- Text Size +

CHAPTER 72: THE ARTISTIC TOUCH, SAYING GOODBYE AND THE TRUTH IS OUT

 

GRIFFIN/BADER RESIDENCE – MONDAY MORNING

 

LINDSAY’S ROOM

 

LINDSAY

 

Fuck I feel like I’m in prison again!

 

Nothing to do with the atmosphere between Catherine, France and us, though I had to do some major repair… and we’ve had more rules applied.  So as well as our own food and drink, they don’t seem want to share the lounge with us.  Which is okay for Michael because he has his own TV and spends most of his time in his room watching his crap. So that means if I want to watch TV I have to get my own set, but that’s not too bad.

 

Fortunately, that little faux pas of his has not affected the work I am doing with Catherine, though Claire is still a mite frosty.  I think I need to take her to lunch to ease her ruffled feathers.

 

No the reason I feel like I’m back in the pokey is because for the last four days if Michael has not been complaining about the new rules, he’s been griping that any time he goes to the diner people keep thanking him.  His incessant whine got to me so much that yesterday I went to pick up Sandrine for our run!

 

And today, I’m going to go uptown and round the art district.  I’m still hurt by what Sidney said last week and am determined to prove him wrong.

 

I shout my goodbyes before he can come down or anything and head off.

 

FRANCE

 

He has got to be kidding?  Nobody can have the level of denseness and it not be medically diagnosed. I’ve not seen him take any medication so I suppose its part of his charming personality.

 

“Michael.  Look.  Casper and I have already got a lot of commitments that…”

 

“I understand that.”  He smiles in what he assumes is a winning fashion. It helps if said smile reaches his eyes.  “What I’m asking is for you to do what Catherine is doing for Lindsay and let me help you.”

 

“In what way?  Actually, can you bear with me?  I think Casper needs to be on the call too as…”

 

“And Matilda.”  He adds, scooting closer to the table.

 

Matilda?  Why?”  I pause, trying to suppress the horror creeping up my throat.

 

“Well she’s helping his sister with her comic and I can give some input as a comic store owner.”

 

“Yes that’s a good idea, which is why Slick has been asked to do it.”

 

“Slick?  What on earth have you asked her for?  She doesn’t even manage her own store…”

 

“Stores.”  I correct.  “And we’ve asked her because she’s worked with Matilda before.  She helped her set up the Uptown store and she used the template from that for Downtown.”

 

“And is going to use it for the other store she’s opening…”  Casper’s voice startles both of us as I hadn’t realised I had actually dialled him.

 

“Other store?”  He echoes.  “What other store?”

 

“You’d have to talk to her about that.  She just mentioned it yesterday.”

 

“Thank you.  I’ll do that.”  He clears his throat.  “So Casper I’m offering my services as…”

 

“Michael, have you studied art?  Been trained in any way?”  Casper interrupts.

 

“No.  But then again neither has his sister.”  He almost sneers.

 

“Of course she has.”  Casper sighs crossly.  “She’s currently studying art.  Have you actually seen anything she’s done?”

 

“He’s shaking his head no.”  I supply, barely suppressing my smirk.

 

“She and Justin have something in common.  They’re artistically talented.  She’s very good; quite advanced for her age.”  Casper goes silent but I can hear him tapping away.  “Look, there is college course that beginners can attend at Pittsburgh High. Yes you may well be the oldest one there but nobody is too old to learn.”

 

He scowls.  “I’ve done enough learning thanks!  What about dialogue?  I can definitely help with that.”  He argues.

 

Now I know Casper and I can just imagine the affronted look on his face.  We let the implication of what he’s just said sink in for a minute, but of course he doesn’t think he’s said anything insulting.

 

“I think that with our experience writing Shrike, we’ve got the dialogue covered.”  Casper grinds out.  “Look I have to go.  France, speak to you later.”

 

“Okay, I’ll get your number off France after we’ve finished talking.”  Michael tells him.

 

I hang up before Casper can respond!

 

HART ISLAND CEMETERY, NEW YORK – LATE MORNING

 

CARL

 

She’s got the marker number and is trembling.  We wait and then walk then she pauses and then takes a breath and starts again.  It’s so hard for her.  I look across at Brian and I know it feels weird but I feel ridiculously proud that she wanted me here for this.

 

“How about I find it and then come and get you?”  Debs asks quietly and she nods almost cutting off my circulation as she tightens her grip.

 

“You can do this.”  Brian whispers.  “We’re here.”  He wraps his arms round her and I stand behind her.

 

“A Cop and Cock sandwich.”  She snickers and Brian smirks, shaking his head.  “Gallows humour gets me through it.”

 

Ten minutes later, Debs comes back and takes her hand.  “Come on honey.”

 

We follow them quietly and she just stares at it.

 

“So this is it?  This is where you ended up?  Despite everything, I can’t totally hate you because for a while you were my hero but then you weren’t.  Funnily enough, I would hate for you to stay in hell. I hope there’s an exchange programme so you can see how happy mom is, because I feel she is.”  She pulls out a flask and takes a couple of swigs before pouring the rest over his marker.  “So goodbye Mr Harriman.  Enjoy the last drink on me; it was your favourite.”

 

I put my arm round her and kiss her cheek.  “Come on let’s get you home.”

 

As we turn away Brian pauses.  “My name is Brian Kinney, Mr Harriman.  I don’t know you but you made my best friend miserable and for that I hate you.  And if you see my old man, Jack Kinney, tell him to fuck off from me.”

 

“Feel better kiddo?”  Debs asks gently.

 

“Much.”  He sighs.  “I had to be the good son at his funeral, don’t embarrass the family.  For years everyone thought he was…well he wasn’t and now I can finally say it.  You were a cunt Jack Kinney and I hate you!”  He starts to cry.  “I h-hate you so much!”

 

“Awww kiddo come here.”  Debs wraps her arms round him.

 

For a while, there is nothing but the sounds of their tears before Slick chuckles.  “Ain’t we a pair Kinney?”  He nods and smiles.  “There’s more booze in the car.”  Slick sniffles.

 

“Thank fuck for that!”  Brian snorts and soon we’re running to catch up with his long strides.

 

BRITIN – LATE EVENING

 

LOUNGE

 

JUSTIN

 

I’m looking out the window waiting for the car to come up the drive.  Debs said it was bad and I’ve not spoken to him.  He’s sent me a couple of texts though.  Soon I can see the lights of the car.

 

“He’s home.”  I breathe in relief and head to the door.  “I know.  But let him come in first.”  I order the impatient boys, especially Bagheera.

 

It was a rare night last night they were allowed in the bedroom so Bagheera knew something was wrong and has been camped by the front door ever since we came in from their walk.

 

”Hey.”  I smile at him after he’s got free of the enthusiastic puppy greeting.

 

“Hey.”  He replies tiredly and pulls me into his arms.  “Cabin for the rest of the week?  Please?”

 

“Of course. I was going to suggest Maryland but the Cabin at least gives you a work base.”

 

“Thank you.”  He sighs.  “How long will it take you to pack?”

 

“Already done.  We’ll go first thing in the morning.”

 

“Ice cream?”  He looks hopeful.

 

“One of each in a large tub.  This calls for a large tub. Why not go and have a bath whilst I order food for the week?”

 

“We’ll order together. It was fucking horrible.”

 

I let him lead me to the lounge. He grabs the laptop then puts his head in my lap.

 

He boots it up and looks up at me.  “Okay let’s start…”

 

CARNEGIE MELLON – TUESDAY LUNCHTIME

 

BEN’S OFFICE

 

ROBIN

 

“Oh my fucking God!  So good!”  I gasp quietly as he thrusts into me again.

 

“How close?”  He grunts pushing me flat against the desk and gripping the other side.

 

“Oh now!”  I groan and shudder out my orgasm.

 

“Unnhh!”  He grunts and punches the desk in an effort to keep the noise down.

 

“Professor Bruckner!”  A voice calls out.  “Is everything okay?”

 

“Yes Marcy!  Just knocked over some papers.  Robin’s helping me pick them up.”

 

“Okay.  I’m off to lunch. I’ll lock the outer door!  Just in case you knock the papers over again.”

 

“Thank you!”  He calls out, chuckling.

 

After a few minutes, we clean up and get dressed.

 

“So what did you want to see me about?”  He asks smirking.

 

“New York.”  He nods sagely.  “And stop being so fucking smug.”

 

“I never said a word!  It’s not my fault you weakened.  Let’s blame low blood sugar.  So what about New York?”

 

“Have you seen the hotel she’s booked?”  He shakes his head handing me some water.  “It’s the Baccarat opposite the Rockefeller Centre. You need to google it, and she’s also booked spa treatments for us all.”

 

“Baccarat as in Burt?”

 

“Jeez how old are you?”  I tease.

 

“Fuck off.”  He chortles.  “Oh my goodness, this is beautiful.  Just gorgeous.  Look, I know you’ve only just met her but Slick will do what Slick is going to do.  There is only one person that can stop her and he’s doing the flights.  So just think about me fucking you in that bed!”  

 

DINER – WEDNESDAY EARLY AFTERNOON

 

MICHAEL

 

I haven’t seen Brian in a while.  I had hoped to see him at the diner but so far nothing.

 

“Twinkle, please come here!”  Grim orders as he comes in and the diner goes quiet and Twinkle is quickly by his side.

 

Oh he’s fucked up. Good, let’s see what happens!

 

“Master Roman, please stand.  Do you accept?”

 

“It would be my honour.  As would be my honour to offer Snook for him.”  He replies.

 

“Snook, do you accept?”  Snook looks across at Roman who nods.

 

“It would be my honour Master Grim.”

 

“Perfect.  Now, Twinkle, I want you and Snook to go to Ross Park Mall. You are to go to Tiffany’s and there is an order in my name.”  Twinkle gasps.  “You are not allowed to look in it.  However, since you completed this task so perfectly, we are going to dinner tonight, the four of us. So you must buy a suitable outfit each; here is the money...”

 

Twinkle and Snook both dash to the door.  “Uh boys, you have forgotten a couple of things.”

 

They halt and then comes back.  “Sorry Master.”  Twinkle says and stands on his tiptoes and gives him a kiss and then bows to Roman.  And then Snook kisses Roman and bows to Grim.  Then they head back to the door.

 

“Boys!  Manners.”  Roman orders.

 

“Thank you Michael!”  They chorus and dash out.

 

“Not this thanking bullshit again.  What’s going on?” I grumble.

 

“Talking to yourself Michael? It’s the first sign of madness.”  I look up at Lindsay and scowl.

 

“The thanking thing has started again.”  I gripe.  “Where have you been for the last few days?  I’ve hardly seen you.”

 

“Apart from working with Catherine, just out and about.”

 

The door opening brings in Kyle and Brandon and they’re holding hands!

 

“Oh you’ve got to be kidding me!”  I snort, derisively.  “You’re so determined to shadow Brian that you’re now in a relationship.  If he jumped off a cliff, would you do it?”

 

“Only if I was chained to you.  But nice to know you finally acknowledge that Brian is in a relationship.”  Brandon quips and strides to the back booth and signals Kiki.

 

“Let’s move up a couple of tables.”  I whisper to Lindsay and she nods.

 

“So rumour has it that Richard is thinking of moving onto pastures new and Claire is going to be here full time?”  Brandon asks her.

 

“Not quite.  She’s training him up to cook the way she does as this is what the Avenue wants before she starts her apprenticeship at HHoF.  So what can I get you?”

 

“Lamb breast sandwich with avo and bacon and a large order of string fries.”  Brandon replies.

 

“Duck breast sandwich also with avo and the lemon dressing. We’re sharing the fries, right?”

 

Brandon nods before waving at someone but I am too busy scanning the menu to find the things he’s ordered to see who it is.

 

“Can you see anything that they ordered?”  I ask Lindsay and she shakes her head, frowning.

 

Mother comes out from the back and stiffens before approaching us.  “What can I get you?”

 

“Lamb breast sandwich for both of us.”  Lindsay replies.

 

“No lamb.”  She replies.

 

“How about the duck?”  She tries next.

 

“Debs!  Your tempura wings are in the window!”  Claire shouts and then dings the bell.

 

“Thanks honey!  No duck.”  She turns to the hatch.  “Claire!  Do we have any of the wings left?”

 

“Enough for two portions!”  She calls back.

 

“Mine!”  Kiki shouts and places the order.

 

“We’ve got about three French Dip.  Oh wait, make that four.  After that we’re done.”

 

“We’ll take two and the string fries.”  Lindsay orders.

 

“Fine.” She starts to turn away.

 

“Mother, I know you’ll most likely not tell me but why is everyone thanking me?”

 

“Because of the auction.”  She replies.  “Oh and thank you!”

 

“Why are they and you thanking him?”  Lindsay asks her.

 

“The auction was the stuff that he had entrusted to his dad.  His dad didn’t want them so he gave them to Slick and she sold them at the auction and is using the money to take all of us to New York for Justin’s show.”

 

I can actually feel Lindsay stiffening.

 

“And that’s not all.  He gave his father the same treatment he gave Brian.  But yet again no fraud charges…this is so much better.  You no longer have it and we get to go to New York.”

 

She heads back to the hatch and I can feel Lindsay’s eyes boring into my head.

 

“Michael.  I do not appreciate being told things like that when it’s not you telling me.  We have to be honest with each other.”  She taps my arm hard.  “Is that it? And I need you to be honest here, Michael.  Is there anything else I should know?”

 

“No.”  I sigh.  “Although I got to the money before he did.”

 

“What money?”

 

I tell her about the joint account and although part of her is annoyed, I can see she’s slightly impressed.

 

“You promise me that this is it?”

 

“I promise.”  I smile at her but then frown.  “So she’s using the money she got to take them all to New York. So fucking annoying!”  I grumble.

 

“Not necessarily.  I think Claire is wrapping up her shift.  You say absolutely nothing.  Do you understand?”

 

I nod as I’m much too busy eating.  As much as I hate to admit it, the French Dip sandwich is great.  Brandon and Kyle finish off their food and thank me again as they leave. So fucking annoying.

 

Fifteen minutes later, Claire joins us.  “Did you enjoy the French Dip?”  She asks, leaning back and closing her eyes.

 

“It was lovely.”  Lindsay replies.  “I can see why Emmett wants you to go across to him.”  She pauses.  “So are you going to be doing his show in New York with Emmett?”  She nods.  “By the way where are you staying? If our hotels are close enough, we can meet up.”

 

“Oh that would be great!  Slick has booked the Baccarat opposite the Rockefeller Centre and the Spa packages will be so needed at the end of the day.  So where are you?”

 

“The Viceroy, so not too far away.”  Lindsay smiles.  “You look bushed. Shall I hail you a cab?”

 

“No I’m good.  I’m just going to crash in the office.  See you guys.”

 

I wait for her completely disappear and look around.  “So…”  But she puts up a hand.

 

“Hi I wonder if you can help me.  My name is Slick Phoenix, I’ve booked…oh thank you I was going to say I’ve lost my confirmation number.  I just need to add two rooms, yes the names are Lindsay Peterson and Michael Novotny but they will be arriving the day before the rest of the group.  So two King rooms and the spa packages for them the next day.  Thank you, I couldn’t believe I missed off two off my best friends…I know it’s easily done, but still.  Thank you.  Bye.”

 

She sits back and smiles.  “There done.”

 

I just stare at her in awe.

 

OFFICE

 

CLAIRE

 

I look at Slick, Det. Bank and Crane.  “So you arrest them now, right?”  I demand.

 

“No.  We can’t because until they go to New York and attempt to commit the fraud.”  Det. Bank growls.

 

“Can I book the room for these two now?”  Lt. Shore nods and then shakes his head in disbelief.

 

“How the fuck are you so calm?”  Crane asks.

 

“Honestly?”  He nods.  “I have two, actually three stress relievers. Shopping, Shiraz and now sex…which reminds me need to loosen some ropes!  Bye now!”