds up her hand for them to kiss, which they duly do.  “Nice to meet you Brian and Justin.  And, of course, Slick!  When Sandrine told me what you did for her nephew, I had to meet you.  Oh by the way, Slick that is Lindsay and the gorgeous lady beside her is Claire.”

 

Slick smirks.  “Yeah we know each other too.  So this is where you guys ended up.  Small world.”

 

DINING ROOM

 

SANDRINE

 

“Come in, come in!”  I gesture.  “Now, let us sit. I think my heroine next to me here.  Brian, can you be the man of the house and sit at the head of the table with Justin to your right?  Lindsay next to him so you can discuss how he can help you and then opposite you Michael and Terez and ah, the rest of my guests are here.  Excuse me.”

 

Mess with my Twinkle, will you?!  Oh I think not!

 

I take a deep breath then bring my guests in and wait.

 

“Catherine!  France!  What the hell?!”  Claire shrieks and dashes to hug her sister and brother in law.  “But…I spoke…you never…why are you here?!”

 

“We spoke to Sandrine a couple of days ago and when she told us that she was having a dinner to which Justin Taylor was invited. Well who am I to deny the pleadings of my husband...”

 

Claire’s face is a mass of confusion and surprise, just as I needed it to be.

 

“And Slick, I believe you know this gentleman too?”

 

She looks up and her jaw drops.  “Linden what the fu…hell!   Ooh you are in so much trouble!”

 

“Thanks Sandrine.  No really thank you.”  He sits down next to her and gives her a kiss and she swats the back of his head.

 

“Catherine and France, you are to my left. Now we are ready.  Oh my manners. Lindsay, Michael this is Catherine Griffin and France Bader…he’s an art critic and a graphic artist. Perhaps you could show him some of your doodlings Lindsay and he can help too?”

 

“France Bader?”  Lindsay echoes.  “It’s a pleasure to meet you.  I…”

 

“Graphic artist?  As in Shrike, you’re that France Bader?”  Michael babbles excitedly.

 

“Molly would give her right, no left she’s right handed, to be here.”  Justin grins and Brian nods.

 

“Molly?”  France queries.

 

“Justin’s little sister.”  Michael sneers.  “As I was…”

 

“Burro?  What is this tone?  You don’t like little sisters?”  Terez frowns at him.  “Claire is his and Catherine’s little sister, you no like her?”

 

“Emmy Lou!  Do you need a hand?”  Sandrine calls out.

 

KITCHEN

 

EMMY LOU

 

I’m doubled up on the floor with a towel in my mouth to stifle the laughter.  Doodlings.  Girlfriend.  And the noise of the dress every time she moves.  I take a deep breath and stand up.  “I could do with a little help!”  I call back.

 

Justin and Slick come in and none of us can look at each other.  “What we n-need to do is plate up the potstickers and…Justin stop it!”  I chastise him as his shoulders start to shake.

 

“Do we…seriously doodlings?!”  Justin sputters, finally losing it.  “How is Brian keeping a straight face?”

 

“Thinking of Michael naked is always a sobering thought.”  Slick intones, snickering.

 

“What?”  We both look at her.

 

“Why do you think he mutters BNM sometimes?”

 

“OK, I noticed he did that but what does it mean?”  Justin raises an eyebrow.

 

Butt naked Michael.  And that’s all on him nothing to do with me despite my love of acronyms.”

 

“Let’s just get in there!”  I hiss.

 

BRIAN

 

I am struggling to keep a lid on it.  No matter where Michael moves to Terez moves right along with him.  And speaking purely from a male’s point of view her chest in that dress is impressive.

 

“Oh that smells good.  What is it?”

 

“A mixture of potstickers, stuffed dumplings and bao buns.”  Emmy grins at me.

 

I hate you.  I mouth back.

 

“Brian, it’s after seven. Sure you should be eating those?  Carbs remember?”  Michael smirks.  “We go way back and…”

 

“Then we stopped.”  I interrupt swiftly.  “I have Justin to work this off, so you need not concern yourself.”

 

“Brian!”  Lindsay attempts to chastise but Terez’s coo interrupts.

 

“Ah you are in the thrall of passion, yes?”  Terez grins.  “Tell us how you met?”

 

“I threw up on him.”  Justin grins and Lindsay winces.  “Let me expand a bit.”

 

Watching them grimace through Justin telling how we met and fell in love at first sight is so funny that twice Emmy Lou had to check the second course and Linden had to help.

 

“Will the next course come with cutlery?”  Michael calls, out picking up another napkin and adding it crumpled, to his pile.

 

“That’s what the bowls are for Michael.”  France tells him, indicating the bowls in front of him.  “Or did you think that was a consommé?”  The roll of France’s eyes is a nice touch.

 

“Have you settled in nicely?”  Catherine asks.

 

“Yes Catherine thank you.”  Lindsay replies, smiling at her and trying not to grimace at the creak of Terez’s dress.

 

“Good, so Lindsay, Sandrine said you are an artist too. Have you shown?”  France asks.

 

“No, I don’t think I’m ready for that.”  She demurs.

 

“Really?  A woman of your mature…vint…experience should surely have shown something somewhere?”

 

I think Justin may have bitten through his tongue. If he has, I am going to kill France!

 

“I-I haven’t been afforded the opportunity of some people.”  She simpers, cutting her eyes at Justin.

 

“Ah it is amazing what doors having talent can open.  So I understand Justin that you have a commission piece in New York.”

 

There is a strangled noise from Lindsay.

 

“How did?”  Justin gasps.

 

“Good news travels fast, especially for one so deserving.”  Catherine giggles.  “And I have a favour from a friend.  I hope you don’t mind me asking?”

 

“No not at all.”  Justin nods for her to continue.

 

“France loved the portrait you did and showed it to her and she has asked if you could do one for her…”

 

“And why couldn’t she ask herself?”  Michael rudely interrupts.

 

“Jacinta Fox would like a portrait of herself and her husband.”  France talks as if Michael hasn’t spoken.  “And has given us a picture, which I believe is how you did that fabulous portrait of…”

 

“My mom.”  Slick interrupts softly.

 

“What?  That is your mother?”  France gasps.  “Oh she must be so pleased with it!”

 

“She is.”

 

“Was.”  Michael smirks.  “Sadly, Slick’s mother is no longer with her.  An interesting story to that portrait.  Would you care to share?”

 

“Slick, I heard about your mother.  Such a terrible thing to happen.”  Sandrine interjects.  “Catherine, France, with your permission Slick, I will explain later?”  Slick nods.   “This is not a suitable conversation for the table.”

 

“I concur.”  Lindsay glares at Michael.

 

Emmy and Linden finally finish plating up the second course, wings, aromatic duck, ribs, noodle salad and other concoctions of delight.

 

Justin has continued to stare at him incredulously.  “You’re not serious? Jacinta Fox wants me to do a p-portrait?  Me?”

 

“Yes you.  Here are her details... she’s expecting your call.”

 

“So how is she your heroine?”  Claire asks, ignoring the hand feeding that Terez is doing much to Michael’s embarrassment but it’s better than him feeding himself!

 

“Ah she saved my nephew from an assault and has only just let me thank her.”

 

“I wouldn’t have thought a woman of your class and refinement would have a nephew that would be in the ghetto side of town.”  Michael remarks and Lindsay chuckles quietly.

 

“Down boy.”  Slick chides Linden.

 

“My nephew, Casper Mentz, was not in the ghetto side of town as you so indelicately put it.  He was on Liberty Avenue and got caught up in an unfortunate situation, which Slick saved him from.  Which is again, not a discussion for the dinner table.”

 

Michael’s expression has turned from snotty to incredulous, yes Michael he’s that Casper Mentz!

 

“Justin, tell me about Molly. Why would she like to be here?”  France swiftly changes the subject.

 

“Shrike, well that and Medusa.  She loves them and is trying to write her own comic, with them together, has loads of dialogue and some drawings, but is struggling a bit.”

 

France reaches across to hand him a card.  “Have her call…oh actually how old is she?”

 

“Fifteen.”

 

“Have her mother call me and maybe I can meet with her and look at her work.”

 

This time the strangled noise is from Michael and not because Terez is almost on his lap.

 

The tears spring unbidden to Justin’s eyes.  “S-seriously?  Can I call my mom now?”

 

“Of course, why don’t we FaceTime with her?  Sandrine would that be alright?”

 

“Yes, yes of course.  How exciting!  Let me show you to my office.”

 

As they depart, Michael stares longingly at their retreating backs.  Twenty minutes later, they are back laughing and trying to clear their ears.

 

“She was…”  Justin grins.

 

“We heard!”  Slick laughs.

 

“Emmy, can you bring back Justin’s plate please?”  I ask and the look of love and gratitude is heart-warming, as is the quick kiss of thanks.  Much to the annoyance of the gruesome twosome!

 

For the next twenty minutes, neither of the gruesome twosome make a disparaging remark, but the hatred and jealousy is coming off them in waves.

 

SANDRINE

 

“Shall we retire to the lounge for coffee and maybe a brandy or two?”  I smile round the table.

 

“An excellent idea Sandrine.”  Lindsay sucks up.  “Would you like some help?  Emmy can’t be two places at once.”

 

“Oh thank you Lindsay.  If you could clear the table with Michael and Terez, that would be most kind.  Emmy Lou, now these brandies you have brought?”  I ask linking arms and taking him into the lounge.  “Come-come everyone, Michael, Lindsay and Terez won’t be long.”

 

They follow me into the lounge and take their seats, Claire next to Catherine and France.

 

CLAIRE

 

“Seriously what the fuck?”  I whisper keeping an eye on the dining room.

 

“Justin Taylor, come on!”  France whispers back.  “And secondly, nobody touches my fucking wine!”

 

“Where are you…”

 

“Sssh!  We’ve got this!”  Catherine cuts me off.

 

It seems that while they were clearing the table, Lindsay and Michael may have had a falling out, as his attempts to get her to sit next to him were firmly rebuffed although she hesitates as to where to sit. So she goes and stands by the bar where Brian, Justin and Emmy are discussing brandies with Sandrine.

 

“I had no idea there were so many brandies, even Japanese.  Did you Sandrine?”

 

“Well, yes, which is why I asked Emmy to bring it.”  She smiles sweetly at her.  “Please now you three sit, Emmy and I have made a decision.”

 

Now Lindsay is in a quandary as she’s desperate to sit next to Sandrine in the secondary power seat, so she must pick wisely.  She doesn’t want to sit with Linden and Slick so she leaves that clear, the only other choices are the sofa next to the bar, which some might call the help’s position.  The seat next to Terez or the one small chair between the sofa that I’m sitting on with Catherine and France and the help’s position.  In the end she goes for the small chair next to me.  Big mistake because Emmy shares the sofa with Brian and Justin and Sandrine sits with Slick and Linden.

 

“So we have Suntory XO Deluxe Brandy and Plum Brandy both from Japan.  Of course Courvoisier from France and a sweet little number from Spain courtesy of Catherine and France called Soberano.  Now who would like what?”

 

Choices are made and there is a look of horror from Michael when Terez follows the action of Brian and Justin and decides to share the glass with him, making sure he drinks from her lipstick print.

 

We chat amiably about this and that, before Catherine stretches, stands up and France follows.

 

“Sandrine it has been an excellent evening but what with the travel, we’re tired.  So we’re going home.  Lindsay, please don’t make too much noise when you come in and Michael as much as we love Terez, we would rather you carried on your evening at her place.  So Claire you can sleep in Michael’s room.  Goodnight; it was a pleasure to meet you all.  Are you coming now sis or later with Lindsay?”

 

“But…”  Michael goes to protest.

 

“Now.  Sandrine, everyone goodnight.”  I get up and give kisses goodbye and run to claim the bed before Michael manages to wriggle out of Terez’s grasp.

 

SANDRINE

 

“Now Brian, Justin, you’re not leaving early too, are you?”

 

“No, we’ll go when Emmy’s ready to go.”  Brian tilts his glass.

 

“I’ve got my truck to…”

 

“Which Claire can drive back tomorrow correct?”  I interject with a wink.  “Just leave your keys with me and I’ll drop them over tomorrow morning at half six, when I go to collect Lindsay for our run.  It is a little earlier and longer than normal to work off this delicious food.”

 

I do believe I can actually hear her teeth grinding.

 

“Looks like I’m going home with you guys!”  Emmy trills.

 

“In that case, I should be going too.  Since we will be meeting so early and I have other things to do.  Can you tell Michael when he returns that I will have put the security latch on and to have a pleasant evening.”  Lindsay smiles and almost but not quite storms out.

 

LINDSAY

 

What the fuck was going on?!  How the hell did tonight turn into the Justin Taylor and Slick Phoenix fucking show?!  And six fucking thirty!  Christ!

 

BACK IN THE LOUNGE

 

SANDRINE

 

Once the door is shut rather firmly I might add, we all sip quietly at our brandies none of us making eye contact.  Five minutes later, Michael comes back in and looks around.

 

“Where’s Lindsay?”

 

Terez stands up and sashays towards him.  “She is gone and said to have a pleasant evening.  Which starts now... come my hombre come.”

 

“But I wanted to catch up with Brian. I’ve not spoken to him in a while.”  He objects, looking hopefully at Brian, who is kissing Justin in between sipping brandy.

 

“It is late and besides there’s email and phone.  But for now there is just you, me and my place.  Buenas Noches everyone!”

 

Good night Michael.  You had some interesting things to say.”  I smile at him.

 

“Thanks and Br…”  His sentence is cut off by Terez plastering her entire body up against him, pushing her hand in his hair and kissing him softly.

 

“I want to go home and he wants to go home, so let us go home.”  Taking advantage of his astonishment she swiftly leads him out.

 

I watch as she actually manages to get him into her home. No doubt he will come round soon enough.

 

“Well they’ve gone.  Stage one is complete.”  I giggle and the room erupts.

 

“There’s more?”  Emmy manages to gasp out.

 

“Oh lots more.”  I smile.  “Those two won’t know what fucking hit them!”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively.  Thanks.