- Text Size +

CHAPTER 70: DECISIONS, ANNOUNCEMENTS AND HONESTY

 

SIDNEY

 

As I head up the street back to my gallery, I hear my name being called.  Sighing, I turn round and fix a smile on my face.  “Lindsay.  How are you?”

 

“I’m very well.  It’s excellent news about Justin and the others.”

 

Here it comes.

 

“Yes it is.”

 

Everything seems to be falling in his lap.”  She says, rictus grin in place.  “How fortuitous for him.”

 

“Yes, get bashed at a dance.  Be made homeless and lied to by your father.  Have the former best friends of your fiancé collude with your estranged father to make your life more miserable and you too can get a show in the MoMA!”  I retort.  “Would you like me to arrange for those things to happen to you Lindsay?  I mean I’m sure there are many people on the Avenue who think you more deserving of everything up to MoMA than Justin.  But there’s one very important thing you are lacking, which Justin has in abundance.  And that’s talent.  So no Lindsay, I will not consider you for the Spring/Summer placing or anything other thing artistic ever.  Now stop bothering me.  Or would you like another restraining order?”

 

I stalk back to my car, leaving her gobsmacked in my wake.

 

LINDSAY

 

I swallow down the bile that has risen to my throat and grab my phone.  “Michael, there’s been a change of plan for the show.  How much money can you get hold of immediately?”

 

BRITIN

 

KITCHEN

 

JUSTIN

 

I’m heating up the tempura chicken wings.  They are my new favourite thing, after the fish.

 

“How long till they’re hot enough to eat?”  Brian nuzzles my ear.

 

“About 15 minutes.  Talk position?”

 

“Absolutely.”

 

We head to the lounge arms round each other. B&B are on the rug in front of the fire having been walked when we came in, and settled down.

 

“So MoMA?  How do you feel about that?”  He kisses my ear.

 

“I still can’t believe it!  I need to get a tux and…”

 

“Who is going to be your guest at this fancy-dancy place?”  He whispers in my ear causing a shiver to skitter down my spine.  

 

“Oh I was thinking of asking a tall beautiful redhead with a peachy ass and green eyes.  Would that be okay with you?”

 

“Hmm does he have a name?”  He sucks on my lobe and I groan before gasping out.  “Kinney, Brian Aiden Kinney.”   He lifts the hair from the back on my neck and starts to plant soft kisses.

 

“Seriously, can we f-finish this a-a-and then…”  I squirm.

 

“Spoilsport.  Achievements make me horny…so the placement?”

 

I squirm round to face him.  “I will go in the autumn but it’s three months and…”

 

“If you think I’m sending my husband to New York on his own, you have another think coming.”

 

I gape at him.  “You’ll come with me?”

 

“Of course!  While we’re there for that week, why don’t we look for a base?  It has to have office space with VC facilities so I can…hey what?  Justin…ooof!”

 

I sob into his neck.   “W-w-we go halves?”  I hiccup.

 

“Of course. We’re partners, equal in my opinion.”  He whispers into my ear.  

 

I sniffle and kiss his cheek.  “Mine too.”

 

Before I could say anything else, my stomach reminds me about the wings.  “Go wash your face, I’ll plate up.”

 

I head to the bathroom and cry a bit more because I am so fucking happy. I get back to the lounge only to see an empty sofa.

 

“Brian?”  I turn to head back to the kitchen.

 

“Down here.”

 

I step further into the lounge and find my naked Brian plate on the rug.  He has stripped the wings down and piled the meat on top of four piles of salad, one just above his bush and the other on his belly button, the other two slightly higher but not quite on his chest.  “Bottom two are yours, use chopsticks.”

 

He’s rested his head on two cushions and we eat in silence.  “Dressing.”  I mumble.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Need a dressing, something salty, oh let me see, I wonder what I can get out of this dispenser?”

 

The chopstick pauses en route to his mouth and his eyes smoulder as I reach down and slowly jack his cock until I get a pearl of pre-cum.  I pick up a mix of chicken and salad and swipe across his cock and pop it in my mouth.

 

“Delicious, tempura chicken salad with dressing a la Kinney, just delicious.”  I grin at the incredulous expression on his face.

 

“I can’t believe you just did that.  Can I have your top?”  He holds out his hand and I take it off and watch him wipe the remaining food off his chest with my top.  Before I can voice my indignation, he leaps on me, pushing me on my back and tugging at my pants.  “Horny octopus sex now!”

 

“Okay!  Let me do it!  Stop or you’ll rip them!  Brian, this is not horny; this is rampant!”  I giggle.

 

“Giggling not helping you!”  He growls with a feral smile.  “God, you’re so fucking hot!”

 

Ten minutes later, we scream our release and before falling asleep in his arms I murmur, “We need to replace the rug.”

 

“Uh-huh, scoot back a bit.”  He mumbles and as we spoon tighter, he slides into me again causing me to gasp.  “Much better.  Night Justin.”

 

“Mmm.  Night Brian.”

 

DEB’S HOUSE – WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON

 

KITCHEN

 

MATILDA

 

I pick up and then put down the cup and look across at Debs.  She’s a lovely lady and we’ve been neighbourhood friends for years.

 

“Matilda, what is it?”

 

“Michael.”

 

“Michael?  As in my son Michael?”  She looks surprised when I nod.  “What about him?”

 

“In all the time he’s lived here, he never gave me the time of day. Now I’ve seen him five times since the party and it’s only Wednesday. The last time was this morning.  I had to leave via my back door so I could avoid him.”

 

“Oh for crying out loud!”  She rubs her face, tiredly.  “Matilda I’m so sorry.  I will have a word with him.”

 

“I understand his enthusiasm, really I do, but this is my home.  I don’t have a problem seeing him at the class at the Phoenix…”

 

“Ah that’s the problem, you see.  He’s banned from it, well both of them.  He and Slick do not get on.”

 

“Slick?  She gets on with everyone. He must have done something pretty big to upset her.” She stares incredulously at me and I laugh.  “I’ve known her for a while.  When she first opened Phoenix, she came to me for advice on how to lay out the store. She wanted funk but something that appealed to the comic fan at the same time.”

 

The door knocking startles us both.  “Don’t answer that.”  I whisper.

 

“Matilda…”

 

“Mother, are you in?!”  Michael shouts and we both freeze.

 

“That’s the other thing.  If he doesn’t get me, he tends to sit on your stoop before waiting in his car.”

 

After ten minutes of him alternating between knocking and shouting, she stage hisses.  “Oh for fuck sake!  We’re grown assed women who have earned the damn fucking right to come and go in our own homes!”  She grabs her phone and sends a text.

 

After another ten minutes of lockdown, there’s a knock at the door behind me and I freeze.

 

“We’re going out the back!”  She grins and quietly opens the back door and we’re faced with an unamused looking Hunter.

 

“Was in the diner when you texted Ems and said I’ll deal with it.  Go to the car.”  He orders and shuts the door behind us.

 

HUNTER

 

I head to the door and wrench it open.  “Yes!”  I yell in his face causing him to back up, which is what I had hoped would happen.  As he moves back, I come out and shut the door.

 

“What are you doing here?”  He demands.

 

“Leaving as are you.”

 

“Hunter, let me tell you something... I have never liked you.  Our lives, Ben and mine, would’ve been better if you were not in it.  But now you’re Robin’s problem, not mine. I would wish him good luck but I don’t like him either.  So when Robin realises he can’t face the reality of HIV and fucks off, Ben will realise that I’m the best thing that will ever happen to him and come crawling back to me.  And when he does, the first thing I’m going to demand is that you are gone!”

 

Again you’re leaving.”  I reply and watch him storm to his car and drive off.

 

As I head back to my car, I’m on autopilot as I’m so upset.  “Give me your keys.”  I look up startled to find Robin in front of me.  “I came into the Diner just after you left. So I grabbed a cab and got here amazingly enough to save him from a beat down.”

 

I hand him my keys and go to walk past him.  “Come here.”  He whispers and I collapse, sobbing into his arms.  “I’m not going anywhere.  Nowhere, got it. I’ve just got my family and I’m not letting it go.”

 

After I compose myself, we head to the car and I see grandma and Matilda exchange looks.

 

“I’m okay. He was a bit of a…uh…”

 

“Cunt?” Matilda suggests, much to our astonishment.

 

“Yeah that’s it.”  I nod and accept her handkerchief to clean my face.

 

SLICK’S EMPORIUM

 

OFFICE

 

SLICK

 

“Hey Mel.  What time tonight?  What did you tell them?  Great thanks.”

 

I head towards the Kinney Garage and check the beauties that are his cars.  I chuckle at the sight of Oliver in there and adjust the aircon and open the doors on all of them to air them.  I can’t wait for him, sorry them, to come check on their cars and spot the Lincoln.  My wedding present to them.  When Justin mentioned that he wanted to borrow one to take Brian to the cabin, I couldn’t believe it. I was looking for a buyer but now I can just give it to them because of Danny.

 

As I head out, I spot Hunter making his way up to Daph’s. He doesn’t look up when Idaho calls out to him.  Immediately, I follow making a call.

 

DAPH’S APARTMENT

 

HUNTER

 

Seriously what a fucking shitty thing to say!  I wipe my eyes and stare at the wall.  Daph has called a couple of times but I can’t speak to her right now.

 

“Can I kill him?”  Slick’s voice startles me and as she sits down on the sofa once again I’m crying. She scoots over to take me in her arms.

 

“Slick!  Hunter!  Where are you?”  Ems is shouting.

 

“Lounge!”  She yells back.

 

“What’s happened?”  He demands sitting the other side of me and rubbing my back.  

 

“I don’t know.”  Slick says.  “But anything that has Matty saying cunt.”  I look up at her in surprised.  “Debs called.  Matty doesn’t swear, so what happened?”

 

I relay my conversation with him and Slick rubs her temple.  “Why doesn’t he get that when he insults you it will get back to Ben?!”

 

“Babe!”  Daph yells.  “Robin called me and told me what he said!  Slick, Ems I’ve got this. We'll see you later.”

 

“Sure.  See you later; torte is on the side.”  Ems leads a furious Slick out.  “Out of jail, we need you out of jail!”  He lectures her firmly.

 

BRITIN – EARLY EVENING

 

BRIAN

 

Word got around the Squad. I still can’t believe we have a squad along with the Avenue behind us. But everyone who is here now knows what Michael said.  Although Hunter doesn’t like pity he’s been lapping up the hugs, especially from Terez.  Daph pointed out that this was one night only and her chest would be the only one he’s buried in from tomorrow.

 

Slick clears her throat.   “Okay so you guys want to hear my news?  Mel knows as does Bran and Kyle but the rest of you don’t.”

 

There’s nodding and she smiles smugly.  “There’s going to be an auction on Friday and I’ve rented the GLC and sent the word out.  Michael will be there.”

 

“Not quite sure why that needed…”  Ben interrupts sharply, still smarting from Hunter’s treatment.

 

“Wait for it.”  Mel soothes.

 

“Danny said I should watch my post and I did.  On Monday, I received the collection that Michael had given to him and Danny has given it to me.” She pauses.  “And base line, it’s worth about $200K and….”

 

“What?!”  Mel gasps.

 

“That’s just the comics alone.”  She continues.  “The costumes and other stuff are worth, roughly, $70K.”

 

“Are you fucking kidding me?!”  I explode.  “He had the…”

 

“With me now!”  Justin demands and pulls me out of the room.

 

SLICK

 

I start to pour brandies for those who want them and wait for their return. A few minutes later, the door opens and I hand them both a glass each.

 

“So what’s up that mechanic sleeve of yours?”  Justin sits in Brian’s lap, stroking his hair.

 

“He doesn’t know that Danny’s done this or that he’s going on tour as he would be screaming at Debs right now.  Whatever money we get from his collection is going to be used to get us all to Justin’s show and anything left, I want to split between Hunter and Jenny.  Gus, the reason I haven’t included…”

 

“It’s okay I understand.  Give it to them.”  He smiles at me.

 

The objections weren’t far behind.  “No absolutely not!”  Debs states.  “That’s very generous of you but whatever’s left is yours. End of discussion!”

 

“Slick I, I mean we, can’t let you do that.”  Mel says. Ben just nods as he’s too stunned.

 

“I thought you would say that.  So we’re having a trip on Pernell then.”

 

“Pernell?”  Jennifer repeats.

 

“Her father.”  Carl tells her.  “When did it happen?”

 

“Three weeks ago.  He’s buried, estate settled and whoopee it’s all fucking mine!”

 

“Honey, why didn’t you say something?”  Debs pulls me into her arms and I happily sink in.

 

“He was of no importance until it got to the fucking will.”  I mumble.

 

“How much are we talking about?”  Ted asks gently.

 

“Just under $600K, with his pensions and everything else.  I got my business acumen from him again whoopee!”

 

“Slick are you absolute…okay you’re sure.”  Brian starts to backpedal at my death glare.

 

“First things first, flights!”  Emmy grins.

 

“No.  We’ll do the flights that okay Justin?”  Justin nods and kisses his temple.  “Slick can do everything else.”  Brian and I lock gazes then I nod.

 

GRIFFIN/BADER RESIDENCE – THURSDAY EVENING

 

LOUNGE

 

MICHAEL

 

I can’t wait until tomorrow.  Not only do I get a chance to add to my collection but dad’s payment comes through and we can book our tickets to New York.

 

“Where’s Catherine and France?”

 

“Not sure. Think they said something about going to see Matilda.”  Lindsay replies from the sofa.

 

“I’ve been trying to see her since yesterday.”  I gripe.  “You’d think she’s avoiding me.”

 

“Speaking of avoiding… What did you say to Terez to get her to back off?”  Lindsay smirks.

 

“Nothing.”  I reply.  “After the party, she seemed pissed off and has left me alone since.”

 

“Well that’s a good thing, with you being gay and all, right?”  She looks over the magazine at me.

 

“Absolutely.”  I nod for emphasis though I’m pissed off because I have seen her on the street and she’s ignored me.

 

“So tomorrow we book for New York.” I pause and do some adding up in my head.  “Actually, can we make it on Saturday?  Gives things time to clear and come in.”  She nods.  “Oh it’s going to be excellent.”

 

“Yes, I can’t wait to see Sidney’s face.”  She smirks.

 

GLC HALL – FRIDAY MID-MORNING

 

KYLE

 

I can’t wait for this!  I called Josiah Cambridge and he’s flown in especially.  He has already put a reserve on the comics.

 

I still can’t believe Slick didn’t say anything about her dad dying to anyone, but I’m not surprised.  She’s intensely private.  I have triple checked that she does mean for Bran and I to come too.  She asked if we are in the Squad and I said yes and she replied ‘Well, there’s your answer.’ She can be such a pain but that’s a part of her charm, which I love.

 

“Showtime.  Go open the doors.”  She shoulders me firmly with a grin.

 

I knew there would be a crowd but this is more than I thought we would get… it is heaving.

 

“Everyone!  Everyone, can I have your attention please!”  I yell and the crowd falls silent.  “Please collect your paddles and put them on your seats and then you can peruse the auction items for 45 minutes. After you’ve taken your seats, the auction will begin.”

 

My phone vibrates and I look at the message from Slick. He’s here and skulking.

 

I have to laugh at his idiocy. This is not Phoenix so he’s allowed to be here but he’s going to wish he wasn’t.

 

MICHAEL

 

Once again I am in heaven. I decide I’m going to start with the comics. As I head in that direction, I spot Vomit Boy’s sister helping Matilda around. I can go and see her tomorrow; this is more important!

 

As I look round, I spot the guy who bought my comic from her.  It’s a shame I didn’t see him earlier. It would make it easier if I was nearer him so that I can bid on what he’s bidding on just to mess with him.

 

“Everyone, the 45 minutes is over, please go to your seats quickly.”  Her acclimate, as Lindsay calls those who kowtow to her, orders.

 

As I head to my seat, I make sure to find that guy and keep an eye on him.  I’ve got a budget of $1000 and I fully intend to stick to it. Well as much as I can anyway. I have a cushion of $3000 just in case, but Lindsay doesn’t need to know that.    

 

“Ladies and gentlemen, well mostly gentlemen!  It is my great pleasure to introduce our auctioneer Divina DeVore!”

 

Huh?

 

The room erupts with applause. I’m confused but join in.  I’ve not been in touch with him for a while but I will catch up with him afterwards.

 

For the next three hours, I come so close to adding to my collection with some costumes but I get a couple of comics and a couple of masks.  I know I’m doubling up but it will add to my retirement fund when I sell them.

 

As the room clears, I wait to speak to Divina. It’s not that I’m ashamed of her being my dad but I prefer to project the image of the soldier that mother sold me… and I’m going to enjoy making her pay for lying to me for that too.

 

“Hey.”  I smile at her.

 

“Hi there!”  She smiles back.  “How have you been lately?  Did you buy anything?”

 

“A few pieces.  Lots 57, 101 and 206 although I already have them.  Here’s dockets, paddle, and my card.”

 

DIVINA

 

I take the card for him and check against the list.

 

“How much did you raise for the GLC?”  He asks.

 

“Oh about $400K but then you have to take off commission so just over $300K.”

 

“Why did you do this?”

 

“I wanted rid of the clutter I had in my life before I go on tour.”  I smile at him, even though I want to punch him in his very small balls!

 

“Tour?  How long are you going to be gone?”  I can see his mind working as he thinks that my house is going to be empty.  “Three months but I’ve got to settle in my tenant.”  You could hear his face hitting the floor.

 

“So where did you get these things from?”  He asks.  “This is quality stuff.”

 

Out of the corner of my eye I see Slick and Kyle.  Kyle is filming.  “What did you mean earlier about the GLC?  We only rented the place.  I did this for a new friend who didn’t want this stuff, even though I gave it to them for free.”  I pause.  “You see that was the stuff you gave to me. Like I said, I wanted to get rid of clutter and crap in my life.”

 

“Wh-what d-do you mean?”  He stammers, going pale.

 

I take out a big pair of scissors and cut his card in half.  “What are you doing?!”  He screams.

 

“Cutting your card in half.  Now that the payment has been taken.  As for the person who gets all this lovely money.  Meet this delicious young lady. Come-come.”  I wave at Slick.  “And she was absolutely right getting rid of this was a cleansing and healing experience.”

 

“Hi Michael.”  Slick drawls, her eyes gimlet cold.

 

“You?!  You fucking skank bitch whore!”  He yells.  “Dad!  She’s tricked you!  You need to…owww!”

 

I shake my hand out to ease the pain.  “No you tricked me and I don’t appreciate it.  Sadly, I can’t close the account without you but this will delay you for a bit.  I do hope you have another way of financing yourself… you know after I’ve been to the bank in about 10 minutes.”

 

“You ready?”  Slick asks, I nod and she helps me into my jacket.  “Kyle, we’re on our way, leaving you to it sweets!”

 

“Sure boss.  Bye!”  He shouts back.

 

“You know what? I do believe a visit to Le Mont is called for.”  She smirks.  “You know now I have some serious change to spend.”

 

I link arms with her and ignore him shouting my name.

 

“How do you not hit him?”  I ask.

 

“Because, I wouldn’t stop.”  She replies quietly.  “And I refuse to take after my father.”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively.  Thank you.