- Text Size +

CHAPTER 73: NEW YORK, NEW YORK…THE DUMBASSES ARE COMING

 

GRIFFIN/BADER RESIDENCE – WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON

 

MICHAEL’S ROOM

 

MICHAEL

 

I can’t wait to get to New York!  It’s a shame the show was moved as I was looking forward to cancelling it but we wouldn’t be able to do this for MoMA…Lindsay says it’s too prestigious a place.

 

Lindsay was great with the hotel booking and when we got back we googled it and Slick doesn’t do half measures does she!  I wonder where she gets her money from. It can’t be from that garage of hers surely!

 

I haven’t seen Brian at all over the last ten days. I’ve seen Vomit Boy, of course covered in paint and whatnot earlier in the week but not since.  I’m still pissed that France and Casper have refused to let me help them but are helping his sister, who is artistically talented. Yeah right!  I have great ideas; it’s not my fault I can’t draw and for them to suggest I go back to school!  At my age?  Ridiculous!

 

Lindsay and I have been shopping.  I wanted to rent a tux when I got there but she said it would be better in the long run if I bought it, something about making economic sense.  She bought a long dress and jacket.

 

She’s just putting the finishing touches to her packing and then we fly out early tomorrow morning.

 

LINDSAY’S ROOM

 

LINDSAY

 

I can’t believe it!  I have tried every gallery in the district and nobody will hire me!  One of them actually laughed in my face and said not after what’s been said about me.  When I asked him what he meant, he said that word has gotten around that you are poison and not because of your jail time.  The only person who would speak badly of me is Justin and if he has, I will sue him for harassment.

 

I head downstairs with my case and find Catherine in the lounge, sipping on some wine, the good stuff.  Oh I can’t wait to get to New York for some decent wine!

 

“Are you all set?”  I nod smiling.  “What flights are you on and where are you staying?”

 

“We’re flying early tomorrow morning as we want to wander around a bit before the show and we come back on Tuesday.”

 

“Oh that’s nice and where are you staying again?”

 

“Sorry the Viceroy, it’s a boutique hotel.  I understand that Slick has been very generous and is paying for your hotels?  Where are you staying?”  I smile at her.

 

“Yes, such a lovely woman.  We’re at the Baccarat. Still can’t believe the spa package and Brian’s generosity too.”

 

“Brian’s generosity?”  Michael interrupts.  “You’ve seen Brian?”

 

“No, he and Justin were away last week and I think they are already in New York.  Still can’t believe he’s in MoMA at such a young age!”

 

“Yes, it’s wonderful for him.”  I blink rapidly.  “You mentioned Brian’s generosity. We both know his generous nature well, don’t we Michael?”  He nods, though I can feel his annoyance.

 

“Ah yes, well he and Justin were going to pay for all our flights.  But when he resigned one of his clients and jokingly asked if he could borrow his plane, he was surprised and delighted when the client said yes!”

 

“Wow and so all of you guys are going on that?”  Michael almost growls.

 

“Yes, I’m looking forward to it.  We come back next Wednesday, which is great because we wanted to be refreshed and rested in time for the wedding.”

 

“Wedding?”  I echo and Michael looks at me.

 

“Yes the Wedding of the Avenue has been moved to next Saturday.  Right, I have to meet Sandrine to talk strategy.  Have a safe flight.”

 

She drains her glass and heads to the kitchen. We are still standing there in surprise when she leaves about five minutes later.

 

“We dropped the ball on this wedding.”  I tell him and he nods grimly.  “We too will talk strategy on the plane.  I have to go and see Sidney. See you back here at six.”

 

He just nods and is still standing there when I come back from the kitchen.  I had hoped that there was some wine left but there isn’t.

 

“Michael come on.  Stop brooding! We will stop the wedding.”  I shake him.  “Just think of the lovely hotel that Slick is generously providing for us.”

 

He snickers at that and pulls on his jacket.  “Want to meet in the diner after you’ve finished your business with Sidney?”

 

“Yeah, it will take me about an hour.  What are you going to do?”

 

“Go to the storage unit to try and get some more of my clothes. Still can’t believe how much it cost to replace that lock and to pay Ben back.  He was such a prick about it!”

 

“Yes, that was such a shame.”  I try to keep the glee out of my voice.

 

DINER – EARLY AFTERNOON

 

MICHAEL

 

I’ve got some more of my clothes and when I’m back from New York, I shall be moving some of my most prized possessions in slowly but surely.  Since it’s my room and I pay rent, I can put what I want in it!

 

I’m waiting for Lindsay to come.  I’m starving and so far I’ve heard there’s no mac and cheese and no wings. I wish she would hurry up!

 

“What are you looking so antsy about?”  Mother asks pencil and pad in hand.

 

“The good stuff is going.”  I grumble.

 

“Well order then.”  She snaps sharply.

 

“Waiting for…ah here she is.  Lindsay quick, what do you want?”  I demand.

 

“A word with Justin for a start. Seems he’s been bad mouthing me round the art district.”  She gripes, almost tearing her coat off in fury.  “The fish burger and a salad please Debs.”

 

“Justin wouldn’t do that.  He doesn’t bad mouth people, unlike some people we all know.”  Mother glares at us.  “What do you want?”

 

“No more lamb!”

 

“Wait is Richard cooking?”  I ask, disappointed on both fronts.  “Where’s Claire?”

 

“What do you mean where’s Claire?”  Mother frowns at me.  “She’s in New York with Ems setting up for Justin’s show.  Now what do you want to eat?”

 

Lindsay and I exchange astonished looks.  “She’s helping Emmett?  You mean, he’s seriously doing the catering?”  Lindsay gasps.  “That’s unbelievable!”

 

“Why?”  Mother growls.

 

“It’s just I can’t see Emmett at the MoMA, you know…”

 

“I couldn’t see you two in jail but look what happened there!”  She snaps.

 

“No fish and no French Dip!”  Richard yells.

 

“Oh I really wanted the fish burger.”  Lindsay grumbles and cuts her eye at mother.

 

“Well if you’re dining companion had ordered, I would’ve got back there sooner.”

 

“I’ll have the steak burger and salad, Michael?”

 

“Cheeseburger and fries.”  She waits tapping on her pad.

 

“Please.”  Lindsay adds grudgingly whilst I mumble thank you. She stomps away, shaking her head.

 

“Emmett Honeycutt at the MoMA?  How absurd! He is going to stand out so badly with his obvious ways.”  I scoff.

 

“Hmm but it is going to look excellent on his website.  Wonder why they didn’t change caterers though? I would’ve…”

 

“Because Brian and Justin don’t shit on their friends.”  Ted interrupts us before striding to the back booth.

 

He’s soon joined by Slick, Mel and Ben.  Kiki waves at them and then brings out their food at the same time as ours and I can see that Ben has the fish burger.

 

“How come Ben has that?”  I demand.

 

“Because they used common sense and phoned ahead.”  Sarah stops mother from approaching.  “Ted wants to talk to you. It's about New York.”

 

She nods and hands her the plates.  “Ted, do I need my glasses?”

 

“Yes Debs, you’ve got to sign some things.”  He calls back and she heads to get them.

 

Lindsay nods her head and we stand to move up a table but Slick turns round and stares coldly at us.  “Sit back down. I’m pretty sure that Debs will take great pleasure in telling you what we’re discussing.”

 

“I will.  I’ll be right there to fill you in.”  She smirks.

 

“So what happened to upset you with Vomit Boy?”  I ask as we sit back down.

 

“I went to see him to speak to him about the rumours going round the art district but he refused to open the door.”  She huffs.  “I know he was in there...”

 

“Justin is in New York.”  Mother interrupts her.  “I know that Casper and France are using his studio for the class so it was most probably them you heard.”  She shoves me along and clears her throat.  “So we’re going to New York as you know but as well as hotels Slick is providing spending money.  So we needed to sign some documentation.  Oh do you know about the private plane?”

 

“Yes.”  Lindsay grinds out.  “Well we need to be going soon.  I need to speak to Sidney before I get on the plane tomorrow.”

 

“Sidney is in New York with Justin.  He’s got some agent and gallery meetings ahead of the show.”  She beams.  “So proud of him.”

 

“Debs order up!”  Richard shouts.

 

“Well see you on Friday.  Have a safe flight!”  She calls back as she heads to the hatch.

 

SLICK

 

Those two are complete imbeciles.  I mean seriously!  I had a meeting this morning with the detectives and Carl. Although part of me hopes they aren’t going to be stupid and try to leave without paying, I suspect they will.  And if they do, they will be given four days to make good. If not, then they will be arrested and charged with fraud.

 

“They’ve scurried out.”  Ted sighs and leans back in his seat. Debs slides in next to him and we all look at each other amused and then start chuckling.

 

“I’ve just thought of something.”  I snicker and grab my phone.  “Hey Jennifer, you good?  All packed and ready for the off?  Quick question, have you heard from Michael or Lindsay at all?  Nothing.  Oh well Friday should be interesting.  Yeah see you tomorrow.”

 

“What?”  Mel asks.

 

“Nope not going to spoil the surprise!”  I stand up and shake my head and walk out laughing.

 

BACCARAT HOTEL – THURSDAY AFTERNOON

 

BRIAN AND JUSTIN’S SUITE

 

BRIAN

 

“Oh yes!”  I moan as he slides back in and kisses and mouths my shoulder.  “Unh!”

 

“Good?”  He whispers.

 

“Oh! Oh!  Oho!”  I yelp as he thrusts sharply three times surprising me with the change in tempo.  “Yep so good!”

 

“Good answer.  Oh Christ you feel so great!  Ah do that again!”

 

I clench and he gasps before he starts to shudder and second later I follow him almost tearing the sheets.  He slumps across my back and as we lay there getting our breath back, he strokes my hair and then chuckles.

 

“What's so funny?”  I mumble, he starts to move off me.  “Spoon?”  I look hopefully over my shoulder.

 

He nods and we swap positions and I slide into him, his breath hitching is just what I want to hear.  “So what’s so funny?”

 

“Your hair.  You almost queened…hey get back in me, I said almost!”  He wiggles his butt back and I laugh.  “When you thought he was taking too much and said it has to be that length as I like to pull it when we fuck.”

 

“He was taking off too much and you do like to pull it when we fuck.”  I point out, canting my hips up.

 

“Less talking…more canting.”  He pants and grabs my hand.

 

“Yes my bossy bottom.”  I growl in his ear and his chuckle turns into a purr.

 

LINDSAY’S ROOM

 

LINDSAY

 

I have to say this place is magnificent and so well appointed. MoMA is literally around the corner.  We’ve realised that we need to eat in our rooms or outside as we don’t want to run the risk of bumping into them in the dining room.  And since Slick is being so generous, who are we to turn that down?

 

“What did you order?”  Michael settles down on the sofa and puts his feet on the table but at my glare, he takes them down.

 

“The scallops, what about you?”  I have a feeling he’s done something silly.

 

“The ribeye.”  He cocks his head as he thinks the door has knocked.

 

“Michael?  They will ring when they are on their way up and I don’t think you should’ve ordered the steak.”

 

“Why not?  After everything she’s done to me...  Besides she wouldn’t be able to do this if she hadn’t sold my collectibles.”

 

I have to agree there.  “Have you hung your tuxedo?”  He nods and looks eagerly at me when the phone rings.  “Yes, thank you.”  I hang up and nod.

 

“Great!  What package did you book?”

 

“La Mer Body Treatment.  What about you?”

 

“Oh nothing. I’m not into that kind of thing.”  He replies to my puzzled expression.

 

I shrug and then open the door for our food.  After we’re served, I watch him shovel his food in and sigh inwardly.

 

“It’s a shame you’re missing out on a wonderful treat.  The eye massage and deep tissue for example, is so Brian.”

 

“Really?”  He mumbles round a mouthful of food and whilst still chewing picks up the phone, leaving a smear of tomato sauce on it.

 

Amazing... say that Brian would do it and suddenly he’s into that kind of thing!

 

BEN AND ROBIN’S SUITE – EVENING

 

BEN

 

“You know, I must have been really stressed out.”  I call out to Robin, who is getting dressed for dinner.  

 

“Why is that?”  He comes out and whistles appreciatively.

 

“Not too shabby yourself.”  I look at my watch and wonder if we could meet a bit later but he just shakes his head at me.  “Worth a try.  Oh yeah stressed... I thought I heard the nasal whine of Michael in the spa.”

 

He snorts with derision.  “The only way he would be there is if someone else paid and even then it would only be if Brian was doing it.”

 

“True.”  I lick my lips and smile.  “Are you sure we can't be a tiny bit late?”

 

“Absolutely so get your shoes on and let’s go!”  He orders, smacking me on the ass.

 

“How is that helping me not to jump you?”  I call at his retreating back, but he just ignores me while laughing.

 

DET. CRANE’S ROOM

 

Even a standard room is better than my apartment!  Ms Phoenix will be reimbursed by the department for our rooms.  I'm waiting for Bank to come and report.  The door knocks and I let him in.

 

“Well?”

 

“Both went to the spa and got treatments, though he bitched through his and they’ve racked up a sizeable room service bill already.”

 

“Easy to spend other people's money.”  Bank remarks dryly.

 

PETIT SALON

 

BRIAN

 

This room is gorgeous!  Justin is just gazing out the window quietly, trying to take it all in.  

 

“Beautiful, isn’t it?”  I whisper in his ear.

 

“Mmmm.”  He sighs and tilts his head up for a kiss and I happily oblige.  “Still can’t quite believe it.  None of it.”

 

“And you did this all by yourself. It’s because of your talent, your bravery and your determination.  And I love every part of you.”

 

“Good because I couldn’t have done this without your support and love and I love every little idiosyncrasy you have.”

 

“I do not have idiosyncrasies; I have flawed perfection, like an uncut diamond.”

 

“Modest as usual.”  Emmy Lou throws his arm across my shoulder and gives me a kiss on the cheek.  “And thank you for not cancelling me.”

 

“Never in a million years.”  I kiss him on his chin.   “Without you, all of you, I would be a basket case.”

 

“Ladies and gentlemen, if you would like to take your seats dinner is about to be served.”

 

I look across at Slick, who is looking happy but thoughtful.  She catches my look and mouths I’m okay and lifts her glass.  

 

I raise mine and mouth me too.  

 

MoMA – FRIDAY EVENING

 

SIDNEY

 

Well, here we go!  All three of my charges are doing well.  Justin remembered the speaker notes cards although he doesn’t seem to be referring to them very much and when he does he goes pink and judging by the smirk on Brian’s face, this is something to do with him!  Oh well whatever gets him through it.

 

Janelle from Mitheson is here looking like a proud mother hen.  Jacinta Fox has already spoken to Justin and agreed a time for the portrait, in November.  All in all, it is going marvellously.

 

As I head to speak to one of the board members, I spot Lindsay and her cohort by the desk and judging by the expression on her face, she’s not getting her own way. With the way he is glaring, I definitely see a scene developing.  

 

“As I said madam, this ticket is valid for the Mitheson Gallery, not MoMA. Without the other email and…”

 

“Can I speak to the manager please?”  Lindsay demands.

 

Inwardly, I groan.  But before I can go across, I spot Sandrine and Jennifer heading determinedly in their direction.  And Lindsay’s spotted them too. Oh this is not going to be pretty but gosh darn it, it will be fun!

 

SANDRINE

 

“Lindsay, Michael you made it.”  I look pointedly at my watch.  “You missed most of the artist speeches though.  Well come-come, let’s circulate, there’s many a person that you should meet.”

 

“I’m sorry Mrs St Bride but they don’t have the correct tickets.”  The receptionist tells me.  

 

“As I have already told this person, these are the tickets that were sold to us at his Roof Warming Party.  His mother sold them to me!”  Michael manages to keep the snark out of his voice, but only just barely.

 

“That’s correct but when you didn’t reply to the email confirming revalidation, we refunded the money.”  Jennifer’s voice drips ice as does her stare.

 

“I didn’t receive an email from you.”  He takes out his phone to check.  “Nothing at all.”

 

“The email might be in your junk folder as I haven’t emailed you before, so check in there?”  Jennifer takes a calming breath.   “Anyway, since you are here, you need to just pay for new tickets and enjoy the rest of the evening.”  

 

Michael starts to blush, so I assume he has found the email.  “Did you find it Michael?”  

 

He nods jerkily and at Lindsay’s glare and nudge, hands over his card for new tickets.  

 

“Thank you sir, that will be $140 charged to your card.”  The receptionist smiles sweetly and I have to bite my lip to stop from laughing at the sourpuss expression on Michael’s face.  “That’s all done for you sir, enjoy the rest of your evening.”

 

“Now follow me and we’ll get your coats taken and some refreshments.”  I lead the way with Jennifer behind them, no doubt trying also not to laugh.

 

“Thank you Sandrine. Sorry about the confusion earlier. I should’ve double checked when Sidney told us about the move.”  Lindsay simpers.  

 

“Not a problem.”  I smile at her.  “It’s easy to forget the simplest of things when you’ve been out of the job market for a while.”  I turn to Jennifer.  “Bless you dear, I hope you’re not coming down with a cold.”

 

“Thank you and I hope not as well.”  Jennifer replies sweetly.  “Excuse me, I must go and join Justin and the rest of them.”

 

JENNIFER

 

Oh my God, I had to get away!  I could not believe how she slipped that one in and then covered for me with a bless you when I squeak/snorted.

 

Justin is doing so well and has a stack of cards, which of course Brian is taking off him like the dutiful partner he is while beaming with pride.  Although there was a moment with a slightly over solicitous art critic, Sidney soon put a stop to that before Brian did.

 

Just as Justin starts to bite his lip, immediately Brian is by his side with his hand at the small of his back and he hands him a speaker’s card.  The look on his face is priceless!  I suspect a whole lot of filth was on there!

 

“They have a huge turnout.”  Lindsay’s saccharine tones interrupt my thoughts.  

 

“Yes, I’m very proud.”  I return her smile with exactly the same sweetness.  “Catherine told me that you are no longer actually in the life classes with Terez anymore.  You were very brave to do that in the first place.”

 

She flicks her hair and smiles a more genuine smile.  “Thanks. It was a little intimidating but I wanted to be taken seriously as an artist so I couldn’t really do that…”

 

“Understandable.  But Terez is a natural at posing and drawing.”  

 

“Posing, yes as we can see.”  She looks derisively over her shoulder at Terez, who is talking animatedly with another guest.  “But drawing?”  

 

“Yes Catherine was telling me that you admired her pieces, in her classroom the first time you were there.  I think Sidney’s trying to persuade her to show.  Catherine has taken some pictures of her drawings just in case.”  Her face was a picture.  “But she’s too shy for that.”

 

“Shy?”  Michael mutters.  “Are you talking about the same Terez who wore that dress to dinner the last time and practically sat in my lap?”  

 

“Well at least she knows enough to take the label off her clothes before she wears it unless you’re planning to take it back?”  Slick drawls and as soon as she’s said her piece, she waltzes off.

 

Now I know that Slick is a pretty woman but she looks beautiful tonight!  Their jaws almost hit the floor when they see her and continue to stare at her retreating back.

 

“Are you going to join us or would you like to circulate on your own for a moment?”  I ask them but they don’t respond.  “Lindsay?”

 

“Sorry Jennifer.”  Her smile is brittle.  “I thought I recognised someone over there.  We will circulate and then join you later.”

 

“Fine, see you in about 20 minutes in the room next door.  It’s a sit down 3 course dinner.”

 

I let that sink in for a few minutes…Michael has the manners, eating style and personality of a warthog!

 

SLICK

 

I have caught the gang up on the ticket debacle.  Unless it is based on comics, he just doesn’t have an interest.  Michael’s life would be so much better if he paid attention to the wider world!  And Lindsay’s would be easier if she didn’t think everything is owed to her… Sandrine said that her mom is very much to blame for that.

 

Justin has now got into his stride and is doing really well.  It’s so cute when Brian and he give each other that look when they think nobody's looking.

 

Time to walk around again.

 

MICHAEL

 

God, this is boring!  Well not entirely boring but I can’t get to the people I want to get to.  France, Casper and Matilda are on the other side talking to other people.  I head to see what makes him so special and I don’t understand it but I suppose the portrait of her mother is okay and then I see them… the little pad of red dots.  

 

I head back to join Lindsay and beam at her.  “What’s got you so smiley all of a sudden?”  She asks grabbing another glass of champagne.

 

“Oh nothing much.”  I smirk.

 

Now she’s going to know what it feels like to lose something important to her… or at least think she has!

 

Ten minutes later, there’s a flurry of activity and concerned expressions on the faces of Sidney, Jennifer, Sandrine, Justin and the look of pure devastation on Slick’s face.

 

“Wonder what’s happened?”  I ask Lindsay and nod in that direction.

 

“No idea but let’s go and find out.”  Lindsay says and we start to head in that direction.

 

“What’s happened?”  Lindsay asks Sidney.

 

“Nothing you need concern yourself with.”  He growls.  “Excuse me a minute, I’ll be right back.”

 

For ten minutes, there’s hushed whispering and then Lindsay gasps.  “What’s wrong?”  I ask.

 

“Something serious.  That’s Catriona Barker-Wiles, she’s on the board.  She’s in charge of this part of the event.  I have to know what’s going on!  Be right back.”

 

As I watch them rush about I can’t help the smug feeling and wait for Lindsay’s return.

 

Ten minutes later, she’s back and looking frustrated.  “Couldn’t find out a thing!”  She whispers to me.  “But whatever it is has been sorted out and it looks like we’re heading in for dinner.”

 

Okay it was a brief 10 minutes of hell for her to suffer considering what she put me through but it was worth it.  The expression on her face was so worth it.

 

LINDSAY

 

Dammit!  Whatever has happened nobody is telling but I know it had something to do with Slick.  Catriona seems to be comforting her as is Brian.

 

“Ladies and gentlemen!  Please, can we have the guests for the top table first?!”  The MC booms.

 

“Wonder where Emmett and Claire are?”  Michael asks me and I look at him as if he’s mad.

 

“They’re caterers.  Where do you think they will be in?  In the kitchen of course.”

 

“Guests for tables 2 and 3 please!”  

 

“Michael, what’s our table number?”  I ask him and he shrugs; I want to scream.  “The number is on the back of our tickets.”

 

He fishes them out of his pocket and I grimace, we’re on table 3.  “Come on!”  I hiss and almost have to drag him along with me.

 

As we sit down, I look at the top table and, of course, the artists and their partners are there but it’s table 2 that is the most irritating.  It seems our artiste du jour as Sandrine calls him has managed to commandeer that table for his guests so we’re on the next table with the other artists guests.  And if that wasn’t bad enough both Emmett and Claire are also on that table!

 

I try to make the most of a bad situation but it is made worse by a comment from one of the guests prattling on about how jealous she is that the placement at the Mitheson Gallery for the spring/summer has been filled by one so young!

 

“So Justin’s doing the placement. No wonder the wedding was brought forward.”  I whisper to Michael and he nods.

 

As we eat, I can’t help but feel a little uncomfortable at the looks that are coming from their table.  Especially from Carl and Sidney.

 

“Isn’t the food exquisite?”  One of them clucks and Michael and I exchange exasperated looks.

 

Yes it’s good but not exquisite.  “I’m not surprised that they’ve been asked to do the party for the summer showing.  Dinner was late because they were trying to persuade him and he was unsure, but his friend Brian…that’s Justin’s fiancé…told him if he didn’t do it he would and I quote cut his balls off and make them earrings.

 

Oh you have got to be fucking kidding me!

 

MICHAEL

 

Thank fuck this evening is over!  It’s been long and boring in places and there is a huge queue for coats.

 

“Michael, Lindsay did you enjoy yourselves?”  Carl asks and we both nod.

“I’m glad.”  He smiles and then grimaces at the line.  “Give me your tickets, being a special guest of one of the artists has its advantages.”

 

Two minutes later, he’s back with our coats and I inwardly heave a sigh of relief.  “Come on let’s go.”

 

As we head outside with her, there is a fleet of limousines.  “We’re in this one!”  He smiles and holds the door open for us to get in.  “It’s the Viceroy correct?”  He asks and we look blankly at him.  “The hotel you’re staying in, Catherine said you are at the Viceroy, that’s right isn’t it?”

 

“Oh yes!”  Lindsay exclaims.  “Sorry I zoned out for a minute.”

 

“Yeah, it has been a long day.  So I’ll drop you off first.  Going to meet some buddies of mine at a bar I know.”  He leans forward to tell the driver where to drop us off.  “What plans for the rest of the time you are here?”

 

“Just bits and pieces, what about you?”  Lindsay replies.  “We were hoping to meet up with the rest of the fam…”

 

“Ah not Saturday or Sunday, but can definitely do Monday. Catherine said you go on Tuesday you said correct?”

 

I nod.  “So what are you doing at the weekend?”  I ask.

 

“Justin has organised a special treat for us…”

 

“Oh what’s that an art class with the man of the moment?  I bet Brian will love that.”  I smirk.

 

“Yes he did it with him in mind to thank him for all his support.”  He blathers.  “We’re going to Los Angeles. We couldn’t believe it when they told us at dinner last night!  I’ve never been to Rodeo Drive.  Brian has already said he needs to buy another suitcase and the kids are beyond excited.  Oh this is you.”

 

As the car pulls up and we get out the biting wind hits me.  “Call your mom or Catherine, Lindsay, tomorrow to organise a time to meet on Monday.  Good night!”

 

“Good night!”  We call back and head inside the hotel lobby.

 

“Can I help you?”  The doorman asks.

 

“No thank you.”  I reply and we watch the car finally leave.

 

It took us another fucking hour to get back to our hotel!

 

BRIAN AND JUSTIN’S SUITE – SATURDAY MORNING

 

JUSTIN

 

I know I shouldn’t be so upset but I am!

 

“So it was just a mix up?”  I ask again.

 

“That’s what I was told.”  Brian strokes my hair as I rest my head on his chest.  “Of all the pictures it had to be that one.”

 

“Mmm.”  I play with his happy trail.

 

“So this extra week we are supposed to be staying? We’re not now?”  He asks.

 

“No.  I spoke to Janelle and explained what I wanted to do and she said it’s fine to move it later in year, maybe even August.  You’re not upset, are you?”

 

“Hmm, my fiancé is taking me to Los Angeles, yeah I’m devastated. Though Ted and I need discuss exactly who he is loyal to.  What time’s the flight again?”

 

“I only use my twink powers for good.”  I snicker.  “Uh flight is at midday but we have to be at the airport by 1030 because we have to check in.  And that’s all you get to know.”

 

He flips me on my back and kisses me deeply.  “Not those powers, I presume.”  He growls.

 

“Oh no.  Those are for you and you alone forever.”  I kiss the tip of his nose whilst palming his cock.

 

“Shower fuck?”  He groans hotly in my ear.

 

“Absolutely.”

 

DET. BANK’S ROOM

 

BANK

 

I open the door to Crane and an incandescent looking Miss Phoenix.

 

“What’s happened?”  I ask and Crane shrugs.

 

“Have you ever been to an art show?”  She asks, pacing.

 

“Uh no.”  I reply.

 

“Well when you go to these things and something has been…”

 

“Miss Phoenix…”  I begin.

 

“Slick, my friends call me Slick.”

 

“Okay, Slick can you sit down? You’re making me dizzy.”

 

She smiles apologetically and sits down.  “Well when something has been sold you put a red sticker on it.”

 

“Right.”

 

“That fucker put a red sticker on my mom’s portrait.”

 

“Which fucker and why is that so anger inducing?”  I ask. It is far too early for this.

 

“Novotny?”  Crane asks and she nods.  “Remember Bank, her father is, I mean was Pernell Harriman and Carl told us about him.  Novotny knows the story…”

 

“Oh.  Oh!  Jesus what is wrong with that man?!”

 

“Not sure.  But if they don’t pay and you have to arrest them, is there any chance you can make it as painful and as public as possible?”

 

“Sure.”  Crane smiles and nods.

 

“Great!  I’ll handle the public.”

 

“We’ll do the painful!”

 

They actually hi-five!

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively.  Thanks.